Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: ONE HOUR MAPMAKING CONTEST!
ONE HOUR MAPMAKING CONTEST!
Mar 26 2011, 9:36 pm
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >

May 5 2011, 9:00 am Sacrieur Post #21

Still Napping

Quote from payne
Know what? There should be a "huge contest" called on the front page, with a relatively big prize, which would be called something like "SC1: Nostalgia".
It'd be a great call for all the SEN members to actually get to do a little thing. I believe a lot of the members still lurking around here never submitted even one single map.
It could turn out to be a really nice and friendly contest. :3

I'd definitely participate.

Note: The idea here really is to actually try to get everyone to submit something, even the most ridiculously crappy map ever made.
It'd be a nice little peek of mapping activity.

Oh me and my megalomutopian ideas. T_T

Fastest was already made? :ermm:

I'd love to put together a map of trigger squad AI, using a priority system I had planned out. I've also considered a collision detection system that works pretty simply... Sort of.

None.

May 5 2011, 10:21 pm Dem0n Post #22

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I think it'd be easy to get a bunch of SENners to participate in a contest. There were a bunch of people in the contest yesterday that weren't even on SEN, so we'd be able to get them plus some of our own to form quite a large number of participants.

May 5 2011, 11:13 pm lil-Inferno Post #23

Just here for the pie

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
I think it'd be easy to get a bunch of SENners to participate in a contest. There were a bunch of people in the contest yesterday that weren't even on SEN, so we'd be able to get them plus some of our own to form quite a large number of participants.
How many total showed up? On my count there were, I think, 7 actual participants, and 10 people or so that showed up. Overall it was successful but I couldn't stay post-mapping, so I need all of the participants' maps. I imagine this could turn into a monthly, tri-weekly, or just random thing.

May 5 2011, 11:20 pm samsizzle Post #24

Here's mine.

Attachments:
Zen.scx
Hits: 3 Size: 43.95kb

None.

May 5 2011, 11:32 pm CecilSunkure Post #25

Quote from samsizzle
Here's mine.
Will play when get home! ^^

None.

May 5 2011, 11:33 pm DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from payne
Know what? There should be a "huge contest" called on the front page, with a relatively big prize, which would be called something like "SC1: Nostalgia".
It'd be a great call for all the SEN members to actually get to do a little thing. I believe a lot of the members still lurking around here never submitted even one single map.

Note: The idea here really is to actually try to get everyone to submit something, even the most ridiculously crappy map ever made.

What would people be scored on? What would the theme be? What would the time limit be?

We had the weekly contests that only a handful of people joined, and conversely we currently have the year-long contest that a ton of people have joined.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 5 2011, 11:41 pm UnholyUrine Post #27

I think it'd be best to just make a poll and have people vote for their fav map.

Judging usually takes too long and may be biased anyway.. and from previous contests, judging usually fails pretty hard ><"

None.

May 6 2011, 12:16 am lil-Inferno Post #28

Just here for the pie

Quote from DevliN
Quote from payne

What would people be scored on? What would the theme be? What would the time limit be?

We had the weekly contests that only a handful of people joined, and conversely we currently have the year-long contest that a ton of people have joined.
The year long RPG contest takes care of a huge contest, albeit I don't see too many people submitting a completed work. I liked the weekly contests, though. If we could rally up participation they'd be a lot better, but I loved the short story contest because not only did it have a good theme but there was also a peak amount of participation. Judging shouldn't even be done, especially by assigned judges that never get to judging. The community should just be like OH I LIKE INFERNO'S MAP and then we move on to the next contest. One hour/two hour contests or whatever are good, but usually there are lots of joke submissions or just very, very low quality submissions. I like them though, they're a lot of fun and in my opinion their purpose is to bring ideas to the table rather than a high quality map. A week is just enough time to make a somewhat good map as previous contests have shown us.

May 6 2011, 12:43 am Apos Post #29

I order you to forgive yourself!

Here is my suggestion:
  • Make a 1 hour contest ever week.
  • The first week, you make a map for 1 hour.
  • All the following weeks, everyone exchange their maps and you work on someone else's map.
  • Then, you see how each map evolves from weeks to weeks.

Simple enough? Should I explain in more details?

May 6 2011, 12:47 am LoveLess Post #30

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Apos
Here is my suggestion:
  • Make a 1 hour contest ever week.
  • The first week, you make a map for 1 hour.
  • All the following weeks, everyone exchange their maps and you work on someone else's map.
  • Then, you see how each map evolves from weeks to weeks.

Simple enough? Should I explain in more details?
Why weekly? We could do this daily, it doesn't require full participation.

None.

May 6 2011, 12:48 am lil-Inferno Post #31

Just here for the pie

Although an interesting idea I can't see it happening. People have too differing of mapping styles to ever collaborate with triggers, and I know this from trying to work with Samsizzle in the past.

EDIT: Actually the map would evolve from this... but I can see a lot of people unwilling to do it.

May 6 2011, 1:05 am UnholyUrine Post #32

I'm sort of in the
"Let's just try it" mode...

Lil-inferno, let's host another one hour mapping contest this weekend.
If you need help, just ask!

GO GO GO

None.

May 6 2011, 1:31 am LoveLess Post #33

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from lil-Inferno
Although an interesting idea I can't see it happening. People have too differing of mapping styles to ever collaborate with triggers, and I know this from trying to work with Samsizzle in the past.

EDIT: Actually the map would evolve from this... but I can see a lot of people unwilling to do it.
You know I can relate to this more than anyone. Most people have structure to their maps... I don't.

But I would like to give it a shot, might be fun.

None.

May 6 2011, 1:58 am DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'm interested in trying this, but I've gotten so used to how SC2 mapmaking works. This will be an interesting backwards transition.

My Overwatch addiction.

May 6 2011, 2:08 am Dem0n Post #35

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You'll have fun working with hypers and wait blocks and everything. >:D

May 6 2011, 3:04 am samsizzle Post #36

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from samsizzle
Here's mine.
Will play when get home! ^^
Its a bit lame... also multiplayer. It'd probably be best public.

None.

May 6 2011, 3:07 am Apos Post #37

I order you to forgive yourself!

Make a contest called: Make as much maps as you can in X amount of time! (And hope one of them is good.)

May 6 2011, 3:33 am samsizzle Post #38

actually I'm gonna have to agree with UnholyUrine... Day long contests sound best to me.

None.

May 6 2011, 3:52 am payne Post #39

:payne:

Quote from samsizzle
actually I'm gonna have to agree with UnholyUrine... Day long contests sound best to me.
Let's do this this Sunday! :awesome:

My point by "get everyone to join" was to try to get some people that aren't usually mapping (I'm thinking of people like Kame here) to actually try their hand at least once at creating a small map. :>

None.

May 6 2011, 3:59 am DevliN Post #40

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That would require Kame to have StarCraft. Or know how to make a map in general.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 48 >
  Back to forum