Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: SC2Mapster Network
SC2Mapster Network
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Apr 1 2011, 7:26 am
By: DevliN
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 69 >

Apr 1 2011, 9:04 pm DevliN Post #61

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Right, and all the trolls and tag-alongs (the people who don't have SC2) would probably be banned in an instant.

Also for anyone who still doesn't believe the legitimacy of "Sixen:"
http://www.staredit.net/224170/
http://www.staredit.net/224174/
http://www.staredit.net/224173/
http://www.staredit.net/228050/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:14 pm IskatuMesk Post #62

Lord of the Locker Room

What, you're telling me you don't have the power to database hack someone? You'll have to sell a lot harder than that to catch me, bro!

/giggle

Well, both sites have extremely lenient moderation. Any other website, except maybe Hive which is practically a zoo, would have certainly banned a lot of people by now. Which really begs the question of how such a concept would be a merge instead of an annex. Mapster doesn't even really facilitate the kind of content hierarchy that a "merger" implies. All content at mapster is openly hosted to anyone who posts there. All that would really occur is SEN would vanish and people who have power at SEN would then have power at mapster, while everyone else is then told to "post at mapster instead". So, this could basically be seen as SEN dissolving.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 1 2011, 9:17 pm DevliN Post #63

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Well I assure you, that is really him.

And essentially it is SEN dissolving. But we've been on that steady decline for a while now, so I figured I would help it occur a little sooner this way.

EDIT:
I have the power to get in our database and change details around, but I don't have the power to find someone's password and use it to post on their account. All jokes aside, I really can't do that.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:19 pm IskatuMesk Post #64

Lord of the Locker Room

What good is power if you can't turn people into pokemon?

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 1 2011, 9:22 pm DevliN Post #65

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Haha. Well in that sense, I can turn someone into a Pokemon, I just can't become them as a Pokemon.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:24 pm The Starport Post #66

Quote from Kaias
In lieu of SEN becoming a Starcraft 2 map making site, I will be shortly registering the domain KaiasBrood.net as a lounge for the remaining Broodwar mappers and nostalgic geysers out there.

We'll have 1 hour map making contests 24/7 and have Tuxedo-Templar's Mafia Map ported into an MMO Browser based game (but staying as true to the SC1 graphics as possible), hosted as an integral part of the site, with each member owning their own customizable homes from which to socialize and or hunt Mafia/Townspeople.
:wut:

None.

Apr 1 2011, 9:24 pm IskatuMesk Post #67

Lord of the Locker Room

You can't have them send themself a PM that says "i herd i liek mudkipz"?

Pah. You needed a real forum anyways. (Just don't use whatever the hell mapster is currently using, it's also terrible.)

Apr 1 2011, 9:27 pm DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from IskatuMesk
You can't have them send themself a PM that says "i herd i liek mudkipz"?

Pah. You needed a real forum anyways. (Just don't use whatever the hell mapster is currently using, it's also terrible.)
That I can do. :D

I suppose I could add posts through the sql database if I tried, but that seems like so much work and in this case I have no reason to.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:28 pm poison_us Post #69

Back* from the grave

I just realized something...we call it "SC2MapsterNetwork", and we thus imply that SEN will make ANY impact on the site at all. Who are we fooling? Blizzard sucked up other corporations, and didn't change its name. Why the hell is SC2Mapster pandering to this lost-cause community?

Apr 1 2011, 9:30 pm DevliN Post #70

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Vivendi bought Blizzard, and kept they were still "Blizzard." When it merged with Activision, it became "ActivisionBlizzard." We're basically doing the same thing.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:44 pm The Starport Post #71

What does mapster even do, anyway? I've kinda lost interest in community crap since maplantis went down.

None.

Apr 1 2011, 9:45 pm DevliN Post #72

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

They are the #1 Starcraft 2 mapmaking community. Essentially they are to SC2 what SEN was to SC1.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 9:57 pm Lanthanide Post #73

I really can't see any sensible justification in this move, if it is actually true. Off topic forums are frequently the most popular forums on many gaming websites, often making up 50% of all posts. So saying that SEN has an offtopic forum that is popular, and that is somehow bad, doesn't make a lot of sense. Sure, SEN sucks for SC2 map-making, so if you want to make SC2 maps, just go to Mapster. Nothing's stopping you from doing that now. By dissolving SEN, all you're really achieving is a dissolution of the community that has built up here, as well as a dissolution of the SC1 map-making expertise, as they won't have much of a place at the new site. In other words, there are no actual positives to come out of this, only negatives.

If you're serious about wanting to improve SEN and get new members, what you need to do is fix the shitty SQL errors all over the place. These turn newcomers right off, and piss off the regulars a lot as it is.

None.

Apr 1 2011, 10:05 pm DevliN Post #74

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

What is SEN's purpose right now, really? To say the off-topics forums are usually 50% is accurate, but on SEN they make up about 95% of our activity. Sure, you can say we aren't making many SC2 maps, but we also aren't really making SC1 maps either. What good is our SC1 expertise now?

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 1 2011, 10:14 pm The Starport Post #75

Map making activity isn't SEN's fault (though in some ways it hasn't helped...). It's Blizzard's.

None.

Apr 1 2011, 10:21 pm Lanthanide Post #76

Clearly all of the people continue to visit this site because they think the site has a purpose. If they didn't, they wouldn't visit. Just because the purpose to which the site is put doesn't match your lofty expectations (don't see you churning out the maps either, btw) doesn't mean you should be able to arbitrarily completely change something that other people are enjoying.

None.

Apr 1 2011, 10:27 pm IskatuMesk Post #77

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
What does mapster even do, anyway? I've kinda lost interest in community crap since maplantis went down.

Mapster itself doesn't do anything, really. A few guys post news. It was one of a billion sites that jumped up with sc2 hoping to ride the hype to fame and glory and is pretty much the only one standing after the dust settled, but the activity today is incomparable to the activity when sc2 came out. Almost all of the regular experienced dudes that were there seem to have moved on (to other games or whatnot). Literally no one I was talking to during my sc2 stress testing is there now.

Apr 1 2011, 10:37 pm The Starport Post #78

ic
Quote from Lanthanide
Clearly all of the people continue to visit this site because they think the site has a purpose. If they didn't, they wouldn't visit. Just because the purpose to which the site is put doesn't match your lofty expectations (don't see you churning out the maps either, btw) doesn't mean you should be able to arbitrarily completely change something that other people are enjoying.
Yeah. How dare you punish us mooks. :crazy:

None.

Apr 1 2011, 11:10 pm LoveLess Post #79

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

It's cute how you added the globe to his name as a header. Too bad if you click on his profile, it shows through the lies.

Also, if this happened, I would revive Maplantis. Fuck SC2M.

None.

Apr 1 2011, 11:10 pm Sixen Post #80

Quote from IskatuMesk
You'd have been more convincing if you had actually gotten the real Sixen to make a post on SC2mapster in regards to this. But as it is, it's business as usual. So, no dice bro.

I respect the lunge at power, though.
It's really me. #sc2modding, who else would know about that? :P.

Quote from IskatuMesk
Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar

Mapster itself doesn't do anything, really. A few guys post news. It was one of a billion sites that jumped up with sc2 hoping to ride the hype to fame and glory and is pretty much the only one standing after the dust settled, but the activity today is incomparable to the activity when sc2 came out. Almost all of the regular experienced dudes that were there seem to have moved on (to other games or whatnot). Literally no one I was talking to during my sc2 stress testing is there now.
Hey now, I wouldn't go that far. You know how many hours of work I put in just gather to people prior to the GalaxyEditor being released, so we had some sort of foundation? Lots. There weren't very many sites that sprung up, and Mapster was the first, which is why it did so well. At the time, my only competition was Nibbits, and that was because they were hosting cracks/hacks, whereas I was legit. I'm really the only one who posts news now, but there are still dozens of people who post tutorials, ask questions, answer questions, etc. Most of the regular experienced users are still around either the IRC or the Forums, and i'm still getting in the 100k+ unique users per month... So at the very least people are reading news, :P. Though you are partially correct. Just after release, traffic was up in the 200k's.

Quote from LoveLess
It's cute how you added the globe to his name as a header. Too bad if you click on his profile, it shows through the lies.

Also, if this happened, I would revive Maplantis. Fuck SC2M.
I'm guessing you don't own and don't plan on owning SC2? The few. The proud. The stubborn.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 69 >
  Back to forum