Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Sep 19 2007, 5:46 pm
By: mikelat
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20

Sep 29 2007, 3:03 am TitanWing Post #381

The topic might, but the debate won't. You're the only one here bringing any intelligent points for OSMAP.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 3:04 am Demented Shaman Post #382

Quote from TitanWing
The topic might, but the debate won't. You're the only one here bringing any intelligent points for OSMAP.
What are my points for OSMAP?

None.

Sep 30 2007, 9:50 am AntiSleep Post #383

To summarize everyone sensible:

OSMAP is good for fixing corruption in general, not just corruption caused by protectors. I do not have a problem with someone opening my map to learn, but it is true they would get further faster by just asking. There are also abandonware maps which were protected, but which crash in the current patch. I see nothing bad about someone unprotecting the map in order to fix the crash glitch. I also see no reason to censor software that has legitimate uses. The people that would abuse OSMAP are not the people that benefit us by being here.

Suppose someone gains access to OSMAP through this site, and uses it to rig a map. Person gets banned.
OR Same person does not gain access to OSMAP, but persists in the community, people invest time and effort helping this person create a map, which he or she releases in a rigged state.

I prefer the former option, if I cannot trust someone with the power to steal credit or rig the map of another, why would I trust them with my time and effort?

None.

Sep 30 2007, 1:09 pm Akar Post #384

Well, it is their own map that they are rigging. They would be looked down upon in the community. And generally they wouldn't rig their own map... they rig the map because they are too lazy to make themselves one.

None.

Oct 3 2007, 5:56 am Ei47 Post #385

Meh... It'd be nice if someone developed a protect system to let people open and read your maps, but not edit them. I Pro-protection, and if someone wants to edit your map, they should contact you, and assure you they're not gonna be a noob with it. >.< Like using a normal editor and changing nothing but the name of the creator, and in using normal editor they delete stacked units, units over the supply limit, and unit belonging to different races, and spreading that ruined version 24/7.

None.

Oct 3 2007, 2:09 pm The Starport Post #386

Quote from Ei47
Meh... It'd be nice if someone developed a protect system to let people open and read your maps, but not edit them. I Pro-protection, and if someone wants to edit your map, they should contact you, and assure you they're not gonna be a noob with it. >.< Like using a normal editor and changing nothing but the name of the creator, and in using normal editor they delete stacked units, units over the supply limit, and unit belonging to different races, and spreading that ruined version 24/7.
That compromise was tried before I believe. Even if OSMAP didn't shoot it in the arse anyway, it wasn't actually too helpful (for a number of reasons I don't want to regurgitate now).

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 18 19 20
  Back to forum