Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: The Puzzle Topic
The Puzzle Topic
Nov 17 2008, 1:04 pm
By: Devourer
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 618 >

Nov 19 2008, 12:14 am MadZombie Post #61

They all leave on the same night the guru says the blue eyed thing. rite? plz D:

None.

Nov 19 2008, 12:15 am Symmetry Post #62

Dungeon Master

No.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Nov 19 2008, 12:15 am Vi3t-X Post #63

Based on my logic:

Blue Eyes: 99 or 100
Brown Eyes: 100 or 101

Where N = Brown Eyes, its just a symetrical pattern.

Blue eyes = (n + 1)

200 Brown Eyed Person.

-- Shutup, I'm a kid :bleh:

Clarification.

Blue (n) always looks at Brown (n+1).

Blue 1 always looks at Brown 2.
Brown 1 looked at Green.

And from here...

None.

Nov 19 2008, 12:25 am payne Post #64

:payne:

By "she stands before", you mean that she is facing them or their back? :O

None.

Nov 19 2008, 1:13 am Symmetry Post #65

Dungeon Master

Quote from Vi3t-X
Based on my logic:

Blue Eyes: 99 or 100
Brown Eyes: 100 or 101

Where N = Brown Eyes, its just a symetrical pattern.

Blue eyes = (n + 1)

200 Brown Eyed Person.

-- Shutup, I'm a kid :bleh:

Clarification.

Blue (n) always looks at Brown (n+1).

Blue 1 always looks at Brown 2.
Brown 1 looked at Green.

And from here...

...what? I don't think you're reading the puzzle correctly.

Quote from payne
By "she stands before", you mean that she is facing them or their back? :O

...what?

Nov 19 2008, 1:16 am MadZombie Post #66

this seems kinda familiar , its all in what the guru says. i just can't tie it to anything.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 1:19 am Symmetry Post #67

Dungeon Master

There is no trick to it, or whatever. You're going to have to use logic to solve it.

Nov 19 2008, 1:46 am chuiu Post #68

Quote from Devourer
What does have the Poor people and requires the happy people? *
What is bigger than God and more evil than the Devil?
And if you eat it for a while you'll die.
Way to butcher the riddle. If anyone was confused by this its because it goes like this:

What do the poor have and the rich want?
What is bigger than god and more evil than the devil?
And if you eat it you will die

None.

Nov 19 2008, 1:46 am MillenniumArmy Post #69

I'm gonna take a wild guess...

The 100th day?

Here's how I came about it.

Let's change the situation here a bit. Assume that there is only one person with blue eyes (it doesn't matter how many brown eyed people or whatever color people there are at the moment). The guru says that she sees someone with blue eyes. Everyone but the one blue eyed person will see that there's one person with blue eyes. The blue eyed person will be like "Ok nobody I see has blue eyes, but the guru says she sees someone with blue eyes. Therefore it must be me." And so this guy leaves that day.

But if there was two people with blue eyes. Everyone but the two blue eyed people will see two blue eyed people. The two blue eyed people will only see one (because they can't see themselves). Noone leaves because noone is sure what they have. On the second day, the two blue eye people notice that the other blue eyed person that they can see has not left. They can infer that the other blue eyed person was able to see one person with blue eyes but wasn't sure what he had. From this conclusion, the two blue eyed people realize that they are the two blue eyed people and so leave on the second day.

With three blue eyed people it will take the blue eyed people three days to realize that they all have blue eyes (because if u were one of the blue eyed people, you'd only see two people with blue eyes. But if those two blue eyed people you see were the only people with blue eyes, meaning that they each only see one other person with a blue eye, they would have left on that second day.) Then using this logic, it'll simply be that all 100 blue eyed people will leave on the 100th day. Or something like that...

I could be wrong... >.< I just remember doing something similar to this before

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:33 am Greo Post #70

A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?

Only the BLUES leave, and on night 100. We can simplify this problem to this equation:
There's 2 blues, 2 browns, and 1 green (The Guru), and they follow the aforementioned rules.

[Day 1]
I see a blue, two browns, and a green. Since I myself am unsure of my eye color, I cannot leave. I must wait to see if the other of the blues leave.
I see two blues, a brown, and a green. Since I myself am unsure of my eye color, I cannot leave. I must wait to see if the other of the blues leave.
I see two blues, and two browns.

[Day 2]
I see a blue, two browns, and a green. Since he is probably unsure of his eye color (as he sees another blue), then I must be the other blue eyed since I cannot see anyone else with blue eyes. Therefore, I leave tonight (as does he!)
I see two blues, a brown, and a green. Since there are two blues left, they must still be unsure of their eye color, as if they were the only two blue eyes on the island, they will leave tonight or tomorrow.
I see two blues, and two browns. Since there are two blues left, they must still be unsure of their eye color, as if they were the only two blue eyes on the island, they will leave tonight or tomorrow.

[Day 3]
I see a brown and a green. If I were with blue eyes, then the blue eyes would have left tonight instead of last night. This means that I have an eye color different from blue, but because of this, I cannot tell what my eye color is, since I do not know if there is at least one brown eye, one green eye, or at least one of my own eye color. I will never leave this island!
I see two browns. If I were with blue eyes, then the blue eyes would have left tonight instead of last night. This means that I have an eye color different from blue, but because of this, I cannot tell what my eye color is, since I do not know if there is at least one brown eye, one green eye, or at least one of my own eye color. I will never leave this island!

We can simplify this down further:
There's at least X blues. Therefore, I will know by day X+1 whether I myself am blue or not. If they all leave on day X, I am not blue. However, if they do not leave on night X, I am blue.

What do the poor have and the rich want?
What is bigger than god and more evil than the devil?
And if you eat it you will die
The poor have nothing, the rich want nothing (as they already have everything)
Nothing is greater than god or more evil than the devil.
If you eat nothing, you will die from starvation.

And now, here's my riddle:
There's four lightbulbs in a row inside of a closed room, corresponding to a row of 4 switches outside of the room labeled A, B, C, and D respectively. The catch is that you may only enter the room once, afterwards you may not enter again. You may not see into the room unless you are in it. How can you tell which lightbulb corresponds to which switch?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 19 2008, 2:52 am by Greo.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:47 am Kaias Post #71

Can you explain that better? Are the switches in the room? You can't see into the room when you go in it, what?

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:51 am Greo Post #72

The switches are outside of the room. You cannot see inside the room unless you enter the room. You may only enter the room once.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:56 am Pigy_G Post #73

The guru leaves the island on the first night :P

None.

Nov 19 2008, 4:02 am NudeRaider Post #74

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

Okay maybe I'm stupid but can someone explain to my why the guru and his "i see blue" speech adds information?
EVERYONE sees someone with blue eyes. As far as I can tell this is just to throw us off.

Nov 19 2008, 4:12 am Greo Post #75

Quote from name:

Okay maybe I'm stupid but can someone explain to my why the guru and his "i see blue" speech adds information?
EVERYONE sees someone with blue eyes. As far as I can tell this is just to throw us off.
No, it's not to throw us off. If the Guru never said this, it would be impossible for anyone to get off of the island.

Since there is at least one person on the island with blue eyes, then a person can say "If I don't see anyone else with blue eyes, I must have blue eyes." Otherwise, he says "Since there's a person with blue eyes, he may either leave tonight or tomarrow, depending on if there is another person with blue eyes."

If there's another person with blue eyes on the island, each blue eyed person can therefore say that there are at least TWO people with blue eyes on this island. If these two are the only ones on the island with blue eyes, they will leave the following night.

We continue this until it reaches 100 blue eyed people. Each brown (and green) eyed person can safely assume that there are at least 100 blue eyed people on this island, and if there are no more, they'll leave the island on the 100th night.

Now, the thing is that since the Guru had only said there was at least one person with blue eyes, the brown eyed (and the Guru himself!) would be unable to leave because they would not be sure that there was at least one brown eyed person (or at least 1 green eyed, in the Guru's case.)

None.

Nov 19 2008, 4:14 am MillenniumArmy Post #76

There's four lightbulbs in a row inside of a closed room, corresponding to a row of 4 switches outside of the room labeled A, B, C, and D respectively. The catch is that you may only enter the room once, afterwards you may not enter again. You may not see into the room unless you are in it. How can you tell which lightbulb corresponds to which switch?
Turn switches A and B on. Wait 5 minutes or something. Turn B off and turn C on. Immediately after you turn C on go to the room. Place your hand next to each light bulb.
- The warmest lit light bulb belongs to switch A since it's been on for 5 minutes
- The warmest unlit light bulb belongs to switch B since it was on for 5 minutes but was just turned off
- The coolest lit light bulb belongs to switch C since it was turned on immediately before entering the room. It has to be done really quick though.
- The coolest unlit light bulb belongs to switch D since it was never turned on, thus no heat was ever generated from it.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 4:18 am Greo Post #77

Quote from name:
Turn switches A and B on. Wait 5 minutes or something. Turn B off and turn C on. Immediately after you turn C on go to the room. Place your hand next to each light bulb.
- The warmest lit light bulb belongs to switch A since it's been on for 5 minutes
- The warmest unlit light bulb belongs to switch B since it was on for 5 minutes but was just turned off
- The coolest lit light bulb belongs to switch C since it was turned on immediately before entering the room. It has to be done really quick though.
- The coolest unlit light bulb belongs to switch D since it was never turned on, thus no heat was ever generated from it.
Correct, sir.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 4:19 am NudeRaider Post #78

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I turn switch A on and off about a million times (or as long as it takes until i surely destroyed the lightbulb)
I turn switch B on and wait 5 minutes until i switch it off
I turn switch C on
and then I go into the room
The lighted bulb is C
The warm bulb is B
and then I check the filament of the 2 last bulbs. The broken one is A the remaining one is D.

Awww damn i was too slow :(
Well I wouldn't have had a riddle anyway :bleh:

Nov 19 2008, 5:41 am MillenniumArmy Post #79

There is only one known non-palindromic number whose cube is palindromic. What is that number?

Hint: it is a four digit number.

EDIT: Shit, i realized the answer is googleable. Don't google it :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 19 2008, 5:51 am by MillenniumArmy.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 1:52 pm NudeRaider Post #80

EDIT: omg... read wrong.

Okay here's the list of numbers you requested:
Code
26 ^2 = 676
264 ^2 = 69696
307 ^2 = 94249
836 ^2 = 698896
2285 ^2 = 5221225
2636 ^2 = 6948496
22865 ^2 = 522808225
24846 ^2 = 617323716
30693 ^2 = 942060249

Oh wait... you said only 1 number is known? Well I guess by solving it I made the riddle itself invalid. Does it still count as solved? :bleh:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 19 2008, 5:47 pm by NudeRaider.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 618 >
  Back to forum