Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Diablo - Mortal Shroud
Diablo - Mortal Shroud
Feb 10 2011, 1:00 am
By: Ahli
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 1454 >

Apr 15 2011, 9:06 am h1234 Post #221

for me this map hasn't any future, i played it and it looks not so good, better would be diablo 1 placed in space, just make new game based on diablo 1.

None.

Apr 15 2011, 11:17 am Ahli Post #222

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from h1234
for me this map hasn't any future, i played it and it looks not so good, better would be diablo 1 placed in space, just make new game based on diablo 1.
- What's bad about it?
- If I should make diablo based on another theme, you state that only the theme sucks. In addition, there is already a Diablo game with a little bit more Space theme made by Egodbout on sc2mapster.

I wasn't ingame with you (because I crashed :X ), so you had to explore everything yourself. Maybe that explains some of your opinions.
Without clarifications your feedback is pretty much useless.

edit:
news:
-fixed a bug that created monsters without names in dungeon level 4
-stats screen shows most stats colored, if changed with magic items

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 15 2011, 4:03 pm by Ahli.

Apr 16 2011, 1:19 pm h1234 Post #223

I know your huge work, and time you invested in this map, but, its hard to control unit, attacking etc, enemies are ugly, i dont feel diablo in this map. UI is advanced i know, but it isn't simple, clear .. I liked this diablo rpg from starcraft 1 it was fun, and well made, but this i dont like.

None.

Apr 16 2011, 3:15 pm Ahli Post #224

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from h1234
I know your huge work, and time you invested in this map, but, its hard to control unit, attacking etc, enemies are ugly, i dont feel diablo in this map. UI is advanced i know, but it isn't simple, clear .. I liked this diablo rpg from starcraft 1 it was fun, and well made, but this i dont like.

my Controls:
- Left click and shift / right click
- Spell is right click / pressing 1 to 5 / F1 to something for hotkeys (not fully implemented yet)
-> default Diablo 2 controls with a small addition
HINT: Everythime you are in combat, hold down your shift key and target into the direction of an enemy. The enemy detection in shift mode nearly detects in an arc of 180 degrees. So it is fairly easy to melee, too.
- Press ALT to display item names on the ground.
- Press I or C to toggle inventory and character stats window.
- Press ESC to close opened windows.
- Press 1 to 5 to use potions/activate some scrolls/spells.

SC1 controls:
- a + left click
- use a hotkey and another one to cast a spell / click on a unit inside a dropship (I don't know how exactly it is made in the map you are refering to)
- if it was made horrible, you have to move units to beacons to use.

There might be a small lag, but the lag is existent in SC1, too (just smaller). You get used to the lag after a short time and I can't do something about it.
In editor testings the controls are instant but that cannot be achieved by the current battle.net system. But I guess they could improve the key and button press detection delay in bnet because the unit orders do not lag.

UI interaction:
- Everything is triggered with left click (sadly because of lack of right click detection on buttons). Right clicking buttons would be a great addition for the editor capacity.
-Grabbing an item in inventory is equal, setting it back to another slot is different because I can't change the cursor to the item. So I'm using the top left edge as an anchor for placement. The color shows, if it is placeable at a specific space.
-Dropping items: yes, it is strange and sucks at start.
-Selling items: yes, it is a little bit different because of the lack of right click, but I've never used the right click selling in D2. Grabbing and placing the item somewhere in the merchant's inventory is the other way how you could sell something in D2.
Since I needed a repair, too. The window might look different at Griswold because there is the repair option, too. Just force yourself to click on the upper area of the inventory and you won't accidentally repair items instead of selling.
-Repair all button has been added -> cool
-Quit button for every dialog -> I've added one to the inventory in my latest version.
-grouping items at merchant: equal to D2. There is only the movement of all items, after you bought an item. Maybe I will change this one day, but atm, it was the easiest and most efficient solution.
-Spell menus are equal to D2 or D1. I will add a whole spell window in which you can define hotkeys and place spells in the "belt" area.
-I've had someone dropping items instead of selling them, but that happened only once.

Quote from h1234
enemies are ugly
- This might be the case, but I've tried to come close to the original one which I achieved as far as I can now I think.
There aren't many models for sc2, yet. But I've used some WoW models that are going into the direction and I've tinted the monsters to differ their type and strength. The tinting was made in D1 and D2, too. Monsters in D1 were very colorful sometimes.

Quote from h1234
i dont feel diablo in this map.
I feel more diablo in this map than in any other diablo map I've ever played. Most maps I've played only have names... nothing more. SC1's mapping capacity is very limited and because of that you can't really compare Diablo with a SC1 map without the map having very huge workarounds. I've hit SC1's trigger limit with my SC1 try. Mainly because I've tried to simulate arrows and detailed combat formulas like chance to hit in SC1 which doesn't support all basic math in triggers or copying values directly. In addition I've created an item system similar to diablo, too (random magic items which have durability and need to be repaired).

Thx for the more in depth feedback. Sadly none of your points made me think about changing something because I'm limited to something or I've already tried my best.
In addition, comparing my map to a SC1 map instead of D1 or D2 is really strange and makes me wonder, if you have played Diablo at all.

Apr 17 2011, 8:30 am Tempz Post #225

At a curiosity did you add a tutorial? maybe that's what his gripe is about... shift key = targeting = important to know.

None.

Apr 17 2011, 1:30 pm Raitaki Post #226

Quote from Tempz
At a curiosity did you add a tutorial? maybe that's what his gripe is about... shift key = targeting = important to know.
He didn't think a tutorial (or at least including the part about the shift key) wasn't necessary, since D1 people use Shift a lot?

None.

Apr 17 2011, 2:48 pm Ahli Post #227

Quote from Raitaki
Quote from Tempz
He didn't think a tutorial (or at least including the part about the shift key) wasn't necessary, since D1 people use Shift a lot?
Seems like I have to give all control hints step by step to the player in the end. For testing purpose I was so kind and made 3 hints. 2 of them contain testing commands (cheats & save). The other one states all usable keys and their function.

Or a "Press F12 (Help Menu) to look up for control explanations.".

Apr 21 2011, 5:01 am payne Post #228

:payne:

Any updates? :)

None.

Apr 21 2011, 8:26 am Ahli Post #229

Quote from payne
Any updates? :)
no because I'm busy with university and good weather.

Apr 26 2011, 1:53 am Ahli Post #230

news:
- "Ahhh, fresh meat!" A famous quest has been implemented.
- Townspeople can now talk about quests
- Townspeople have a speech bubble over their head, if they have an important quest talk to do
- Chosen quests are random within their groups (e.g. you get Leoric or poisoned water supply quest, never both).
- Quests update for every player synchronous. I will add a quests page where you can read the latest important speech regarding each quest. Atm 1 player can activate the quest and get the whole speech and the other players can't read it.
- Quest rewards aren't unique specified items like in the original. You get a non-cursed magical item now like that famous enemy drops a magic axe on death.

Apr 30 2011, 12:13 am Tempz Post #231

So are there any changes to cursed items because i miss playing with beyond naked mage style (playing with only non beneficial items) this was really fun trying to kill diablo while your heavily burdened.

None.

Apr 30 2011, 1:06 am Ahli Post #232

Quote from Tempz
So are there any changes to cursed items because i miss playing with beyond naked mage style (playing with only non beneficial items) this was really fun trying to kill diablo while your heavily burdened.
That would be possible and not recommended. :D
What do you think I could have done to allowing the player to use items that harm himself?

I'm currently working slowly on Leoric's Lair.
I need a grating model. So a wall tile that allows to be shot through but not to be walked through.
And an idea for objects that work as hidden levers like opening secret rooms and a lever model.

Apr 30 2011, 1:27 am Raitaki Post #233

Quote from Ahli
Quote from Tempz
That would be possible and not recommended. :D
What do you think I could have done to allowing the player to use items that harm himself?
Yaaaaaaay cursed mages shall return <3 *does the cat daddy*

None.

May 5 2011, 12:49 pm Tempz Post #234

If you read his last post he questions the idea so maybe not so much...

None.

May 5 2011, 2:11 pm Ahli Post #235

Quote from Tempz
If you read his last post he questions the idea so maybe not so much...
basically, I will try to make it more difficult that that will not happen. :)
In D1 only the start as a sorcerer was difficult. After you got some spell levels, you rocked everything, if you had enough mana because the Sorcerer only relies on Magic (to read books & holy bolt) & Mana & Spell Levels. Strength, Dexterity, Vitality had little use.

Diablo spawned some strange tournament ideas like ironman (do not go back to town and travel as deep as you can without dieing).
I've heard some people did that in D2, too.

May 11 2011, 4:35 am payne Post #236

:payne:

New stuff to announce? :awesome:

None.

May 11 2011, 9:51 am Ahli Post #237

Quote from payne
New stuff to announce? :awesome:
No, I'm busy and university currently drains my creative power. :(

May 11 2011, 12:28 pm NicholasBeige Post #238

You can at least reply to my private message :P

I got it to 'almost' work. Had to use a work-a-round method where I replace the wall with another wall-unit that handles the detection and behaviours for explosion. I can't figure out how to get the Seeker Beam model to display correctly, every actor message I try gives the error 'is this model hosted or attached?'

None.

May 11 2011, 12:49 pm Ahli Post #239

Quote from name:Cardinal
You can at least reply to my private message :P

I got it to 'almost' work. Had to use a work-a-round method where I replace the wall with another wall-unit that handles the detection and behaviours for explosion. I can't figure out how to get the Seeker Beam model to display correctly, every actor message I try gives the error 'is this model hosted or attached?'
I've not worked with beams, yet. Devourer kept asking me about beams, too.
I can only advice you to read some beam tutorials on sc2mapster and try to understand how everything is connected.

I've just noticed that the patch made my wounded/slain townsman disappear (I somehow hate patches. Everytime something breaks).
Currently I'm making a door for the butcher's room and hopefully place some blood/corpse doodads in and around the room.
But first I need to add the door functionality and fix all bugs that the patch brought to me.

edit:
ok somehow it works again.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 11 2011, 12:57 pm by Ahli.

May 11 2011, 1:38 pm NicholasBeige Post #240

That was where I made the mistake, but the model itself is just a laser-line. Not beam-related as such. I figured I can adjust the scale to make it the length it needs to be, but I can't get the rotation sorted.

My custom ui layout is nearly complete though... was a definite learning curve how to edit .sc2layout files but definitely worth it :)

Let me know if you want to test diablo at some point this week, it's been ages - I want to see how everything looks :3

Edit: success! Turns out the wall model I'm using hadn't been exported with attachment points (like SOPCenter / hardpoint1, origin etc)... Which is why anything I attached to it would default to centre.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 1454 >
  Back to forum