Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: What's Your Limit?
What's Your Limit?
Oct 12 2009, 3:54 am
By: EzTerix  
Polls
What is the max file size for a game you'll be willing to host on Bnet?
What is the max file size for a game you'll be willing to host on Bnet?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
500kb 9

21%
None.
1mb 9

21%
None.
2mb 9

21%
None.
3mb 5

12%
None.
5mb 4

10%
None.
10mb 8

19%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 44 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Oct 14 2009, 7:25 pm rockz Post #21

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You're half correct. They should give up on crap like that because it's ridiculous, and you shouldn't try to make SC conform to your map ideas. However, that is the better way. EUD cursor detection? That's for the most part pointless. Better to use, say, a unit as a marker for a point.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 21 2009, 12:26 am Super Duper Post #22

3mb, mainly because it just takes a long time to dl.
The reason for my maps to have such a big memory is probably because of WAV files, but then again I always compress them and then the map goes back to 400 kb :D

None.

Oct 21 2009, 2:02 am Heinermann Post #23

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Create a 1GB map. Users that don't have 1GB RAM will crash when joining or creating the game. :)

Oct 21 2009, 2:19 am Riney Post #24

Thigh high affectionado

When the editor says "ITS TOO GOD DAMN BIG STOP TRYING TO SAVE ME".

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Oct 21 2009, 12:05 pm USS Cane Post #25

Anything that DL will take more then 1 minut.

None.

Oct 22 2009, 5:00 am MEMEME670 Post #26

This topic reminds me of the shadow operation and lord of the rings rpg.

Remember the good days when big maps were hosted sometimes and you felt really lucky to get in and be able to play?

And when LotR Rpg took skill to play and wasnt made by someone who obviously just read the starcraft mapping tutorial and tried to make a map?

Also, i think it overrides the old good file, but idk.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 1:00 am MePHiStO_IS_GoD Post #27

This is an easy question. My limit is however big labryinthos is (I think it's like 5mb) That's like the icing on the cake, How would you like to play a shitty ass boring map AND wait 3 hours for it to download.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 7:09 am Vrael Post #28

Quote from Heinermann
10,000 triggers takes up a lot of space, you know?
10000 triggers are not necessary. Find a way to cut it. Don't tell me "oh there isn't any other way" because there is.
First off, there isn't any other way. Secondly, tell that to people like Ahli or Kaias&Lethal who actually do need 10k triggers. My map only has 4k so far. Maybe if I was perfectly efficient it would only have 3900, or maybe even 2900, but some things there are just no other ways to do, due to lack of boolean operators in trigger conditions, or because they're necessary to do things stylistically.

Quote from Heinermann
and its about as compressed as it'll go
It can still be compressed.
K, now you're just being a -------*. Yes, it can be compressed further, but unfortunately for me it has to remain a .wav file and I've already put it into mono, lowered the bitrate and such.

*Damn my better judgement.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 9:15 am MasterJohnny Post #29

I voted 10mb but I think size doesnt matter. :P

I am a Mathematician

Oct 23 2009, 9:20 am Jack Post #30

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from MasterJohnny
I voted 10mb but I think size doesnt matter. :P
That's what SHE said, but she didn't truly mean it...xD j/k

I would dl a, say, 3-5mb file on bnet if I wanted it really badly and it wasn't avaliable on the web.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 24 2009, 12:51 am Riney Post #31

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Heinermann
10000 triggers are not necessary. Find a way to cut it. Don't tell me "oh there isn't any other way" because there is.
First off, there isn't any other way. Secondly, tell that to people like Ahli or Kaias&Lethal who actually do need 10k triggers. My map only has 4k so far. Maybe if I was perfectly efficient it would only have 3900, or maybe even 2900, but some things there are just no other ways to do, due to lack of boolean operators in trigger conditions, or because they're necessary to do things stylistically.

Quote from Heinermann
K, now you're just being a -------*. Yes, it can be compressed further, but unfortunately for me it has to remain a .wav file and I've already put it into mono, lowered the bitrate and such.

*Damn my better judgement.

Damn your better judgement, and the lack of boolean operators. Oh the trigger systems that could be made with 5 triggers instead of 500...

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Oct 24 2009, 1:17 am Morphling Post #32

For my concept map there is no way to reduce the trigger count or size, unless you can compress triggers. It is 2.53 mb. Probably 2.50 mb are triggers considering there are over 24,000 triggers per player and 49,240 triggers in the entire map.

Attachments:
Order Coordinates [0.01].scx
Hits: 5 Size: 2592.24kb

None.

Oct 26 2009, 12:51 pm Heinermann Post #33

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Heinermann
There is, and I do tell others the same thing.

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Heinermann
I'm talking about the map as a whole, not some WAV files.

I don't know why people are voting 10MB. If you're willing to wait 20 minutes for a public Battle.Net game, then sure go ahead.

@Morphling: You're using EUDs for something that has no practical use. That map can also save at least 200 KB.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 26 2009, 1:00 pm by Heinermann.

Oct 26 2009, 6:58 pm JaFF Post #34

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Heinermann
To expand on this, I'd like to say that I make trigger systems such that they work in the most intuitive way (for me). Even if that requires making 100 triggers instead of 10. The only situation when I'll reject the bigger solution is when it gets waaaaay too big. Also having more triggers sometimes results in using less DCs and such. If programming is an endless battle between CPU usage and memory usage, triggering is probably a battle between resource usage and trigger usage. Except those extremely rare cases such as Elementa, when you just can't. do. it. any. other. way.

None.

Options
  Back to forum