Left 4 Dead 2
Jul 17 2009, 6:40 am
By: FatalException
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Nov 15 2009, 5:58 am RIVE Post #61

Just Here For The Pie

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from KrayZee
Spitters only make the game challenging if they spit acid on incapacitated players.
I dunno, they do a lot more damage than I expected. I guess we'll have to see how they're used... I think they'll have more potential with humans in control.

Spitters prevent camping. Also, I can see myself spitting on a guy getting cornered by the tank.

Is it Tuesday yet?

None.

Nov 15 2009, 8:00 am KrayZee Post #62

Lol, FAKs on Expert. Though there were a couple more guaranteed ones in L4D1. (like one outside an ambulance in No Mercy) (Actually, maybe those two spots were the only places.)
Yeah, the ambulances are the only exceptions; one is at No Mercy 3, and maybe Death Toll 3 (Usually I see pain pills on Death Toll 3's ambulance instead). The people at the Steam forums claims Left 4 Dead 1 expert spawns first aid kits just like Left 4 Dead 2.

Speaking of the steam forum, these people not only claim things (One claimed he already played the full version of Left 4 Dead 2, and I think he's lying, or probably played against noob players in versus) but also the players who replied are in absolute denial, suck, or never bothered expert anyways. Before the announcement of Left 4 Dead 2 AND during E3, the steam forums littered topics saying the idea of a sequel is bad and boycotted, and now today we see different people dominating the forums saying how Left 4 Dead 2 is great. One person who said I was trolling did not even have a steam account, and I see the forums are full of casual players claiming, have no rebuttals whatsoever, or probably never played expert.

Quote from KrayZee
A single bile bomb just freezes the Tank when the horde surrounds him
That's just silly.
Just don't ignite the Tank with a Molotov after since that "thaws" the Tank. :P

I would tend to think it increases accuracy by "I see a laser dot on the enemy, so I should shoot", not actually shrinking the targeting reticle to make the weapon more accurate. IE, it would increase player accuracy, not weapon accuracy.
Don't really find it necessary if that's the case. If I recall, this video is proof that it shrinks the targeting reticle on an AK47, which apparently should not be accurate at long range.

This video shows more, such as explosive rounds, fire rounds, and the grenade launcher.

I dunno, they do a lot more damage than I expected. I guess we'll have to see how they're used... I think they'll have more potential with humans in control.
Hopefully they have more potential, but I believe human players would try a tactic I'd say: seal a linear pathway, corners, or a lava effect on incapacitated players. I do hope infected players will try their best to divide the survivors, though. Irrelevant, but what I found odd about the Spitter is that the acid makes music. The further you are from the acid spit, the volume of the the spit music is lowered down. When you come closer, the spit music is raised up.

Quote from RIVE
Spitters prevent camping. Also, I can see myself spitting on a guy getting cornered by the tank.

Is it Tuesday yet?
Or spitting on an incapacitated player and run. For the record, the Spitter can spit further than the average human spitting. However, due to how versus is on normal difficulty, I sorta doubt players would stay out of the spit since it's like fire; players will revive incapacitated survivors regardless if s/he is stepping on it or not since I revive players on versus mode when I'm in the fire.

Spitters do prevent camping, but I find her to be more reliable on closing a linear pathway or on a incapacitated survivor. The public game players I've played with hardly camped at the corner unless there's a horde.

And no, it's not Tuesday. :bleh:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 15 2009, 8:30 am by KrayZee.

None.

Nov 15 2009, 10:22 am InsolubleFluff Post #63

I never played L4D, because by the time I had an xbox, I heard a sequel was coming. So I shall be starting in december on L4D2.

None.

Nov 15 2009, 10:07 pm FatalException Post #64

Quote from KrayZee
And the laser sight, as mentioned somewhere, that they increase accuracy, which I rather find pointless and even more overpowered.
I would tend to think it increases accuracy by "I see a laser dot on the enemy, so I should shoot", not actually shrinking the targeting reticle to make the weapon more accurate. IE, it would increase player accuracy, not weapon accuracy.
Quote from KrayZee
Redneck Scout really needs to STFU every time The Parish 2 starts, but at least one of the other three tells him to shut up.
Yes yes yes. All the randomization in the dialogue and he gives that goddamn speech 90% of the time.
Just want to throw this in: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013160
Multipliers

* survivor_burn_factor 0.2/0.2/0.4/1 (Burn damage on each difficulty)
* survivor_incapacitated_reload_multiplier 1.25 (Faster reloads)
* z_hit_chainsawer_factor 0.5 (If holding chainsaw out, take 50% damage from CI)
* z_hit_from_behind_fact 0.5 (Take 50% damage from hits to behind)
* z_hit_incap_factor 0.1/1/1/1 (Damage survivors take when incapacitated on every difficulty)
* z_shotgun_bonus_damage_multiplier 5.0 (Shotguns do 5 times damage at close range)
* z_shotgun_bonus_damage_range 100 (Range at which shotguns do 5 times damage)
* z_non_head_damage_factor 2/1/.75/.5 (Damage taken by zombies to all non-headshots on every difficulty)
* upgrade_laser_sight_spread_factor 0.4 (Laser sight upgrade makes all guns have 40% of the normal spread)

Also, there's a possibility for something else to be said at the beginning of the second level? Every time I've played it, Redneck Scout says his shit about eating crawdads, and usually Nick asks him if it's the time to be talking about that.

None.

Nov 16 2009, 8:16 am KrayZee Post #65

Although irrelevant, but I like to point the irony in the Left 4 Dead 2 forums: the most recent topics shows love for (And casual gamers/new players) or some questions about Left 4 Dead 2, the oldest shows hate for Left 4 Dead 2.

June/Oldest topics

* upgrade_laser_sight_spread_factor 0.4 (Laser sight upgrade makes all guns have 40% of the normal spread)
Wow, by 40%. That's a lot, but that doesn't make any sense. I prefer Mini Moose 2707's view of laser sight than that.

None.

Nov 16 2009, 11:18 am InsolubleFluff Post #66

Krayzee, am I wrong in thinking that the whole reason you hate L4D2 is because you have to pay for it and Zoe isn't in it?

Because if that is the case, put a gun in your mouth (prefferably with a laser scope for 40% more accuracy) and pull the trigger.

Aside the fact that Steam is a business, and they speciffically make games with the intention of making profit. You may find that Zoe appears in later chapters as hinted on xbox live. You will also find that anything rigged will soon be balanced, for free.

None.

Nov 16 2009, 3:56 pm KrayZee Post #67

Quote from name:Shocko
Krayzee, am I wrong in thinking that the whole reason you hate L4D2 is because you have to pay for it and Zoe isn't in it?

Because if that is the case, put a gun in your mouth (prefferably with a laser scope for 40% more accuracy) and pull the trigger.

Aside the fact that Steam is a business, and they speciffically make games with the intention of making profit. You may find that Zoe appears in later chapters as hinted on xbox live. You will also find that anything rigged will soon be balanced, for free.
At first, it was because Gabe promised DLC for L4D1, everything featured in L4D2 for people who didn't want to pay another $50 (Or $60) price tag. Gabe himself doubted the idea of the sequel before and called the boycott legitimate.

Second, I actually did some research for myself and predicted. I tested the demo myself to find out, but I didn't really expect to find expert to commonly provide first-aid kits for example, or the Tank to be incredibly weakened. I also want to note that with the new special infected, less boomers are used against the survivors, and that means less horde attacks.

By business, you mean corrupt capitalism taking full advantage of the gaming industry (Microsoft's paid DLC and Xbox Live service, EA's constant sequels/expansions, Activision's constant sequels, GameStop's exclusive pre-order bonuses)? To the extent that EA (EA, being the publisher who happens to have a lot of expansion packs and sequels) owns Left 4 Dead and earns profit? Valve, being the company providing free content and heavily supporting the PC fan base?

If anything, I want Left 4 Dead 2 to be great and released much later (Let's say: 5 years from now), but I find Left 4 Dead 2 to be much easier and imbalanced, disappointed at the new cast of survivors and such. One told me at the Steam forums that the Tank is glitching if the Bile Bomb freezes him. Other than that, where is Half Life 2 Episode 3?

If Left 4 Dead 2 is balanced, then the survivor team must be casual gamers. Casual gamers, being the aimed targets for high sales. If the survivor team are experienced players, and has the temptations to use exploits, then the infected players, without a doubt, will lose more. Unless this time the survivor team still rage quits just because they didn't start out as infected. There's part of me that believes the adrenaline shot allows survivors to run faster after they kill special infected players: As the special infected waits to respawn, the survivors uses the adrenaline to run to the safe room.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 16 2009, 4:01 pm by KrayZee.

None.

Nov 17 2009, 1:22 am Moose Post #68

We live in a society.

Meh. Got me with a thraed I linked to myself.

RE: Adrenaline
Has anyone actually calculated/looked up the movement speeds for all the various characters and infected?

Nov 17 2009, 1:33 am KrayZee Post #69

Has anyone actually calculated/looked up the movement speeds for all the various characters and infected?
Not exactly, but I know for a fact from experience: the player using adrenaline regardless of health color is much faster than a survivor with green health at full speed.

Edit: I like to point out that the Chainsaw on Left 4 Dead 2 does play like the Doom chainsaw, not the slow Gears of War chainsaw. I'm glad. Still rather cheap though regardless of the gasoline it limits.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Nov 17 2009, 11:54 am by KrayZee. Reason: hmm

None.

Nov 19 2009, 3:34 am FatalException Post #70

Meh. Got me with a thraed I linked to myself.
PWNED! :P
Quote from KrayZee
Not exactly, but I know for a fact from experience: the player using adrenaline regardless of health color is much faster than a survivor with green health at full speed.

Edit: I like to point out that the Chainsaw on Left 4 Dead 2 does play like the Doom chainsaw, not the slow Gears of War chainsaw. I'm glad. Still rather cheap though regardless of the gasoline it limits.
Yeah, I from what I've seen from using adrenaline, it gives you hardly any health, but it makes you RIDICULOUSLY fast. Like, TF2-Scout fast. Add that to how you don't get slowed down from taking hits, and it's just borderline silly. If there's any adrenaline around during one of the running crescendo events, they'll be really easy.

None.

Nov 20 2009, 6:18 pm RIVE Post #71

Just Here For The Pie

Anyone else having the best damn time of their lives with this game?

Scavenger is so fun, but they should have made GAS GUZZLER 53,000 cans instead of 100. I was already half way to the achievement after an hour of playing Scavenger.

The Jockey has become my new favorite infected. So fun to jump a rusher and steer him off in a side direction.

I also can't get enough of the Hard Rain campaign. A ton of witches to kill and weather that gets wicked whenever an attack is inbound.

None.

Nov 20 2009, 9:25 pm Moose Post #72

We live in a society.

Quote from RIVE
Scavenger is so fun, but they should have made GAS GUZZLER 53,000 cans instead of 100. I was already half way to the achievement after an hour of playing Scavenger.
You mean 53,597. Or whatever one up silliness they're on now.

Nov 21 2009, 1:44 am Zycorax Post #73

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Tried the demo today.
The characters seems more interesting than the ones in the first game (Ellis ftw ^^). The one campaign you can play in the demo wasn't very impressive (The Parish or something). Zombie slaughtering in daylight makes it lose the creepy feeling and creates more of a poor zombie comedy feeling. Of course I don't know what the other campaigns are like, so maybe it gets better. As for the weapons; didn't find a lot of new stuff, except for the silenced uzi thingy and the assault rifle which shoots in bursts, and of course the melee weapons. Damn the machete is amusing ^^

Overall I wouldn't say it's worth paying 38€ for. Might pick it up once it gets cheaper or if they have a weekend deal or something. They could as well just've made it an expansion.

Nov 21 2009, 6:58 am RIVE Post #74

Just Here For The Pie

Quote from RIVE
Scavenger is so fun, but they should have made GAS GUZZLER 53,000 cans instead of 100.
You mean 53,597. Or whatever one up silliness they're on now.
Maybe in Dead Rising 2.

Quote from Zycorax
Tried the demo today.
The characters seems more interesting than the ones in the first game (Ellis ftw ^^).
Ellis keeps telling stories, and the other survivors keep telling him to shut up.

Quote from Zycorax
The one campaign you can play in the demo wasn't very impressive (The Parish or something). Zombie slaughtering in daylight makes it lose the creepy feeling and creates more of a poor zombie comedy feeling.
Later in the campaign you fight your way across a bridge to get to the choppa.

Quote from Zycorax
Of course I don't know what the other campaigns are like, so maybe it gets better.
Hard Rain for the win!

Quote from Zycorax
As for the weapons; didn't find a lot of new stuff, except for the silenced uzi thingy and the assault rifle which shoots in bursts, and of course the melee weapons.
There are a ton of new guns in the actual game.

Quote from Zycorax
Damn the machete is amusing ^^
Try a ninja sword. :D

Quote from Zycorax
Overall I wouldn't say it's worth paying 38€ for.
It totally is worth it.

Quote from Zycorax
They could as well just've made it an expansion.
Like hell...

None.

Nov 21 2009, 9:54 am KrayZee Post #75

Quote from RIVE
It totally is worth it.
Actually that's one reason the boycott came to existence: if Left 4 Dead 2 is better, people felt ripped off from the first game particularly at a full $50/$60 dollar price tag. Though, I'd say Left 4 Dead 2 gives survivors such unfair imbalances to make it fun, and eye candy to appeal the casual players.

Note how a lot of people say they would be broke by Christmas every year due to reviews overrating games, and asking people to buy most of them.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 2:11 am RIVE Post #76

Just Here For The Pie

Quote from KrayZee
Quote from RIVE
It totally is worth it.
Actually that's one reason the boycott came to existence: if Left 4 Dead 2 is better, people felt ripped off from the first game particularly at a full $50/$60 dollar price tag. Though, I'd say Left 4 Dead 2 gives survivors such unfair imbalances to make it fun, and eye candy to appeal the casual players.

I thought it was worth it. Expert is actually a challenge this time around. Besides, it is not like when they were making the first game they said to each other, "Leave that out. I want it in the sequel that we already have planned." They spent three years making Left 4 Dead trying to make it right. When they got it right, they sold it to make money. Then they beefed it up so they could repackage it with a pretty new ribbon to make more money the next year. Lots of game companies do it.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 3:48 am FatalException Post #77

Quote from RIVE
Quote from KrayZee
Quote from RIVE
It totally is worth it.

I thought it was worth it. Expert is actually a challenge this time around. Besides, it is not like when they were making the first game they said to each other, "Leave that out. I want it in the sequel that we already have planned." They spent three years making Left 4 Dead trying to make it right. When they got it right, they sold it to make money. Then they beefed it up so they could repackage it with a pretty new ribbon to make more money the next year. Lots of game companies do it.
But Valve loves us more than lots of game companies. :-(

I like how Valve is near me, though. There are Left 4 Dead 2 ads on billboards EVERYWHERE in and around Seattle.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 5:17 am RIVE Post #78

Just Here For The Pie

Quote from FatalException
There are Left 4 Dead 2 ads on billboards EVERYWHERE in and around Seattle.

Trust me, those are just all over the place in general. I seen a couple here in Chicago. I even remember seeing a few for the first game last year.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 6:53 am KrayZee Post #79

Quote from RIVE
Quote from KrayZee
Quote from RIVE
It totally is worth it.

That's because you're new to Left 4 Dead 2. Expert on L4D2 is easier than L4D1 due to many weapon spawns that also doesn't disappear in a different play through, more ways to crown the witch, Tank is weakened plus the new toys to use against him, less boomer spawns (They are the ones that often calls in the horde) due to AI Director using the three new special infected, use of new toys against anything. Anything difficult is the Jockey, and the other two new special infected prevent camping. If Left 4 Dead 2 is any harder, it would be the new infected, the modified special infected AI, realism, spawning more witches, and the way levels are played.

In the original Left 4 Dead, by December 2008, exploits were heavily used: skipping dumpster crescendo in Dead Air 2, jumping over fire blockade crescendo in Dead Air 3, flaming Hunter pounce, melee the metal sheet door to skip lift crescendo in No Mercy 3 (Still working in Xbox 360), melee spam (This introduced melee fatigue), Gatling Gun human launcher, stand behind Witch (She won't move), etc. were all fixed on PC by after Christmas. Auto Shotgun would have to deal less damage on Tanks in versus, environment fire on Hunter does not deal damage anymore unless it's Molotov fire, Tank runs faster while on fire, etc. 25 damage pounces are still there.

In Left 4 Dead 2, just wait until December where it gets insane, and expert plays much easier, then you'll play Realism Expert, Scavenger, Survival, or Versus instead. Valve would have to nerf the Survivors heavily after December. Already what's nerfed is that Tanks using cars to incapacitate survivors does not incapacitate them anymore, Tanks do not pound on survivors and moves to the next one (A pounding on survivors in expert would kill them), etc. Smart survivor players would stay away from the Tank and somewhat divided away from other survivors if no other special infected are around.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 10:51 am RIVE Post #80

Just Here For The Pie

I only have three achievements left, and two of them are 'all campaigns beat on expert' and 'beat realism on expert'. I have yet to beat a single campaign on expert in L4D2. I have been doing them with random teams, which anyone would tell you is the wrong way to go, but that is how I beat all the expert campaigns in the first game. Expert is just giving me way too much trouble in this one.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum