Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: December 21st, 2012
December 21st, 2012
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Nov 21 2007, 12:11 am
By: ShinRa
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1013 >

Nov 30 2007, 3:32 am AntiSleep Post #141

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Frazz
A guy in the USA thought up E=MC^2. Come on, you can get this one.

A German Scientist.
Incorrect, a German patent clerk.

None.

Dec 13 2007, 11:46 pm Vi3t-X Post #142

I was randomly reading across the posts to hear about 2 pages of "Mayan Calander"

Now correct me if im wrong (im only 12... ok...) but isnt the Mayan numeral system a base-60 system?

If this is so, then: The Mayans invented --Time-- "60"
Have you noticed that 24 hours in a day fit into the 360&#9675; of the earth?
24->360 x15.

Our calander is supposedly based off the Mayan calander...

Going: 31, 28.25, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31

Which add up to 365 days in a year.

Is 365 not very close to 360? I know this will be strange but: 365 - 7 "31 months" = 358 + 2 missing days from February = 360 days?

DOES THIS NOT PERFECTLY ALIGN? OR IS THIS LITTLE KID JUST THINKING OF STRANGE CONCEPTS?

In conclusion:

365 - 7 + 2 = 360 (complete circle)

None.

Dec 14 2007, 12:38 am DT_Battlekruser Post #143

The Mayan numeric system is centered on base 20; we inherited base 60 times from the Babylonians of the Fertile Crescent.

The Gregorian calendar finds its roots in the Roman Julian calendar and other Roman constructs, centuries before the West had contact with the Maya.

None.

Dec 14 2007, 12:58 am Vi3t-X Post #144

Does my statement make sense thought?

None.

Dec 14 2007, 1:00 am Vi3t-X Post #145

Another question, the roman numeral system is base 12 right?

If I can further understand these concepts, maybe draw a conclusion?

None.

Dec 14 2007, 1:02 am Symmetry Post #146

Dungeon Master

Quote from frazz
Just so you know ShinRa, the Bible doesn't say anything about the world ending 2008, 2012, or whatever. I believe that was a prediction of Isaac Newton(???).

Newton said around 2060... Forget the exact year. I remember it was on the Colbert Report.

Quote from JaFF
Quote from Wizard Wusa
And its been proven Evolution isn't real
Can you back up those claims?

Quote from Akar
I sure as hell can. And I can sure as hell prove God as well.

And its been proven Evolution isn't real so then God is the only good theory left
The existence of God is a matter of fact. It isn't a pitiful theory that humans have come up with.

PLEASE. PROVE TO ME EVOLUTION ISN'T REAL. PROVE GOD'S EXISTENCE. NOW. CONVERT US ALL.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Dec 14 2007, 2:00 am Vi3t-X Post #147

While your at it, convert me too, and remember to stay on topic!

None.

Dec 14 2007, 4:53 am frazz Post #148

The number 360 is naturally irrelevant to the nature of a circle. 360 degrees was chosen because (the Greeks?) thought there were 360 days in a year. Radians have a more natural affiliation with circularity.

And why you thought Roman Numerals were base 12 is beyond me.
I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
etc. The Romans had ten fingers too!

None.

Dec 14 2007, 10:35 pm Vi3t-X Post #149

Your point is Irrelivant, I already knew the roamn systm, just asking what base it was on

I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
C = 100
M = 1000 BUT WHAT IS THE BASE?

None.

Dec 14 2007, 11:08 pm ShadowFlare Post #150

Bases only apply to number systems which use symbols that can represent higher numbers when combined with others. Each symbol in Roman numerals can only represent a specific number and does not ever become a different number when combined with other symbols. A numeric system with each symbol representing only a fixed absolute quantity does not have a base (compared with relative quantities in other number systems).

You may be inclined to say it is base 10 because of the various multiples of 10 used, but that would be incorrect, as explained above. However, in their language I'd say it is very likely they read it in base 10 (though still just a guess on my part).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 14 2007, 11:16 pm by ShadowFlare.

None.

