Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Your ideal woman...
Your ideal woman...
Apr 30 2010, 12:49 am
By: CaptainWill
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >

May 16 2010, 3:44 am Centreri Post #101

Relatively ancient and inactive

I do not approve of Sophie Ellis-Bextor. :massimo:

None.

May 16 2010, 6:44 pm samsizzle Post #102

Quote from CaptainWill
You're not English though are you?
I'm afraid not.

None.

May 16 2010, 6:51 pm CaptainWill Post #103

Quote from samsizzle
Quote from CaptainWill
You're not English though are you?
I'm afraid not.

That explains why you like Lily Allen's voice. :P

None.

May 16 2010, 6:55 pm samsizzle Post #104

Is it a fake accent or something?

None.

May 16 2010, 7:25 pm CaptainWill Post #105

Quote from samsizzle

Yes and no. Her accent is typical of a particular group of "working class" people in London and its surrounding area (especially Essex, which is a strange place made infamous by its very high proportion of blonde women). That accent is associated with lack of culture, bad parenting, teenage gangs etc. However, Lily Allen is from a wealthy family and I get the impression that she puts the accent on (God knows why, although if Americans find it attractive then maybe she has a reason :P ).

Accents have always been important in this country, and you do get judged on the basis of how you speak (though not to the ridiculous extent seen in Britain's past). A person from Birmingham with a strong local accent visiting London, for example, might be discriminated against in an application for a good job because the Birmingham accent is rather distinctive and can make the speaker sound stupid and slow. There's a great deal of regional variety in accent and dialect in Britain despite its tiny size compared with the US.

The only "standard" accent in the UK is known as Received Pronunciation (RP). In its purest form, it's basically the way the Queen speaks, but there are different degrees of RP which share one common feature - they all lack regional character. I speak RP, as does Sophie Ellis-Bextor. It's considered a more employable accent but it can elicit negative reactions from certain people who associate it with the rich or elitism. I certainly prefer RP in women to regional accents.

It usually amuses me that Americans have trouble telling accents apart but it's probably because they're not so attuned to listening for differences in how people sound. It's a little bit annoying that nearly all Americans I've spoken to confuse English accents with Australian or South African accents - they really couldn't sound more different.

None.

May 16 2010, 7:33 pm poison_us Post #106

Back* from the grave

Record your voice.

May 16 2010, 7:41 pm Fire_Kame Post #107

wth is starcraft

Quote from poison_us
Record your voice.
THIS. =) please?

On that note, I found a recording of Yoshi's voice on my harddrive. lol

May 16 2010, 7:44 pm Centreri Post #108

Relatively ancient and inactive

You can hear Yoshi's voice in the youtube video for his "Dodge the Nukes" map, Kame. :P

None.

May 16 2010, 7:45 pm Fire_Kame Post #109

wth is starcraft

Quote from Centreri
You can hear Yoshi's voice in the youtube video for his "Dodge the Nukes" map, Kame. :P

My recording predates that...it cracked me up when I found it.

<offtopic>
...OMG ITS YOU, ISN'T IT.
</offtopic>

May 16 2010, 7:47 pm CaptainWill Post #110

I think the only person here who has heard my voice is TZ, because I did some voice work for one of his mods during a rather slow week last summer.

I may record something, but that's not the purpose of this thread. :<_<:

None.

May 16 2010, 7:49 pm Ultraviolet Post #111

Quote from CaptainWill
Quote from samsizzle

Yes and no. Her accent is typical of a particular group of "working class" people in London and its surrounding area (especially Essex, which is a strange place made infamous by its very high proportion of blonde women). That accent is associated with lack of culture, bad parenting, teenage gangs etc. However, Lily Allen is from a wealthy family and I get the impression that she puts the accent on (God knows why, although if Americans find it attractive then maybe she has a reason :P ).

Accents have always been important in this country, and you do get judged on the basis of how you speak (though not to the ridiculous extent seen in Britain's past). A person from Birmingham with a strong local accent visiting London, for example, might be discriminated against in an application for a good job because the Birmingham accent is rather distinctive and can make the speaker sound stupid and slow. There's a great deal of regional variety in accent and dialect in Britain despite its tiny size compared with the US.

The only "standard" accent in the UK is known as Received Pronunciation (RP). In its purest form, it's basically the way the Queen speaks, but there are different degrees of RP which share one common feature - they all lack regional character. I speak RP, as does Sophie Ellis-Bextor. It's considered a more employable accent but it can elicit negative reactions from certain people who associate it with the rich or elitism. I certainly prefer RP in women to regional accents.

