Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Can't play LAN, only bnet shows in menu!HELP!
Can't play LAN, only bnet shows in menu!HELP!
Mar 3 2012, 5:47 am
By: Tito.  

Mar 3 2012, 5:47 am Tito. Post #1

Copied my starcraft folder and pasted it on my brothers computer so we can play lan games, but when he goes to the multiplayer menu, where it gives you the options of like battle.net, lan, modem,ect. Only battle.net shows up. We have done this copy paste thing before and I'm not sure why it's not working. Anyone else see this before?
thanks in advanced.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:11 am Lanthanide Post #2

This sounds very odd, I can't imagine how that would happen. For example current versions of starcraft still support IPX and if your operating system doesn't (Vista, 7, by default, probably also XP) then the option still shows up but clicking on it gives you an error.

I don't know why you wouldn't have other options showing up at all. Screenshot please?

If you're simply missing "Local Area Network (UDP)" which is the 5th/last option on the list, then update to the latest version of Starcraft. I believe they added it in 1.15 or something fairly late.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:26 am Tito. Post #3

Brother just went to bed. I will be back tomorrow. But yes, only battle.net shows up. not LAN or modem or any of the other ones, only battle.net Will post back tomorrow with screenshot or more info. thanks!

None.

Mar 3 2012, 12:20 pm NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Maybe it's a corrupt/missing registry entry?
There's registry fixer floating around the internet which might help but I'm not sure how legal they are so you gonna have to google them yourself.

Mar 3 2012, 4:50 pm Ahli Post #5

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Add IPX and/or UDP protocol to his computer's network settings (I think UDP is better, but I've no idea).
If you post which operating system he has, we might be able to assist more.

Mar 3 2012, 11:13 pm Tito. Post #6

He uses windows 7

None.

Mar 3 2012, 11:42 pm Tito. Post #7

Copied it to another friends computer, also running windows 7, and it did the same thing. I have done the copy paste thing before, and it worked. But idk if it was with windows 7.

None.

Mar 4 2012, 12:11 am Ahli Post #8

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

That's odd. ;S I had no such problem on Win7.

Maybe the solution in this thread helps.

Mar 4 2012, 3:11 am Lanthanide Post #9

Quote from Ahli
Add IPX and/or UDP protocol to his computer's network settings (I think UDP is better, but I've no idea).
IPX is an old protocol, Novell Netware, which has been superceded by IP. Saying which is "better" is rather academic, what we can say is that IPX is an unpopular protocol that is not supported by Vsita or 7 and probably XP by default, whereas UDP definitely will be. There is no need to "install" UDP on a clean/correct installation of Windows 7.

Also as outlined in my post, lacking support for a protocol in the operating system won't prevent or stop Starcraft from showing that multiplayer option available - you simply get an error when you try to select it.

Unlikely, as again the OP reports that the option for multiplayer isn't available to click on.

So far Nude has the most likely suggestion: something is wrong with the Starcraft installation, and since you've copied and pasted it the obvious issue is something to do with the registry.

Post a screenshot of the menu, please.

None.

Mar 4 2012, 8:27 am Gigins Post #10

Try running this. It restores the default gateways for bnet if you've been playing around with others. Maybe it'll work. :ermm:

Attachments:
Default_Gateways.reg
Hits: 0 Size: 0.92kb

None.

Mar 5 2012, 10:29 pm Tito. Post #11

Ok. he only comes by on the weekends, so i will try it out then. thanks.

None.

Mar 6 2012, 1:04 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #12

👻 👾 👽 💪

Did you copy the whole sc folder or just some files? You might be missing battle.snp...

I've had this before, but I don't know what causes it. I fixed it by reinstalling with a CD.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 30 2012, 1:33 pm Tito. Post #13

Friend is coming by this weekend, I am gonna give it another go. I suspect something may have happened when the file was copied to the flash drive. The flash drive produced the same effect, not being able to play LAN, on two different computers. But that same starcraft folder more recently worked in another copy/paste scenario. I'm gonna give it another go, hopefully there was some error when the file was copied. :ermm:

None.

Options
  Back to forum