Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Aug 22 2009, 4:49 pm
By: LolCakeLazors
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >

Sep 28 2009, 5:49 am KooKsTeR Post #81

Welcome to the world of publishers. May they all burn in hell.
AMEN
I probably wont ever buy a map, don't care enough.

None.

Oct 21 2009, 4:09 pm USS Cane Post #82

Im surprised so many ppl in a map making comunity site are not pleased with the idea of getting money from doing what you love doing.

EDIT:
But im also surprised blizzard will be making money on our work, didnt think they will when i first heard it. And i thought WE will be the ones to decide if our map is premium and how much will the DL cost...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 21 2009, 4:14 pm by USS Cane.

None.

Oct 21 2009, 10:46 pm KrayZee Post #83

Because there's no way we would ever purchase maps with real money. And the idea of having a member have a job through mapmaking will allow her or him to create far more mediocre maps for desperate ways of earning money. In my opinion, Blizzard is trying to merge iPhone, Xbox Live, Messengers, Steam, and such and combine them all and call it Battle.net 2.0.
Microsoft is well known for charging $10 for three or so maps in Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 & especially World at War, $7 Left 4 Dead Crash Course, Gears of War 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto IV's $20 Microsoft Points worth of missions, and so on. And to improve sales, they added a few achievements that gives ridiculous amount of gamerscore (Seriously, 50 compared to the original 10 or 5?).
And then there's Apple, where there is an iPhone having Application Store.

None.

Oct 22 2009, 12:56 pm BeDazed Post #84

Well, the way Blizzard sees it, people buy things from the app store and microsoft's petty maps. Why not BLIZZARD?

None.

Oct 22 2009, 3:21 pm MEMEME670 Post #85

People will buy premium maps if they can see that they'll like it. Atleast in the beginning.

And unless premium maps are popular (like lets say blizzard jacks TS and makes it premium...or DotA) Then people may buy it, or they may drop it.

Blizzard could end up owning their fanbase if they arent careful (more then they already have!)

None.

Oct 22 2009, 3:43 pm USS Cane Post #86

But what if the maker really deserves to get something if he spents months of hard work so other may enjoy playins HIS game plus the game is really awesome? I think even tough im Polish and 4 of my currency = 1 dollar il still proly buy better Zombie maps that will be out there. And i expect to be payed aswell if/when il make something really good.

Im actualy happy about all this, its opens new windows for me.

None.

Oct 22 2009, 9:49 pm KrayZee Post #87

That would be quite unfair for mapmakers, and modmakers in other games such as Far Cry (1, console versions, & 2), Crysis, Unreal Tournament ('99, 2k4, & 3), Half Life (1 & 2), Team Fortress (1 & 2), Counterstrike, WarCraft III, StarCraft 1, and such. I remember someone developing a map based off a zombie movie "Dawn of the Dead" for a few years, and then Left 4 Dead came out to allow his map seem more badass. Then again, he's doing it for free like everyone else.

Also, if a map has a price tag, whether it be a dime (10 cents) or $10, then less people will buy it (The higher it is, the less people are going to buy it, unless somehow magical advertisements improves sales). If they are not pleased on the purchase, they will regret it and stop future purchases. And it sucks to have a popular map lose its popularity due to a simple price tag.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 1:36 am USS Cane Post #88

"That would be quite unfair for mapmakers, and modmakers in other games such as Far Cry (1, console versions, & 2), Crysis, Unreal Tournament ('99, 2k4, & 3), Half Life (1 & 2), Team Fortress (1 & 2), Counterstrike, WarCraft III, StarCraft 1, and such."

Better one game then none.
Its like 1 out of 10 people could become a milionare for free, but woudnt becouse of the jealusy of the other 9? Thats nonsense. <- a methaphor

None.

Oct 23 2009, 5:04 am ClansAreForGays Post #89

Im surprised so many ppl in a map making comunity site are not pleased with the idea of getting money from doing what you love doing.
Says a lot about our character. I'm impressed.

Oct 23 2009, 3:24 pm Ashamed Post #90

Hear me Raor!!

I don't think its anything to our characters lol... I more think its that we think it just wont work, I bet if it turns out to work and its a good system then we all will participate in it.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 8:27 pm DevliN Post #91

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I will probably buy a few, we'll see.

I think the major issue is that Blizzard is hoping all of us who had our parents buy the original for us in '98 will be willing to afford it ourselves and therefore be able to spend money on an in-game store. Unfortunately, my assumption is that most SC players don't have money to throw around or an income at all.

"Hey mom, can I spend a few buck on this map for StarCraft 2" probably wont work.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 23 2009, 8:30 pm MePHiStO_IS_GoD Post #92

I don't know exactly how I feel about this. I really don't like the idea of Blizzard picking out what they consider 'premium' maps.

