Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Autumn Mapping Contest Results
Autumn Mapping Contest Results
Oct 10 2009, 2:37 am
By: Echo  

Oct 10 2009, 2:37 am Echo Post #1

Autumn Map Making Contest Results

Theme:
The theme of this contest is about villains. Most maps follow the role of the players being the hero or protagonist, so let’s change that for this contest. The type of map is up to you, as long as it follows the role of villains. Maybe someone can make a reverse role based on an existing story, but that wouldn’t go well with originality.

Theme: 10 points
Like all the other contests, any map that does not follow the theme will be disqualified.

Professionalism: 10 points
Testing and fixing errors is important. If you don’t put any effort into your map, I won’t be putting any effort in grading it. Remember to double check your map for spelling, grammar, and other errors.

Originality: 10 points
Be innovative. Try to include new ideas/concepts, or even create a whole new genre of the map.

Fun: 20 points
For this contest, fun is what would matter the most. If it has no fun, why would anyone even bother to play the map again?

Total: 50 points

Demonic v1.01.scx by Devlin
Theme: 10/10 - You play as a demon that has to wipe out the humans in the map.
Professionalism: 8/10 - The map is well made, but it was a bit too easy. Some bosses got stuck and were easily defeated. There were minor bugs too. Other than that, it was put together nicely.
Originality: 10/10 - Nice cooldown system for the spells.
Fun: 15/20 - It was pretty fun but too easy. It was pretty repetitive until the last boss fight, which was quite interesting.
Total: 43/50 - 1st place

The Rogues.scx by private_parts
Theme: 5/10 - Rogues infiltrating a base? I wasn't really sure what their roles were. From the looks of it, they could've been good guys infiltrating an evil corporation.
Professionalism: 8/10 - There is a nice tutorial to walk you throughout the game, but there are some bugs that refrained me from using some of the features showed in the tutorial. The map was pretty short too.
Originality: 7/10 - Using a computer player for some of their skills was nice.
Fun: 10/20 - Again, the map was really short. I couldn't really tell how fun the map was based on only about 5 minutes of game play.
Total: 30/50 - 2nd place

.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'..scx by TF-
Theme: 10/10 - You play as a hunter that hunts people? I think I was actually the hunted, trying to survive against a bunch of marines.
Professionalism: 3/10 - No briefing, no missions, no tutorials. I was basically lost the whole time. I don't think I ever made it past 3 minutes. I morphed into a lurker, and I died right after too.
Originality: 0/10 - Nothing out of the ordinary.
Fun: 5/20 - I honestly had no idea what I was doing.
Total: 18/50 - 3rd place

Unfortunately, only three maps were submitted.

Prizes will be revealed as soon as Moose reveals it.
I didn't upload the maps to the DLDB, so the authors can feel free to upload it. Devlin already uploaded his so check out his thread.

None.

Oct 11 2009, 9:49 pm RIVE Post #2

Just Here For The Pie

Only three?- HA!

I mean, that is sad...

None.

Oct 12 2009, 1:56 am Oh_Man Post #3

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

I'll upload mine when I finish it lol. Thanks for the contest.

Oct 12 2009, 2:05 am BlueWolf Post #4

Shouldn't expect too much gameplay with a months worth of work. I'm going to dl and play Dev's map. Btw. will you host another one month long contest?

None.

Oct 12 2009, 5:41 am Echo Post #5

Maybe. That's if someone else doesn't do it. Probably not anytime soon. The results of this contest was really bad and midterms is coming for a lot of people. I think late December to January is a great month for another contest.

Anyways, it would've been nice if the maps were multiplayer :P

None.

Oct 12 2009, 7:29 am DevliN Post #6

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I toyed with the idea of making mine multiplayer, but didn't have enough time to do it. Maybe a future release will have multiple demons fighting to take over the world or something. We'll see.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 12 2009, 1:06 pm The Starport Post #7

Quote from Echo
Maybe. That's if someone else doesn't do it. Probably not anytime soon. The results of this contest was really bad and midterms is coming for a lot of people. I think late December to January is a great month for another contest.

Anyways, it would've been nice if the maps were multiplayer :P
Yeah definitely do another. Multiplayer or experimental maps are a bit more difficult to pull off effectively, so I'd suggest more time if you do a theme involving either. But otherwise there shouldn't be any reason to not be able to finish a decent map in a month's time, even still.

If I join the next one, I'll try not to make the mistake of splitting my goals this time. :P

None.

Oct 12 2009, 4:04 pm Devourer Post #8

Hello

Only 3? :S
I must admint that for purposes like this the mineral-system would be perfect: when people see that you can win something more are going to take part.
-or- IP/Moose might add new medals for competition. The winners of those will then carry a further medal in their profile-page :)

To Devlin:
Sounds really nice, I want to play it but I can't :(.
Also: congratulations.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Oct 13 2009, 5:33 am fritfrat Post #9

I don't think time constraints are the issue.. remember the first few contests held back in 06? It was like, 2 weeks, and there were plenty of quality entries.
It's more likely to do with the difference of how many people are playing, mapping, and coming to the site ;) Congrats to DevliN, and I do think that still holding this contests is a great idea.

None.

Oct 13 2009, 2:02 pm BlueWolf Post #10

But back in '06, people were mass creating bounds, defences, and CnM maps.

None.

Oct 13 2009, 3:22 pm Oh_Man Post #11

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Yeah well reason for me I didn't do multi-player was because I wouldn't be able to test it easily. But yeh next time more submissions come on people! About 30 or so participants and only 3 submissions :P

Oct 15 2009, 4:14 am m.0.n.3.y Post #12

Haha, only 3...pretty sad really.
I express my apologizes for entering the contest and not submitting a map, but I just didn't have the time between football, school and a social life, so sorry bouts that :(

But hey mine was going to be a multiplayer map lol, and I still have it planned out and plan on {eventually} making the map, only problem with mine was it probably wouldn't have fitted the theme to good, but it would have worked ;o

Anyways, congrats to the defaulted winners lol

None.

Options
  Back to forum