Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Update in progress
Update in progress
Jul 26 2009, 9:40 pm
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >

Jul 28 2009, 2:38 pm MadZombie Post #81

Quote from JaFF
Here are my current views on the ranking system:

Each post a member makes adds certain points to his 'rank'. Posts in mapping-related forums and SD give more points than in other forums. Posts in Null may not give any points at all. If a post gets moderated or deleted, points are subtracted based on what forum this post was in and the severity points given. Say if a member got 1 severity point for a post, half of the rank points that post gave him are subtracted. If he got two severity points, all the rank points gained from that post are taken away. If he was given 3 or more severity, even more rank points are subtracted. You can also incorporate the severity points a member has; for example someone with 0-3 severity gets half of the post's rank points subtracted for a 1-severity point offence, while anyone who has 4 or more severity points gets more rank points subtracted for a 1-severity point offence.

This way, we don't just base your ranks on posts, but also allow the quality of those posts to influence the rank of a member. Since moderation is becoming more effective than it was, say, 3 years ago, we can be more confident that even slightly spammy posts get a refreshing glass of justice served and even the most careful 'rank spammers' get punished.

I like the idea of ranks being unit icons going from an SCV or Civilian to a BC or Carrier. I also think they should be displayed under the avatar; perhaps next to the online status and contact buttons.
waaait. So we got icons based ONLY on our posts? didn't activity points have something to do with it?

I like my idea better. By raising the standards there will be ALOT less icons, actually i think we should throw icons next to names out and use the space that was used for posts and karma points under our avatars. Almost like a "medals" type of thing. You put the regular and veterans icon there and you could make other icons for other things that that member has done. Like winning a temple siege tourny gets some TS icon or putting the mug moose of appreciation there.

OR bolds, italics, and colored underlines :\

None.

Jul 28 2009, 2:45 pm JaFF Post #82

Quote from MadZombie
waaait. So we got icons based ONLY on our posts? didn't activity points have something to do with it?
I wasn't talking about our current system. I was talking about a system I'd like to see implemented.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 3:26 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #83

Just here for the activity... well not really

This may seem off-topic but since this is an update thread:
Add Hat's online/offline things to other skins. I didn't even know you were using them until a screenshot by someone.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Jul 28 2009, 3:50 pm Jesusfreak Post #84

scv = new member
civilian = regular
marine = veteran
ghost = elite
tank = gmod, staff, or w/e
battlecruiser = admin

So basically everyone would have some kind of icon.
Those are all terran :( . Not to mention that it'd make more sense for civilian to be new member, since civs are technically useless :bleh: . Scvs are actually quite useful in SC, maybe scv can be a special icon for those who invited other users ("Community Builder" or something, it makes sense to have the scv represent it because the scv's job is to build :bleh: ).

I think it should be the player's choice whether he gets zerg, terran, or protoss. The Heirarchies could go like this:
Larva - New Member_________Civilian - New Member_________Zealot - New Member
Zergling - Regular____________Marine - Regular______________Dragoon - Regular
Hydralisk - Veteran__________Vulture - Veteran______________High Templar - Veteran
Defiler - Elite________________Ghost - Elite__________________Dark Templar - Elite
Ultralisk - Staff_______________Tank - Staff__________________Reaver - Staff
Overlord - Admin_____________Battlecruiser - Admin_________Observer - Admin

None.

Jul 28 2009, 6:05 pm Corbo Post #85

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Jesusfreak
Those are all terran :( . Not to mention that it'd make more sense for civilian to be new member, since civs are technically useless :bleh: .

We discussed this with devi and we agreed that civilian > scv.
Civilians are like a step up because, well, they are civilians. Instead scvs are just slaves, workers and peons. :P

@JaFF: That'd do nothing but both, make the people start spamming even more since the icons would be based on post count and will make moderators add severity levels like crazy.
I think I like it how it is right now, not automated, even if it is a hard work on moose and ip

fuck you all

Jul 28 2009, 6:16 pm Demented Shaman Post #86

I think if you're going to include a zerg/protoss theme you should make drone and probe the new member ones.

This is just a possible suggestion.
new member scv/drone/probe
regular marine/zergling/zealot
veteran vulture/hydralisk/dragoon
elite tank/ultralisk/reaver
staff wraith/mutalisk/corsair
admin battlecruiser/guardian/carrier

I think we should divide all the SC units up into the categories new member, regular, veteran, elite, staff, and admin. Then we can let the people in those groups select which one they want. That way even though two people are in the same group they can be a little different. Having just one unit per group is too limiting especially with all the SC units we have. I'd like to see each unit as a possible icon in some way.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 28 2009, 6:31 pm by Pariah.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 6:54 pm Excalibur Post #87

The sword and the faith

I see discussion on the icons is going on well enough, but the standards also need to be redone.

In general, I wouldn't call Hug A Zergling ,TassadarZeratule, or MadZombie Veterans. They may meet the numerical standards in activity/posts, but I believe groups should have a bit more meaning to them than that.

IP you originally stated that you took this idea from my outline for ML 2.0's system. So far though, it only looks like you've taken the first half. I know that this is in progress, but I want to make sure that you get it completely and correctly. These ranks aren't just earned by posts or activity or any profile field numbers. If I want to know if someone has x posts, x activity, and x karma, I can look in their profile. These ranks should represent something more. Veterans, Elites, these should be a select few, indeed Elites should be very rare. In my original design and estimations, Elites would never outnumber staff (This is because anyone who is deserving enough to be an Elite USUALLY either is Staff, should be Staff, or is retired Staff.), and Veterans wouldn't be any more than 1 out of every 75 regularly active users. Then again, I don't know if you're looking to display that a user is both Reg/Vet/Elite and Staff, or just one.

Again, I know this is in progress, but I hope I don't see nearly the number of Veterans that I'm seeing right now, and that Elites will be properly numbered.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jul 28 2009, 7:09 pm MadZombie Post #88

Tbh get rid of "elites". Anyone who can make it to that status is basically a person who is next in line should a mod be lost and would be needed to be replaced. Just keep it as Regulars and veterans. Regular rank should be achieved with numerical statistics and veterans with things that they've actually done. I mean its kinda funny that I'm considered a Veteran since I've never completed a map or helped around at all. The only thing I have is that I've been around since we had zergling pets. lul

None.

Jul 28 2009, 7:12 pm Forsaken Archer Post #89

Quote from MadZombie
Regular rank should be achieved with numerical statistics and veterans with things that they've actually done. I mean its kinda funny that I'm considered a Veteran since I've never completed a map or helped around at all. The only thing I have is that I've been around since we had zergling pets. lul
That's exactly what Ex was saying. And I agree.

Hopefully everyone is as understanding when they (maybe) lose their veteran status.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 7:17 pm Demented Shaman Post #90

Demoting veterans is one option or you could leave veterans as it is now where the main factors are activity and length of time at SEN. Then you would give elite status to those veterans who have done more Starcraft/mapping related things.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 7:34 pm payne Post #91

:payne:

I like the Protoss/Zerg/Terran feature.

PROTOSS FTW!

None.

Jul 28 2009, 8:09 pm samsizzle Post #92

why do the icons have to be yellow? it makes everyone who has white names have a yellow tint to them.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 8:11 pm poison_us Post #93

Back* from the grave

Quote from JaFF
This way, we don't just base your ranks on posts, but also allow the quality of those posts to influence the rank of a member.

This.
But more important to me is uniqueness. I like the teamliquid icons, but us copying an aspect of another site makes me kinda queasy. If SEN had done it first, I wouldn't have objected to the SC icons, but...

Jul 28 2009, 8:11 pm Demented Shaman Post #94

Yellow is awesome.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 8:17 pm Crimson Magnum Post #95

Shogun

Hm, so how exactly do I become a regular or veteran...?

None.

Jul 28 2009, 9:14 pm InsolubleFluff Post #96

Elite should be veterans with high contribution that do not wish to be a moderator anymore.

Tuxedo Templar or Rantent for instance.

What is CaptainWill? He was GM wasn't he?

None.

Jul 28 2009, 9:14 pm Corbo Post #97

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from name:Pariah
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3088/probe.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(760938531)" id="image_clickable_760938531" class="image_clickable"> | http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5100/reaver.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(525743064)" id="image_clickable_525743064" class="image_clickable">

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9425/drone.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(491015619)" id="image_clickable_491015619" class="image_clickable"> | http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4353/ultralisk.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(487813671)" id="image_clickable_487813671" class="image_clickable">

=D?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 28 2009, 9:22 pm by Corbo.

fuck you all

Jul 28 2009, 9:26 pm Demented Shaman Post #98

Quote from name:Shocko
Elite should be veterans with high contribution that do not wish to be a moderator anymore.

Tuxedo Templar or Rantent for instance.

What is CaptainWill? He was GM wasn't he?
Elites should be currently active and maintain their level of activity.

I'd rather recognize people that are still here and doing stuff rather than people who once did a lot a while ago but now barely visit the site anymore.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 9:28 pm Devourer Post #99

Hello

Quote from Corbo
Quote from name:Pariah
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3088/probe.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(190200622)" id="image_clickable_190200622" class="image_clickable"> | http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5100/reaver.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(387262179)" id="image_clickable_387262179" class="image_clickable">

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9425/drone.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(106281285)" id="image_clickable_106281285" class="image_clickable"> | http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4353/ultralisk.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(675125099)" id="image_clickable_675125099" class="image_clickable">

=D?

This is nice and I support the idea :] Go for it, IP/Moose.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jul 28 2009, 9:38 pm DevliN Post #100

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Crimson Magnum
Hm, so how exactly do I become a regular or veteran...?
Unfortunatley it seems to be solely based on post count right now (I'm guessing). That's how the original system was, too.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >
  Back to forum