It usually amuses me that Americans have trouble telling accents apart but it's probably because they're not so attuned to listening for differences in how people sound. It's a little bit annoying that nearly all Americans I've spoken to confuse English accents with Australian or South African accents - they really couldn't sound more different.

I learned a little bit about regional variations in voices when reading about Doctor Who, but I didn't have any idea you guys ALL pay attention to that sort of thing. I thought it was just something defined for actors when playing different roles :P It's interesting to think about, because off the top of my head, I can only think of three (mainly two, really) accents within the US. Northern, Southern, and Western (this one less so), or some combination. I, for instance, have a mild southern accent (which bothers me to no end, actually).

Quote from Centreri

He also made a video tutorial a long time ago.

Edit:

I also liked the fact that she sings with a fairly posh English accent rather than American one (or a godawful estuary accent like Lily Allen). It's a novel experience. Doesn't stop her songs from being bad though - they are very late 90s-early 2000s.

I listened to the song you were talking about, with the 'fairly posh English accent' :P I actually heard what you were talking about in terms of the difference in accents, though I'm sure I'm still missing a lot. You made a comment about speaking RP earlier which made me wonder, from the way you worded it, do you choose your accent?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 16 2010, 8:03 pm by NerdyTerdy.

May 16 2010, 8:25 pm samsizzle Post #112

I seriously had no idea there was this much depth to accents.

None.

May 16 2010, 9:09 pm CaptainWill Post #113

Oh there's a lot of depth to accents in England especially. Perhaps Americans in general don't travel far enough from "home" to experience a lot of different accents - the distances between different accents in the US are very large compared with the UK, where you only have to travel 30 miles or so to experience a noticeable difference. There's a big change in the same geographical area if you move from a town to the countryside as well.

@NerdyTerdy

That song was popular back in 2000 or whenever it was made. Sounds very odd now but at least it shows her accent quite well. And yes you are quite right that speaking RP is often a choice, or rather it tells you something different about a person other than where they grew up: it tells you how they grew up.

There's a very good explanation here. Even the bit at the end about younger speakers of RP selectively incorporating parts of regional accents into their voice in order to disguise their background is true of me. I work somewhere where a pure RP accent would be unwelcome.

Here is a very basic map of English accent and dialect groups (note that each county will have a slightly different accent, and sometimes regions within counties will also be different!). Cities with a very distinctive accent are marked.

None.

May 16 2010, 9:18 pm Ultraviolet Post #114

Interesting. So, what I'm seeing here (correct me if I'm wrong), is that the elite tend to speak RP, while the rest have regional accents.. but in the more recent generations, people may combine the two, to fit the company they are around.

Edit: I was thinking about it, and our level of formality, such as the language we use, our body language, or our clothing, changes based on what situation we're in, or who we're around, and just who we are in general. I think the changing accents might be just another aspect of how formal/informal of a person you are. For example, a doctor would be more likely to speak RP than a construction worker. Does that sound right?

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 16 2010, 9:28 pm by NerdyTerdy.

May 16 2010, 9:54 pm CaptainWill Post #115

Sounds about right.

RP is a sign of being respectable and "middle-class". Most people have some degree of regional accent though.

None.

May 16 2010, 9:57 pm Demented Shaman Post #116

Quote from Centreri
Not only that, but on his youtube channel where he puts up his LPs (Let's Play) videos he has 1105 uploads, where he talks in maybe all but a few.

None.

May 16 2010, 10:00 pm Fire_Kame Post #117

wth is starcraft

I don't know if I should say this. I know my culture has its own shortcomings. But damn...talk about elitist. :\

May 16 2010, 10:03 pm CaptainWill Post #118

Quote from Fire_Kame
I don't know if I should say this. I know my culture has its own shortcomings. But damn...talk about elitist. :\

You're correct. It's not as bad as it was say 60 years ago, when your accent defined you, but it's still important for a lot of people.

None.

May 16 2010, 10:12 pm Fire_Kame Post #119

wth is starcraft

Quote from CaptainWill
Quote from Fire_Kame

You're correct. It's not as bad as it was say 60 years ago, when your accent defined you, but it's still important for a lot of people.

In retrospect, I think accents have a larger social impact down south, in Alabama and such. I might just be lucky for being in Colorado. I guess Colorado accents don't have any flare one way or the other. At least that's what I've been told. ;p

May 16 2010, 10:17 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #120

Quote from Fire_Kame
I might just be lucky for being in Colorado. I guess Colorado accents don't have any flare one way or the other. At least that's what I've been told. ;p

I live in Colorado too. I've also heard that we don't really have any accents.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum