Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The Tenebrous
The Tenebrous
May 6 2008, 8:36 pm
By: Vrael
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >

Dec 10 2009, 8:20 am Vrael Post #81

Quote from NudeRaider
I really like where this is going. Hope you get some decent story in the short time that's left. Anything of the story you feel like revealing?
Story should be the main focus on here on out, hopefully the main story will be done by december's end. And like any good mapmaker, I must respectfully decline to reveal more of the story in order to get people to play it and find out instead!

Quote from name:Ultimo
[color=#C876DC]Man, the hero and the king are so grumpy in the intro! Why can't they just get along? Also, what's with the random centerview after you look at that castle-looking thing in the intro? It center-viewed right under where the cutscene took place. That first quest was hard, those bandits totally owned me, and I can't re-do it? =( Also, are quests independent for each player? Also, maybe some sort of pinging sound or any sound when people talk? That's just purely preference, I've always liked some sound to go with dialogue. Also, I like how the medics disappeared randomly in the middle of the bar, they didn't even bother to use the door! :P Also, invisible heroes rock. ;)
The golem was kinda hard, lol, he like 6 shot me. Also, is magic shot supposed to transfer through battles? It lasted for at least 3 battles for me every time I used it.
• King and hero are grumpy because the map is about the ugly side of human nature.
• Random center view is because there's a small delay in the intro between the end of the text and the hero spawning, I forget why.
• Quests are not independant for each player (the bar quest always gives me freaking bugs though), and no you can not re-do it.
• Ty for the invisible heroes complement. The theme of the map is "tenebrous: dark; obscure; gloomy" invisible heroes seem to fit that well, + I can introduce an item called 'cloak' which literally cloaks your hero.

Updates:
Moved some spells around, did some terrain, added a spell. New Spell set is as follows:
Updated the link on the front page as well, here it is again: http://cid-681c2250300dd052.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Tenebrous%20RPG.scx

Level 4:
Thorns -- Spawns lurkers
Magic bolt -- Spawns ghosts
Cocoon -- Encases the hero in a defensive cocoon, during which time he cannot be damaged and he heals ~200 health

level 8:
Teleport -- spawns a wraith which allows the hero to jump obstacles, escape encasement, ect. Drains mana

Level 12:
Entangling -- traps an enemy (or enemies) and deals damage over time
Mana Shield -- invincibility. Drains mana

level 16:
Firebolt -- spawns a wraith which flies out at a target and deals explosive damage. Also deals lesser damage along its path
Cripple -- traps an enemy (or enemies) and prevents him from firing
Decoy -- spawns a decoy unit which enemies are attracted to
Freeze -- encases an enemy (or enemies) in ice, leaving them vulnerable to damage

None.

Dec 11 2009, 1:34 am Positively Post #82

Woot! Keep pressing on Vrael :). I'm downloading the newest version as I post :00.
Pressing On - Relient K! :]. You're onto something good here. Yayaya!

None.

Dec 11 2009, 6:03 am Vrael Post #83

Quote from Positively
Woot! Keep pressing on Vrael :). I'm downloading the newest version as I post :00.
Pressing On - Relient K! :]. You're onto something good here. Yayaya!
Encouragement is great, and thanks, but if anyone cares to help, playing it and reporting bugs is the best thing you can do to help. If you run into what you think is a bug, the more information you can give me about it, the better, example: Player #, what you did before it happened, where you were, if you tried to use some item/spell, ect.

None.

Dec 13 2009, 10:40 pm LoveLess Post #84

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Cocoon! :D

None.

Dec 14 2009, 12:06 am ClansAreForGays Post #85

too hard

Dec 31 2009, 7:09 am CecilSunkure Post #86

GOOO VRAEL GOOO! I shall download map and play rite nao. Will be reporting bugs//stuff, unless I get tired and fall asleep.

Just played: Lings and Goblins are too easy now that you re-arranged the balancing of the units. Spells don't display mana required and caused confusion to other players during gameplay. After I went into Venicar's basement I fought the golem, died, and then re-entered the basement later. Nothing was working in the basement except for the golem's tracking of people. The golem then trapped the blue player in a corner. Also, while battling (I was player 1) my character and all near enemy zerglings randomly froze inside of an arbiter's stasis. I was fighting zerglings, was down right outside of Venicar's castle. There were four people in the map, and I was battling in a square arena near the top right of the map. I and all my zerglings were in the bottom left corner of the battle arena, and I had just previously turned off my wraith spell, while in battle (the flying spell).

Hope that helps.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2009, 8:04 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Dec 31 2009, 2:44 pm Ahli Post #87

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

played the version in your first post

bugs I've noticed:
-if multiple units are around ur hero on the map and you return there from a fight it can happen that a unit isn't invincible (1 attackable ling appeared)
(can happen anywhere... had attackable vulture, too)
-units inside your inventory aren't invincible
-after beeing killed by the guy at the scepter of light, another fight won't start vs him, if you come there again
-disable the spidermine ability (raynor can place mines)
-map intro is buggy in singleplayer (at least after the intro I don't have my hero)
-Zerg Queens Nest is called Zerg Queens Nest
-after losing some sort of siege, the Bunker stayed on the battlegrounds
-Protoss Nexus hasn't been renamed
-I can kill a castle in the north with my hydralisk
-are purple marines where the mountain trolls live wanted? (didn't try to fight vs them, but I saw 1 running around there)
-after losing that siege the blue marines were still there...

Great Map btw. But later enemies are to weak (Goons and Reaver). I've played singleplayer with Crossbow.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2009, 4:38 pm by Ahli.

Dec 31 2009, 6:46 pm LoveLess Post #88

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Just played: Lings and Goblins are too easy now that you re-arranged the balancing of the units. Spells don't display mana required and caused confusion to other players during gameplay. After I went into Venicar's basement I fought the golem, died, and then re-entered the basement later. Nothing was working in the basement except for the golem's tracking of people. The golem then trapped the blue player in a corner. Also, while battling (I was player 1) my character and all near enemy zerglings randomly froze inside of an arbiter's stasis. I was fighting zerglings, was down right outside of Venicar's castle. There were four people in the map, and I was battling in a square arena near the top right of the map. I and all my zerglings were in the bottom left corner of the battle arena, and I had just previously turned off my wraith spell, while in battle (the flying spell).

Hope that helps.
I reported the Venicar's basement bug a long time ago. Looks like it's still broken.

None.

Jan 1 2010, 2:51 pm Oh_Man Post #89

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

You reckon your gonna make the extended dead-line Vrael? I remember playing this with you and qpirateking and even though I had to go afk for like 20 minutes it was still a fun, solid RPG :P

Jan 13 2010, 5:54 am Vrael Post #90

Quote from CecilSunkure
Spells don't display mana required and caused confusion to other players during gameplay.
There is a "Spell Info" beacon.
Quote from CecilSunkure
After I went into Venicar's basement I fought the golem, died, and then re-entered the basement later. Nothing was working in the basement except for the golem's tracking of people.
Fixed, I think. (finally)
Quote from CecilSunkure
Also, while battling (I was player 1) my character and all near enemy zerglings randomly froze inside of an arbiter's stasis.
Yeah... lol. This is due to the fact I only have a 256x256 size map to work with. I tried to fix this bug already, not sure if it was before or after you reported it so it may be fixed (or not).

Quote from Ahli
bugs I've noticed:
-if multiple units are around ur hero on the map and you return there from a fight it can happen that a unit isn't invincible (1 attackable ling appeared)
(can happen anywhere... had attackable vulture, too)
Still not sure what causes this. Not really important to gameplay though, so I'll figure it out later.

Quote from Ahli
-units inside your inventory aren't invincible
-after beeing killed by the guy at the scepter of light, another fight won't start vs him, if you come there again
-disable the spidermine ability (raynor can place mines)

Quote from Ahli
-map intro is buggy in singleplayer (at least after the intro I don't have my hero)
Yeah, don't play single player.

