Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Something that's been STRESSING me out lately
Something that's been STRESSING me out lately
Jul 1 2008, 5:30 pm
By: grAffe  

Jul 2 2008, 3:50 am close.ads Post #21

Play moar StarCraft, and you'll forget your troubles!

None.

Jul 3 2008, 2:44 am pneumatic Post #22

I've had this sort of problem a LOT, with a number of different things and situations.

What I've found with problems like these is that the subconscious heals itself and eventually the problem fades. Your conscious mind eventually wears itself out and that's when the subconscious kicks in and does its job. Sort of like if you try to kill yourself by not breathing -- usually the worst you can do is just pass out, at which point your body automatically begins breathing again.

Often, though, there's an underlying problem that is motivating the habit, and to get rid of the habit you need to dig and figure out what the root is. Sometimes the subconscious takes care of the root on its own, sometimes not. But as long as the root's there, willpower won't matter.

You can dig at the root if you want.

You can also just wait it out. If you wait, the problem will go away eventually and if there's a root, it'll manifest itself some other way.

None.

Jul 3 2008, 7:22 am Paravin. Post #23

Quote from lil-Inferno
It reminded me of The Game. . . I don't really have advice for you. Just try forgetting :O .

Gee thanks.

None.

Jul 3 2008, 12:38 pm Clokr_ Post #24

Maybe it'd work better if you forget about forgetting. I bet it's your constant thinking of "I got a problem to fix" what creates the problem itself.
If you cannot get it fixed by yourself I'd suggest going to a psychiatrist.

?????

Jul 3 2008, 12:59 pm Ultraviolet Post #25

Quote from Clokr_
Maybe it'd work better if you forget about forgetting. I bet it's your constant thinking of "I got a problem to fix" what creates the problem itself.
If you cannot get it fixed by yourself I'd suggest going to a psychiatrist.

That's why I suggested he just go every time he felt like it. Then he wouldn't be worried about forgetting it.

Jul 4 2008, 12:11 am pneumatic Post #26

It'll go away eventually.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 12:53 am grAffe Post #27

omg guys that is such a relief. I thought i was going to be stuck with this forever :)
Today was a little better. I was able to hold it for 2 to 2.5 hours and my self-confidence has gone up just a bit.

I think the problem is that once I forget for a moment and REremember it, I'm like "fuck i remembered again" and the stress builds upon itself AGAIN. You know, like you don't realize the thought was gone at all until you actually remember it again.

None.

Jul 9 2008, 11:41 pm close.ads Post #28

Not sure what's your case there--but I've got that experience a lot since I have some problems with my mental state. Here's my advice:

MAKE IT FUNNY. MAKE IT LONG.

Whatever kept repeating in your brain, add bits that makes it sound completely retarded/genius/whatever makes you laugh.

For your example, "If you think of the number 10 five times, the demon will kill you", alter it bits by bits in different stages:

Stage 1) "If you think of the number 10 five million times, the demon will kill you"
Stage 2) "If you think of the number 10 five million times, the demon will kill you on 4 chan"

etc., and keep extending it until it gets so funny you can't care about it, or it gets so long that you don't even know what's going on(which the later is how I usually get it solved--laughing it off doesn't really work for me. I simply overload and crush my self-conscious in an instant--sort of like banging your head on the wall when your head aches, and after I pass out I'll be fine when I wake again)

None.

Options
  Back to forum