What qualifies it to be 'premium'? The fact that it's popular or the fact its made well? Either way you lose. I mean how many shitty maps are popular and over-played to death. (Any map with the words 'DBZ 'Naruto' or 'Strip' in them.) And on the other hand. Just cause the map looks good and was well made, doesn't mean it's fun or that its a good map (case and point Labryinthos).

It just seems like a cluster-fuck waiting to happen.

The idea of making money off of Mapping seems nice. But I'm sure the percentage Blizzard gives you is a joke. Ya know, cause they don't have enough money from World of Warcraft or anything.
Who knows, It seems like Blizzard has gotten really greedy in recent years and I'm sure they'll no doubt rape SC2's multiplayer experience. (Seriously, no LAN? Fuck you Blizzard)

None.

Oct 23 2009, 9:17 pm DevliN Post #93

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from DevliN
we still don't know for sure who makes maps premium. It was my impression that the creator can charge for their map, not Blizzard.
Again, we don't know for sure who makes maps premium and sets the prices.

And as for LAN, I played SC2 over LAN at BlizzCon. LAN still exists, you just have to log into Battle.net to utilize it (like you do for almost everything in SC2). Keep in mind that Battle.net 2.0 is a completely different experience than the current one.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 23 2009, 9:58 pm Morphling Post #94

From the looks of the editor's power, some maps produced could be compared to games out on the shelves. I would only buy maps if they were less like map scenarios and more like games you buy in stores.

None.

Oct 23 2009, 10:31 pm USS Cane Post #95

il buy my own maps to make myself feel better

None.

Oct 24 2009, 11:18 am BeDazed Post #96

And as for LAN, I played SC2 over LAN at BlizzCon. LAN still exists, you just have to log into Battle.net to utilize it (like you do for almost everything in SC2). Keep in mind that Battle.net 2.0 is a completely different experience than the current one.
This just means you can't pirate and LAN :P

None.

Oct 25 2009, 1:48 am Centreri Post #97

Relatively ancient and inactive

I don't think I'll buy any, except if they're really popular. It can be hard to find a game for a certain map right now - and when only people who paid can play it? HELLO, PLEASE JOIN, IM BEGGING YOU ;(((((((.

None.

Oct 25 2009, 2:45 am ClansAreForGays Post #98

It would be a smart move for them to list them with in the lobby with the free-hosted games, except when you click on it your 'join' button turns into a 'more-info' button, which leads you to a screen with info on the map, and the map's price.

Oct 25 2009, 3:49 am Norm Post #99

What if they archived all the maps of the past that are classics in a little store so that people could buy maps that were popular long ago that are impossible to find by conventional means.

None.

Oct 25 2009, 4:16 am CecilSunkure Post #100

For all of you discussing this, you need to go through and read this article: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4124/the_man_behind_battlenet_greg_.php

Quote from Article
Going back to that mod marketplace, in our news piece on that, one of the first comments was something to the effect of, "Oh, so now I have to pay for all my mods?" Presumably, that is not the case.

GC: Absolutely not. What Rob and I were talking about yesterday was creating an environment. The whole Battle.net experience has been designed around facilitating the mod community.

[WarCraft III custom map Defense of the Ancients] was a really important event for us. We've kept it in mind with the construction of the new Battle.net from the ground up. We're doing all sorts of things with the matchmaking and with the ladders and leagues and stuff to accommodate things like DOTA.

We're investing a lot in the map editor, making sure that is a world-class set of authoring tools. Completely free. Everyone can create all kinds of free maps. They can publish them free of charge, with no fees in either direction.

What we're doing with the marketplace -- and that's again a post-ship future -- is to provide a common aggregation point like the iPhone's App Store or, to a lesser extent, Xbox Live Marketplace.

It's creating a mechanism for people to find that free content. If someone wants to charge for it, the map creators can actually make a little bit of money off of it. We're hoping that ecosystem will create better quality maps with higher production values that will benefit the whole community and extend the longevity of the StarCraft franchise, if you think about StarCraft II as a platform.

Some of you should probably stop attacking the straw man. You have the option as a map maker to put your map up for charge or not. Blizzard will not be taking custom made maps by fans and putting price tags on them. The idea is just to give a positive incentive for talented map makers (sort of like us) to put a lot of effort into fewer, but higher quality maps.

And FYI, a "mod" for SC2 is pretty much going to be the equivalent of a SC1 "UMS map", except SC2 mods will be created with the Blizzard created and supported map editor//modding machine.

So again, Blizzard will not become an uber map Nazi and start posting fan made maps up for sale. Basically, any rumor you hear that is negative towards SC2 is going to be false, I learned this the hard way. SC2 is going to be insanely fun, insanely balanced, and extremely open ended in terms of modding//mapping.

Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of all the uninformed people whining about how terrible SC2 will be. Blizzard is, in my opinion, the BEST video game developing company out there. An extremely successful company is not going to be making simple mistakes that are going to piss off all the SC1 fans -it's as simple as that.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >
  Back to forum