Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Mafia! v1 - Beta 008
Mafia! v1 - Beta 008
Dec 29 2009, 10:02 am
By: The Starport
Pages: 1 2 36 >

Dec 29 2009, 10:02 am The Starport Post #1

Mafia! v1

How to Play:
  • Mafia players must kill everyone else to win. Unless you're one of them, you won't know who they are.
  • The game runs in day/night cycles. You're safe during the day only. Daytime safety (law protection) can be removed by a vote held in the town center each day.
  • You'll eventually need sleep (watch your Gas). Sleep in your bed (inside your manor) for protection and comfort.
  • Your special abilities cost mana to use (Ore). This will charge automatically while unarmed.

Special Abilities:
  • Sleep - Lets you nap when needed.
  • Arm/Disarm - Lets you attack (drains mana).
  • Investigate - Gathers player information, disarms nearby traps, uncovers footprints.
  • Recruit - Converts a nearby NPC to your cause. More houses = more daytime voting power (3 per added vote).

- Get it while it's hot! -
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Feel free to report any bugs, comments, criticisms, or suggestions you have.

Changelog

v1 Development Epilogue

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 29 2009, 10:50 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Dec 29 2009, 10:09 am Neki Post #2

So I hope you're entering this into the RPG contest! :D It's not too bad, assuming everyone knows how to play the game, it's actually a pretty good play on mafia. Though I have never been mafia in the ten games I've played, I wanted to try snare so bad before it was removed. :(

None.

Dec 29 2009, 10:10 am The Starport Post #3

Quote from name:Ultimo
So I hope you're entering this into the RPG contest! :D It's not too bad, assuming everyone knows how to play the game, it's actually a pretty good play on mafia. Though I have never been mafia in the ten games I've played, I wanted to try snare so bad before it was removed. :(
This isn't an RPG. It will never be an RPG.

I'm not sure yet about whether I'll add Snare or Reveal back in, though. Any compelling reasons I should?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 29 2009, 10:55 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Dec 29 2009, 8:02 pm killer_sss Post #4

Technically it is a Role Playing Game. You either play the role of mafia or citzens. I was kinda confused as to what qualified for the rpg challenge as well because when I read it I thought it had to have a somewhat linear storyline yet it seems some maps like Hero Sanctuary have been entered into the challenge as well so Idk give it a shot maybe?

None.

Dec 29 2009, 9:44 pm The Starport Post #5

Is Strip Hermione also an RPG now? :P

None.

Dec 29 2009, 10:21 pm lil-Inferno Post #6

Just here for the pie

Blog #1: The reason you should incorporate Snare and Reveal back in is because, quite frankly, mana is nearly worthless right now. All it's really used for is to hold a weapon (which you shouldn't be doing for long periods of time anyway) and for arming your recruited houses. I'd personally like to see Snare back, although the one you had in earlier versions was overpowered. Perhaps limit each Mafia member to one snare and have a way for people to wiggle out of them, because when it gets down to one Mafia and one townie, the Mafia can easily get into a closed in area (such as manors) and plant snares at each door (in the interior, at least) and trap the townie forever because no one will be able to come to their rescue.

Dec 29 2009, 11:31 pm The Starport Post #7

Quote from lil-Inferno
Blog #1: The reason you should incorporate Snare and Reveal back in is because, quite frankly, mana is nearly worthless right now. All it's really used for is to hold a weapon (which you shouldn't be doing for long periods of time anyway) and for arming your recruited houses. I'd personally like to see Snare back, although the one you had in earlier versions was overpowered. Perhaps limit each Mafia member to one snare and have a way for people to wiggle out of them, because when it gets down to one Mafia and one townie, the Mafia can easily get into a closed in area (such as manors) and plant snares at each door (in the interior, at least) and trap the townie forever because no one will be able to come to their rescue.
I was considering what mana would go to in their absence, and when I realized that removing that unworkable virtual mana thing for ghost cloaking now requires them to wait for extended periods of time while armed before their ghost unit has enough unit mana to cloak, I thought it might still work out. I want to see a few more games with players planning out their use of cloak to strategically hunt each other down before I decide, but I think that's realistically something I'm not going to get to see. Players are notoriously bad with high level strategy stuff like that. The want their shit to be all up front.

I'll have to meditate on this a bit more.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 1:02 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #8

Just here for the activity... well not really

How did snares work? Were they forever, or what?

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Dec 30 2009, 11:30 am The Starport Post #9

Forget the idea. They were actually broken, anyway. I have a new set of abilities lined up now.

I'll relegate snares and shit like that to special roles in a later version.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 3:18 pm The Starport Post #10

Update: v1.1 will have two abilities: Hide and Reveal.

Hide: A mafia-only ability that gives their armed mode unit a full supply of mana, heals it, and sets it cloaked. It costs 3000 ore. Keep in mind that movement still drains your ore, and you can't stay armed with 0 ore, so think this through a bit before using it. Also you lose any unit mana you have if you revert to unarmed mode, obviously.

Reveal: Basically the same as it used to be: Casts vision at the player's location for several seconds (with detection) for everyone, sets the player temporarily invincible, and strips unit mana and ore (I really need to distinguish these two terms better in-game, don't I?) off any nearby armed mode units. Costs 3000 ore. Has a short warmup delay that leaves you vulnerable and prevents you from moving. Basically acts as a counter to Hide, and also a defensive mechanism against attackers. Everyone has this ability.

I thought it through, and this sounds like it ought to work. I'm still not sure about whether to allow arming while a Reveal is in progress, as that makes it into a sort of one-way attack ability, in a sense. I guess another player using Reveal could counter it, but that'd be weird...

Still meditating.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 30 2009, 3:40 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 4:03 pm MadZombie Post #11

What happened to lynching \:\|

None.

Dec 30 2009, 4:06 pm The Starport Post #12

What you don't like my DIY lynching? \:P

None.

Dec 30 2009, 4:08 pm MadZombie Post #13

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
What you don't like my DIY lynching? \:P
http://www.nibbits.com/sc/maps/view/131084/#comment_5658

I played some version inferno hosted though so i assume it was this one and not .00000000008

None.

Dec 30 2009, 4:37 pm The Starport Post #14

Quote from MadZombie
In my opinion it seems a little bit Overpowered for Mafia since even if you guess right on who is the mafia you still have to go around and chase said person.
Or wait until they have to sleep. But yeah I guess that's a bit less than straightforward, isn't it?

So with that in mind you can technically get caught and lose your law shield and hide in the woods or your mafia partners manor and pretty much survive through anything.

Although maybe that is only from lack of skill or strategy development? I guess if a player has a ton of houses everywhere it can help him attack and view the mafia but still… it's weird playing Mafia without a lynching ability.
I think I see things a bit better through your perspective, now. I just thought of a few ideas: You couldn't lynch someone IRL until you've apprehended them, right? I'd figured before that functionally it's no different to just outright hunt and kill someone normally if you're going to need to do some procedure to apprehend them first. But now I think maybe I really should add a sort of lynching "ceremony".

Here's what I'll do: While it's day and there exists voted players, it'll become a sort of game of tag. Each protected player can chase down unprotected ones to apprehend them. When this is done, a lynch mob forms in a part of the town area, and the person is publicly executed for the lulz. It's purely for show, of course, but I think there's some definite value in it even still, since this is supposedly a mafia game, right?

I could also make NPC units join in the chase with a little bit of work, too, just to make things a little extra challenging for voted players.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 4:47 pm MadZombie Post #15

Well I was just going to sugget making the town area smaller but then... it would be constricting. I think you can keep your DIY lynching but the answer to making it perfect lies in the terrain, in my opinion. Maybe have doodads to hide behind? Like that little house doodad you put next to one of the NPC buildings...

I mean PERSONALLY It would've been cool to have it play like Epic mafia where instead of having clues like real mafia, it works by deduction. This player couldn't be this player if this person died so this person is cleared but and then that leaves this player as a suspect. etc etc. I mean it kinda feels like its just a random lynch type of thing.

Okay so you can look at foot prints, but everyone leaves foot prints. Meaning that if you went to a body and searched it you would find your foot prints plus the other person. Now if it's night how are you going to prove to everyone that your foot prints are legit because you were just searching the body and no the murders foot prints. You could travel in pairs but if theirs 2 mafia then you both are made suspects. if you travel in 3 or more theirs going to be foot prints out of the ass and mafia would just be part of the "townie who are just searching the body" and fit in which is just another + for mafia.

It's missing something. I don't know what but it is. :<

None.

Dec 30 2009, 5:09 pm The Starport Post #16

That reminds me. I still haven't gotten to play Epic Mafia yet. \:P

Footprints are colored to the player who makes them, but yeah I think I goofed on that by letting them be killable units. But aside from that, within 2 nights you should be able to start drawing conclusions from footprint patterns around kill sites, which I'd hoped would work nearly as well as clues or whatever.

Hmmm. I'll have to meditate on this a bit more too, I suppose...

None.

Dec 30 2009, 5:46 pm MadZombie Post #17

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
That reminds me. I still haven't gotten to play Epic Mafia yet. :P

Footprints are colored to the player who makes them, but yeah I think I goofed on that by letting them be killable units. But aside from that, within 2 nights you should be able to start drawing conclusions from footprint patterns around kill sites, which I'd hoped would work nearly as well as clues or whatever.

Hmmm. I'll have to meditate on this a bit more too, I suppose...
I see, I found what this map was missing. GG.

Try it out, it's a good alternative to playing mafia without forum clues. Although it might be limited know with the amount of players starcraft allows. hmm

None.

Jan 1 2010, 3:48 pm The Starport Post #18

In about a week I should have 1.1 ready. Reveal, Hide, and a buttload of tweaks await!

None.

Jan 1 2010, 8:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #19

We need to set a date for us all to get together and play this.

Jan 2 2010, 7:37 pm The Starport Post #20

I'd like that, but I'll do absolutely nothing of the sort until I'm sure no more surprise buttsecks bugs n' shit decide to pop in to say hello. God knows how many times I've been down that road.

I'm going to experiment with a few more things with v1.1 to get some more data, too. I know there's still a lot of parts to this that aren't working out as I'd originally intended, and I think I'm finally getting some leads as to why, but I'll be needing more data to actually draw conclusions, first. Bear with me.

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 36 >
  Back to forum