Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Aug 10 2008, 7:36 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 716 >

Aug 30 2008, 10:31 pm Kaias Post #81

Quote from Madroc
INTERESTING idea.... It would actually be a little harder but no zergling would show up.

The only problem I can think of is that the scv would stop repairing it.

With that in mind the other system would be better.
If you're worried about not being able to tell which the SCV is repairing then wouldn't you be worried about the zergling attacking the wrong building?

None.

Aug 31 2008, 12:40 am Biophysicist Post #82

Nope. For one thing, it wouldn't really matter unless the person built an armor building right next to another building. Secondly, we are invulnerabling the other buildings for just that reason.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 6:55 pm Madroc Post #83

I have come unto a problem:

I want there to be 3 separate sort of "bases" to fight against - Terran, Protoss, and lastly Zerg (and then maybe a few "outposts" mixed in) but the problem is that Terran only has one flying unit left - the battlecruiser and I'd rather save the battlecruiser for a boss. And Protoss only has 1 left as well, the scout. Zerg has two left - mutalisk and guardian.

Now, how is the Corsair/Valkyrie going to get any experience for the terran portion??

I have several options to fix this:
1. Take OUT the corsair/valkyrie ship ( :( )
2. Make "Animals" (mutalisks and guardians and maybe scouts) junk yard dog ALL OVER the map
3. Make Kakarus all over the map that the corsair has to kill (THIS IS A SUCKY IDEA)
4. Modify the hero option for the characters (Right now what it does is increase damage, increase moving speed, increase attack speed (on some), change name, and change the little picture thing (on some)). I like this option a lot because that way we could have ALL SORTS of enemies instead of just the ground ones. I do like it that like, for instance, the battlecruiser hero attacks faster tho.....

I hate compromising but it must be done. What do you guys think?

None.

Sep 1 2008, 7:15 pm Biophysicist Post #84

Ideas of mine:

Flying Terran buildings are valid targets for Valkyrie and Corsair attacks, as is a Lifted Off Infested Command Center. Not sure if that helps though, it probably doesn't.

Maybe land re-enforcements come in via Dropship/Shuttle? (This would mean we need to find an alternate Lightspeed control system, tho.)

We could put in a few Observers, which makes anti-air attacks and Detection more important if one of the people has a Wraith. This might be a problem if no one has selected Science Vessel or Overlord. (Maybe the Wraith skill/feat [whichever one isn't Cloaking] could be a Scanner Sweep?)

Make the Valk's feat/skill (whichever one isn't Disruption Web) an anti-ground.

Not sure if this is possible, but instead of Valkyrie>Corsair, how about Raszgal>Corsair?

I don't understand #4, can you explain it?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 1 2008, 7:25 pm by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 7:29 pm Madroc Post #85

Yeah I thought about lifted off stuff but it'd be kind of weird to have a bunch of random lifted off buildings... (unless there is a way to make the computer lift off buildings when they are attacked?)

The dropship thing could work pretty well but it does not warrant a corsair.

I don't like the observer idea because it would confuse the wraith player and he'd be much more scared to use the cloak ability to scout and stuff.

I'd like to make all of the skills for every character be one of the more expensive buildings to build, thus you would probably wait until later in the game to get it.

I've never used Raszgal before (can he be created by triggers? do all triggers affect him? I don't really know what other issues there could be but I'm guessing it could work) That would be a lot better to use Raszgal than valkyrie imo if there are no problems. I didn't think about that. However the valkyrie still could not be an enemy because you have no air units, just the vHP which is a ground unit (yeah so goliaths will look like they are attacking ground... :( that's ok tho)

As for #4, right now we have the characters turning into a hero if you have this certain building, but if we make it so you don't ACTUALLY turn into a hero, you just have something modified (I don't know what) so that the heroes can be used as enemies. There are 3 scouts (2 heroes) so there is 1 extra to be used for enemies.

Edit Also I forgot to say that the Corsair WILL have ground attacks - the bomb can hit ground, the turret can hit ground, and the special can hit ground. However its MAIN attack is air only so we must have a good amount of air in order to have the corsair as a character.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 7:48 pm Biophysicist Post #86

Then I would recommend the "fake heroes" idea (vHeros! Yayz!). Set it so that there is only a 50% chance of the buildings getting damaged if the player has the Hero building, or replace the vHP unit with one with more HP. (This emulates the hero getting more HP.) Also let them research upgrades and such. (Eg. increased energy bar for caster heroes, increased move speed for non-casters - this might require some building reshuffling) The Greater Spire has different effects for the Guardian, like we planned.

Oh, are you using virtual energy?

None.

Sep 1 2008, 8:04 pm Madroc Post #87

:lol: @ vHeroes :P
Well the problem with the 50% chance that they would hurt you thing is that it is pretty much the same concept as upgrading your armor at the Engineering Bay or whatever.
I do like the idea of having a stronger vHP unit a lot tho. That could definitely work and would be a satisfactory "hero" version. Can we think of another variable that could be increased along with stronger vHP?
so...
Terran - Duran Duran -> Kerrigan
Zerg - Infested Duran Duran - Infested Kerrigan
Protoss - Hero Dark Templar - Zeratul

Sweetness.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 8:21 pm Biophysicist Post #88

Okay. I liek that. (But why are you calling him Duran Duran?)

As for another variable, use the Upgrade building (Armory, Forge, Spire) as the Hero building, and set the cost/time for upgrades to 0. (Set the ship's Boost stat to be equal to its attack stat, and the maximum upgrade level to 1: Then if the player upgrades their attack, it doubles.) This will require some building reshuffling, especially for the Zerg. (Science Vessel instead could get a longer energy bar, and the Overlord's spawned units could be turned into heroes.)

None.

Sep 1 2008, 8:28 pm Madroc Post #89

The problem with that idea is that if the Hero building dies then the upgrades stay, which was not my original intent for the Hero building. But yeah that would work for the sci vess and the overlord tho. I especially like the overlord hero idea!

Also I forgot to answer your question whether I'm using vEnergy or not.. I decided that that would be sort of impossible - how would you detect when you cast irradiate or yamato for instance? No... I am using vvEnergy. :D Check first post for how it works.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 8:34 pm Biophysicist Post #90

Ah, I forgot about that. *facepalm*

Maybe give Hero units more minerals/XP/whatever per kill? Although I think higher HP vvHP units would be enough. (Or maybe we could give spellcasting heroes a choice between more vvHP or more energy?

And what do you bet that in a few months someone's going to post a thread "I know what vHP is, but what's vvHP?"

None.

Sep 1 2008, 9:06 pm Madroc Post #91

Lol dude! :lol: that would be so great!

Ooh I like the idea of more EXP per kill. I think it'd be kind of lame if we ONLY did upgraded vHP because we already sort of have an upgrade for vHP (engineering bay etc.).

I'm concerned with what we'll call this building - we could call it "Upped vHP & +5% Exp" or something like "Upgrade Building" which I don't think would be that great because they would have no idea that they would be getting the 5% exp bonus and they would be confused why their vHP unit is a kerrigan now. That was the beauty of the old Hero upgrade because it showed that you turned into the hero. What do you think?

None.

Sep 1 2008, 9:42 pm Biophysicist Post #92

Just say "HP Boost and Extra XP per Kill". It won't be that big of a deal, and you can just tell them with a trigger if you're worried too much.

Besides, the other option is to take out the Valkyrie and Corsair.

Oh, and I don't think you can trigger-create Raszgal. That's why I said "Raszgal>Corsair" instead of "Corsair>Raszgal". But if we do vHeroes, we wouldn't need to use her anyway.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 9:50 pm Madroc Post #93

OK, yeah I can see that working.

This is a good compromise. Soon I'll do a huge edit to the first post.

So we just invented vvHP, vHeroes, vvEnergy... :bleh:

None.

Sep 1 2008, 10:45 pm BiOAtK Post #94

so much virtual-ness!

None.

Sep 1 2008, 11:57 pm Biophysicist Post #95

Wait, vvEnergy? I fail to see how, it's just vEnergy, isn't it? (I'm asking because I'm afraid I might have gotten confused by something.)

None.

Sep 2 2008, 1:24 am Madroc Post #96

Yes, and so much virtual-virtual-ness too!!

Well, vEnergy would be keeping track of how much energy you have with a death count that increases at the same rate as the energy, right? (or am I wrong???) so this is vvEnergy:

Barracks - Enable Signiture Feat (The terran feats are Yamato Cannon (one shot kill in most situations, but costs 250 energy), cloaking (costs 235 energy to cast and drains 1 energy every game second), and defensive matrix + EMP shockwave (Each cost 125)). For each barracks you have, a burrowed defiler is created for you in a remote part of the map every 2 seconds, thus increasing your supply by 2. The more Barracks you have the faster it will go up, so if you have 2 barracks your supply goes up 4 every 2 seconds. There is a cap off for how many defilers you can have at 125, thus making your zerg supply be in the red at 250. Then you can create a medic for 0 minerals. If you have less than 50 supplies, you get an error message and the medic dies. If you have more than 50 supplies, your energy is restored to full except for the wraith whos energy is restored to 50 and the medic dies and 25 defilers die, thus those 50 supplies vanish.

None.

Sep 2 2008, 6:38 pm Biophysicist Post #97

Yes, actually, it is. I now understand your casting system. (Yayz!)

What's next? vMinerals?

None.

Sep 3 2008, 12:43 am Madroc Post #98

Well actually yeah we are using vMinerals (remembering the amount of minerals in a death count) because of the detection of mineral loss! :omfg:

Just so everyone knows, when Tazz is done with the overlord I'll do a massive re-do of the first post (almost done tazz? pm me).

None.

Sep 3 2008, 7:30 pm Biophysicist Post #99

Finished the Overlord, and out of boredom did a Valkyrie as well.

I don't think that would be vMinerals though... vMinerals would be using a DC to control when stuff can be built/researched... But this is getting off topic somewhat...

None.

Sep 3 2008, 7:39 pm Impeached Post #100

Could you guys put a progress bar up, too (best thing for progress bars, btw, is to estimate low.).

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 716 >
  Back to forum