Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Oligarchy
Oligarchy
Aug 4 2011, 5:47 pm
By: newBorn  

Aug 7 2011, 3:26 am Raitaki Post #21

Quote from name:xboi209
Quote from Raitaki
Quote from name:xboi209
It sounds very interesting but I still like the flash version of the game more :bleh:
Lolz xboi, that and this are 2 completely different games ;o The other one is called Oiligarchy and is centered around oil, while this one's Oligarchy and focuses in both stocks and oil drilling ;o
So you want Sac to really put you in the shoes of an oligarch? :P

None.

Aug 7 2011, 8:27 am newBorn Post #22

Quote from name:Cardinal
So me and Lil-Inferno just played it.

Hmm. Needs more. You have the terrain and scope of it being some epic diplo-type map, but the essential mechanic is get oil wells, get rich, spam zerglings.

Some ideas:

1. Do the Zerglings have to spawn at the bottom/left/right of the map? It seems like the actual terrain/view is small and is only used for displaying the cities (which are in their wrong geographical locations).
2. Why can't you have the zerglings spawning on the main terrain? That way it is easier to see who controls/dominates what markets, and who is fighting over them.
3. Upgrades for Zerglings.
4. Investments improve over time. 66% zerglings is good. Maybe they evolve into I dunno... something better? And eventually they turn into Firebats (meaning your investment is pretty much 100% safe in that location).

Anyways, it needs moar. It's far too shallow.

1+2. Obviously aesthetics of the map is this reason. This would destroy the look of the map. Free roaming zerglings is a horrible idea also, i dont think i need to answer why ;p

Some cities might be in incorrect locations, but most of them are in right places, +/- 1,2 tiles, u have to understand its hard to do precise placing of 2x3 building in a small map, from what i know only 3 locations are slightly altered which are Rio De Janeiro (As it was previously Brasilia, but i changed the name as it fitted the "market" more), New York (same situation, it was previously named Washington), and of course Seoul (on the map its in north korea, althou it should be in south, but this is intended)

3+4. Stated in earlier post that i'm thinking about adding this (upgrades), althou evolving stocks is out of question, as they:
A) Would require me to do a complete rework of the system, and add at least 100 triggers, and i want to participate in the contest, so i need the map clean by today, as i'm going to the seaside on monday for vacation, and wont be able to polish it more before the contest (my girlfriend would probably kill me if i brought my laptop to the beach).
B) Would make people extremelly pissed, and cause confusion, this map already makes some heads hurt as it has an original gameplay hence people just dont know how to play it ;P

NEW VERSION:

Fixes:
- Players now cannot unally (perma - FFA)
- No more flying over "zergling" area
- Flag in Iraq moved so no more sharing mercenaries with Saudi Arabia
- Named Forces
- There is now a cap for mercenaries (No more cannot create error)
- + 1 Pylon for each player

Changes:
- Mercenary price changed to 15 $
- Reputation System implemented
- Incomes on Oil Wells lowered from 5-19 (Random) to 4-11 (Random)
- Renamed Starport from Economy to Action (fits more i think ;P)

P.S - New version is now out of Beta, and can be considered an official release, so from now on HOST this baby on bnet just as much as u can. Also i would be extremelly pleased if this topic would be moved to the Finished Maps forums

Post has been edited 9 time(s), last time on Aug 7 2011, 2:13 pm by newBorn.

None.

Aug 7 2011, 7:09 pm Raitaki Post #23

Suggestions:
+ Increase income from oil
+ Increase price of propaganda
+ Upgrading stockz
+ A message when game starts that summarizes the game mechanics

None.

Aug 9 2011, 4:52 am Sacrieur Post #24

Still Napping

It would be unethical to offer suggestions, but I am using the version posted on this thread at 11:59 PM 8/14 to judge. Not any older versions. I suggest doing as much as you can before then.

None.

Aug 14 2011, 7:51 pm newBorn Post #25

Understood, i just got back from a long weekend so no changes will be done until after the contest.

None.

Aug 16 2011, 5:20 am TiKels Post #26

Would be interesting if you designed a second game within the game where you were spending money gained from the economy to launch attacks at enemies. Or defend against waves of enemies? Kinda a like a bound and defend sort of deal where one area controls your economy while the other controls your defense (or offense?)

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 16 2011, 9:43 am newBorn Post #27

Currently there is a Reputation System, that was already in before i signed for the contest, basicly what it does is:

*Everyone starts with 10 Reputation
*Players can launch Propaganda Attacks or do Positive PR
*Propaganda Attack is done by building a wraight (350 minerals), after u use it, all players besides you will lose 1 Reputation point.
*Positive PR is done by building a dropship (400 minerals), after u use it, you receive 1 Reputation point.
*Player who reaches 0 Reputation ends up with an instant lose
*Last player to have any reputation points is the winner

I like the idea of Defence type game (perhaps a line tower wars) inside the map, but i'm not quite sure where i can place it, as the map is already filled in most major spots.

As for changes that will come in the next version that i'm quite certain will be there:
- Money will be displayed similiar to reputation.
- The players will keep vision when they lose, so they can observe
- A tutorial will be implemented (P1 can choose if he wants the tutorial or not similiar to how in Diplo Phantom u choose the mod u want)
- A little more income for Oil (instead of 4-11 a barrel, 7-14 a barrel)
- Upgrades for Zerglings
- In reputation system, each time a player is eliminated all players will receive a +2 Reputation bonus.

P.S - I would love any hints on how to make the Gameplay better.

None.

Aug 20 2011, 3:15 pm x-EnAlex Post #28

Oligarchy: My review of it
Pros:
1: Interesting concepts, I really love the revolutions when they happen.
2: I like the system of shuttles, been a while since I got to use a shuttle as a main unit.
3: The money system is evened out, where there are 2 paths of investment you can take.
4: The oil well ideas are good, but the terrorist idea is was great, making one path riskier and making another path easier.
5: Reputation, nice concept if you think about it.
Cons:
1: There should be a mercenary limit on oil wells.
2: It's like a curb-stomp battle later, where everyone rushes for London for some strange reason (It happened in all of my games, spam zerglings inside London)
(Short message of "2:" : The late game is horribly repetitive and boring.
3: Barely any of the "diplomacy" in my opinion, because at the end of the turn, as long as there are 2 investors, someone is going to want someone dead.

Review: Oligarchy is a strange map that came out of nowhere, but the thing is these maps sometimes create a revolutionary game play style inside the starcraft community.
The gameplay: The gameplay, in my opinion, was devised of two paths for a race for a certain amount of money, where one path was a risky shot, while the other was a safer route.
Competition: *Sighs* This game almost defines competition, trying to buy and overwhelm your friends by buying more investments, usually ending up in a war of zerglings for a city.
Lasting style: This was fun at the start of the map, where you had to derive which path you're going to go, which area you are going to start at, and which city or oil field in that area you will start at.
Recommendation: This is something everyone can't do, but the thing is, I don't know which type of player should play this. It is almost like games where you don't know which category it's in.

Suggestions:
1: Not upgrading stocks, but upgrading cities so they give more income for you?
2: Upgrading oil wells so you can increase the limit for yourself.
3: Limit mercenaries, too much of them in my opinion.
4: Try to find a way to make endgame... more interesting please, because in late game, the game becomes, no offence, boring as watching paint dry.
5: Make it so one player can control the oil field by making mercenaries fight and kill each other for control of the oil field.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 20 2011, 4:46 pm by x-EnAlex.

None.

Aug 20 2011, 3:24 pm Raitaki Post #29

....You don't need to kill mercs?

None.

Aug 23 2011, 4:13 am rayNimagi Post #30

Quote from TiKels
Would be interesting if you designed a second game within the game where you were spending money gained from the economy to launch attacks at enemies. Or defend against waves of enemies? Kinda a like a bound and defend sort of deal where one area controls your economy while the other controls your defense (or offense?)
If you want to make a bound/defense map, don't make Oligarchy into that. The good thing about this game is that it's unique. Make a new map if you want to go this route, and allow the rest of us to play Oligarchy in its original, unique state.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Options
  Back to forum