Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Starcraft 'Longer Than Usual' Mapping Contest
Starcraft 'Longer Than Usual' Mapping Contest
Aug 9 2011, 4:58 am
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1216 >

Sep 14 2011, 5:54 am IskatuMesk Post #181

Lord of the Locker Room

Reporting my posts? Really? Maybe I should take my business somewhere else.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Sep 14 2011, 6:02 am DevliN Post #182

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from IskatuMesk
Reporting my posts? Really? Maybe I should take my business somewhere else.
It was reported for trolling, supposing you weren't serious about the extension. Until you posted screenshots of something, I assumed you were trolling as well. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 14 2011, 6:04 am IskatuMesk Post #183

Lord of the Locker Room

The internet is serious business. I am always serious.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Sep 14 2011, 6:10 am Pr0nogo Post #184

I don't think Mesk would kid around about UCC - something he takes extremely seriously. At least, not to this level.

Sep 14 2011, 6:21 am IskatuMesk Post #185

Lord of the Locker Room

To think I've already contributed to some of the projects here indirectly. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Don't like the attitude I got, though.

Sep 14 2011, 3:59 pm xAngelSpiritx Post #186

eternal lurker

Personally I am in favor of the extension, if only because this contest is to promote SC1 maps, and refusing to accept them for being two days late is rather a shame.

None.

Sep 14 2011, 5:13 pm HelpMe Post #187

I have a slight feeling Demon won't grant it, though. lol

In the event the deadline stays the same, maybe Mesk could switch to turbo mode and still finish it in time? Hmm I wonder. What will become of our heroes? *scenes from the next chapter*

edit: which reminds me, at CC people just apply penalties for submitting late entries. It's a good policy, IMO.

None.

Sep 14 2011, 6:09 pm Oh_Man Post #188

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
Personally I am in favor of the extension, if only because this contest is to promote SC1 maps, and refusing to accept them for being two days late is rather a shame.
No one is refusing to accept them. On the deadline, submit what you've done, even if it is incomplete, then, continue working on the map on those extra two days you require. The incomplete version will be judged for the competition.

It's ludicrous really, like asking the teacher to postpone everyone's assignment deadline because one person isn't done on time.

Sep 14 2011, 7:05 pm Pr0nogo Post #189

Quote from Oh_Man
No one is refusing to accept them. On the deadline, submit what you've done, even if it is incomplete, then, continue working on the map on those extra two days you require. The incomplete version will be judged for the competition.

It's ludicrous really, like asking the teacher to postpone everyone's assignment deadline because one person isn't done on time.

To continue with your example, however, most teachers allow late assignments to be submitted - albeit with points marked off for tardiness, usually proportional to the amount of days late. What your example does is implicate Dem0n as a bad teacher, rather than do what you wanted it to do (support the stance of not extending the due date).
(the portion below has been edited in)
Furthermore, teachers don't often grade incomplete works. You either do the assignment - late or otherwise - or you don't do the assignment. If I submitted my assignment two days late but complete, and another student submitted his assignment on time but incomplete, the teacher would grade mine and leave the other assignment in the garbage, while simultaneously telling the kid to finish his assignment before handing it in (even if it means handing it in late).

So, with your example, Dem0n would be a very bad teacher indeed; he refused a complete, late assignment, but graded an incomplete one. You see now how your example misleads? I say, if you don't extend the deadline, at least accept late submissions, albeit with points marked off professionalism and the like for the tardiness (the amount of points deducted is, of course, debatable, but it shouldn't be too much for two days).

Sep 14 2011, 7:31 pm Oh_Man Post #190

I apologise for your confusion. I never meant to insinuate that Demon should not judge Mesk's two-day late submission, what I said was the entire deadline shouldn't be put back for one mapper's/student's sake. Of course, no teacher does this.
Also, throughout my entire academic career, I have always had to obey the following rule, if the submission is up to three days late, a % of the overall assignment score is deducted; if it is after three days, it is not marked at all. Maybe it is different in America.

Anyway, I'm still saying the same thing, the entire competition shouldn't be pushed back for one person's sake, and this DOESN'T, make Demon a 'bad teacher'. If demon wants to let Mesk submit a two day late submission with a % deduction of the overall score, well, that is his prerogative.

EDIT TO YOUR EDIT: Well maybe this is a cultural difference again but in Australia people hand in incomplete assignments and get marked for them, though, understandably, they are marked poorly. You are not allowed submit more than one assignment either.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 14 2011, 7:36 pm by Oh_Man.

Sep 14 2011, 7:48 pm Pr0nogo Post #191

Quote from Oh_Man
Also, throughout my entire academic career, I have always had to obey the following rule, if the submission is up to three days late, a % of the overall assignment score is deducted; if it is after three days, it is not marked at all. Maybe it is different in America.

Yeah, usually it isn't permitted past three or so days here, either.

Quote from Oh_Man
If demon wants to let Mesk submit a two day late submission with a % deduction of the overall score, well, that is his prerogative.

That's where I was wrong. I thought you were saying that Dem0n shouldn't judge late submissions with a per-cent deduction. My bad.

Quote from Oh_Man
Well maybe this is a cultural difference again but in Australia people hand in incomplete assignments and get marked for them, though, understandably, they are marked poorly. You are not allowed submit more than one assignment either.

Again, I don't see why people prefer the opportunity to hand in incomplete assignments for generally less-than-half credit when they could have a system where a day extra allowed you to complete the assignment properly, and the assignment was graded with five to ten points off for the tardiness. That's just me, though.

Sep 14 2011, 8:12 pm Oh_Man Post #192

Quote from Pr0nogo
Again, I don't see why people prefer the opportunity to hand in incomplete assignments for generally less-than-half credit when they could have a system where a day extra allowed you to complete the assignment properly, and the assignment was graded with five to ten points off for the tardiness. That's just me, though.
Well here both options are available, they can hand in an incomplete or poor copy on the date, and avoid the tardiness deduction, or they can try and use those extra days to make the assignment as good as possible and get the tardiness deduction. It is really a choice between which you think will net you the better mark. Most people are too lazy and just want to hand the thing in and be done with it, so usually hand in poor/incomplete copies on the due date.

I assumed Demon would just get all the copies on the due date, complete or incomplete, and judge them. Then, people who want to keep working on their maps can do so in their own time. This has happened many times in other contests, and I just figured it would happen here as well. But really this is Demon's comp so if he wants to mark everything complete or no on the due date, or mark late submissions with tardiness penalties, I guess that's up to him.

Sep 14 2011, 8:16 pm DevliN Post #193

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

This is sort of getting off topic. Just wait for Dem0n to figure out what he wants to do.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 14 2011, 11:00 pm IskatuMesk Post #194

Lord of the Locker Room

Don't worry about it, guys. I've reconsidered my plans to contribute X4 to this contest on the grounds of uncouth behavior and little confidence in Demon's ability to judge the contest. When the natural response I get to a simple inquiry is,
Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
go die
And flagging my posts, I see where his priorities lay.

Sep 14 2011, 11:10 pm Dem0n Post #195

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

First of all, that was just a simple joking-trollish post. I didn't think you were actually doing this, so I didn't understand why you wanted me to extend the deadline. Also, even though you're asking for only two more days, I find it pretty ridiculous that you guys cannot complete what I encouraged to be only a short campaign in the time given. I would've thought that four weeks would have been enough time to make a short campaign; I even said anything two maps and beyond would suffice. I find it incredibly ludicrous (yes, I'm stealing Oh_Man's word) that you need over six weeks to complete this. I made my (shitty) 20-mission campaign for the cc.org contest in about six weeks, so it shouldn't take that much time for, once again, a short campaign. If it is your intention to submit a 30-mission campaign that details all three races of Starcraft, then this may be the wrong contest for you. While there's nothing wrong with it, it's certainly not the requirement. I guess I just don't see how six weeks to make a campaign for such a small contest like this isn't doable.

Also, I understand that many of you have school/work/social stuff that takes up most of your day, but I have those as well. I don't want to wait until the very end of September to judge these, especially when I've got so much stuff to do in the next month or so (SATs, college applications, etc...). Call it misplaced priorities, but as much as I love Starcraft, I don't want to devote almost two months to such a small contest.

Sep 14 2011, 11:13 pm IskatuMesk Post #196

Lord of the Locker Room

I don't make shitty 20 mission campaigns in six weeks. I'm sorry if that's what you were looking for in this contest. I'll take my business elsewhere. Good day to you, sir.

Sep 14 2011, 11:16 pm Dem0n Post #197

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm not saying that you do, but all I'm saying is that you don't need to make some giant campaign for this contest. Now that I think about it, I would assume that your project would include only a small number of maps with immense amount of detail and quality. But if you're striving for something as amazing as that, then you should just make because you want to. I don't want to keep extending the deadline until it's almost into October.

Sep 15 2011, 12:22 am Pr0nogo Post #198

So what's the verdict?

18th - expect six missions
20th - expect nine missions
:hurr:

Sep 15 2011, 12:24 am Dem0n Post #199

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You can turn it in on the 20th, but I'll have to deduct points from completion.. or something. :\

Sep 15 2011, 12:26 am Pr0nogo Post #200

Alright well I'll turn what I can in on the 18th and if I can actually get the last few maps in before the 20th I'll submit it then, leaving you a note to grade the additional content as well.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1216 >
  Back to forum