Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Problems with Current Modding Tools
Problems with Current Modding Tools
Mar 4 2015, 3:49 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 1423 >

Jul 15 2017, 5:28 pm Pr0nogo Post #221

Attempting to open a file before the update notifier pops up causes the program to 'stop working' and close (with no internal error code or anything).

Jul 15 2017, 6:43 pm Voyager7456 Post #222

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Quote from Voyager7456
Code
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Python27\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1410, in __call__
   return self.func(*args)
 File "F:\Modding Tools\PyMS-master\PyMPQ.pyw", line 919, in new
   h = MpqOpenArchiveForUpdateEx(file, MOAU_CREATE_ALWAYS, PYMPQ_SETTINGS.settings.defaults.maxfiles, PYMPQ_SETTINGS.settings.defaults.blocksize)
 File "F:\Modding Tools\PyMS-master\Libs\SFmpq.py", line 433, in MpqOpenArchiveForUpdateEx
   return _SFmpq.MpqOpenArchiveForUpdateEx(mpq, flags, maxfiles, blocksize)
ArgumentError: argument 3: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: wrong type

Got this from PyMPQ when trying to create a new MPQ.
Looks like I didn't setup default values for the maxfiles and blocksize settings, and you found the one case (didn't go to settings or open an MPQ before creating a new mpq) where it would be an issue :P Should be fixed now, thanks!

Thanks, I can confirm it's fixed for me.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Jul 15 2017, 7:32 pm poiuy_qwert Post #223

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Pr0nogo
Attempting to open a file before the update notifier pops up causes the program to 'stop working' and close (with no internal error code or anything).
That's annoying. Looks like I can't detect open/save dialogs as normal dialogs, so I have to keep track of them being open myself... It should be fixed now, it will delay special windows (update checker, error dialogs) until the open/save dialog is closed.

Quote from Voyager7456
Thanks, I can confirm it's fixed for me.
Great, thanks for the feedback!

Jul 15 2017, 8:07 pm Pr0nogo Post #224

Upon further glance it was only in PyDAT that I encountered it, so maybe it was a fringe case. Thanks for looking into it though!

Jul 15 2017, 10:11 pm poiuy_qwert Post #225

Quote from Pr0nogo
Upon further glance it was only in PyDAT that I encountered it, so maybe it was a fringe case. Thanks for looking into it though!
It would happen in any program, it was a race condition depending on how long it takes to fetch and do the version check. If it took long enough for you to be able to interact with the program to try and save/open something, it could happen, in any program.

Jul 15 2017, 11:10 pm Pr0nogo Post #226

Right. Thank you for fixing that.

For PyDAT, making the program start out maximized would be great. (or remember if you had it last maximized/standard window before closing)

Any chance we can get a settings file or something that will remember things like last folder(s) accessed, previous window states (see above) and other user preferences? That way we can keep the file when we download updated versions of the suite.

Jul 15 2017, 11:29 pm Voyager7456 Post #227

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

I've updated to the latest version of PyMS and I don't seem to be able to add files in PyMPQ. :(

I click "Add," select a file, I get the "folder name" dialog, but after I click "OK," the file is not added.

but i'm crazy for you

My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Jul 15 2017, 11:38 pm poiuy_qwert Post #228

Quote from Pr0nogo
For PyDAT, making the program start out maximized would be great. (or remember if you had it last maximized/standard window before closing)
It should remember position, size, and fullscreen state for main windows, and most sub-windows (I plan to do more if not all the windows as I update the settings handling in the programs). Is that not working at all, or just the fullscreen is not working?

Quote from Pr0nogo
Any chance we can get a settings file or something that will remember things like last folder(s) accessed, previous window states (see above) and other user preferences? That way we can keep the file when we download updated versions of the suite
Every program has a setting file saved to the Settings folder, which should have all that stuff. It should be safe to transfer them between PyMS versions, any settings file that can't be read or is not the correct settings version will just be deleted and started fresh (which will happen as I update programs to use the new settings handling, or if I change the settings in a non-backwards compatible way).

Jul 15 2017, 11:55 pm Pr0nogo Post #229

Looks like just fullscreen state isn't working.

Good to know about the settings folder. I'll be sure to keep that folder intact when updating. Thanks!

Jul 16 2017, 1:07 am poiuy_qwert Post #230

Quote from Pr0nogo
Looks like just fullscreen state isn't working.
I think I have fixed it.

Jul 16 2017, 8:39 pm poiuy_qwert Post #231

Quote from Voyager7456
I've updated to the latest version of PyMS and I don't seem to be able to add files in PyMPQ. :(

I click "Add," select a file, I get the "folder name" dialog, but after I click "OK," the file is not added.
Sorry, missed your post. Seems to be working fine for me. If you edit PyMPQ.pyw and go to around line 985 (should be a MpqAddFileToArchiveEx line), then above that line add a print line so it looks like this:
Code
                    print h, file, p, fc
                    MpqAddFileToArchiveEx(h, file, p, *fc)

Then run PyMS again and try to add files. Once you close PyMPQ, check inside Libs\Logs\PyMPQ.txt and copy+paste what was printed there for me to take a look at, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Jul 16 2017, 8:45 pm Voyager7456 Post #232

Code
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'F', u'rez\\F', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u':', u'rez\\:', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'/', u'rez\\', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'M', u'rez\\M', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'y', u'rez\\y', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'i', u'rez\\i', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'r', u'rez\\r', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u's', u'rez\\s', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u't', u'rez\\t', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'o', u'rez\\o', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'd', u'rez\\d', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'e', u'rez\\e', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'z', u'rez\\z', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'a', u'rez\\a', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'_', u'rez\\_', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'x', u'rez\\x', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'.', u'rez\\.', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'b', u'rez\\b', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'l', u'rez\\l', (1, 0, 0))

but i'm crazy for you

Jul 16 2017, 8:53 pm poiuy_qwert Post #233

Quote from Voyager7456
Code
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u':', u'rez\\:', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'y', u'rez\\y', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'i', u'rez\\i', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'o', u'rez\\o', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'd', u'rez\\d', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'e', u'rez\\e', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'z', u'rez\\z', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'a', u'rez\\a', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'_', u'rez\\_', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'x', u'rez\\x', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'.', u'rez\\.', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'b', u'rez\\b', (1, 0, 0))
(<MPQHANDLE object at 0x026ADF80>, u'l', u'rez\\l', (1, 0, 0))
Alright... Well it looks like on windows if you select just one file in multi-select mode it returns just a string instead of a list of strings... It should be fixed now, thanks!

Jul 16 2017, 11:46 pm Pr0nogo Post #234

Since the latest update, saving a file in PyDAT and then closing the program prompts for confirmation as if the file hadn't been saved - the same issue seen in PyAI last version.

edit: this does not seem consistent, as the program behaved normally while editing weapons.dat but didn't when editing units.dat. Not sure what's going on there.

Jul 17 2017, 12:37 am Pr0nogo Post #235

Crashdump from PyAI after attempting to save.

Internal error when attempting to read the file I had open and was editing.

edit: Error when attempting to add frames to a blank GRP. Compiles fine with SFGrpConv, works fine in-game.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 17 2017, 1:15 am by Pr0nogo.

Jul 17 2017, 3:34 am poiuy_qwert Post #236

Quote from Pr0nogo
Since the latest update, saving a file in PyDAT and then closing the program prompts for confirmation as if the file hadn't been saved - the same issue seen in PyAI last version.

edit: this does not seem consistent, as the program behaved normally while editing weapons.dat but didn't when editing units.dat. Not sure what's going on there.
All tabs seem to be working fine for me, except for Portrait which wasn't saving its edit state since I combined Idle and Talking portraits. I fixed the Portraits tab, and made some other tweaks as well. If you run into issues again, if you can try and remember as much detail about what you were doing, I can look into it again.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Crashdump from PyAI after attempting to save.
Hmm, this looks like its going to be a complex one. I may need your aiscript.bin+bwscript.bin and the script you were trying to compile into it to really figure it out.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Internal error when attempting to read the file I had open and was editing.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Did you mean this is the error you got when you tried to open the file from the save issue above? It looks like the file you tried to open is empty, and I think I know what the issue is. I use Atomic file access (write to a temporary file, and if that is fine, replace the existing file with the new temp one) to prevent save crashes from corrupting files, but it looks like in some cases my AtomicWriter is still "completing" with an empty file :( I'll do a sweep and fix them all soon.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Error when attempting to add frames to a blank GRP. Compiles fine with SFGrpConv, works fine in-game.
It looks like your frames are different sizes, seems like overlord0000.BMP is 210x210 and overlord0001.BMP is 105x105. PyGRP doesn't support importing frames with different sizes. I could update it to support that, but it seems odd to have frames with different sizes. You would also have alignment issues if you were importing frames with odd and even sizes together, how do you "center" them? Is there a reason your frames are different sizes? Is this a common case for you?

Jul 17 2017, 4:05 am Pr0nogo Post #237

Quote from poiuy_qwert
All tabs seem to be working fine for me, except for Portrait which wasn't saving its edit state since I combined Idle and Talking portraits. I fixed the Portraits tab, and made some other tweaks as well. If you run into issues again, if you can try and remember as much detail about what you were doing, I can look into it again.
Literally making any change to units.dat, saving, and attempting to close the program reproduces it, but it doesn't do that on weapons, images, sprites, or flingy. If it does it on others I'll let you know.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Hmm, this looks like its going to be a complex one. I may need your aiscript.bin+bwscript.bin and the script you were trying to compile into it to really figure it out.
I saved over the bwscript with the old one that I then edited.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Did you mean this is the error you got when you tried to open the file from the save issue above? It looks like the file you tried to open is empty, and I think I know what the issue is. I use Atomic file access (write to a temporary file, and if that is fine, replace the existing file with the new temp one) to prevent save crashes from corrupting files, but it looks like in some cases my AtomicWriter is still "completing" with an empty file :( I'll do a sweep and fix them all soon.
Yeah, the file was gone. I had to use an older version.

Quote from poiuy_qwert
It looks like your frames are different sizes, seems like overlord0000.BMP is 210x210 and overlord0001.BMP is 105x105. PyGRP doesn't support importing frames with different sizes. I could update it to support that, but it seems odd to have frames with different sizes. You would also have alignment issues if you were importing frames with odd and even sizes together, how do you "center" them? Is there a reason your frames are different sizes? Is this a common case for you?
It's not common, and was actually an error on my end, so disregard that.

Jul 17 2017, 3:23 pm poiuy_qwert Post #238

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Literally making any change to units.dat, saving, and attempting to close the program reproduces it, but it doesn't do that on weapons, images, sprites, or flingy. If it does it on others I'll let you know.
Ah I misunderstood the issue, I'll look into it.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
I saved over the bwscript with the old one that I then edited.
I don't need the broken file, I need the files as they are right before you encounter the issue, so that I can do exactly what you do over and over while I debug the issue. If I can't reproduce the issue I might not be able to fix it.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
It's not common, and was actually an error on my end, so disregard that.
K

Jul 17 2017, 6:13 pm Pr0nogo Post #239

Are there installation instructions somewhere? A friend is trying to install it and we can't seem to get it to work.

Jul 17 2017, 6:21 pm poiuy_qwert Post #240

Quote from Pr0nogo
Are there installation instructions somewhere? A friend is trying to install it and we can't seem to get it to work.
I started working on an update to the README (shows as "front page" on github) in a branch: https://github.com/poiuyqwert/PyMS/tree/readme#installation
I have not been able to test these instructions yet, but if you guys want to give it a try, I can help work through any issues and improve the instructions if anything comes up.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 1423 >
  Back to forum