Quote from Ahli
-Zerg Queens Nest is called Zerg Queens Nest
Quote from Ahli
-after losing some sort of siege, the Bunker stayed on the battlegrounds
Quote from Ahli
-Protoss Nexus hasn't been renamed
-I can kill a castle in the north with my hydralisk
-are purple marines where the mountain trolls live wanted? (didn't try to fight vs them, but I saw 1 running around there)

-after losing that siege the blue marines were still there...
Yes the purple marines are wanted. I purposely had them run around, there's a blue marine too. They meet up randomly and fight each other before proceeding to the opposing town. They're there to draw the players' interest to the side quest.

Map link updated.

None.

Jan 14 2010, 10:09 pm Neki Post #91

Are you submitting the demo to the contest Vrael?

None.

Jan 15 2010, 3:22 am ToA Post #92

Que Sera, Sera.

I loved the demo i played with you Vrael, i can't wait for a finished version.

Jan 18 2010, 12:49 am sigrun Post #93

I ran into a very strange glitch while playing with a friend. I was player 1, and I was using a Dark Templar when I ran into a Vulture enemy on a ramp. I died in like four seconds, and my dead body spawned on the ramp. I continued playing on normally until I noticed next to the body was a Dragoon with 8000 HP (the name of the Dragoon escapes me, it starts with a G?) o_O

Anyway, after I died a second time, I was unable to exit the Armory after choosing any of the heroes, and all I could do was move the Dragoon around as the enemies shot at it.

Awesome RPG though! :D

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:42 am Lorenzo. Post #94

Great map!!!!!!!!!!!! Run into a few bugs.... First Casting teleport if a enemy touches you while teleporting you tele to a random cave and then your cloak goes away enemies start attacking you no spells works and practically become useless because you cant even go to a battle.
Love the fact that you make you own decision. Great story line and spells. Me and zar were killing this game today...almost done ill keep you updated!

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:54 am Vrael Post #95

Okay well, I'm pretty sure I fixed those bugs already, just I hadn't uploaded a recent version in the download link. Just updated the link now, they should be fixed if you guys wanna try again.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:56 am CecilSunkure Post #96

I like how the entire production of this map is open-source.. I'm considering doing this with my map.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:00 am Vrael Post #97

I am going to protect the final version of the map, because I don't want pubbies making 100,000 different versions with OVER 9000 useless edits and changes to how they want it. But for people who want to learn from what I've done, I think having the map open is a good learning tool. Albeit, my triggers are so convoluted that anyone besides me trying to make sense of whats going on won't be very successful. Kaias is always yelling at me for not naming my locations and death counts and stuff, and most people don't have my notes.txt file that goes with the map, but hey I suppose if they wanted it they could ask me.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:04 am Falkoner Post #98

Yeah, I figure the same thing for any maps I release in the future, I'll use TinyMap2 to compress them, seeing as it not only gets the smallest maps, but the best protection available as well, and I'll add a section into the map telling people how they can contact me if they want to edit it, and I can send them the commented triggers, the map with location names and such untouched, and the MacroTrigger file if they're interested.

Also, I figure it's good to know how many people are getting a hold of my map. Anyways, if you make a map complex enough, anyone who opens it will be too weirded out by the complexity to do any editing, and perhaps you may want to add some protective triggers that check for silly fixes, like an "Always give over 9000 minerals" trigger.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:18 am Kaias Post #99

Quote from Vrael
Kaias is always yelling at me for not naming my locations and death counts and stuff, and most people don't have my notes.txt file that goes with the map, but hey I suppose if they wanted it they could ask me.
Only because it makes you more prone to make mistakes. I say that because I've witnessed so many of your bugs being 'Location X' and 'Location Y' accidentally switched. Besides, what I really get after you for is copying each trigger for each player individually rather than writing in a manner that allows essentially all triggers to be co-owned by each player.

Either way, I suggest using a more uniform coloring theme, rather than using many all over the place (as shown in your third screen-shot).

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:23 am Falkoner Post #100

Aw, I like the colorful scheme, other than the change in color in the middle of Level Up, that seems like it should be uniform.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >
  Back to forum