Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Sep 19 2007, 5:46 pm
By: mikelat
Pages: < 1 « 17 18 19 20 >

Sep 28 2007, 2:33 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #361

You're such an ass, fighting so hard to keep the argument going, dev :P

None.

Sep 28 2007, 3:51 pm Kellimus Post #362

Quote from Akar
Kellimus, if you don't have anything productive to say, don't say it.

Hmm? As for that topic on maplantis was to see where maplantis stood on the topic of Unprotection. And don't start dissing mappers, that will only give you less respect by all of the other mappers around you. You don't see me go around saying, "You know that one mapper that is a complete RETARD."

Everything I say has a purpose, and is productive. Just cause it talks shit on someone, doesn't mean it isn't productive.

Anyways, I don't have to explain myself too you, good day.

Quote from Falkoner
You cannot learn anything you want from the tutorials posted by people, as no one tends to make test maps, and just reading about complex systems will not allow most people to actually recreate them. This is the main reason why I made my own website, so I could link mappers to tutorials that explain things in simpler terms, and provide maps that you can look at for the actual way to do the system.

While this is all great, it is too much work for someone to do, and is a huge waste of time that could easily be replaced by OS Mapping the maps that use the system you need to learn about. Many systems cannot be learned through just tutorials, like how there is only a handful of maps that have managed to use the 4x speed trick without crashing, those maps were locked, and the only reason why people know that all they did was the same basic trick with a scarab that has had a few flags unchecked is because we could open it with OS Map.

We should stop crying about what we have already lost and look at what we can gain, by blocking out OS Map, we are stopping nobody, and we are helping nobody, but if we allow members to post it, we are able to help people.

Man, do you have any brains at all?

If that's the case, why did I learn a shit load about Hexidecimal Editing right when protection first came out?

Did you know what people used to add wicked "colors", "units", "doodads", ect... before SCM Draft or StarForge?

Hexidecimal Editing. I watched DrunkenWrestler fuck around with that shit TONS of times. I had 20+ maps that he would just make to test shit out.

Hell. He even protected his own maps without SCM Toolkit, or whatever "new" protection utility is out.

He even cracked open protected maps.

Hell, Heimdal even made an unprotector waaaaaaaaaaay before LegacyWeapon did...

So please leave already Falkenor. Whatever happened to "this place sux, you all sux, i'm leaving"?

That's what I thought.

You also have no argument except that you support a Cracking Utility (That was written in a high-end programming language... Some "power" that is)

What knowledge do you gain by CRACKING open maps? What knowledge do you gain by CRACKING one of Tuxedo-Templar's maps, when you could just straight up ask him how he did it and he would tell you (More then likely)

That's the same with most good map makers. They like to share knowledge.

Not steal it through CRACKING.

You have not provided one usefull, or even plausible reason as to why Staredit.net should host and support programs that CRACK maps open, except for your claims that "I can learn anything by cracking a map!"

Alright then, let's ask you a question.

If you wanted to learn C++/C#, would you go and Disassemble a game to learn the code?

More then likely not. Because you will see shit you probibly will never be able to comprehend, such as Inheritance, Polymorphism, and all that good shit, because you CRACK your shit open to "learn".

Grow some brains and learn the REAL, TRUE way, and not some panzy-ass newb technique that CRACKS open maps.

And if LW think's he's the shit for making an unprotector, I just have to lawl at him.

Lawl.

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
While this is all great, it is too much work for someone to do, and is a huge waste of time that could easily be replaced by OS Mapping the maps that use the system you need to learn about. Many systems cannot be learned through just tutorials, like how there is only a handful of maps that have managed to use the 4x speed trick without crashing, those maps were locked, and the only reason why people know that all they did was the same basic trick with a scarab that has had a few flags unchecked is because we could open it with OS Map.

Oh, man, if I just look at that uncommented mess of triggers I'm going to instantly gain a magic understanding of what they do!

Cracking open protected maps to look at them offers little or no advantage above using either open-source maps made by eminent mappers (which, believe it or not, can exist without OSMAP) or reading tutorials.

I actually agree with you for once.... The end of the world is near! *Runs away*

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 28 2007, 3:58 pm by Kellimus.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 4:03 pm AntiSleep Post #363

By the time your skill surpasses readily available tutorials and references, you should be able to figure out any system just by playing the map(once).

None.

Sep 28 2007, 6:19 pm cheeze Post #364

Quote from AntiSleep
By the time your skill surpasses readily available tutorials and references, you should be able to figure out any system just by playing the map(once).
Haha. The best argument yet!

If you use OSMAP (for what it is "intended"), you're stupid! :lol:

None.

Sep 28 2007, 8:55 pm Akar Post #365

Everything I say has a purpose, and is productive. Just cause it talks shit on someone, doesn't mean it isn't productive.
I fail to see how "talking shit" about someone has a purpose, I don't think there is any good that can come of it.

Anyways, I don't have to explain myself to* you, good day.

So basically you're saying that you don't have any explanations or reasons supporting you. Because without proof, your statement stands for nothing.
Oh, and btw, could you please stop proclaiming about how OSMap sucks so much and Hexciedit or whatever it is called is so great. Last I checked this is a conversation about Unprotection vs. Protection. Not OSMap vs. other unprotection programs.
I have yet to see you live up to that statement.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 9:41 pm Cole Post #366

Some people here need to stop being closed minded.

I wouldn't go so far as saying you're gonna learn to much from unprotection that you couldn't learn from tutorials and tutorial-maps(maps made to show how something is done).

The one thing that protection hinders is really great maps that have a few flaws, or could be improved upon.

The one thing that unprotection hinders is possible removement of credit, and possible spreading of once-good shitty/rigged maps.

Unprotection is a great thing when used right. Stop fighting about "protection vs unprotection", and start looking for a common solution. Especially those who support protection. Unprotection is already out there, and protection can always be undone. Unprotection wont just go away because well, it's the internet. So people who support protection should be looking for some way to limit unprotection but still satsify the wants of unprotection supporters. Unprotection supporters don't want a bunch of rigged maps spreading either.

Find a system or program that satisfies it all, or deal with the fact that unprotection is around and aint going away.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 11:05 pm Demented Shaman Post #367

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
You're such an ass, fighting so hard to keep the argument going, dev :P
No, read my previous posts. I basically say you're all noobs and should stop discussing this.

Yea, that's what the real mappers do. They talk and discuss and actually make maps.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 11:36 pm AntiSleep Post #368

I have a better idea, make protectors/OSMAP available, and ban anyone that steals/rigs maps.

None.

Sep 28 2007, 11:43 pm Demented Shaman Post #369

Quote from AntiSleep
I have a better idea, make protectors/OSMAP available, and ban anyone that steals/rigs maps.
That was my idea.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 1:23 am Akar Post #370

I agree. Only pro mappers should even be allowed to use OSMap in my opinion, so they can approve upon them.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:14 am ClansAreForGays Post #371

wow just got back from reading the shit @ warboards on protection. Jesus, their level of insanity is maddening!

Sep 29 2007, 2:30 am Akar Post #372

Warboards is very clean, you won't find anything that might disrupt the peace. People like Kellimus wouldn't survive long there. Hell, I don't know how proto survives.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:34 am TitanWing Post #373

Quote from ClansAreForGays
wow just got back from reading the shit @ warboards on protection. Jesus, their level of insanity is maddening!
The oxymoron that is your name is maddening! Zomg!

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:45 am Kenoli Post #374

If only we had thought of this years ago!

Oh wait...

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:51 am TitanWing Post #375

Banning them from SEN does very little to stop the problem, mind you.

Zomg no SEN!?! I willz diez! *rolls eyes*

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:52 am Demented Shaman Post #376

Quote from TitanWing

Then there's no point in even having a pro-protection policy in the first place.

Not hosting OSMAP does just as little. Hosting it would hardly contribute to the problem and not hosting it would do very little to stop it.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:54 am TitanWing Post #377

Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing

Then there's no point in even having a pro-protection policy in the first place.

Not hosting OSMAP does just as little. Hosting it would hardly contribute to the problem and not hosting it would do very little to stop it.
No, but it's a damn fine start.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:54 am Demented Shaman Post #378

Quote from TitanWing
Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing

A better start would be to have these people actually make maps so protection could actually be used. :-_-:

Protection or unprotection still doesn't do shit, everyone still either doesn't make maps or sucks at making them. So this argument continues to be completely useless.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:57 am TitanWing Post #379

Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing
Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing

A better start would be to have these people actually make maps so protection could actually be used. :-_-:

Protection or unprotection still doesn't do shit, everyone still either doesn't make maps or sucks at making them. So this argument continues to be completely useless.
Why do you keep it going, then?

None.

Sep 29 2007, 2:59 am Demented Shaman Post #380

Quote from TitanWing
Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing
Quote from devilesk
Quote from TitanWing

Why do you keep it going, then?
I haven't been bringing up new points. I'm just responding to posts other people have posted. If I stop posting I guarantee this topic will continue.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 17 18 19 20 >
  Back to forum