Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The Tenebrous
The Tenebrous
May 6 2008, 8:36 pm
By: Vrael
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >

Aug 29 2010, 10:28 pm Vrael Post #121

Quote from TiKels
Am I going to get any credit for helping you design the puzzle?
No, you didn't help design it lol
Quote from TiKels
And you were talking about me right? The 5 minute part.
Yeah, that was you.

Quote from Xero
Eh, I dunno what happened, but I had full house and when we reached lvl 12, we couldn't pick our spells. And because of that, it was GG. This wasn't a problem in your past versions though.
Hrm. I think this happened just because I had been testing some spells out, I think I already fixed it though. Maybe I need to update my map link.

Quote from name:private_parts
How you going on this Vrael?
I haven't had a chance to work on this really since my last post above where I mentioned the spell upgrades. When SC2 came out I played that a lot for like, two weeks, then I had work and other stuff to do and now I'm getting settled back into the school groove. I'll probably pick back up on this within another week or two, once I get my fall semester rhythm down.

None.

Aug 29 2010, 10:34 pm payne Post #122

:payne:

Quote from name:private_parts
Lolol thanks ETEFT. I'm still trying to work on that map, damn university! Hope your enjoying what I've done so far.
I'm still waiting for the released version to try it out. :crazy:

None.

Aug 30 2010, 9:04 am Oh_Man Post #123

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

@Vrael
Yeh exactly the same happened with me here, I worked on HA hella heaps, got as much done as I could before my release date, and then did a bit more... and then SC2 came out! I played that through and through and now uni is back so I have had to put HA on the backburner which is real annoying because it is so close to completion aarggh! Well good luck with your map and I'm going to try and race you to the finish line!

@PP
Lol sorry yeah read what I said to Vrael. You can play the version I have now if you want to get a taste for what the game will be like though. You still get a good 40 or so minutes of gameplay.

Sep 14 2010, 4:29 pm embryownage Post #124

got this spread around the dorm, sooo fun pvping and looting peoples corpses, doing quests and stuff. A bit buggy here and there but freaking best map I've ever played despite. we're all wondering if this is ever going to be finished because we're dieing for more

my hat is off to you

None.

Dec 29 2010, 9:26 am Vrael Post #125

http://cid-681c2250300dd052.office.live.com/self.aspx/The%20Tenebrous/Tenebrous%20RPG.scx

The spells are all functional. Below is a description of each one:

Level 4 Spells:

Cocoon: Swaps out your hero with an invincible cocoon for about 10 seconds. Your hero gains roughly 200 life by medic during that time.
Mana Cost - 25

Thorns: Spawns lurkers and moves them beneath your hero. DT/Marine/Firebat get 8, and Hydralisk heroes get 4, since hydras get free lurker upgrades. Lasts a while, and will stay for multiple battles if time hasn't run out. If you're using a DT/Hydra when you get to level 4 you will get this spell. Careful of splashing your allies!
Mana Cost - 40

Magic Bolt: Spawns 3 ghosts. Same as Thorns really, just different units. If you're using a Marine/Fbat when you get to level 4 you will get this spell.
Mana Cost - 40

Level 8 Spell:

Teleport: During battle, moving in a given direction will jump you further in that direction. The spell will fail occasionaly because Starcraft is a n00b. This can be used outside battle, in which case a wraith spawns to give you more precise jumping movement. You can only teleport to walkable terrain!
Mana Cost - 10/jump

Level 12 Spells:

Entangling: A bunch of defilers will appear around your enemy/enemies, trapping them in one place, and while they're stuck in there they will take magic damage.
Mana Cost - 70

Mana Shield: Invincibility! Need more be said?
Mana Cost - 12/second

Level 16 Spells:

Firebolt: A wraith spawns above you and flies at your enemies, exploding and dealing magic damage on contact. Auto-targets.
Mana Cost - 45

Decoy: A small decoy appears which your enemies just can't seem to get away from, drawing all their fire for you.
Mana Cost - 25

Freeze: 10 of your enemies will get stuck in stasis - but you'll still be able to hit them! Auto-stasises.
Mana Cost - 75 + cooldown

Gravity Well: All your enemies will get pulled to you, and at the center where you are, they will take magic damage.
Mana Cost - 10/second

Level 20 Spells:

Firewall: As you walk, you will leave a trail of exploding magic. Think Diablo II Sorceress fire trail spell.
Mana Cost - 60

Blink Strike: Okay, I stole some wc3 spells. Teleports you to your enemy and does some magic damage. Auto-Targets.
Mana Cost - 30

Cloaking Field: You become invisible to your enemies in a large area around you. Leaving this area will cause you to become visible, but re-entering it will re-cloak you.
Mana Cost - 25 + 2/second

Cripple: A bunch of defilers surround your enemy, and a corsair D-webs them. While underneath the Dweb, your enemy will be unable to cast spells. However, this spell can be Dispelled.
Mana Cost - 60

Level 24 Spells:

Pulse: Actually 2 pulses. 2 small pulses of magic damage surrounding you in quick succession.
Mana Cost - 20

Slow: Will slow movement speed of enemy units from each enemy player present. This spell might need trigger improvement.
Mana Cost - 8/s

Dispel: Removes all enemy spell effects. Its the only spell that can be cast while you are silenced. It can stop a firebolt in midair :)
Mana Cost - 25

Silence: Stops all enemies in the battle from casting additional spells. However, if they're already channeling something that will keep going.
Mana Cost - 6/second

Level 28 Spells

Spirit Burn: Draws wildly on your mana reserves to do direct magic damage to a single enemy. This spell channels, but its hard to stop before you run out of mana.
Mana Cost: 72/second (6/scarab)

Stasis Trap: Leaves small traps laying around the map. Up to 9 can be placed at any given time. If an enemy unit/units walks into the trap, they will get stuck there and take magic damage. Unused traps will be refunded mana cost at the end of a battle.
Mana Cost - 50/trap

Repulsor: I really need to think up a better name for this. Any enemy units that get close will be pushed back, essentially making you immune to melee damage.
Mana Cost - 6/push-unit

Kamikaze - Spawns 9 suicidal zerglings which run at an enemy unit, and then explode, each dealing magic damage. They can be controlled while running around for better effect.
Mana Cost - 25

Level 32 Spells:

Meteor: Spawns siege tanks on the cliff edges for 1 shot of massive damage. If you're lucky, you'll get 2 shots by drawing your enemies from one side of the battle arena to the other while the tanks are still hanging around. Watch out for splash damage - it can hurt you too just like a real meteor! Its the most powerful quick damage spell in the game, though comes with a high mana cost.
Mana Cost - 125

Death Strike: Spawns a single battlecruiser for a 1 shot of 2000 damage. Most powerful single shot spell in the game.
Mana Cost - 90

Ghosts of the Past: I'm mad because I thought of and made this spell before blizzard made that SC2 trailer with the same name. Anyway, the spell will target 1 of your enemies, using a Dead Body to disable him and make him run around uncontrollably. Fun to watch.
Mana Cost - 10/second

Stun: Stuns enemies, making them unable to attack and susceptible to damage for 5 seconds.
Mana Cost - 40

Reward/Hidden/Quest Spells:

Hellfire: Uses interceptors to fly across your arena randomly, and any time they collide with an enemy unit they deal magic damage. Lasts until the battle ends. Pretty freakin awsome spell to see in SC.
Mana Cost - 100

Shield Golem: Spawns a golem with 2500 health that grants you invincibility until it dies. Micro the golem for greater effect! Golem also has 95 damage attack and 24 armor.
Mana Cost - 80

Mana Wave: A huge wave of battlecruisers runs across your enemies, dealing magic damage to any enemy they come in contact with.
Mana Cost - 70

Note that all mana costs are not final. I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do before the maps done.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 29 2010, 9:33 am by Vrael.

None.

