Kony 2012
Mar 7 2012, 12:39 am
By: Tempz
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Mar 8 2012, 10:36 am Jack Post #21

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from Jack
Wait so you guys are supporting the idea of the USA going and invading another country, as they have done previously (confederate america, korea vietnam iraq etc.) or the UN, even when it is not their country nor their business? I haven't finished watching the video but unless this Kony's army has invaded the USA then it is not the responsibility nor the right of the USA to invade another country to prevent evil, especially as they often cause more harm than good in doing so.
Well, we already sent 100 (armed) soldiers to train the Ugandan army, but not to fight unless in self-defense. You have to realize history repeats itself but this time it's actually the will of the people, and not to fight communism or whatever.
Argumentum ad populum; just because a lot of people want it to happen doesn't make it right.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 8 2012, 11:14 am Sacrieur Post #22

Still Napping

But that's not the case, is it?

Kony is an evil, psychopathic monster. He has committed egregious crimes against humanity, and we let him persist while we stand idly by and do nothing, then we are just as sickening. I want action to be taken, not because of some corporate interest, and not because we will benefit. It's for the sake of our moral selves and for justice's sake.

Let's only worry about ourselves right? It's not like we've ever received help from anyone ever.

That's selfish, and I won't stand for it.

---

Fine, say you're against this. But don't call yourself on the side of world peace.

None.

Mar 8 2012, 11:45 am Bar Refaeli Post #23

I don't think you understand my viewpoint. Joseph Kony is a horrible person and needs to be stopped. However, Kony 2012 is not the appropriate charity that you should support if you want this to happen.

@Jack: Your point is incredibly true but I also agree with Inferno. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of whether the people support this decision or not. If they do, then they won't be able to put full blame on the president/government like they have before (in my opinion at least, I can see many contrasting arguments to this though).

None.

Mar 8 2012, 1:55 pm Jack Post #24

I never said that Kony shouldn't be stopped; I said it is not the USA's place to do anything about him unless he directly attacks them. If the Ugandan army stops him, then great. But having a bunch of US citizens worked up about it and causing their government to go and invade yet another country illegally is not a good thing. The end does not justify the means.

But don't call yourself
on the side of world peace.
I find that quite insulting and request that you remove it and take it back. I most definitely do want the world to be more peaceful, but the way to make it peaceful is not to go around killing people we don't like.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 8 2012, 4:07 pm Sacrieur Post #25

Still Napping

Quote from Jack
I never said that Kony shouldn't be stopped; I said it is not the USA's place to do anything about him unless he directly attacks them. If the Ugandan army stops him, then great. But having a bunch of US citizens worked up about it and causing their government to go and invade yet another country illegally is not a good thing. The end does not justify the means.

The ends is justified by the means. Oh, and no one is advocating sending in a battalion to wreck his shit. Maybe a few teams of Navy Seals or special forces would be as far as I'm willing to go. We need to weed this guy out, and if that means sending some guys over with some technology to do it, then by all means. Yes, yes, the IC might not be the best place to send my money, but you can't undermine what they're doing. And that's bringing awareness to an issue that is largely unheard of.

People become aware of something then it spreads, and the right people will do something about it. Or our politicians will feel the need to support catching this criminal.

As far as our business is concerned, we're part of the UN security council, and Uganda is part of the UN. We need to do our fucking job or resign from the council. The US has raised virtually NO attention to this issue in the UN. What the hell? Liberty for all? More like liberty for corporate interest.

I find that quite insulting and request that you remove it and take it back. I most definitely do want the world to be more peaceful, but the way to make it peaceful is not to go around killing people we don't like.

No, the way we do it is by not allowing psychopaths to roam freely simply because it doesn't serve our interests, and have them answer to their inexcusable crimes.

None.

Mar 8 2012, 5:20 pm lil-Inferno Post #26

Just here for the pie

Quote from Jack
But don't call yourself
on the side of world peace.
I most definitely do want the world to be more peaceful, but the way to make it peaceful is not to go around killing people we don't like.
Any truly heinous individual, like Kony, won't back down just because we called them a mean word. Violence is somewhat necessary in this situation but that doesn't mean we need to level the whole country, it just means that with the right intel and team we could avoid unnecessary casualties. Think back to the Neptune Spear operation.

EDIT:

Mar 8 2012, 9:51 pm Jack Post #27

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be killed, I'm saying it is NOT any other country's responsibility to go in there and assassinate him. Same as bin laden, it was not good for the USA to go assassinate him. I think there are some very evil men high up in the US government who should also be killed but I do not support NZ going and assassinating them. If the US police arrested them and they went through due process of the law then were executed then that would be fine.

Red classic.

Mar 8 2012, 9:59 pm Bar Refaeli Post #28

Be more specific why not. The US is one of the largest world powers and if we can help other countries, why shouldn't we? I don't think this is comparable to Iraq etc. This may not benefit the USA, but people should always help those in need!

None.

Mar 8 2012, 10:07 pm lil-Inferno Post #29

Just here for the pie

Quote from Jack
Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be killed, I'm saying it is NOT any other country's responsibility to go in there and assassinate him. Same as bin laden
Bin Laden was the United States' problem.

Mar 8 2012, 10:42 pm Jack Post #30

Quote from name:Raccoon
Be more specific why not. The US is one of the largest world powers and if we can help other countries, why shouldn't we? I don't think this is comparable to Iraq etc. This may not benefit the USA, but people should always help those in need!
If the Ugandan government asks the USA to come kill him and then go away, and the USA does so and no more, then that would be acceptable. Until then, the assassination of a citizen of a country by a foreign power is both illegal and am act of war and should not be promoted by anyone.

The USA would be better off spending their time and money fixing their own country before trying to "help" other countries; it hasn't gone very well in the past.
Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from Jack
Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be killed, I'm saying it is NOT any other country's responsibility to go in there and assassinate him. Same as bin laden
Bin Laden was the United States' problem.
True.

Red classic.

Mar 8 2012, 10:43 pm FatalException Post #31

Uganda and the Congo don't exactly have the strongest militaries, either. You might think its their responsibility because he's in their countries, but obviously they can't handle taking him out, so they need help.

Also, keep in mind that Kony isn't just an innocent "citizen of another country", like you're saying: he's an internationally indicted war criminal. He's also not in Uganda anymore.

None.

Mar 8 2012, 10:51 pm Bar Refaeli Post #32

In addition it is not just the US going in an assassinating someone, it's the US sending troops and equipment to train and aid the Ugandan army in hopes of capturing him. I haven't don't much research, but has the Ugandan government actually not asked for the US's help yet?

None.

Mar 9 2012, 12:40 am rayNimagi Post #33

Quote from Jack
Wait so you guys are supporting the idea of the USA going and invading another country
I do NOT think the US should invade any more countries. Wait, did I just agree with Jack? This must be a first!

Quote from Jack
The USA would be better off spending their time and money fixing their own country before trying to "help" other countries; it hasn't gone very well in the past.
Exactly. Sending troops overseas causes problems. Vietname started with "just a few" military advisers from the US, but then troop buildup escalated until the US was fighting an unwinnable war. Luckily, I think Hilary Clinton is smart enough not to advocate an invasion of Uganda. Most Americans could not locate Uganda on a map.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Mar 9 2012, 2:07 am TiKels Post #34

If 30 million+ united states citizens take an interest in a political/humanitarian endeavor and gain more knowledge about another culture, it's a win. I doubt that people are going to do that, though... But if we assume it doesn't work out, there's a pretty good percentage that people may realize en masse that we aren't the world's police. I'd call that a good thing. Or maybe it won't. Maybe people will forget about it or blame Obama for failing to fix Uganda. We should bet minerals on it :D

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 9 2012, 3:55 am Sacrieur Post #35

Still Napping

Don't think the US should police the world? Petition to resign from the UN security council. Sorry, we made it our business when we became permanent members. We need to pay our dues.

None.

Mar 10 2012, 5:34 pm Oh_Man Post #36

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Stef had some interesting viewpoints: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUY2qlnQ4po

Mar 11 2012, 3:50 am Sacrieur Post #37

Still Napping

For a guy that's not an expert he sure has a lot of expert claims.

None.

Mar 12 2012, 6:15 pm matefkr Post #38

First, facebook is international pretty much. Facebook is mentioned for whatever reason, but that is a suggestion for people to share there. So obvious, besides sharing it, our rulers can also gauge the popularity of the american oimage all over the world. Thats good before launching assault - foor whatever purposes. Just to note, the CIA or any kind of intelligance agency, has far enough technology, to simpli track down this rebel group without noticing that they are being followed (i dont give out details). I dont say that they their main purpose is not to find kony, i say there are obvious conclusions which can be drawn. I would realy like to believe that here is a "majority group" which are the gpood guys simply doing their stuff for everyones love and shit. Another note, with such menbtioned views its easi to add some millions to it, noone will notice and just that much: views = views*1.2 or something similar. I would like a large cohesive global organisation something, but with people not just willing to act but think logically.

None.

Mar 12 2012, 6:30 pm Azrael Post #39

Quote from Sacrieur
For a guy that's not an expert he sure has a lot of expert claims.

Welcome to the thread, the internet, and pretty much every discussion ever.

Mar 12 2012, 10:45 pm TiKels Post #40

I guess you didn't like it. I'll try again. Misspellings are in bold (I didn't bother on some such as "dont").
First, facebook is international pretty much. Facebook is mentioned for whatever reason, but that is a suggestion for people to share there. So obvious, besides sharing it, our rulers can also gauge the popularity of the american oimage all over the world. Thats good before launching assault - foor whatever purposes.
Second sentence is hard to follow grammatically. Are you saying that the government is going to release the idea of going after Kony to the public in the form of a youtube video so that they can see how it'd look if we did? See if other countries' (country's? always effed that up) populations react negatively? I don't even know what you're saying.
Just to note, the CIA or any kind of intelligance agency, has far enough technology, to simpli track down this rebel group without noticing that they are being followed (i dont give out details).
I'm not an expert as you seem to be claiming to be, but just saying "WE CAN FIND HIM" without any sort of substance is an unsupported claim. I mean we had a hell of a time finding that middle eastern guy :awesome:
I dont say that they their main purpose is not to find kony, i say there are obvious conclusions which can be drawn. I would realy like to believe that here is a "majority group" which are the gpood guys simply doing their stuff for everyones love and shit.
Yet you never mention what these "obvious conclusions" are.
Another note, with such menbtioned views its easi to add some millions to it, noone will notice and just that much: views = views*1.2 or something similar. I would like a large cohesive global organisation something, but with people not just willing to act but think logically.
What would be the purpose of falsifying views? So it becomes more popular :lol: ? What would be the purpose of this global "organisation"? You never say anything about that.

At no point in that wall of text did you actually make any points. You just said that the government COULD be drawing up interest over Kony. But you didn't even supply a reason. Actually, you didn't even seem to firmly believe your own claims: I can't even call you a conspiracy theorist at this point. You're just spouting unconnected possibilities. We could do that all day.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum