Monopoly
May 12 2008, 9:57 pm
By: fritfrat
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 67 >

May 6 2009, 2:23 am killer_sss Post #61

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
Quote from killer_sss
Each time a player's token lands on or passes over GO, whether by throwing the dice or drawing a card, the Banker pays that player a $200 salary.

from the official rule book. and yes landing on go and recieving more cash is a house rule. Sometimes i play with $400 for landing on and the free parking but as frat has said its only gona make the game last longer. I usually only use this rule when playing with 2 people as it can allow for some pretty amazing battles.

How does getting hotels FASTER make the game any longer? I would actually look FORWARD to the ability to play the custom rules such as Land on Go = 400$, land on free parking = 500$ or land on free parking = 500$ + Money colected from Luxary Tax and Income Tax. Cant be THAT hard...

normal games take 4-8hours depending on the skill of you opponents games with the bonus money make the game go on forever because its like none of it ever leaves the table your pretty much just trading back and forth depending on dice rolls. I've had a custom game go on for 2weeks and finally me and my cous called it a draw. We had almost 15k each when the game finaly ended.

None.

May 6 2009, 4:24 am fritfrat Post #62

I would say that games of this map usually only take about an hour due to everything being automated, whereas on the board game it usually takes 1:30 if you play by the written rules. So no, it wouldn't be hard to add stuff like that, but you're just looking forward to it because you've never played it the better way :) Norm's monopoly map has omitted many rules and added house rules such as free parking if that's what you're looking for, but I've made my goal clear as to make a professional exact replica.

In other news, I started adding messages to everything, which is unequivocally boring, tedious, and not fun in every way. Kind of has to be done, though, and I'm obviously very motivated to finish. My last final exam is Thursday, and I hope to finish in the week following that, since I am going on vacation afterward.

None.

May 6 2009, 4:53 am Riney Post #63

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from killer_sss
Each time a player's token lands on or passes over GO, whether by throwing the dice or drawing a card, the Banker pays that player a $200 salary.

from the official rule book. and yes landing on go and recieving more cash is a house rule. Sometimes i play with $400 for landing on and the free parking but as frat has said its only gona make the game last longer. I usually only use this rule when playing with 2 people as it can allow for some pretty amazing battles.

How does getting hotels FASTER make the game any longer? I would actually look FORWARD to the ability to play the custom rules such as Land on Go = 400$, land on free parking = 500$ or land on free parking = 500$ + Money colected from Luxary Tax and Income Tax. Cant be THAT hard...

normal games take 4-8hours depending on the skill of you opponents games with the bonus money make the game go on forever because its like none of it ever leaves the table your pretty much just trading back and forth depending on dice rolls. I've had a custom game go on for 2weeks and finally me and my cous called it a draw. We had almost 15k each when the game finaly ended.

Explain why I just played a 48 minute game with my said rules on Pogo (A Game site where it is too automated)?

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

May 6 2009, 7:09 am killer_sss Post #64

Explain why I just played a 48 minute game with my said rules on Pogo (A Game site where it is too automated)?

easy as you must have missed i said normal games take about that long. I've had some realitively fast games as well. If you get lucky you can slaughter you opponents. Also you have to be playing players of the same skill as well or it could end much faster too.

None.

May 6 2009, 7:51 am Decency Post #65

In case you somehow actually failed to realize it, a good part of the game is luck. You can get a monopoly with all 3 oranges on your second turn, for example, and the the game is over.

Or you can just rip off a newbie that doesn't understand the game well.

My friends and I can usually play a 4-5 player board game of Monopoly to completion in 45 minutes to an hour, it's really not that difficult if you understand the game.

None.

May 6 2009, 3:10 pm fritfrat Post #66

I love it when people use specific examples to refute estimated averages. I've played a 25 minute game of monopoly before using an actual board, so my way's still shorter! That's how to do non-scientific and inconclusive comparisons, from what I've heard.

I've done the research, the math has been done, and it HAS been shown to lengthen the game (on average). The makers of monopoly knew this and that's why they made the rules the way the did, since the game underwent an extreme amount of fine-tuning before its ultimate growth in popularity. The game I believe is extremely well made when played by the rules (despite the hate it often gets), and I'm definitely excited to finish a replica of it, since I believe it truly is the best way to play.

None.

May 6 2009, 8:02 pm Demented Shaman Post #67

Quote from fritfrat
I love it when people use specific examples to refute estimated averages. I've played a 25 minute game of monopoly before using an actual board, so my way's still shorter! That's how to do non-scientific and inconclusive comparisons, from what I've heard.
Yea noobs, take a freaking stat class. :rolleyes:

I had my ap stat test yesterday btw, and I took the ap calc test today.

None.

May 9 2009, 1:04 pm DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Woot! Glad to see this is almost done. I'm excited to see the final product!

I don't know if you're changing it at all, but my original "ROLL, END TURN, PURCHASE, etc." text display on the main control "console" was basically just filler, and should probably be spruced up a bit. Same goes for the initial "M O N O P O L Y" text. These are both cosmetic, so I figured any changes you had on this crap would be saved for the end, anyway.

EDIT:
Some minor notes:
1. I landed on Chance/Comm Chest 4 times and all 4 times I got the same card (You have been assessed for street repairs). Is that just coincedence, or are the cards not changing on properly?
1a. As I side note, there was a typo. "Repairs" was spelled "reapirs."
2. Another cosmetic thing: the unit names representing the properties should have the same color as the displayed text message when said property is purchased. Again, I'm not sure if you're working on this yet, but that's just a minor thing that should be done.

And if you need any help with the cosmetic stuff, I'd be glad to help out, too.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 9 2009, 1:14 pm by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 9 2009, 7:58 pm fritfrat Post #69

DevliN, what do you think about finishing off the cosmetics yourself? I was never very good at it and certainly don't enjoy doing it. You'll be able to have both the thrill of starting the map and polishing it off at the end :)

And to people wondering where I disappeared to, I just finished my finals week and moving out all my friends, so I have time to work on it again.

EDIT: There was a bug in the community chance general repairs trigger that didn't put it on the bottom of the deck. Took me a while to find due to other possible sources of error, meh, but it's fixed :)
The community chest/chance cards are actually in a deck, and the cards cycle through them just like in a real game; so, if you see a card when playing, you won't see it for another 15/16 cards, based on whether or not the get out of jail free card is being held.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 9 2009, 8:23 pm by fritfrat.

None.

May 9 2009, 8:35 pm DevliN Post #70

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That's what I figured.

If you give me some sort of list of what cosmetic stuff you wanna see done, I can get on that. At the moment I'm just making note of unit names and various color changes that should occur.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 10 2009, 1:27 am fritfrat Post #71

New version to download! Made it so you can't trade properties with houses on them (never thought about that for some reason), did a couple small bugfixes, and a few of the cosmetic aspects were added to the map.
DevliN, I think the best plan will be for me to do some of the ones I know for sure I want implemented or are relatively involved, since it will take me less time due to my familiarity with the triggers. After that, I will PM you the map.

Keep testing / having fun playing monopoly, write down all bugs you see, and tell me! Thank you all for your support, and cosmetic suggestions are always welcome! Be sure to see the list on the front page, as well, if you have any especially good ideas of how to implement those.

EDIT: Attachment removed.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 10 2009, 10:10 pm by fritfrat.

None.

May 10 2009, 4:54 am DevliN Post #72

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Sounds like a solid plan. I'll keep taking my notes and such.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 10 2009, 4:02 pm killer_sss Post #73

hey frit frat um i'm curious about your deck system can you tell me a bit more about how your constructing it? I'm making a Risk board game myself and atm the only way i've thought of is to make it out of units and shuffle when completely gone through.

Problems are this means each deck will be visable on the map provided one had mh and i'm gona need more than 1 deck (because i'm making a new version of risk) and it will take up a bunch of space on my map.

Any suggestions or help anyway would be great. Either way was kinda looking to see how you did yours. thnx

None.

May 10 2009, 10:10 pm fritfrat Post #74

As listed on the front page, each card was numbered 1-16. To represent each of the cards is 1-16 burrowed hydralisks, player 8 for chance and player 9 for community chest. I made 17 locations (Card1-16, CardT for temp) in a line along some null terrain.
To start, 4 switches are randomized non-stop. All 16 possibilities have a "create 1-16 burrowed hydralisks" at CardT. Then, there are 16 triggers saying that if card16 has 0 and card T has at least 1, move to card 16. Next is card15 has 0 and cardT has 1, but due to trigger order, this will never fire unless card16 is filled. This continues until card1 is full (it only takes a few seconds usually to hit all 16 possibilities), for which the hydralisks being made are for player 9 instead of player 8 (after a give, of course, since you can't make for player 9).
Ok, they're all lined up. When you land on any of the chance squares, it sets death of some unit equal to 1. If death of some unit = 1 and player 8 brings exactly 3 hydralisks to Card16, move card 16 to cardT, and enact effects of chance card #3.
This is where it gets tricky. If it is a get out of jail free card (1 hydralisk), remove the hydralisk from the game. Add the hydralisk back when the card is used up.
Now, you need a couple more triggers to shift the next burrowed units into place. If card16 brings 0 men and card1 brings 0 men, move 15 to 16, 14 to 15, ...2 to 3, and T to 2. If card16 brings 0 men and card1 brings at least 1 men, move 15 to 16... 2 to 3, 1 to 2, and T to 1. This accounts for both if get out of jail free cards are out of play and in play.

I just wrote that off the top of my head. Looking at my triggers, for get out of jail free, I just moved the hydralisk to cardT, and there is another trigger for both cc and chance to remove a lone hydralisk on cardT.
Also, if making a risk game, unit limit may become a factor. For this, you could just make it so player 8 hydralisk is "one," player 9 hydralisk is "3," player 10 hydralisk is "9," and player 11 hydralisk is "27" or something. For example, to represent the card 25 would be 2 p10 hydralisks, two p9 hydralisks, and one p8 hydralisks. Just an idea; I just used tons of hydralisks because unit limit really isn't an issue in monopoly.

I attached my triggers related to setting up the chance/community chest cards, as well the example of getting second place in a beauty contest ;)

Also attached is a new version; my last one had some silly bugs with some of the cosmetics added, as well as stupid mistakes when adding the new auction intervals. You can still attack the resources to trade with now that p7 and p8 are enemies.. not sure what I'm going to do about that quite yet.

EDIT: Attachment removed.

Attachments:
Chance.txt
Hits: 1 Size: 35.32kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 19 2009, 12:49 am by fritfrat.

None.

May 10 2009, 11:31 pm Demented Shaman Post #75

i just saw your map being hosted pub.

None.

May 14 2009, 9:15 am Wormer Post #76

fritfrat, DevliN, this is awesome! :wub:

I had a public game yesterday. The first thing I want to report is that there was a bug when the player was able to continue playing while being in debt. I'm not sure when it happened but probably after he should pay me more than he was able to pay. And after that the money system screwed up and in the end when he wanted to declare bankruptcy he couldn't do it :(

Here is the replay, it is quite long but still could help you figure out what is going on.

We played a rather long game and everything else seemed to work fine.

A few suggestions that came to my mind while I was playing.

To make those computer-owned mineral chunks not attackable (I mean the problem with the computer being an enemy) you can give them from one of the players to Neutral player 12. Giving units to P12 preserves the ally status of their owner.

A EUD keypress detection could be very usefull for displaying info on prices on properties. You can have an ingame menu controlled by keys: Insert, Delete, PageUp, PageDown. For example, pressing Insert activates the menu (in some way Insert=Enter), then you choose an item via PageUp and PageDown. Delete serves as an Esc key to exit the menu. There is a little problem because PageUp, PageDown, Home and End keys control screen movement. In that way you could solely use Insert and Delete keys. Or you could use keys Insert, Delete, PageUp and PageDown to dipsplay info in mission objectives! :) You should also have a key to display info on current property and to repeat the last message. You dont need to make broad explanations of rules or something, but what is really necessary is an info on prices of all properties, costs of houses and the whole list of rent prices for each property.

Probably it is a good idea to add some kind of system for other players to force out others from trading area. Also some kind of a system to ensure that people could not block trade forever while choosing to pay %10 or unmortgage property.

Make the ban system via unallying the target player. The first time you unally the player it will give you the message that you are going to ban the player and asks you to confirm. At the same time target player recieves a warning. If you unally twice in a row you ban the target player. Or probably even some kind of voting between player using ally/unally, probably an opponents condition might be used there.

Add color blinking notifications of dices on minimap when dice are rolled, of prices when prices change and something. Also, blink/change color of dices for a while when double is rolled.

You can use Mission Objectives to display the last message or something.

Use leaderboard to display messages.

Rename Protoss Photon Cannon.

Some.

May 14 2009, 10:48 pm Demented Shaman Post #77

NEVERMIND.

None.

May 14 2009, 10:50 pm killer_sss Post #78

Probably it is a good idea to add some kind of system for other players to force out others from trading area. Also some kind of a system to ensure that people could not block trade forever while choosing to pay %10 or unmortgage property.

Um what do u mean by this? Are you refering to physical area blocking or what because the "also" is throwing me off if you are?

Eh just played this for first time and things didn't go well. I didn't know what was buy and what was auction. Would be nice to lable these on map somehow. Also due to this we ran into an auction bug.

Will be testing it again shortly to report back i better game i hope :\

He bid $370 and when timer ended he didn't recieve the property and i was still able to outbid him after the timer ended.
Heres the attached replay:

Attachments:
Monopoly bug.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 213.57kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 14 2009, 11:08 pm by killer_sss.

None.

May 15 2009, 1:27 am fritfrat Post #79

Lots of suggestions! Thanks a lot, everyone. I'll address everything one by one.

Wormer's post:
The game being able to play still when being in debt is a known bug that I am yet to address; this is actually a general problem with the freeze roller triggers, I believe.
Not attackable resources was on my written to do list, just not on the front page; I added it there for clarification.
I don't want to use EUDs in my map, but property information will be added in some way.
Forcing other players to do things just won't work. This game is far, far too complicated; the fact is, if someone wants to be a dick, they will screw up your game somehow and someway and there is nothing to prevent that. Most likely, a banner will just be added.
For proposed ban system: the players used to be foes and the computers enemies, and many, many triggers used "foes." I switched these and did a replace all on Foes to Allies, so players could ping each other. This leads to the crystal attacking problem, but in short, way way too complicated to do a ban system like that. The ban system will be simple :)
Blinking notifications? I was thinking maybe minimap pings in the beginning of the game to show that those are where those things are, but after that, I find it perfectly easy if you just pay attention. I added this topic to my ideas for DevliN's edits.
Photon cannon has been renamed, just not in the most recent version. Good thing to point out, though; thanks.
Leaderboard is kind of in use... DevliN can consider this, and I'll add it to the ideas for him.

Alright, I have everything added to my to do list to the front page except for the bug which I have written down. Killer_sss, DevliN will be adding more interactivity and labeling for buy property/auction, and the bid 370 bug should be fixed in the most recent version I uploaded.

Thank you so much, guys, for helping out. I'll be getting this finished soon enough..

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 15 2009, 2:52 am by fritfrat.

None.

May 15 2009, 4:10 am killer_sss Post #80

Bugs:
ran across the exact same auction bug and noone left this tiem its just glitchy and it happens.

turn bug - some idiot didn't roll fast enough and the block squares appeared preventing him from rolling see replay

chance move back 3 spaces - didn't fire correctly i've had it work properly before but this time it gave teal an extra $150 and he never moved back see replay I'm thinking its mislabled for the roller. When i see it doesn't move properly and when an opponent gets it works fine.

problem unmortgaging while having houses bought on a color group. ex he had 2 houses one on the 2 unmortgaged greens and the last one mortgaged. he could not unmortgage his final property to build up higher. He then had to sell houses and then unmortgage then rebuy houses. see technicalities.

also will continue looking at the game but i could have swore i went to jail and rolled doubles got out and hit community chest went back and had to buy out on my third turn including the doubles roll so 2 turns instead of three from the second time i went to jail.

tenesee mortgages but the property doesn't go to 50% hp so u can't tell its mortgaged without looking at the map. also mini map pings would be nice when mortgaging unmortgaging or buying houses. wait maybe a minimap ping could be created to check see where a property is say bring to a beacon to check for those peeps that haven't commited the game properties to memory like me lol.

Cosmetics:
need to be able to tell where all players are it kinda sux that we stack burrowed on one spot because you can't quite see where people are if 2+ land on same square. along with this i would add in a ping that shows where a player lands after his roll would be really helpfull especially with some of the cards effects.

also when bidding on properties it would be nice to recieve a ping of the current property up to bid even an occasional ping would be great. this would help avoid confusion.

totally agree gotta remove the attack ability crap i accidently declared bankrupt trying to keep myself from attacking.

Things that simply didn't work (guess they could be called bugs)
also the utility pay is very unreliable i was paying 10x and 4x quite a bit and that was without the cards and seperate people owning both.

also your double pay on railroad doesn't work. had it twice and only paid reg amount.

Things that i think could use a change
1. -the trading auction system is my least favorite part of this game atm. Its not very easy to bid you have to click lots of times to get your guy to move to outbid.
- Also the player order affects who gets the bid if more than 1 player lands on the beacon.
- the increments are nice but they you get to a point of where ever increasing bids becomes rediculous. I would out bid for $20-30 but not $50-60+. Would like to see a steady increment of idk $30 unstead of constantly rasining. maybe start with 10-20$ and eventually move to $30 but not higher
-i would rather bid by building a unit rather than clicking. It would be easier to tell who performed the action first and would require less clicking.
-would be nice to bid what you wanted also instead of bidding the set bid because certain people gain advantage say if you wana stop bidding at mortgage price one person is the only one that can do it and its not always the person that started the bid.

2. -a roll to determine who goes first. It sucks being the last player and when people join your game if they are in the last spot they are going last period. game maker can essentially sit in first place.

3. -buying houses would also be better if it were done through building because if a player is paying more attention and/or has less units in the way they can purchase faster than another player.
-Having them put piece on beacon to buy then they could put properties on the beacon as they aquire them and when time came build units to purchase and thus buy up the buildings faster.
-Also this would help with the housing auction if you were to implement it later on. could have like a timer which if another player wanted to purchase they could and if there was less than either wanted to buy you could enforce an auction.

Technicalities
- from what i have seen computer monopoly games seem to run this way as well.
-could not find anything on rule technicalities for monopoly.

1. The way i have always played even from reading the rules was that you couldn't mortgage unless you had no houses on a color and thus could not also buy houses if a property of that color group was mortgaged.

2. advance token to nearest railroad you took it literal as nearest in realative space and i took it more game related nearest from the current square i occupy and since i can only move one direction thus can only move foward.

Attachments:
turn bug and chance bug.rep
Hits: 1 Size: 219.5kb

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on May 15 2009, 7:27 am by killer_sss.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 67 >
  Back to forum