Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: What part of Math do you hate with a passion.
What part of Math do you hate with a passion.
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Sep 27 2007, 9:57 pm
By: JordanN
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Oct 8 2007, 7:19 am DT_Battlekruser Post #101

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Off with your head!

I think by repetition, he means like to learn, say, how to find the vertex of a parabola by putting it into (x-h)^2 + k form you get a series of 25 problems that are all more or less the same. At least for someone bright like me, I get it after the fourth problem at the latest,

I don't like trig. However, we've recently been introduced to radians, which makes the entire subject A LOT easier.

Radians own life. Which is why I hate my physics class.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 9:31 pm Dr. Shotgun Post #102

Radians are sex.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 9:43 pm Syphon Post #103

Quote from Dapperdan
No.

How in the world will repitition help your understanding of something?

When you're made to repeat something a bunch of times, a smart person will try and find a more efficient route to doing it, this leads invariably to a better understand of the underlying processes.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 10:42 pm Rantent Post #104

I hate people that ask for more examples of things that we have been covering for the last two weeks.
(Honestly, read the book or something.)

None.

Oct 9 2007, 7:02 pm Dapperdan Post #105

When you're made to repeat something a bunch of times, a smart person will try and find a more efficient route to doing it, this leads invariably to a better understand of the underlying processes.

But if you don't understand it in the first place, repitition won't help at all. Figuring out a way to do something differently does not mean you understand it better necessarily. It might just mean you found some type of trick but truly have no idea what the point of the exercises are. Like, if I type in sin(68) and various other simple trig equations on my calculator a thousand times, I won't know any better what the value is that I'm getting actually means any more than when I started said grand repition. ^^

None.

Oct 9 2007, 7:14 pm spinesheath Post #106

Quote from Dapperdan

But if you don't understand it in the first place, repitition won't help at all. Figuring out a way to do something differently does not mean you understand it better necessarily. It might just mean you found some type of trick but truly have no idea what the point of the exercises are. Like, if I type in sin(68) and various other simple trig equations on my calculator a thousand times, I won't know any better what the value is that I'm getting actually means any more than when I started said grand repition. ^^

I'd say those are both valid statements. Repetition can only help once you got at least the basic concept.

None.

Oct 9 2007, 9:02 pm Dapperdan Post #107

I'd say those are both valid statements.

That could very likely be true. :}

None.

Nov 21 2007, 9:35 pm haloman210 Post #108

all math sucks. i think th@ who ever invented it should have been shot. :-_-:

None.

Nov 22 2007, 2:36 am Hynk Post #109

Quite frankly I find math awesome. But the only things I really dislike about math are... GRAPHING .. yuck! and terminology.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum