Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: December 21st, 2012
December 21st, 2012
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Nov 21 2007, 12:11 am
By: ShinRa
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1113 >

Dec 16 2007, 8:06 am velocityx Post #161

Stop trying to scare people about 2012.
Not going to happen. there have been so many predictions in the past by smart people and they haven't came true so why would this one? just because there advanced?

IF you do believe in this don't live your life around it.

None.

Dec 16 2007, 6:25 pm Moose Post #162

We live in a society.

Quote from JordanN
Or why would we evolve from chimp*s. Our D.N.A isnt anything like theres. What if it was a dingo, or a moose.
O RLY?

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/04/2.12.04/human_chimp_DNA.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/238852_chimp01.html
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2833-humanchimp-dna-difference-trebled.html
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/DNA/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061013104633.htm

2.Gods existence has been none throughout ages. It's been in alot of ancient writings and even old philosophers acknowledged it.
O RLY?
I'd like some examples of these "philosophers". I'm also assuming that "old" means more than 1000 years. St. Thomas Aquinas does not count. Last I checked, Greeks (who gave us the 3 most famous philosophers - Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle) were polytheistic. Aristotle himself philosophically proves that there exists an immortal soul and afterlife, but does not tell us what that afterlife is or that a God exists.

Dec 16 2007, 7:10 pm frazz Post #163

Though, wouldn't the fact that the belief in SOME sort of god(s) is a constant in [almost] every single culture and civilization throughout the world seem to imply something regarding a common origin?

I'm just throwing this out since even the head admin doesn't seem to mind the off topic nature of this dialogue.

None.

Dec 16 2007, 8:27 pm Dapperdan Post #164

Quote from frazz
I'm just throwing this out since even the head admin doesn't seem to mind the off topic nature of this dialogue.

Why would he?

Quote from frazz
Though, wouldn't the fact that the belief in SOME sort of god(s) is a constant in [almost] every single culture and civilization throughout the world seem to imply something regarding a common origin?

No.

None.

Dec 16 2007, 8:42 pm Moose Post #165

We live in a society.

We have topics?!

Dec 16 2007, 10:42 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #166

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
I'd like some examples of these "philosophers". I'm also assuming that "old" means more than 1000 years. St. Thomas Aquinas does not count. Last I checked, Greeks (who gave us the 3 most famous philosophers - Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle) were polytheistic. Aristotle himself philosophically proves that there exists an immortal soul and afterlife, but does not tell us what that afterlife is or that a God exists.

Actually Socrates was monotheistic, well maybe ;p

Some controversy also exists about claims of Socrates exempting himself from the homosexual customs of Ancient Greece and not believing in the Olympian gods to the point of being monotheistic or if this was an attempt by later medieval scholars to reconcile him with the morals of the era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates

None.

Dec 17 2007, 12:33 am frazz Post #167

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from frazz

No.
Your logic is infallible. I'm not an expert, but that must be some sort of Argument Ad IDidn'tEvenMakeAnArgumentAtAll or something.

None.

Dec 17 2007, 11:59 am AntiSleep Post #168

Quote from frazz
Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from frazz

No.
Your logic is infallible. I'm not an expert, but that must be some sort of Argument Ad IDidn'tEvenMakeAnArgumentAtAll or something.
Every primitive culture has superstitions, there is no evidence to suggest any of them are substantive. It is far more likely they started as an instinctual fear of the unknown(perfectly useful fear when you live in a land of predators), but all that is left in modern religion is a means to power, and rampant xenophobia.

None.

Dec 17 2007, 5:28 pm frazz Post #169

That's better.

None.

Dec 17 2007, 8:37 pm Vi3t-X Post #170

Or perhaps this is true. When we view the movie I AM LEGEND, we realize that something retarded is going to happen right? LOL, if you base your facts of that... Its just sad...

But the possibility could be true. One thing I dont get however:

The sun alligns with the Earth and the Black hole, WHAT PURPOSE DOES THIS BRING? The black hole is at the galactic center, while we are nearly on the rim of the Milky Way. The sun aligns with the earth? WTF Does that have to do?

We dont know enough about black holes or theories yet, but what we can prove currently is that this occurence is unscientifical. Yet we must also look into the fact that science can only go so far. We can learn only so much, before the info will harm us. It is better to have done little, and have others continue your work than to spend your whole life researching an aspect.

BASICALLY:

We are not going to die. Unless relegion can bring me evidence that supports their cause, I dont think this will happen. These statements are unjustified and when AntiSleep mentioned that it is possibly superstition, it gave me solid proof. The Sun aligning with the black hole has no meaning. The sun is always revolving around it. Eventually it will get sucked in, but for now, the gravitational well of the hole compared to the mass of our sun, is very small.

None.

Dec 17 2007, 9:01 pm JordanN Post #171

Don't worry. 12/12/12 is just a fake. No matter what it is... no human can predict the end of the world and or existence.

The Mayans prediction is just 1 out of a trillion. Who knows. What if tomorrow we get destroyed by flying cows.
Or a virus comes out where all humans just blink to death.

None.

Dec 18 2007, 12:07 am Vi3t-X Post #172

1) Unreasonable, viruses are microbacterial infections that occure naturally. Viruses also augment towards their surroundings so they can better feed on their hosts. No virus will emerge instantly unless a new virus geneticly evolves and mutates or a sudden rapid amount of viruses are unleashed to the world populatoin.
2) Cows don't fly.

The Mayans had mathematical precision that even to this day with modern technology and science we cannot understand. It is the complexity of the human brain that prevents us from learning this. Why is it so hard for a dumb kid to do well on a test? They overlook the fact that everyone has the same level of intelligence, and that if they do it subconciously, they will achieve the same results. We look at things too difficult, but rather if we simplify things, everything is readable.

December 21, 12, or 12,21,12 is a strange seqenential pattern of 1s and 2s.

December represents little signifigance and neither does the 2012 factor.
The day is the keen object seen here, it is a diferentiation of a pattern, perhaps the key to salvation. Perhaps 12,21,12 is merely a pattern divised for man-kind to solve and later logically transform into works. Perhaps 12,21,12 is a useless fact altogether, but whatever it is, only time will tell.

There is no hope in debating it. What's inevitable is inevitable and what is illogical may not neccessarily be illogical later on. If the world does come to an end, it will come to an end.

One who decides has the power to tell
But one who endures the wrath of all and yet still survives has the power of wisdom

It cannot be taken or used or lost,
But wisdom is the key to everything and anything.

None.

Dec 18 2007, 9:31 am Kellimus Post #173

Quote from JordanN
Don't worry. 12/12/12 is just a fake. No matter what it is... no human can predict the end of the world and or existence.

The Mayans prediction is just 1 out of a trillion. Who knows. What if tomorrow we get destroyed by flying cows.
Or a virus comes out where all humans just blink to death.

E-hem.

No sources for your outrageous claims... Opinion is not fact....

Quit trying to debate in these forums please? Your debate tactics blow total dogs for quarters...

But sorry, 2012 isn't the end of the worlds, and the Mayans never said that, either. 2012 is just the end of the universal 13,000 years. There was a big thread on it in a different forum, but its gone now...

Basically states that the univers has "years" that are every 13,000 man years, and 2012 is just the end of the 13,000 year period.

None.

Dec 18 2007, 3:53 pm Moose Post #174

We live in a society.

It amuses me that you actually took JordanN's claims literally.
You really missed his point there.

Dec 18 2007, 9:22 pm Kellimus Post #175

Eh, shit happens. Not everyone is right all the time.

None.

Dec 19 2007, 9:01 pm JordanN Post #176

Kellimus you still don't get it now do you.

One again. All predictions are just 1 out of a trillion guesses. For example.

"I predict tomorrow, every country with nuclear weapons will launch it against each other."

Well, countries such as the U.S.A and Russia (with former soviet nations) still have over 10,000 active nuclear warheads. So doesn't that give you the feeling that it could just happen. But that doesn't mean it will happen exactly on that day(tommorow). Now what if the day after that they do launch the weapons just destroying all of life and existence. I wasn't right about the day but I was right about how it could happen.

Or what about the cold war. People thought it was the end because the 2 top powers of the world where against each other and in maybe one year total war would be launched. But it is 2007 and were still alive. And for another great prediction look at Y2K. People took that one very seriously and companies benefited from it because people where giving up on technology and just wanted food and water. That didn't happen and look, were still alive. So those points counter on what may happen on 12/12/12.

Another thing I laugh at is why does it have to be humans? What if it's animals that really know the end of the world. All of them could be secretly saying "What are you doing! The end is almost near and your just playing standing there?"

None.

Dec 20 2007, 5:13 am AntiSleep Post #177

There were well articulated reasons to think some computer systems would crash, and some did crash, just not enough to cause significant damage. And the only reason the cold war didn't end in massive bloodshed is because the leaders on both sides recognized that fear can be manipulated to gain power, and you don't have any power if the population is too dead to be afraid of nuclear war.

None.

Dec 20 2007, 9:43 pm Kellimus Post #178

Quote from JordanN
Kellimus you still don't get it now do you.

One again. All predictions are just 1 out of a trillion guesses. For example.

"I predict tomorrow, every country with nuclear weapons will launch it against each other."

Well, countries such as the U.S.A and Russia (with former soviet nations) still have over 10,000 active nuclear warheads. So doesn't that give you the feeling that it could just happen. But that doesn't mean it will happen exactly on that day(tommorow). Now what if the day after that they do launch the weapons just destroying all of life and existence. I wasn't right about the day but I was right about how it could happen.

Or what about the cold war. People thought it was the end because the 2 top powers of the world where against each other and in maybe one year total war would be launched. But it is 2007 and were still alive. And for another great prediction look at Y2K. People took that one very seriously and companies benefited from it because people where giving up on technology and just wanted food and water. That didn't happen and look, were still alive. So those points counter on what may happen on 12/12/12.

Another thing I laugh at is why does it have to be humans? What if it's animals that really know the end of the world. All of them could be secretly saying "What are you doing! The end is almost near and your just playing standing there?"

Going back to your reply about the Mayan's prediction:

They predicted a hell of a lot more than whats been discussed here, and the predictions were accurate and dead on..

I don't think they were humans..

None.

Dec 20 2007, 9:47 pm JordanN Post #179

They predicted a hell of a lot more than whats been discussed here, and the predictions were accurate and dead on..

I don't think they were humans..[/quote]

So who cares if they predicted alot and might of been dead on but that doesn't mean they are perfect. If a boy got perfect on 5 tests does that mean he'll get perfect on a final exam? Well he must be good because he got perfect on the other tests but not all humans are perfect thus at anytime there can be a mistake. Which leads me again to the fact that there predictions are just 1 out of trillion.

None.

Dec 20 2007, 10:07 pm Kellimus Post #180

Quote from JordanN

I don't think they were humans..

So who cares if they predicted alot and might of been dead on but that doesn't mean they are perfect. If a boy got perfect on 5 tests does that mean he'll get perfect on a final exam? Well he must be good because he got perfect on the other tests but not all humans are perfect thus at anytime there can be a mistake. Which leads me again to the fact that there predictions are just 1 out of trillion.

Need to learn reasoning and logic much?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1113 >
  Back to forum