Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Offical 5.1 helping thread
Offical 5.1 helping thread
Jul 21 2010, 11:15 am
By: Devourer
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17 18 19 >

Jul 26 2010, 8:41 pm Adeon Post #321

I hand-made this preview, it won't be exactly as it is.

Actually, it was DTBK's idea of making icons twice the size of the online/offline button to put on the place of the "Rank: Veteran", so it's better he talk about this =o

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 26 2010, 8:47 pm by Adeon.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 8:50 pm Centreri Post #322

Relatively ancient and inactive

Remove that rank indicator at the bottom altogether. It's irrelevant. Even assuming that the icons-next-to-names aren't well known, we don't need people to know the rank of every poster. Or at least give me the option to turn that off.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 8:51 pm LoTu)S Post #323

I'm down for something below the offline//contact if it's relevant, like favorite race, # of post or something...

None.

Jul 26 2010, 9:00 pm Adeon Post #324

Quote from Centreri
Or at least give me the option to turn that off.
That's the plan AFAIK =o
And instead of showing the smaller one on the postings, the bigger would be shown, this makes easier to learn what each icon means for newbies.

But well, these are only ideas, nothing has been done yet actually.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 9:24 pm rockz Post #325

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

well fuck it's still ugly.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 26 2010, 10:14 pm MadZombie Post #326

I can't see it looking decent in that style without having to make your own online/offline bars. The ones I made just don't have.... uh... flexibility.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 10:18 pm DevliN Post #327

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Will it be too cluttered with the rank there if we put "Reputation," "Minerals," or some other thing? There's no definite for this, I'm just throwing it out there.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 26 2010, 10:21 pm Adeon Post #328

Yeah devlin, nothing is definite here yet, which kinda pisses me off when someone comes just to say that it's crap.
I think it's a good idea to put more info under our avatars too...

Nice try rockz. Hopefully we'll find a design that looks good :)

None.

Jul 26 2010, 10:55 pm Centreri Post #329

I like the Elite next to my name, but I still think putting a rank there at all is unnecessary and ugly. I probably wouldn't even put minerals or reputation under that, because I like clean designs (Maybe remove titles altogether? Throwing it out there)

Idea: When you mouse over the name of the poster, a box appears with quick info about him, including rank, minerals, reputation, 'PM this Member', etc. Good? :D

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:11 pm DevliN Post #330

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

So essentially what the Contact thing does, but with more info? We could just change "Contact" in that case.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 26 2010, 11:13 pm LoTu)S Post #331

Quote from Centreri
Idea: When you mouse over the name of the poster, a box appears with quick info about him, including rank, minerals, reputation, 'PM this Member', etc. Good? :D

I like this idea. Saves the effort of profile stalking.

We could also add some customization to profiles, like a memo of some sort. No background customization plz -_-.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 26 2010, 11:20 pm by LoTu)S.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:15 pm rockz Post #332

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

then it's a mini profile. No thanks.

Edit for cent:
I see no reason to have a second profile. you still have to click/hover to see it, so it's no different than clicking on the person's name. That is my opinion on the matter. I agree that there is too much crap there. I would rather have:
Name
Staff Status ("Administrator", "Moderator", "Global Moderator")
Title
Rank (only say "Member", "Veteran" or "Elite", no fancy images)
Status + contact (online, offline image and contact, with non-picture text)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 26 2010, 11:44 pm by rockz.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 26 2010, 11:19 pm Adeon Post #333

Well, then there would be no point on having the "last 5 visitors" on the profile. OR you could make the option of the user to check what he wants to be available through this mouse-over box.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:19 pm Centreri Post #334

Oh, I didn't know Contact did that. Well, yes, basically. I'd just like to keep posts as clean and ugly-free as possible, and sticking all that extra info you want in a separate box does that well.

If you want to go further, an even more minimalistic idea: Remove all name colors (maybe keep mine, eh?), Titles, the Rank display, Online/Contact. Name would be colored green-white if person is online and red-white if he's offline, and mousing over name would display the box with contact info and other information. Increase maximum avatar dimensions and decrease maximum signature height. You get bigger avatars, and because people generally recognize each other on forums based on avatars, that's good. You also get less clutter and less wasted vertical space on posts, allowing you to get the same content for less scrolling.

By the way, why is there a ten pixel gap between posts?

Also, Rockz... saying "no thanks" without giving a reason is like spamming. Please tell me what's wrong with my ideas so I can refine them.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:27 pm Adeon Post #335

By the way, the report/quote buttons also waste some vertical space. Since the signature bounds are quite restricted, we have a major blank space to the sides. Why not using it to place these buttons to save some space? Also, the gaps between posts are really a bad idea.

Other issues:
The BG color of threads are gray if you are logged off.
The online/contact buttons aren't aligned corretly, even though they appear right if you visit the page logged off.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:29 pm Centreri Post #336

I don't believe they waste space. Check my siggy. The "back to top" button does, though.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:32 pm Adeon Post #337

Quote from Centreri
I don't believe they waste space. Check my siggy. The "back to top" button does, though.
No, Cent, I'm talking about this:

And the yellow box shows an ever-unused space.

Also, I think it looks better without this little bar here:

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:35 pm LoTu)S Post #338

Quote from Centreri
If you want to go further, an even more minimalistic idea: Remove all name colors (maybe keep mine, eh?), Titles, the Rank display, Online/Contact. Name would be colored green-white if person is online and red-white if he's offline, and mousing over name would display the box with contact info and other information.

Sounds like Christmas :lol: . Even so, if you see someone is online, not much you can do to directly contact them except for PM's, forums and shoutbox (Private channels too but that was removed :( ). It would also make SEN a bit too gimmicky . This is just my opinion, since ppl on SEN don't contact me anyways ;) I still like the additional info when mouse hovering though.

Btw, since we got new "online" and "contact" sign, are we gonna have a new "banned" sign as well?

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:39 pm Adeon Post #339

A red button replacing the Online button saying Banned? :)

As long as the reason of the ban is exposed somewhere (otherwise it'd be useless), that could work.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 11:43 pm LoTu)S Post #340

Since most people on SEN play nice now and banned people post's are in old topics, i suppose there wouldn't be much use for the sign.

However it wouldn't take long to make a banned sign to match with the existing ones anyways. ( A suspended sign could work also?)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17 18 19 >
  Back to forum