Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: ONE HOUR MAPMAKING CONTEST!
ONE HOUR MAPMAKING CONTEST!
Mar 26 2011, 9:36 pm
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

May 6 2011, 6:33 pm lil-Inferno Post #61

Just here for the pie

Quote from CecilSunkure
I have an idea. How about we have a "base map" like the skeleton framework for a fun say 2v2 game or something. Then, everyone receives a copy of the base map, and the goal of the contest is to expound upon it and make as fun of a variant as possible. Contestants will have say 10 minutes to look over the triggers, then an hour to develop. Does this sound fun?

The frame map could be a 2v2 game, or maybe a 2 player defense game, whatever we decide.
It's a good idea but seems a bit too narrow. The possibilities aren't broad enough as everything would have to be 2v2 or whatever. We could try it some time but for now the "make a map in an hour" or whatever time limit thing works.

May 6 2011, 6:47 pm DevliN Post #62

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from samsizzle
Quote from DevliN
Perhaps it would if I replace "fine minerals from anyone" with "ban." :lol:

The reason I like the map switching idea over everyone making their own map is because it is something different and allows us to get a lot of people involved. Otherwise it seems like it would be the same as any other month or week-long contest we host that people say they'll participate in and forget about.
Or it would just totally fuck the contest because people wouldn't be motivated enough to work on someone elses map.
Then they shouldn't enter the contest, as they'd know what they are getting themselves into.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 6 2011, 8:52 pm LoveLess Post #63

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from CecilSunkure
I have an idea. How about we have a "base map" like the skeleton framework for a fun say 2v2 game or something. Then, everyone receives a copy of the base map, and the goal of the contest is to expound upon it and make as fun of a variant as possible. Contestants will have say 10 minutes to look over the triggers, then an hour to develop. Does this sound fun?

The frame map could be a 2v2 game, or maybe a 2 player defense game, whatever we decide.
It's a good idea but seems a bit too narrow. The possibilities aren't broad enough as everything would have to be 2v2 or whatever. We could try it some time but for now the "make a map in an hour" or whatever time limit thing works.
Personally I like Cecil's idea. We just need to restructure it. How about a Role Playing Defense, like how Pirate/Siege Dyne was? There aren't enough of those type of maps.

None.

May 6 2011, 8:59 pm lil-Inferno Post #64

Just here for the pie

Quote from LoveLess
Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from CecilSunkure

Personally I like Cecil's idea. We just need to restructure it. How about a Role Playing Defense, like how Pirate/Siege Dyne was? There aren't enough of those type of maps.
We could experiment with it one time, but who will make the base?

PS: I added everyone's maps from previous contests to the first post. I only have three maps from the last one so gimme gimme.

May 6 2011, 9:05 pm DevliN Post #65

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah I like Cecil's idea as well. Theoretically we can ask people to make different maps of just terrain in our Terrain forum, and one week we can use one, another we can use a different one. It could be interesting doing it that way. It would be an interesting take on our usual themes, as in this case the theme would just be the terrain. It would be like Iron Chef SEN. :awesome:

My Overwatch addiction.

May 6 2011, 9:22 pm CecilSunkure Post #66

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from LoveLess
Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from CecilSunkure

We could experiment with it one time, but who will make the base?

PS: I added everyone's maps from previous contests to the first post. I only have three maps from the last one so gimme gimme.
I'll make the base, but we need to brainstorm a design for the base. We want something that will be open-ended, but it has to be a simple and elegant design that has a fun core gameplay mechanic. I suggest support for 2-4 players with the base. Gogogo design ideas!

EDIT: However I don't have time to do the terrain per se... Could we can Sam to do the base terrain?

None.

May 6 2011, 9:27 pm LoveLess Post #67

...?

Oh wow, that needs to be fixed. :/

None.

May 6 2011, 9:32 pm DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

We should probably figure out what the base is for, first, as that would basically determine what people would have to make. Supporting 2-4 players is good, but 2-4 players in a defense map will look different than an open RPG which will look different than some small arena. Not to say we need to force people to make 1 type of map, but essentially that may be what this turns into. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

May 6 2011, 9:32 pm Jack Post #69

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I vote that if we do cecil's idea, it's on a friday and goes for two hours. Some time around say 6pm EST? But the take-a-map and mod it then see what the next person does sound pretty cool as well :()

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 6 2011, 9:36 pm Apos Post #70

I order you to forgive yourself!

Someone should make some sort of google docs [staredit / scmdraft]. That way, we can all work on the same map doing different things at the same time on the same file and in real time (A big collaboration)(Whatever that meant...). :cool:

May 6 2011, 9:48 pm UnholyUrine Post #71

To take someone's map basics and change it is not a bad idea, but there's a lot of pot holes to it...

first.. it may limit a lot of things, as terrain is usually the first thing I think about when I do a map..
second.. it may not be creative at all...

but then again, we can try it...

Oh and.. .erm
This Sunday is actually a bad idea because it's MOTHER'S DAY
Now I don't know if you have a mom...
but that's pretty important lmao

None.

May 6 2011, 9:53 pm The Starport Post #72

Plus working with someone else's triggers is usually pure :massimo: for me.

None.

May 6 2011, 10:04 pm DevliN Post #73

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Plus working with someone else's triggers is usually pure :massimo: for me.
That's why I liked the original idea of switching maps so that one person does terrain, then the next does unit placement, then the next does triggers.

Quote from Apos
Someone should make some sort of google docs [staredit / scmdraft]. That way, we can all work on the same map doing different things at the same time on the same file and in real time (A big collaboration)(Whatever that meant...). :cool:
The issue with that, though, is that then ceases to be a contest and is instead a community map. We don't need any more community map projects. :-_-:

My Overwatch addiction.

May 6 2011, 10:09 pm LoveLess Post #74

I just like the idea of everyone starting off with the same thing and then we submit the results of us working off that exact same thing. So say the base map is some terrain and we have to all use that terrain to make a map under a certain guideline, like Defense or Short RPG. That's what I thought Cecil meant.

None.

May 6 2011, 10:11 pm Jack Post #75

Quote from LoveLess
I just like the idea of everyone starting off with the same thing and then we submit the results of us working off that exact same thing. So say the base map is some terrain and we have to all use that terrain to make a map under a certain guideline, like Defense or Short RPG. That's what I thought Cecil meant.
How about Arena map? And the terrain could have multiple arenas maybe. I'm happy to make one of the arenas ;o Then mappers can choose how many players and everything.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 6 2011, 10:12 pm UnholyUrine Post #76

Hmmm
But Does this "Same thing" HAVE to be a map terrain?

I mean.. it could just be an Idea.. or Theme... or a character... or maybe a person with a set of abilities...
Or maybe just random words...
Maybe based on a set number of triggers or having to use certain units...

... hmmmmmm

None.

May 6 2011, 10:16 pm LoveLess Post #77

Quote from UnholyUrine
Hmmm
But Does this "Same thing" HAVE to be a map terrain?

I mean.. it could just be an Idea.. or Theme... or a character... or maybe a person with a set of abilities...
Or maybe just random words...
Maybe based on a set number of triggers or having to use certain units...

... hmmmmmm
That doesn't really differ from the contests we hold. Oh wait, you wouldn't know about those since you are never in them.

None.

May 6 2011, 11:45 pm lil-Inferno Post #78

Just here for the pie

How about we use Ideatron and a person is selected to the phrase and they gotta make a map about it?

May 6 2011, 11:46 pm Jack Post #79

Quote from lil-Inferno
How about we use Ideatron and a person is selected to the phrase and they gotta make a map about it?
nothx. ;o

Red classic.

May 7 2011, 1:53 am UnholyUrine Post #80

Ideatron

Holy shit this thing is awesome
I'm srs

I got "Butchers Hammering Flaming Punk Rockers" on my first try
this shit's gold

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum