Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: PvP Terraria #3
PvP Terraria #3
Aug 23 2011, 4:22 pm
By: TiKels
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >

Aug 26 2011, 3:16 am Azrael Post #41

I could make it tomorrow, but not Saturday.

Aug 26 2011, 4:48 am lil-Inferno Post #42

Just here for the pie

Uh, well, there's gonna be a hurricane on Saturday, so it's doubtful my connection would be any good. ;o

Aug 26 2011, 4:49 am ShadowFlare Post #43

Same here (no, not a hurricane; that hadn't been posted yet when I started this message). I can load up a world on the server in advance, either Friday night or early Saturday morning, but I won't be on past then (going to be out of town).

None.

Aug 26 2011, 9:03 am Azrael Post #44

Yeah, let's do this sometime later today, it doesn't look like anyone's going to be available tomorrow.

Aug 26 2011, 4:03 pm The Starport Post #45

I'm going to be away for at least the next 4 hours or so.

None.

Aug 26 2011, 7:07 pm Azrael Post #46

How about starting in the vicinity of 6 PM to 8 PM?

Aug 26 2011, 7:26 pm TiKels Post #47

Haha ok, I didn't want to start too late but since that time is so unacceptable, we'll try and shoot for 6 (or five preferably, since inf can't do anything after 6), today. I'll update the entire post when I get home. I should be home by 3:45.

It's easier for me to pick a time and just have you guys disagree, unless everyone wants to post their schedule for the next week and we try and organize it, but that would be a little stupid ridiculous.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 26 2011, 7:42 pm by TiKels.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 26 2011, 11:16 pm Dem0n Post #48

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I have work tomorrow at 5 so if you think 3 hours will be enough time then yeah, I'll do it. ;O

...unless you guys already started today? O.o

Aug 27 2011, 1:51 am TiKels Post #49

(or five preferably, since inf can't do anything after 6), today.
inf can't do anything after 6), today.
today
Yes today.

The match went from about 5:00 to 8:45, longer than I expected. The game changed from using hardcore to using mediumcore simply because dying by zombies/eyes at night became common and everyone had died within the first 10 minutes of play. The rule was dying by a player's hand is death.

Left (blue) started off with me and inferno

Left (red) had shady and heinermann to start.

Azrael (Bottom) sat and complained the entire time and actually didn't play at all.

Inferno disconnected/left at about 6:45. WITH ALL OF MY ITEMS. Literally, all of them. I died and he picked up my stuff and left.
Azrael showed up at about 7:00.
Dem0n showed up, complained about wood houses being ugly, mined some clay, then afk'd for a few hours, and went to my team.
Tuxlar showed up at some point and went to the right team.
At this point it's 1v3 if you don't count dem0n.
But I had a trick up my sleeve... I had found....
Enchanted boomerang.

I went in and fought tuxlar, who was using iron bow and flaming arrows with a copper chestplate. I Had goggles and copper boots with my boomerang. After an insanely close battle, I got him at a good angle and just whaled on him (whales ;D) and crushed him. Shady found me and with cunning, lured me down into a cave and trapped me with sand, killing me. I would have been able to kill all of them, if I hadn't been outsmarted by her.

Anyway that's about all.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 27 2011, 2:17 am The Starport Post #50

Actually I tried to broadsword you head on for the lulz. Knockback's a bitch. :hurr:

None.

Aug 27 2011, 2:26 am lil-Inferno Post #51

Just here for the pie

I would have given your stuff back if I didn't have to leave so abruptly. :><:

Aug 27 2011, 2:29 am samsizzle Post #52

I can play saturday(tomorrow) for sure.

None.

Aug 27 2011, 2:53 am Azrael Post #53

Quote from TiKels
Azrael (Bottom) sat and complained the entire time and actually didn't play at all.

You were the only one complaining about anything, I don't know what you're talking about. I was just pointing out factual observations. You were apparently on some kind of power trip being the "game master" and all, and even the slightest suggestion was met with "omg this is my game and my rules stfu!" I found how inexplicably irritable and argumentative you were to be pretty amusing honestly.

And for the record I was playing, I had an intimidating arsenal of weapons and equipment and the most health of anyone. I was also the only player to keep their hardcore character the entire game (I left my character in the world even while I was AFK until 7). By the time you died though, my only goal was to kill you, which is why I suicided to end the game five seconds after you were killed by Shady.

I don't know if you were just having a bad day today or what, but in the future it'd be better if you could relax a little.

Aug 27 2011, 6:24 am The Starport Post #54

I think we need a dedicated PvP starting area/map. No corruptions, jungle, dungeon, or access to hell. Simple as that.

What would be the best way to do something like that? It would take forever to terraform even a small sized map to such parameters in-game...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 27 2011, 6:44 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Aug 27 2011, 6:43 am UnholyUrine Post #55

whoops.. Missed it :C

None.

Aug 27 2011, 8:19 am ShadowFlare Post #56

Started new PvP world, same port. Be sure to check in with everyone before you join. It would be best if you all arrange to join at the same time, so time doesn't pass in-game, especially since I won't be around likely until late in the day.

This time I have the feature for assigning NPCs to each party actually working (I was making things more complicated than it had to be, checking the walls in places in the code where it was unnecessary). No worrying about the other team stealing your NPCs if the game goes long enough for that to matter. The way this works is that when you place a background wall, the server associates it with your party. NPCs will be spawned specifically for your party, disregarding how many the other parties have, and will only make your party's house(s) their home. To avoid confusion about which walls belong to which party, you will not be able to connect your walls to a different party's walls, similar to if they were a different wall type. The difference is that since this is being done server side (normally is client-side), instead of not being able to place the wall, the server removes the wall and gives it back to you.

If you need to rehost for any reason or just want more control while I'm away, one of you can host it yourself with the modded server I've uploaded: http://www.mediafire.com/?2vaj8fqa4gbmr

None.

Aug 27 2011, 11:53 am Azrael Post #57

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I think we need a dedicated PvP starting area/map. No corruptions, jungle, dungeon, or access to hell.

I don't disagree that something could be done with starting areas (like making two random ones somewhere on the surface) or modifying the map generating process to make the terrain more suitable for this kind of gameplay, but I think using just the same map all the time would get old.

Also, going to hell wasn't an issue with hardcore characters. It's not something you can do accidentally, and the risk is high enough to deter people from trying and to kill people that do. With the rules changed to use mediumcore though, obviously some people are going to make their way there.

There's an easy fix to rebalance this element of gameplay which I pointed out during the game, and that's simply making it so dying by lava counts as a loss. In essence it basically turns characters "hardcore" when they reach a certain depth. It'll be enough to stop most people from going that far down.

And of course if someone actually does take the time to go down despite the massive risk, manage to get some lava, and bring it back up to kill someone with, then not only did they legitimately die due to another player, but the game's probably lasted a lot longer than it should have anyways. Although it would rarely (if ever) be used, the threat of this kind of late-game weapon will give people an incentive to at least scout the other base occasionally, and not sit on their hands leaving the other team unchecked for an excessively long amount of time.

It's an extremely simple fix to impact existing gameplay as little as possible while still making necessary improvements in areas of the ruleset that are otherwise clearly lacking.

Someone was also suggesting a capture-the-flag style of gameplay. I could see that being a lot of fun, and it balances itself for the most part. There really wouldn't be any need for rules like this since the further down the other team goes, the better it is for you, since your objective is unrelated to their current location. There wouldn't be any rules regarding death in the first place, since the only way to lose would be to have your flag captured and taken back to the enemy base.

If it's possible to set that gametype up, I think people would really enjoy it.

Aug 27 2011, 2:42 pm ShadowFlare Post #58

After I get back today, I could attempt to start making a capture the flag mod if there would be interest in such a thing. I'll try to keep it server-side, if possible. One idea I had is that the server would possibly simulate a player that would be the flag (maybe just a player all in your team color?), so you can't put it away in something and can see which direction your flag is in. There would be a way to make the flag follow you if no one is carrying it and a way to stop it if it is your team's flag and you are carrying it. If it should be allowed, I could also provide a way to give the flag to another player.

None.

Aug 27 2011, 2:48 pm Dem0n Post #59

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

If your character is mediumcore, do you drop everything when you die? If so, you could make the flag like a vanity item or something so that we know who is holding it, and then when they die, someone else can pick it up. And maybe add a way to have it auto-equip to the vanity slot?

Aug 27 2011, 3:00 pm ShadowFlare Post #60

The problem with being an item is that someone could put it in a piggy bank, which the server never sees, IIRC. The only way to prevent this would be a client mod, I think. Well, I suppose another possibility would be to immediately spot another if the server loses track of it. However, another problem is that I don't think the server can make custom items, so anyone could potentially mess things up by having their own copy of the item. Without a client mod and the "flag" being an item, we would have to trust everyone not to do those things. :) Either way, having some kind of mod will make some things easier, like detecting when someone has won.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >
  Back to forum