Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Update in progress
Update in progress
Jul 26 2009, 9:40 pm
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >

Jul 28 2009, 9:42 pm Corbo Post #101

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

For the people saying that this is based on post count, here's a quote from the very first post:
All status updates will be on admin approval only, as to avoid people spamming to get to different tiers.

fuck you all

Jul 28 2009, 9:43 pm Demented Shaman Post #102

Quote from DevliN
Quote from Crimson Magnum
Hm, so how exactly do I become a regular or veteran...?
Unfortunatley it seems to be solely based on post count right now (I'm guessing). That's how the original system was, too.
No. It's a factor, but ultimately Moose and IP can make anyone whatever they want.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 10:00 pm Excalibur Post #103

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Pariah
Quote from name:Shocko
Elite should be veterans with high contribution that do not wish to be a moderator anymore.

Tuxedo Templar or Rantent for instance.

What is CaptainWill? He was GM wasn't he?
Elites should be currently active and maintain their level of activity.

I'd rather recognize people that are still here and doing stuff rather than people who once did a lot a while ago but now barely visit the site anymore.
Although I agree with this to a certain extent, people like Voyager still deserve it, while maybe CaptainWill or others who haven't really done much in the way of mapping/modding in their history do not. (Note I am not sure if CaptainWill ever mapped/modded.) I mean Voy may not be here much anymore, but I doubt next to anyone will reach near his level of contribution to the modding community, even if SEN lasts forever.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jul 28 2009, 10:02 pm Demented Shaman Post #104

I agree that certainly past members should be recognized with elite status. My main concern is that the people currently active should not be neglected. SEN is still a living active community not just a dead record of the past.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 10:03 pm Excalibur Post #105

The sword and the faith

I agree that certainly past members should be recognized with elite status. My main concern is that the people currently active should not be neglected. SEN is still a living active community not just a dead record of the past.
Agreed entirely. I think people put a little too much emphasis on old SEN, and fail to realize we've got up and comers right now. For example I wouldn't have given TZ or Hydro a second glance when they registered but they've become a couple of solid modders.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 28 2009, 10:16 pm Demented Shaman Post #106

Quote from poison_us
Quote from JaFF
This way, we don't just base your ranks on posts, but also allow the quality of those posts to influence the rank of a member.

This.
But more important to me is uniqueness. I like the teamliquid icons, but us copying an aspect of another site makes me kinda queasy. If SEN had done it first, I wouldn't have objected to the SC icons, but...
The icons are similar, but not the same because Corbo is making them on his own. They're SC units and I don't think it really matters that TL also has SC units as icons.

Unless you can provide a better alternative that fits SEN as well as SC units do then we should go with the SC units.

None.

Jul 28 2009, 10:31 pm UnholyUrine Post #107

Quote from Corbo
This is just a possible suggestion.
new member scv/drone/probe
regular marine/zergling/zealot
veteran vulture/hydralisk/dragoon
elite tank/ultralisk/reaver
staff wraith/mutalisk/corsair
admin battlecruiser/guardian/carrier
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3088/probe.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(849169340)" id="image_clickable_849169340" class="image_clickable"> | http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5100/reaver.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(279946690)" id="image_clickable_279946690" class="image_clickable">

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9425/drone.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(175928355)" id="image_clickable_175928355" class="image_clickable"> | http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4353/ultralisk.png] " style="max-width:500px; max-height:500px;" onclick="javascript:show_image(728534222)" id="image_clickable_728534222" class="image_clickable">

=D?

I like this for sure :D (Guardian looks a bit funky.. Can you try Overlord? ><")

In a Ranking system, it is best (not always necessary, however) to have the ranks do something rather than just be an aesthetic appearance.
Regulars should not have any extra functions because, as the first rank, it serves its purpose by telling people that you're not just some random guy coming and going....

Veterans should be able to do something extra that isn't necessary to the forum... maybe being a veteran allows them to Have/Buy some stuff such as the Name Changer... Some Icons... Signature space... Avatar Space.. bigger inbox space.. etc...
Because of this, Veterans should either have a high standard to get in (~1000 posts is actually pretty high, its just that many of us have been here for a long time =.=') and/or must have moderator(s)'s agreement...

Elite should be able to do even more stuff and.. bleh w/e...
Suddenly I feel it's getting too complicated....

Overall, I agree having Veteran/Elite requiring Moderator(s)'s agreement :\...
I don't really care much cause I'm just a Regular :\ ... But I'm just throwing out sm ideas..

None.

Jul 28 2009, 10:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #108

I'm starting to feel like I'm part of some sort of clan now with this explicit hierarchy crap. Give us the option disable this ASAP before I hurl from self disgust.

Jul 28 2009, 10:45 pm DevliN Post #109

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Corbo
For the people saying that this is based on post count, here's a quote from the very first post:
All status updates will be on admin approval only, as to avoid people spamming to get to different tiers.
Quote from DevliN
Unfortunatley it seems to be solely based on post count right now (I'm guessing). That's how the original system was, too.
No. It's a factor, but ultimately Moose and IP can make anyone whatever they want.
I get that, as I did actually read all the posts in the topic. I'm mostly basing my assumption on http://www.staredit.net/?p=members&order=posts&by=desc

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 29 2009, 12:10 am Demented Shaman Post #110

Edit: I just updated a few members that were online at the time, the rest will come later. So don't feel left out yet.
That shows IP was adding people manually.