Dec 14 2007, 11:37 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #151

Like you said, it's nominally base ten because that is how it is referenced in Latin, and the recurrence of new symbols is for every power of ten (and half thereof)

I,V,X,L,C,D,M, etc.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 2:27 am frazz Post #152

If it were any base other than ten, they would not have recurrences of 10. They would have recurrences of 12 or whatever.
It's TECHNICALLY not base 10, but it sure as heck aint base 12.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 3:42 pm JordanN Post #153

PLEASE. PROVE TO ME EVOLUTION ISN'T REAL. PROVE GOD'S EXISTENCE. NOW. CONVERT US ALL.
1. Evolution was a theory created by scientists who really thought something like that could be true even though it's not. Like how can they actually get the exact date of something they claim is 200 billion years old. Or why would we evolve from monkeys. Our D.N.A isnt anything like theres. What if it was a dingo, or a moose.
2.Gods existence has been none throughout ages. It's been in alot of ancient writings and even old philosophers acknowledged it.
3.Why typing in caps. If you want to believe in God then go to the closest church and keep attending for 10 sundays. Then you'll believe his existence.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 4:23 pm Kow Post #154

No one can prove the existance of God, that's why people have faith. There is no concrete proof, though there are ways to corroborate texts (the bible) that claim God's real. Every archaeological find that people thought was just "wtf that's not real" in the bible that's been found was 100% accurate (tertriarchs in rome, I think was one of them).

The Case for Christ (forget the author) is a good read regarding the subject for believers and non believers alike. It isn't just "GOD IS REAL LOLO BELIEVE@!!!", but it goes through and discusses why the existence of God is likely, based on earthly things, such as motives and stuff.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 5:37 pm WoAHorde Post #155

Quote from JordanN
1. Evolution was a theory created by scientists who really thought something like that could be true even though it's not. Like how can they actually get the exact date of something they claim is 200 billion years old. Or why would we evolve from monkeys. Our D.N.A isnt anything like theres. What if it was a dingo, or a moose.

Your ignorance of carbon dating, the theory of Evolution, and habit to know dates(200 billion? The Universe is 15 billion), astounds me.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 7:25 pm Dapperdan Post #156

Quote from JordanN

As woa was saying, the earth has only been around about 4-5 billion years. You're ignorance is astounding. It's not the only ridiculous flaw in your arguement, either. Like, no scientists claim that we evolved from monkeys. The end, this displays very clearly you do not know what you are talking about, at all.

Quote from JordanN
2.Gods existence has been none throughout ages. It's been in alot of ancient writings and even old philosophers acknowledged it.

That doesn't prove anything. Lots of ancient writings and old philosophers didn't acknowledge it. And wtf does "Gods existence has been none throughout the ages" mean.

Quote from JordanN
If you want to believe in God then go to the closest church and keep attending for 10 sundays. Then you'll believe his existence.

No.

None.

Dec 15 2007, 8:02 pm HolySin Post #157

Quote from JordanN
If you want to believe in God then go to the closest church and keep attending for 10 sundays. Then you'll believe his existence.
Odd, I went to church for a solid eight years and I'm still an atheist...

None.

Dec 15 2007, 8:06 pm JordanN Post #158

Quote from HolySin
Odd, I went to church for a solid eight years and I'm still an atheist...

I guess that makes you an apostate then.
You're ignorance is astounding.
It looks like you got me there, really making me ignorant in that post. (And yet I'm the only one who admits to something that was ignorant but the others didnt?!? :dontgetit: ). But apart from that evolution in my opinion is the worst theory ever.

None.

Dec 16 2007, 12:33 am frazz Post #159

JordanN, your lack of knowledge is the reason a lot of people think anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is just an idiot.
You could do us ALL a favor by being quiet about stuff which you have no understanding of.

None.

Dec 16 2007, 12:51 am Symmetry Post #160

Dungeon Master

Quote from JordanN
3.Why typing in caps. If you want to believe in God then go to the closest church and keep attending for 10 sundays. Then you'll believe his existence.

I've gone to church for 15 years. I went through Sunday school in its entirety. I still think it's bullshit.

Quote from Kow
No one can prove the existance of God, that's why people have faith. There is no concrete proof, though there are ways to corroborate texts (the bible) that claim God's real.

DON'T JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS! AKAR SAID HE COULD PROVE IT!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 16 2007, 6:41 pm by Killer_Kow.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Options
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1013 >
  Back to forum