Dec 29 2010, 10:32 pm TiKels Post #126

Quote from Vrael
Quote from TiKels
Am I going to get any credit for helping you design the puzzle?
No, you didn't help design it lol
I was the one who told you to randomize where each of the four locations start, greatly lowering the chance of just passing on the "code" to your friends.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 23 2011, 7:15 am Vrael Post #127

Hey I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still trucking on this. It's been a few months since I posted. In that time I lost about a months worth of work due to a motherboard meltdown, but I have since re-done everything I lost plus some.

Most of the core gamplay mechanics are done. Spells, Items, PvP, shops, battles, ect, pretty much all work with maybe a few bugs here or there but are fully triggered and almost fully functional.

The story however is getting trashed and redone completely. The actual written story isn't going to be much different, but I'm going to re-do every single quest that I have done (which isnt many) to fit my new, better-thought-out plan. There will also be a lot of quests and stuff added that doesn't exist yet too, don't worry :) Some quests are probably buggy to the point of ruining the map right now, so if you play the current version, save often or something.

I also shifted all spells earlier by 4 levels. Teleport is now a level 4 spell along with cocoon/thorns/magic bolt, and now the last level you get a spell is 28 instead of 32. except for the bonus spells. Teleport is just so lacking in fun, but necessary for the map, that I wanted to move the spells up.

And maybe I'll mention your name in the map somewhere Tikels. maybe ;)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 23 2011, 7:20 am by Vrael.

None.

Aug 10 2011, 4:02 pm Oh_Man Post #128

Keep on trucking Vrael, I'll race you to the finish line!

Dec 5 2011, 9:54 pm Tempz Post #129

I played this map a while back and noticed the bottom rightish area was blank... any updates to this?

None.

Jan 3 2012, 9:04 am Vrael Post #130

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to you Tempz. The bottom right area is blank still unfortunately, but the good news is, I think all I have left to do is the quests. Honestly, the terrain and stuff for that quadrant of the map wont take long, and I have a general idea of what's going to go there anyway. I'm redoing every quest from scratch, because the old ones were so glitchy. So far I've redone the bar quest, the battle in the castle bottom left, and the battle in the temple top left. I just uploaded a new version now, link's in the opening post. Currently the Dragon in the top left quarter of the map is the only boss/quest on the map which I can say is 100% complete, but at least one is!

None.

Jan 26 2012, 2:32 pm Oh_Man Post #131

Lol. While rereading Eragon I found another interesting thing:
"Several miles east, a mountain of bare rock speared the sky with spires and columns, a tenebrous nightmare ship. Near-vertical sides rose out of the ground like a jagged piece of the earth's bone." p247

Is this where you found your inspiration?

Jan 26 2012, 6:15 pm Vrael Post #132

Nope. This is:

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/1999/05/

None.

Sep 5 2013, 12:51 pm Jack Post #133

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Attempting to pay the 2000 gold for the monks to train you results in a stuck unit that can't move anywhere. No one else can train, the mana rises to 2000 and stays there, town portal doesn't work and yeah :(

Other than that, fairly enjoyable so far. Bit of grinding involved and a VERY strong Death Knights 3 vibe :P

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 7 2014, 9:53 am Stranger Post #134

Seems extra nice, I'll definitly try it out as soon as I have a moment to do so :)

Please, don't stop working on this :D

None.

Mar 7 2014, 1:49 pm LoveLess Post #135

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Stranger
Please, don't stop working on this :D

That's like telling a pregnant woman to not get pregnant.

None.

Mar 7 2014, 2:30 pm Stranger Post #136

Hmm, that's too bad.

Didn't see Vrael's latest posting date :/

None.

Apr 5 2014, 6:41 pm Son- Post #137

the dl dosent work any1 have a way to get this map?

None.

Apr 5 2014, 10:31 pm Vrael Post #138

I'll dig up my latest version and PM you a link.

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been busy.

None.

Apr 5 2014, 10:36 pm LoveLess Post #139

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Vrael
I haven't forgotten about this. Just been busy.
Lies.

None.

Apr 6 2014, 8:29 am x)aCe(x Post #140

What's the ETA for completion?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum