Aug 4 2011, 5:47 pm
By: newBorn  

Aug 4 2011, 5:47 pm newBorn Post #1

O L I G A R C H Y

Size : 128 x 192
Players: 6
Terrain : Jungle
EUD: No

By means of diplomacy, tactics, and worthwhile investments create your own oligarch empire, forcing every single of your opponents OUT of the market.
Oligarchy is a strategy game in which your main goal is to get filthy rich, and eliminate your opponents by making them go bankrupt.
You can achieve that by correct decisions, investing in correct places at correct times, and of course drilling for oil.

GAMEPLAY

INVESTMENT

Each player can invest their money into one of the 16 capital markets, each market has a diffrent return value indicated by a green number next to their name (i.e Moscow 10$), return value states how much you obtain per each investment per turn. If multiple players invested their money into the same market, they will fight over it, so in the end only one person can control one market. This of course means that a player has to choose, if he prefers to compete over a highly profitable market or just plant his money into a safer market with a very low return value.
Each player can have a maximum of 3 "Market Stock" per each market.

DRILLING FOR OIL

The map holds 12 Oil Fields, a player can plant Small Oil Wells (2 Barrels per turn) or Large Oil Wells (5 Barrels per turn) in these, a maximum of 3 small and 3 big wells is allowed per Oil Field for all players. Unlike the investment, oil is not a "stable" form of income, the price for 1 barrel of oil varies each turn, so a fully operational oil field owned strictly by you can bring you between 105 $ and 420 $ a turn..

There are more cons however ;)
Oil fields have limited deposits, this is marked by a mineral patch next to the field (it says how much barrels can be still excavated).
Also some Oil Fields are marked as Danger Zones (marked by red flags), which means that there is a huge probability of terrorist and sabouteur attacks on your wells, this can be overcome by hiring mercenaries to guard your installations.

All in all however oil wells cannot be moved or attacked by diffrent players like investments which is a huge advantage.

EVENTS

Events are a very important part of the gameplay, some events make Oil Fields that were earlier unavailable now open for drilling, while others can severely hurt your economy, by imposing taxes on you, or making terrorist attacks in the area more frequent.

FINAL NOTES

This map is 100% done, it misses an ingame tutorial thou, so if anyone want to have a test round to see it for their own eyes and eventually give some suggestions, i'm available on US East, nick: newBorn.

DOWNLOAD

Can now be hosted openly on BNET, spread this map as u like, hopefully it becomes popular.

EDIT: New version is now attached

Attachments:
Oligarchy.scx
Hits: 5 Size: 235.9kb

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Aug 7 2011, 10:07 am by newBorn.

None.

Aug 4 2011, 10:42 pm Raitaki Post #2

Looks awesome. Someone host it on donuts tomorrow.

None.

Aug 5 2011, 1:37 am Aristocrat Post #3

The irregular mapsize and terrain kind of bothers me, but who cares if it has good gameplay?

I will try this out when I get my hands on BroodWar again, but some criticism I must insert before that:
- Is there error-checking to prevent players from performing invalid actions with the shuttle? Is the game easy to break or can players do whatever they want without penalties for trying to break the game?
- Can market stocks from different players kill each other? They don't seem to have invul :P

None.

Aug 5 2011, 1:39 am Sacrieur Post #4

Still Napping

I actually want to play this too, I can host if I get around to port forwarding.

None.

Aug 5 2011, 1:51 am rayNimagi Post #5

I'd love to play this map.

Quote from Raitaki

donuts?

What channel will we meet in (USEast, right?) and what time? I can't host, but I'll join someone else's game.

Oh, and btw, newBorn, could you upload the map to the DLDB?

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Aug 5 2011, 1:57 am Aristocrat Post #6

Quote from rayNimagi
Quote from Raitaki

donuts?

The channel that we meet in, now that op SEN is being overrun by bots and spammers.

None.

Aug 5 2011, 7:54 am newBorn Post #7

Quote from Aristocrat
The irregular mapsize and terrain kind of bothers me, but who cares if it has good gameplay?

I will try this out when I get my hands on BroodWar again, but some criticism I must insert before that:
- Is there error-checking to prevent players from performing invalid actions with the shuttle? Is the game easy to break or can players do whatever they want without penalties for trying to break the game?
- Can market stocks from different players kill each other? They don't seem to have invul :P

* Correct, the map checks for any possible debilism a player can do, including but not limited to:
-Placing mercenaries in no danger - zones
-Trying to place Oil Well away from Oil Fields
-Placing Oil Wells in unavailable Oil Fields (like early Iraq)
Player who fails to do an action gets an instant refund, from a few games i had, the system never seem to bug out.

* Yeah, thats the entire point, players fight over markets, people can even plant more zerglings then allowed (3 max for income) but they wont get ++ money for any zergling above 3, yet this helps one keep a market under control.

P.S - Download is now available in the first post, its the beta version so be kind, alot of things will most likely be changed until official release.
P.S 2 - Wont upload it onto DLDB until official release version.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 5 2011, 1:04 pm by newBorn.

None.

Aug 5 2011, 11:16 am DevliN Post #8

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from newBorn
P.S 2 - Wont upload it onto DLDB until Alpha version.
Just FYI, "Alpha" is before "Beta".

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 5 2011, 9:46 pm samsizzle Post #9

Jus played this with newBorn... pretty fast-paced gameplay. This could get really really fun with more players.

None.

Aug 5 2011, 10:51 pm newBorn Post #10

OK!

So if anyone played this so far, here is the list of improvements that will be most likely done in the first official release:

REPUTATION SYSTEM
- Each player will be given 10 reputation points to start with, one will be able to do negative propaganda resulting in -1 reputation for all players but himself, or defend himself (+1 reputation.) Once u reach 0 reputation, the public opinion will want your head on a stick.
This will obviously replace the older "Accumulate 10 000 Mineral" thing

STOCK HEAL
- New Market Stock (zergling) will spawn with 66% hp (suggested by lethal), this will mean the longer ur market stock "is there" the stronger it is

LOWER INCOMES
- At the moment its easy to gain 5000 minerals and just spam investments and oil wells, making this game more of a micro type, i want this to change, and force people to think over every move.

UPGRADES
- Upgrades for Market Stock (zerglings)

MORE EVENTS

- I was surprised that the last game i played got so lenghty that half way throu it all the events in the game were finished, first release will have mucho more events, including bad and neutral ones (at the moment all events are positive)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 5 2011, 10:59 pm by newBorn.

None.

Aug 6 2011, 3:51 pm rayNimagi Post #11

So will there be an option to choose what "mode" to play the game in? Such as, either "Accumulate 5k minerals" or "Destroy your enemies' reputations", but everyone plays towards the same goal. The host would decide what mode everyone will play on at the beginning of the game.

By the way, don't put so many explosions in during wars. That lags the game. Just put a couple units around Iraq, or set the oil well on fire or something that doesn't lag the game.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Aug 6 2011, 3:58 pm lil-Inferno Post #12

Just here for the pie

Someone come to Op SEN and play this with me.

Aug 6 2011, 3:58 pm NicholasBeige Post #13

This sounds interesting in so far as that it's nearly identical to a project I've been working on in SC2...

However mine is set a little bit in the past and involves building an empire alongside an economy. I like your idea of events that take place and alter different options/regions available for players to exploit.

I'd be up for testing this if anyone else is around - just spam the shoutbox and I'll go go donuts.

None.

Aug 6 2011, 4:04 pm iCCup.xboi209 Post #14

It sounds very interesting but I still like the flash version of the game more :bleh:

None.

Aug 6 2011, 4:24 pm NicholasBeige Post #15

So me and Lil-Inferno just played it.

Hmm. Needs more. You have the terrain and scope of it being some epic diplo-type map, but the essential mechanic is get oil wells, get rich, spam zerglings.

Some ideas:

1. Do the Zerglings have to spawn at the bottom/left/right of the map? It seems like the actual terrain/view is small and is only used for displaying the cities (which are in their wrong geographical locations).
2. Why can't you have the zerglings spawning on the main terrain? That way it is easier to see who controls/dominates what markets, and who is fighting over them.
3. Upgrades for Zerglings.
4. Investments improve over time. 66% zerglings is good. Maybe they evolve into I dunno... something better? And eventually they turn into Firebats (meaning your investment is pretty much 100% safe in that location).

Anyways, it needs moar. It's far too shallow.

None.

Aug 6 2011, 9:36 pm Raitaki Post #16

Quote from name:xboi209
It sounds very interesting but I still like the flash version of the game more :bleh:
Lolz xboi, that and this are 2 completely different games ;o The other one is called Oiligarchy and is centered around oil, while this one's Oligarchy and focuses in both stocks and oil drilling ;o

None.

Aug 6 2011, 10:07 pm iCCup.xboi209 Post #17

oil and oil, they are the same!

None.

Aug 6 2011, 10:14 pm Raitaki Post #18

Oil and Oli. Oiligarchy is a pun, while Oligarchy is a real, meaningful noun :P I think it means a government run by rich corporations :P

None.

Aug 7 2011, 12:41 am Aristocrat Post #19

Quote from Raitaki
Oil and Oli. Oiligarchy is a pun, while Oligarchy is a real, meaningful noun :P I think it means a government run by rich corporations :P

It is a government run by a very small group of people. Nothing to do with corporations or oil.

None.

Aug 7 2011, 2:48 am iCCup.xboi209 Post #20

Quote from Raitaki
Lolz xboi, that and this are 2 completely different games ;o The other one is called Oiligarchy and is centered around oil, while this one's Oligarchy and focuses in both stocks and oil drilling ;o

None.

Options
  Back to forum