• Demon Altar
  • Cobalt Ore
  • Mythril Ore
  • Adamantite Ore
  • Hellstone (Only when Hardmode is off)

Dec 25 2011, 7:53 pm Azrael Post #623

Quote from Heinermann
  • Hellstone (Only when Hardmode is off)

I hate this :massimo: They should change the recipe for Hellstone Bricks to additionally require adamantite ore, then make the bricks additionally explosion proof (while still maintaining their original look and damage).

Also, you'd think they would make the resulting bricks of bomb-proof ores also bomb-proof, since they require the ore.

Dec 25 2011, 9:47 pm The Starport Post #624

Plus the hell biome is now suddenly a (somewhat) pleasant place.

None.

Dec 25 2011, 10:43 pm Dem0n Post #625

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

tux where'd you take our wimminz? >:O

Dec 26 2011, 9:04 am Azrael Post #626

Alright, so Tux has pointed out to me that a server like this exists. I can't help but think how amazing it would be if we had our own world like this. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to manage this, but I figured I'd throw it out there for Shady to take a look at and see how feasible it is.

The most important features being:

• Mediumcore enforced.
  • Piggy banks and safes completely banned.
  • Cannot connect with any non-starter items in inventory.
  • PvP always enabled.
  • Ability to use gold to purchase a limited region of space in which only you can affect blocks.

Another good addition, which is apparently also included, is some functionality to sell items to other players within the space you purchased (through NPC or server commands or something). I saw this, although I'm unsure if it's for this specifically (since I don't know how a player would add items to their store's inventory via this method): "/ss buy [item name or id] [amount] – buy an item from the shop you are in. Check the signs in each shop to see what is sold."

It talks about buying locked chests as well, but I think if it would be possible to purchase a locked chest, it should be limited to only one (two max, same size as player inventory), and of course such a chest could only be inside the region of space you have already purchased. Owning even just the initial 800x600 region of space in which no other player can add to, remove from, destroy, or otherwise edit the world within would make it simple enough to keep a stash of protected chests.

The thread I linked to is fairly descriptive in server rules and gameplay mechanics, so hopefully that is enough to get the gist of it. I don't really want to play with a bunch of randoms though, and I think pretty much anyone could thoroughly enjoy a world setup like this. Like I said though, I'm unsure of how difficult it'd be to make a world like this, or if it'd necessarily affect the other preexisting worlds which would still need to function as normal.

I look to Shady for the answers to these many questions and for the official word on this exciting possibility :kame:

Dec 26 2011, 7:05 pm Heinermann Post #627

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

[The above]
Well I don't think you can change NPC messages, so it would have to be some kind of command.

PvP always enabled might be interesting, but I really don't want to fight any of you guys.
The personal/locked chests thing is already implemented as the piggy bank and safe, I don't see why the former and ban is necessary (except for the custom currency thing).

The custom currency is probably to prevent farming for coins. I like the rank system and the shops, but I don't see any good way of implementing this (typing /commands to do every little thing is annoying).
Most of their "system" is NOT automated. If you want to purchase a protected area you need to specifically talk to an admin.

Overall it seems like a pretty good server, but I am not entirely interested in it.

[Ideas for our own]
  • NPC wars, summoning NPCs to kill the opposing NPCs (like desert strike for example, only max limit is 200, which sucks).
  • Change the spawning so that Wyverns only spawn near the ocean biome, wraiths only spawn below the caves, and clowns can't spawn near the spawn area.
  • AI players with random equipment and items that jump around and spam stuff while attempting to target actual players (these AI players can be given more than 1000 HP and/or mana and random permanent buffs too, of course they will be neutral with PvP enabled).

Dec 26 2011, 7:14 pm The Starport Post #628

PvP always enabled might be interesting, but I really don't want to fight any of you guys.
RAAAAAA I WANT YOUR TESTICLES IN MY COLLECTION!!!!1 :massimo:

Uh, I mean why not?

None.

Dec 26 2011, 8:34 pm Heinermann Post #629

Because I like playing as a collective team. Serve the hive? For the swarm? All bow before HitlThe Overmind!

Dec 26 2011, 8:50 pm The Starport Post #630

What about practicing to do a capture the gem game as a team? I'd work good for mindless, manic rushes against enemy defenses irregardless of personal safety. :awesome:

None.

Dec 27 2011, 1:17 am Azrael Post #631

Quote from Heinermann

PvP being enabled doesn't mean you have to fight everyone on sight lol. There would certainly be alliances and such, although the goal being to be the wealthiest player means that even allies will sometimes have conflicting interests.

Quote from Heinermann
The personal/locked chests thing is already implemented as the piggy bank and safe, I don't see why the former and ban is necessary (except for the custom currency thing).

1) Chest contents are saved server side, piggy bank and safe contents are saved client side.

2) Piggy bank and safe can be used to transfer items between worlds.

3) Piggy bank and safe can be used to transfer items between two different points in the same world.

4) Piggy bank and safe can be accessed by anyone, locked chests can only be accessed by you.

There are quite a few issues with allowing piggy banks or safes. In addition to those, the point is to have an economy local to the world, and even to regions within the world (needs to be on a large map of course). The desirability of a world like this would be completely undermined if anyone had access to a piggy bank or safe.

Quote from Heinermann
The custom currency is probably to prevent farming for coins. I like the rank system and the shops, but I don't see any good way of implementing this (typing /commands to do every little thing is annoying).

They aren't things you need to enter often. Especially for a shop, the commands wouldn't be inconvenient at all (in fact quite the opposite). These are also things which could be added later, they aren't necessary for the basic functionality of the world, since you can technically still trade with people, although not nearly as securely.

Quote from Heinermann
Most of their "system" is NOT automated. If you want to purchase a protected area you need to specifically talk to an admin.

Well, Shady is fairly active and we have maybe a dozen people here that play Terraria, and each time you expand the region the price grows exponentially. Assuming the system that allowed the admin to set an area to be protected was quick and easy to use (which I assume it is since they do it on this other server with a ton of people), this should be a minor and relatively infrequent occurrence anyways.

Dec 27 2011, 3:36 am CaptainWill Post #632

Or we could join that server as an SEN alliance. Although it would mean starting from scratch.

None.

Dec 27 2011, 3:55 am Dem0n Post #633

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Can we start from scratch? :awesome: I'm so far behind I can't even stay alive at night for than 30 seconds at a time. :hurr:

Dec 27 2011, 5:52 am ShadowFlare Post #634

The problem with the piggy bank and safe is tracking items. The server knows the contents of your inventory, but as far as I know it does not know the contents of your piggy bank or safe. Of course, it is possible to see if anyone has placed one of those or if the player is carrying one. Auto-removing placed piggy banks and safes would be a good thing for a capture the gem game, btw.

None.

Dec 27 2011, 4:28 pm Azrael Post #635

Quote from CaptainWill
Or we could join that server as an SEN alliance.

That would be a possibility, but there'd be a higher quality of gameplay in a world where the entirety of it is made and run by SEN members. That's why I was hoping it could be something we had in addition to the normal worlds, with a specific character we'd only use on that world. Of course there'd still be a normal worlds to mess around on the rest of the time.

Plus, the other server has a ton of traffic and a limited number of players who can be online at the same time.

It'd also be better to play on Shady's server since it tells you when people are on the other worlds. If a number of people are on one world and someone is on another, they could switch for the time being in order to play with the other people.

If this isn't possible to do in addition to the normal worlds though, then I guess that would be the way to do it.

Quote from CaptainWill
Although it would mean starting from scratch.

Well, we'd have to start from scratch on Shady's version too ^^

Quote from ShadowFlare
The server knows the contents of your inventory

I was reading through the posts in the thread, it looks like at some point they were tracking player inventories so people could leave and rejoin without dumping all their stuff in chests, but it was really exploitable. The main thing was that people could bring in duplicate items, but also people who didn't were about to die but didn't want to lose their stuff would just quit out of the game. That being the case, they quickly reverted back to the "you can never connect to the server with any non-starter equipment in your inventory".

From what I've read, the gameplay is better like that since it requires people to actually return to their home, or if they haven't been able to purchase land yet, to a chest they have hidden somewhere. It also stops people from quitting to save their stuff, since quitting has a 100% chance of inventory loss while any situation in-game has a lower chance of that. The one issue then is with disconnects, but that rarely happens anyways.

Dec 28 2011, 1:11 am ShadowFlare Post #636

I haven't gotten the new version decompiled yet, btw. It crashes at some point in the decompile now and I haven't bothered to manually copy and paste the other stuff yet.

None.

Dec 28 2011, 5:04 am Heinermann Post #637

I also got that crash. ILSpy worked though.

Azrael, I still don't see the point of replicating their server.
Let's come up with our own unique systems and then test them.

Dec 28 2011, 5:21 am Azrael Post #638

Quote from Heinermann
Azrael, I still don't see the point of replicating their server.

I didn't say anything about replicating their server, I'm talking about taking a few very specific points (listed above) and applying them to a new world populated by the people we play with already. It would create a really fun, interesting, engaging, dynamic, and overall unique experience.

I never said anything about having custom mobs, server currency, ranks, etc. The important things are literally just the very short list I posted above, those are the aspects which we could apply to a new server in order to make it amazing. I'd also consider adding to the list "disable hardmode" since I could see that making a world in which you're able to lose your gear upon death substantially less fun.

If it was relatively easy to do then there would be no reason not to, it's not like we only have one world at a time to work with. Any other systems could be applied to an additional world.

As a side note, most of the important things on that list (don't bring in outside items, don't use piggy bank/safe, use mediumcore character, etc) could simply be stated as rules for the new world in question. Since we have a relatively small playerbase, we could have a sign at the spawn explaining those rules and telling them to leave and come back with a mediumcore character. Assuming everyone abided by such an honor system, it'd end up with the same net result.

However, it'd be much better for many obvious reasons if it could be hardcoded (least of which being that people can accidentally forget to follow the rules), and the protected regions in which other players cannot edit the world would still need to be hardcoded regardless (since there's no easy way to mark an area as "protected" and it's far too tempting to edit it regardless).

In a worst case scenario, we could make a new world stating the previously mentioned rules, relying on the honor system, and simply disregard the "protected areas" aspect (although this would result in no one ever building anything worthwhile or setting up shops, etc). If someone can think of a way to easily replicate the protected area aspect without needing anything hardcoded, feel free to share it.

If it's just a matter of not wanting to put the time into looking into it, I could do the grunt work, find out about the mods used, collect the relevant information for setting such a world up, etc. I could host it myself, but again, it'd be much better to have it as one of Shady's worlds since we all play there anyways and all the worlds are linked to show when people are playing on the other ones.

If we could make a world like this, I am sure there would be no lack of interest.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 28 2011, 5:26 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Dec 28 2011, 6:33 am ShadowFlare Post #639

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
all the worlds are linked to show when people are playing on the other ones.
They aren't at the moment because I haven't decompiled 1.1.1 yet, but definitely would be before I'd get any other mods up.

None.

Dec 31 2011, 2:12 am ShadowFlare Post #640

There seems to have been a minor update, but it sounds unimportant and the client still connects, so I'm likely not going to update my server with it. I've heard it is only a fix having to do with disabling Santa after December ends.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 30 31 32 33 3436 >
  Back to forum