Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Left 4 Dead 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Jul 17 2009, 6:40 am
By: FatalException
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

Jul 18 2009, 9:34 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #21

Actually, as far as i can tell, they are using a modified version of source. So it isn't the same and they updates wouldn't be compatible with l4d(1).

Also, valve did a released a statement about their negative feedback here:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217181

I suggest you read it because it makes more sense than what I said lol.

None.

Jul 18 2009, 9:38 pm KrayZee Post #22

I've read that already and it isn't capable of convincing the boycott.

And people can still play Left 4 Dead 2 campaigns on Left 4 Dead 1 with the "Add-on Campaign" feature, even with an outdated AI Director.

None.

Jul 18 2009, 9:44 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #23

Well they say it's too large to just be an update? I'm assuming you think it just an excuse to generate more money?

None.

Jul 19 2009, 1:05 am BiOAtK Post #24

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Well they say it's too large to just be an update? I'm assuming you think it just an excuse to generate more money?
Yes. Yes it is.

None.

Jul 19 2009, 4:55 am Jello-Jigglers Post #25

Quote from BiOAtK
Yes. Yes it is.
You kinda sound like a ticked off girlfriend that got dumped... "he promised me he loved me and would stick by my side all the time" --- "They promised me a game with tons of free downloadable content and updates"
The fact is, I can't find a reliable source where they made these 'promises'. Are they on the back of the box? Even if these promises were made, you can't expect them to make the wrong decision to keep an empty promise. TF2 worked somehow but it it isn't working for l4d obviously.

Games come and go. Looks like l4d is going and l4d2 is coming. A boycott is hardly rational and even less likely to dent their sales.

None.

Jul 19 2009, 3:38 pm Riney Post #26

Thigh high affectionado

I Pirated L4D 1 and didnt like it at all (Would have bought it to play multiplay for sure had I did). Got my boycott for sure (Even for pirating it ;o)

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jul 19 2009, 5:05 pm Fierce Post #27

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
I Pirated L4D 1 and didnt like it at all (Would have bought it to play multiplay for sure had I did). Got my boycott for sure (Even for pirating it ;o)
You're opinion shouldn't really count because you didn't pay for it to begin with.. Why the hell would you boycott a sequel to a game that you didn't even buy in the first place? I mean sure your opinion counts somewhat because you did play the game partially but saying you're just going to boycott the second one because you didn't like the first one is pretty stupid. If you didn't like the first one why would you want to have any input on the second one?

None.

Jul 19 2009, 5:13 pm Phobos Post #28

Are you sure about that?

Internet: Serious fucking business

More on-topic-ly: A boycott is not going to change anything :ermm:

this is signature

Jul 19 2009, 6:02 pm Fierce Post #29

Quote from name:Almost Alive
Internet: Serious fucking business

More on-topic-ly: A boycott is not going to change anything :ermm:
Srsly.

A boycott can change many things. A boycott, however, cannot change the fact that the game will come out.

None.

Jul 19 2009, 8:27 pm Forsaken Archer Post #30

Certainly a good read. I think Valve will do everything in their power to not screw this up.

None.

Jul 20 2009, 10:18 am KrayZee Post #31

The fact is, I can't find a reliable source where they made these 'promises'. Are they on the back of the box? Even if these promises were made, you can't expect them to make the wrong decision to keep an empty promise. TF2 worked somehow but it it isn't working for l4d obviously.

Games come and go. Looks like l4d is going and l4d2 is coming.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_details_post_left_4_dead_launch_plans.html

Done and done. It's called "Google" and the article was published before Left 4 Dead demo was released. And how is it "obviously" not working for Left 4 Dead if it is working in Team Fortress 2 "somehow"?

And L4D is going? I doubt it, there are people still playing games developed from the 80s and 90s. If compared to success, at least ten thousand players still play Halo 2, years after Halo 3's release. And Halo 2's current population on Xbox Live is about half (more or less, depending on the week of the day) of the amount of Left 4 Dead's daily population peak on the PC version alone. And because the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott reached at least 40,000, which is twice the amount of players of the daily peak population of original Left 4 Dead, that's A LOT. And considering that many in that 40,000 still plays Left 4 Dead. And there are still more players who have yet to join the boycott, and hates the idea of a Left 4 Dead sequel.

None.

Jul 20 2009, 12:30 pm Fierce Post #32

Quote from name:John F Kennedy
And L4D is going? I doubt it, there are people still playing games developed from the 80s and 90s. If compared to success, at least ten thousand players still play Halo 2, years after Halo 3's release. And Halo 2's current population on Xbox Live is about half (more or less, depending on the week of the day) of the amount of Left 4 Dead's daily population peak on the PC version alone. And because the Left 4 Dead 2 boycott reached at least 40,000, which is twice the amount of players of the daily peak population of original Left 4 Dead, that's A LOT. And considering that many in that 40,000 still plays Left 4 Dead. And there are still more players who have yet to join the boycott, and hates the idea of a Left 4 Dead sequel.
No matter what, people will buy L4D 2... even the boycotters.

None.

Jul 20 2009, 6:02 pm Ashamed Post #33

Hear me Raor!!

I know, i wish they didn't do this, because i love l4D, And i wish i could boycott it but its simply will not happen, I want the recent game yes im upset but i know its still going to come out, and i order to stay updated in my l4D world i will need to buy the new one. who knows mby they will make it like a expansion and you get to pick from the old characters too. :)!

None.

Jul 20 2009, 6:16 pm KrayZee Post #34

Quote from Fierce
No matter what, people will buy L4D 2... even the boycotters.
While there are people in the boycott that may play Left 4 Dead 2, the steam group's description clearly say that anyone that joined the group would refuse to purchase it. And what I'm saying, Fierce, is that it will do in fact, split the Left 4 Dead community apart. If at least 40,100 are committed (And still growing) to abstain from the purchase of Left 4 Dead 2, with 20,000 more or less of the population peak of each day in the original Left 4 Dead, it will hurt the sales and population. You will not have as many players as the original Left 4 Dead to begin with, that's bad especially if it will remain to use matchmaking. And I said that already, if that didn't clear it up, the sales of Left 4 Dead 2 may never reach the success to its predecessor.

And lastly, people are pissed off at Left 4 Dead 2 because it has the same achievements as the original, seen during E3.

Edit: At the end of this video, I'm getting more doubts about this game. If this happens in the release version, how is this considered "Left 4 Dead"? Leaving your teammates behind for the dead, only having them to be teleported in the rescue vehicle incapacitated? I see what they did there.

Here's the picture:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 22 2009, 9:13 am by John F Kennedy.

None.

Aug 4 2009, 4:19 pm FireFightJack Post #35

I'm gonna have to go with the boycott on this one. Unless this game comes out with a 20 dollar price tag, its not worth it to me to get the same game I bought for $50 with some new campaigns, some "updates", and some new models. I'd be okay with an expansion, theres no reason why an update to the director wouldn't work on L4D1, and I can get and play new maps and models from the internet. This would be like if they come out with a mod for starcraft, made a campaign and a mod for it, and called it Starcraft 2 and charged 50 bucks for it. I'll pay expansion price for it, and no more. With all the other games to look forward to in the coming 6 months, I have better ways to spend 50.

None.

Aug 4 2009, 10:35 pm FatalException Post #36

Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't just put this out in a series of updates. I mean, they didn't make Team Fortress 3 so they could release all the new weapons, maps, and achievements. I can see how the new AI director could be slightly more problematic than the others, but AI patches have been released before in other games, so I don't see why it wouldn't work here. At most, it should be an expansion pack. It makes similar additions to Left 4 Dead as Brood War did to Starcraft.

None.

Aug 6 2009, 3:38 am KrayZee Post #37

Unfortunately from E3, there are same achievements, same weapons with new models/skins with buffed fire bullets, explosives, etc with more unnecessary weapons and melee weapons.

Gabe Newell himself doesn't like the idea of Left 4 Dead 2.

None.

Aug 6 2009, 7:07 am lil-Inferno Post #38

Just here for the pie

Instead of naming it Left 4 Dead 2, they should have called it Left 2 Die, though people will probably think it's a ripoff of the original :P.

Aug 6 2009, 7:47 am RIVE Post #39

Just Here For The Pie

I am really excited for the L4D expansion campaign Crash Course coming out this September!

(Tee-Hee!)

None.

Aug 11 2009, 8:01 pm DevliN Post #40

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I love L4D and I'll probably buy the sequel if I have money to toss around. I don't really care about the boycott or that Valve isn't releasing more content that they "promised." That's business, and no matter what any group does, the game will still be released and will still sell a ton of copies.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum