Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Offical 5.1 helping thread
Offical 5.1 helping thread
Jul 21 2010, 11:15 am
By: Devourer
Pages: 1 2 319 >

Jul 21 2010, 11:15 am Devourer Post #1

Hello

So, volks, you now got the chance to help improve SEN's new layout by giving me images which I should replace with others, for example the "online/offline" images are still the old ones and therefore could need an upgrade.
Post image and a description of which it should replace.

Thanks in advance, your amateur coder.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 22 2010, 2:46 pm by Devourer.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jul 21 2010, 4:43 pm rockz Post #2

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

In general, the banner looks thrown together and not good. You can especially tell by the terrible alpha channel job and copy/paste on some of the images. I see no reason to stray from the epic direction with a top left, top right, center image, and a tiled background image. Having these 4 images makes it easy to create a new banner for new skins.

I would rather make a new banner than fix this one to fit that standard, so here is the entire banner compressed 50%. I can fix it if I get the original images, however.

the contact/online/offline images should be a 14x14 (or 20x20, I suppose) image with text beside of them, so the color of the text can be changed easily to fit the skin. Again, I can make apngs of every map revealer color. Likewise, I can make apngs of any building in SC of every color for the online/offline, if we want to make online/offline/contact similar throughout the skins.
Options for online/offline:
supply depot, cybernetics core, stargate, forge, armory, any zerg building, zerg egg, power generator (would be universal color), any vespene geyser (there's like 6 versions).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 21 2010, 5:58 pm DevliN Post #3

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Like I said in the Staff Forum, I suggest we do something related more to SC2 for the online/offline and contact since that's the direction we're going in.

Rockz, the PSD for that is in Corbo's thread about it. You can probably just use that for the logo images. I am working on redoing the logo as well, but in terms of making it 3 images (left, middle, and right) so that it looks more spaced out.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 21 2010, 6:19 pm rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

at 20 pixels it's hard to tell.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 21 2010, 6:20 pm Devourer Post #5

Hello

By all respect, rockz, but a cybernetic core does not fit this theme at all... or do you think differently? If ppl want to I would still use it, though.

Jul 21 2010, 6:24 pm Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You could use like a lit up gateway for online and an unlit gateway for offline (powered/unpowered), but people may not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Jul 21 2010, 6:25 pm Devourer Post #7

Hello

Why not Warpgate and Gateway? :)

Jul 21 2010, 7:14 pm rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

offline is the same image but grayed out. That's a given.

I used cybernetics as an example. Turtle doesn't use any particular theme except green, since you have all 3 races. A green sc2 supply depot raised and lowered could work, but I can't do anything sc2 related, since THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET.

Jul 21 2010, 7:45 pm DevliN Post #9

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Then I can take screenshots of a supply depot raised and lowered and post them.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 21 2010, 7:46 pm rockz Post #10

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

renders please. Can you go more from the side rather than the top too?

Jul 21 2010, 7:49 pm payne Post #11

:payne:

Quote from rockz
A green sc2 supply depot raised and lowered.
Me want! :>

None.

Jul 21 2010, 8:11 pm MadZombie Post #12

What about a pylon? Pylons are so bright it's like they are lit on the inside, right? Bright pylon and 'off' pylon. Just throwing it out there.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 8:33 pm rockz Post #13

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

for the online/offline thing, it's got to be a fairly visible change even at 14 or 20 pixels.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2010, 8:49 pm by rockz.

Jul 21 2010, 8:45 pm MadZombie Post #14

Yes no? Scrap it? minor change? Sup?

None.

Jul 21 2010, 8:46 pm Devourer Post #15

Hello

Wow, I love them!, will use them for now if nobody else comes up with something else which is better ;)
EDIT: Actually, I think it could be a bit darker and more green, no?

Jul 21 2010, 8:49 pm rockz Post #16

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

can you use a different font which doesn't make a lowercase e look like a theta?

forum_middle.png

forum_middle_read.png
is this doable, or will it look horrible to have the read forums have a grayed out gradient? Also, the forum_middle.png is now roughly 1/10th the size. My apologies for tinypic renaming the files.

Jul 21 2010, 8:51 pm Devourer Post #17

Hello

I would have to add more JS and CSS... but this should be doable. I guess I will get to it tomorrow or the day after.
Rockz, like this?: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5909/likethisq.png

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2010, 9:02 pm by Devourer.

Jul 21 2010, 9:04 pm MadZombie Post #18

Less theta a and brightness but it looks kinda saturated. I'll make a new set later on just to have more options. Gotta have options.

edit: forum looks better with the grey and imo you should get rid of the back ground images. It's kinda like they were thrown there for no real reason and don't follow with the forums purpose at all.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 9:26 pm Centreri Post #19

Relatively ancient and inactive

Please, please drop the glossy effect.

None.

Jul 21 2010, 9:35 pm rockz Post #20

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I think that looks good. Those background images are okay. Again I can crush them to 50%, and they really don't mean anything, since they're backgrounds and very busy, and not icons.

Decent enough online/offline/contact, but the e looks different due to the location of pixels. If you just messed with the pixels, then that's not the way to do it.

Options
Pages: 1 2 319 >
  Back to forum