Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Random Inc. <3
Random Inc. <3
Jan 17 2008, 9:16 am
By: Ultraviolet  

Jan 17 2008, 9:16 am Ultraviolet Post #1

I'm a bit reluctant to post anything about this map since I almost always lose motivation halfway through a project and quit, but I think posting something might motivate me to work harder on this. So anyway, here goes.

Title: Random Inc. <3

This title is shit, I just couldn't come up with a name. The idea is that events are fairly random, although as I continue production everything seems to become less and less random.

Features

• Basic Spell System
• Heal - 240 mana: Restores about 20-25 hp if the medic is on you the entire time. The spell lasts 10 seconds, so you can actually use the medic to do other things, such as scout ahead.
• Greater Heal - 600 mana: Restores about 60 hp if the medic is on you the entire time. This spell only lasts 3 1/3 seconds though, so this is a true healer, rather than a scout.
• Charge - 450 mana: Recharges your mana to full (3600) if it succeeds. 1/4 chance of success, 3/4 chance of fail, in which case you just lose your mana.
• Teleport - 3600 mana: The escape spell. Randomly moves you to any location somewhere on the map. Different areas of teleportation for each player, so you can use this to escape from monsters and other players.

• Music System
I know a lot of people aren't fans of the music thing because it just makes the map bigger and require a longer download, but I've compressed the music so that it only adds about 100kb and it adds so much flavour to the map ;). Choice of 3 different songs: Popcorn, Atliens, and Der Furst Der Finsternis. Each clip is from 8.5 to 10 seconds long.

• Action Button
Basic 'button' where you have a civilian that you simply move to cause some sort of action to occur (open a door, pick up a weapon, etc..). Nothing special here.

Items

• First Aid Kit - Restores HP to 100% with no mana cost. Nice to come across :]

• Key - Opens the door to a boss. Bosses must be killed in consecutive order.

Any other ideas for items? List is kind of meager atm.

Roles

• Vampire
I was really pumped on mafia when I was beginning this map, so I decided to implement a random vampire feature. Basically, one of the players is randomly selected to be the vampire, and his goal from that point on is to kill all the normal players. The Vampire can switch between his normal human form and his vampire form. His vampire form is significantly stronger than a normal human form. If his normal human form is killed he will automatically be forced to stay in his vampire form until he dies. No additional powers gained from being in vampire form.

• Townsperson
So, this 'townsperson' isn't exactly conventional. He's equipped with a rifle and ready to pwn ;). Not very strong, but not completely defenseless either.

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Role considered, and added)
Back to the mafia theme, this is basically a Boondock Saint. If I implement this role she will basically be a good-aligned vampire. I'm thinking this might be a role that has only a percentage chance of being implemented, because this would really make it difficult for the vampire. On the otherhand, without this role the townies will have a tough time defeating the vampire. Added, only spawns 25% of the time though.

Naturally the players won't have vision with eachother, and won't be allowed to vision. This will prevent weeding out the vampire easily. In addition all players are the same colour, which makes it exceptionally difficult to identify anyone. Since the vampire is fairly strong, I'm considering throwing out the same colour thing. Or maybe making there be 2 players of each colour to cause some confusion, but considerably less.

Gameplay

So, it seems like all this that I've said already is the game, right? Wrong! This is sort of a side feature meant to make it more difficult for the players. The main objective in the game is for the players to escape the labyrinth they are trapped within. To escape this maze, players will have to find keys, defeat 8 different bosses, and eventually defeat the final boss and escape the labyrinth. Along the way they will encounter deception, confusion, and nasty monsters. What a life these players have, poor guys. Other than the basic plan the gameplay hasn't been developed very much, yet.

Bosses

The bosses are fairly basic, just strong units that you need to work as a team to take down. I stole the names from the final bosses of FF VIII.

• Sphinxaur/Sphinxara - Edmund Duke (Siege Mode)/Edmund Duke (Siege Tank)
• Tri-Point - Tom Kazansky (Wraith)
• Krysta - Tassadar/Zeratul (Archon)
• Trauma - Tassadar (High Templar)
• Red Giant - Zeratul (Dark Templar)
• Gargantua - Torrasque (Ultralisk)
• Catoblepas - Warbringer (Reaver)
• Tiamat - Kukulza (Mutalisk)

• Ultima Weapon - Unit Undecided

Happy Fun Time Image(s)

Suggestions

Anything you guys would like to see?

• Codes to unlock hidden parts of the game
• Player as bosses (I don't plan on implementing this, but might as well add it to the list)

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Jan 20 2008, 9:50 am by NerdyTerdy.

Jan 17 2008, 2:59 pm Ryan Post #2

I would like to see a city. >:O

None.

Jan 17 2008, 3:41 pm Paravin. Post #3

A Village with a forest, actualy.

None.

Jan 17 2008, 9:08 pm Ultraviolet Post #4

.. Why? That doesn't really go with the idea at all.

Jan 18 2008, 12:03 am Riney Post #5

Thigh high affectionado

Anything Id like to see? Codes to unlock hard mode that allow the players to fight the maze guardian Dark_Marine (Level:120)

Thats not gonna happen though >:D

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jan 18 2008, 3:06 am Ultraviolet Post #6

I could make codes to unlock certain minor things, that could be fun.

Jan 18 2008, 2:46 pm ClintonM Post #7

Honestly I was thinking village myself in a jungle myself when I was reading your idea... The Labyrinth just doesn't really match vampires in my opinion... Especially with bosses.

However, minus the vampire idea where people have to work together to escape the labyrinth, I think this would make a great map where you actually have to work together.

Another Idea:
Instead of playing a vampire, why not allow the player to play as the bosses? This adopts a Left 4 Dead style that I'm thinking about using for one of my ideas. It'd keep the gameplay less repetitive because not every player would play bosses in the exact same way.

None.

Jan 18 2008, 10:54 pm Ultraviolet Post #8

Labyrinths = Dark, Vampires = Only come out in dark. It's not a perfect setting for vampires, but it's not a horrible one either. I really just wanted to make a labyrinth and a vampire, so I merged them :P. This map isn't meant to be perfect, the hope is that it will be finished and well-made.

The thing I don't like about the player playing as bosses is that it doesn't add that aspect of everyone being untrustworthy and making suspicion be a large part of the game. That's what I really like.

Jan 29 2008, 1:20 am Ultraviolet Post #9

I work on this! I finish Vampire/Buffy section. Nao I just design maze, which take forever :<

Want to test with me?!

Feb 21 2008, 12:41 am FatalException Post #10

Dude... WHY DID I PLAY THAT WITH YOU FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT WHILE TALKIN' 'BOUT YO NEW HO?!

None.

Feb 21 2008, 1:44 am Ultraviolet Post #11

:P cause you lub me

Mar 19 2008, 10:20 pm Saucon Post #12

what kind of improvements will players get?

-better weapons ?
-better spells?
-better secks?
-etc.

also perhaps a mana potion could be another item.
and maybe spell scrolls? (pick it up, use it later, one use per)

None.

Jul 12 2008, 11:38 pm Ultraviolet Post #13

Quote from Saucon
what kind of improvements will players get?

-better weapons ?
-better spells?
-better secks?
-etc.

also perhaps a mana potion could be another item.
and maybe spell scrolls? (pick it up, use it later, one use per)

Well, I dropped this project, but today I picked it up again. Reading through the topic again I just saw this post and am quite grateful for it. The weapons improvements will come in the form of upgrades at the engineering bay. They also may develop armour upgrades, but the vampire will not be able to (on his vampire unit). Better spells is an improvement I'm considering. Not sure yet. And of course there will be better secks ;).

I like the mana potion idea, not so sure about spell scrolls. Maybe though.

Aug 2 2008, 8:52 pm Biophysicist Post #14

Suggestions for the Ultimata Weapon boss: how about one of the Battlecruiser heroes, Fenix (as Dragoon), a Photon Cannon, or a Corsair with D-Web? Those all seem like weapons...

This map looks like it will be pretty uber. Waiting to see it.

None.

Options
  Back to forum