From my conversation with Moose yesterday.
[22:57] Moose: Why did I promote Shocko
[22:57] Moose: LOL

IP and Moose have been exercising their right to promote deserving members so it's not solely based on post count right now.

You can't say it's solely post count when post count alone can't get you a status update, because it requires admin approval. So technically right now it's only admin approval.

None.

Jul 29 2009, 12:21 am rockz Post #111

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I'm starting to feel like I'm part of some sort of clan now with this explicit hierarchy crap. Give us the option disable this ASAP before I hurl from self disgust.

You've always had the option to disabled this.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 29 2009, 12:35 am Demented Shaman Post #112

Quote from rockz
Quote from ClansAreForGays

You've always had the option to disabled this.
Omg, what is that? Lynx?

None.

Jul 29 2009, 1:06 am Moose Post #113

We live in a society.

Quote from Falkoner
Oh hey, I just thought an admin deserves a high-five for adding percents to the Forums tab in our profiles, nice addition :)
Thanks. :)

Quote from FlyingHat
Another thought:
If more minor visual updates to SEN are going to be made, then could the new, border-less user status icons be used? The borders are unnecessary and are a serious eyesore. http://www.staredit.net/topic/4151/
I'll get on that. I think that I replaced them in the classic skin but not Carbonite.
(EDIT: Done. Thanks again for the images.)

Quote from name:Shocko
Or just do something important
NO U.

Quote from Corbo
11px is nowhere near "comfortable" enough to get something that'd be understandable... Unless we do spells which, since they're just shapes, hopefully we can understand them better.
Now you know why the G looked bad! :rolleyes:

Quote from JaFF
Here are my current views on the ranking system:

Each post a member makes adds certain points to his 'rank'. Posts in mapping-related forums and SD give more points than in other forums. Posts in Null may not give any points at all. If a post gets moderated or deleted, points are subtracted based on what forum this post was in and the severity points given. Say if a member got 1 severity point for a post, half of the rank points that post gave him are subtracted. If he got two severity points, all the rank points gained from that post are taken away. If he was given 3 or more severity, even more rank points are subtracted. You can also incorporate the severity points a member has; for example someone with 0-3 severity gets half of the post's rank points subtracted for a 1-severity point offence, while anyone who has 4 or more severity points gets more rank points subtracted for a 1-severity point offence.

This way, we don't just base your ranks on posts, but also allow the quality of those posts to influence the rank of a member. Since moderation is becoming more effective than it was, say, 3 years ago, we can be more confident that even slightly spammy posts get a refreshing glass of justice served and even the most careful 'rank spammers' get punished.
We called this system "minerals". :P

Quote from DevliN
Post count is quite overemphasized in the script that selects possible candidates. And it only becomes more so as the rank increases. I need to adjust the criteria.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 29 2009, 1:26 am by Mini Moose 2707.

Jul 29 2009, 2:16 am rockz Post #114

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Omg, what is that? Lynx?
yes. However, it should be noted that greasemonkey can easily block specific images if you have any programming knowledge.

Can I vote aster be the only "Elite" member (since apparently admins have the final say and all that)?

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
We called this system "minerals". :P
I'd like to say I've always liked the minerals idea. Having the minerals viewable was a good indicator of whether or not the person was new, or I just don't recognize them yet. The -200 helped a lot, since you have to post quite a bit to actually get out of the debt. I still don't know what was broken with them to the point where they needed to be disabled. I can generally gauge my response based on how new I think the person is, which minerals did a good job doing (they just need to be viewable). I also think "disabling fun" was kind of pointless especially since all it did for me was take away all my items that I had.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 29 2009, 2:18 am Demented Shaman Post #115

Armies was the best game at SEN. Zerg pets too, especially when I had the strongest pets because I figured out you could battle your own pets.

None.

Jul 29 2009, 2:50 am rockz Post #116

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I was either not here when that happened or I never entered into SEN's /b/ at that time. Still though, something to keep us occupied. We can't even magic box anymore.

Jul 29 2009, 3:30 am payne Post #117

:payne:

Quote from Devourer
Quote from Corbo
[quote=name:Pariah]This is just a possible suggestion.
new member scv/drone/probe
regular marine/zergling/zealot
veteran vulture/hydralisk/dragoon
elite tank/ultralisk/reaver
staff wraith/mutalisk/corsair
admin battlecruiser/guardian/carrier
Make them a bit bigger? Maybe as big as the usernames? :O

EDIT: Wtf is that buggy quote? xD

None.

Jul 29 2009, 4:31 am CecilSunkure Post #118

This is a little bit off topic, but since we are talking about updates..

I would like to be able to see previous posts while editing a post you have already made, just like you can when you are replying to a topic. I have to open up two tabs, which isn't too bad, but I would appreciate being able to see previous posts while editing.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 12:20 am Falkoner Post #119

It would be cool if you got more access on the SeN bot depending on your rank on SeN :)

None.

Jul 31 2009, 12:23 am Excalibur Post #120

The sword and the faith

Quote from Falkoner
It would be cool if you got more access on the SeN bot depending on your rank on SeN :)
I am very doubtful of this happening.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum