Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Frost@USEast > You 2.0
Frost@USEast > You 2.0
Aug 29 2010, 3:52 pm
By: TiKels
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 510 >

Sep 22 2010, 1:15 am NudeRaider Post #41

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Concerned is more accurate.

Sep 22 2010, 1:16 am Frost Post #42

Quote from NudeRaider
Concerned is more accurate.
Don't use drophacks and the like and you have nothing to worry about.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 1:34 am NudeRaider Post #43

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The very possibility is reason to worry about.
Especially considering the morals you show. It seems you think being dropped from one game justifies stealing someone's CD key. There's absolutely no relativity given to the severity of these 2 acts. While the former may exclude you from online play (by Blizzard's discretion, probably just temporary/partially) the latter is breaking actual laws.

And double especially when the drophack was only an answer to another hacking.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 1:44 am by NudeRaider. Reason: typo

Sep 22 2010, 1:39 am LoTu)S Post #44

Quote from Frost
You guys are just jealous I found out how to steal your CDKeys.
I'm surprised not so many people know that keys CAN be stolen. The concern however is on this pseudo-warden act.

Quote from NudeRaider
The very possibility is reason to worry about.
Especially considering the morals you show. It seems you think being dropped from one game justifies stealing someone's CD key. There's absolutely no relativity given to the severity of these 2 acts. While the former may exclude you from online play (by Blizzard's discretion, probably just temporary/partially) the latter is breaking actual laws.

And double especially when the drophack was only an answer to another hacking.
This explains most of the concerns.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 1:44 am by NudeRaider. Reason: typo in my quote (lol!)

None.

Sep 22 2010, 2:04 am Aristocrat Post #45

Drophack abusers are typically what we call "skript kiddies". They run drophacks while having no idea how the hacks even work; they toss around terms like "packets" and "buffer" to seem knowledgeable without actually knowing what they are when called upon. Most (I daresay over 99% of) drophack abusers are egotistic asses who care about nothing but their e-peen, with the misconception that the more they drophack, the larger their e-peen grows. Having a $5 CD key stolen is a just and well-deserved punishment for the extremely poor conduct they typically show, even if the process of CD key theft is immoral in itself.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 2:08 am FoxWolf1 Post #46

I'm surprised at some of the reactions that I'm seeing here. I mean considering that:

-If Battle.net's anti-hacking measures worked properly, drophackers would already be banned...

-It used to be common to build anti-hacks into maps that caused the hacker to crash, which carries a small possibility of damage to his computer...

-If there were any other problem with Starcraft that made the game unplayable as often and for as long as the failure of the anti-hacking measures, we'd be absolutely overjoyed to have a third-party solution...

...I'd expect that there'd be a lot more people saying that they're just getting what they deserved. Which, of course, they are.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 2:17 am Heinermann Post #47

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

I'm pretty sure it won't work on the digital key (digital download installation).

Despite the major exploit, it hasn't really seen much use between us.
In the wrong hands however, I can see it capable of permanently removing all numeric-key users from Battle.net over a period of time.

Worst-case scenario, all exploits combined, it's possible to permanently cripple public Starcraft gaming.
To top it off, Blizzard Entertainment refuses to acknowlege this threat.

Sep 22 2010, 2:18 am Frost Post #48

Quote from Aristocrat
Drophack abusers are typically what we call "skript kiddies". They run drophacks while having no idea how the hacks even work; they toss around terms like "packets" and "buffer" to seem knowledgeable without actually knowing what they are when called upon. Most (I daresay over 99% of) drophack abusers are egotistic asses who care about nothing but their e-peen, with the misconception that the more they drophack, the larger their e-peen grows. Having a $5 CD key stolen is a just and well-deserved punishment for the extremely poor conduct they typically show, even if the process of CD key theft is immoral in itself.
This.

Quote from Heinermann
I'm pretty sure it won't work on the digital key (digital download installation).

Despite the major exploit, it hasn't really seen much use between us.
In the wrong hands however, I can see it capable of permanently removing all numeric-key users from Battle.net over a period of time.

Worst-case scenario, all exploits combined, it's possible to permanently cripple public Starcraft gaming.
To top it off, Blizzard Entertainment refuses to acknowlege this threat.
It's possible to do it with the digital keys.

Edit: The best way to protect yourself is to just conduct yourself in a positive manner on Battle.net. That goes for more than just me, Jiggie, etc but treat everyone with respect, and do not do things like drophack people for no reason. If you follow that guideline your CDKey will be safe.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 2:33 am by Frost.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 3:07 am Azrael Post #49

Meh, I join Op Hacker sometimes, and Heinermann has taken a good deal of time to help me in the past with EUD stuff, and Frost took a minute to throw in some useful information as well. I wouldn't stop joining Op Hacker because of this, and I doubt innocent people are having their CD-keys maliciously stolen from. I'd hazard a guess and say anyone who's targeted was being a douchebag.

It does point out some pretty severe issues with Bnet though, and if Blizzard decides to shut it down instead of fixing it then that's entirely on them and them alone. They could shut down Bnet, or they could fix the security issues, either way it's their decision which they are responsible for.

Sep 22 2010, 5:10 am The Starport Post #50

Quote from NudeRaider
There's absolutely no relativity given to the severity of these 2 acts. While the former may exclude you from online play (by Blizzard's discretion, probably just temporary/partially) the latter is breaking actual laws.
Which is incidentally the reason I would consider trusting them rather than not. I'm sure Actibuzzard has what amounts to a small army of lawyers on hand... they're a frickin publisher, after all. I assume if Hein' n' Co. are doing anything more than casually and silently policing with this exploit (and judging by Blizzard's relative apathy thus far)... well, this is all just speculation, obviously.

Problem is, you guys must realize it's only going to be a matter of time (despite your efforts) before the cat's out of the bag on this. Especially now that (potential) money and such is involved. I think just by revealing this information at all you may have done goofed already. :><:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 5:16 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 9:52 am NudeRaider Post #51

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Quote from NudeRaider
There's absolutely no relativity given to the severity of these 2 acts. While the former may exclude you from online play (by Blizzard's discretion, probably just temporary/partially) the latter is breaking actual laws.
Which is incidentally the reason I would consider trusting them rather than not.
I trust no one who threatens to steal from me if I don't treat him respectfully.
Usually treating people with respect is no problem at all, actually, it's a basic principle of mine. However I have a hard time respecting people that join my game and use hacks against me. But that is what they are expecting apparently. Internet bullies in my eyes. They are allowed to push you around, but if you push back then you get a knife in your stomach.

I would trust Heinermann to use this knowledge responsibly from what I've seen of him on SEN, but shady characters like Frost who are spamming and hacking on a daily routine I cannot trust.

Anyways, I had 3 questions. Can someone please answer them?
- How long does a hacker need to get your key when you're online?
- Does spoofing your name help?
- Is there anything else that could prevent CD key theft?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 9:58 am by NudeRaider.

Sep 22 2010, 10:25 am Aristocrat Post #52

Quote from NudeRaider

Do not log in. That's pretty much a foolproof method to prevent CD key theft.

Alternatively, play on iCCup after changing your CD key.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 10:37 am The Starport Post #53

I trust no one who threatens to steal from me if I don't treat him respectfully.
Does that mean you don't pay taxes? :bleh:

Unless Blizzard gets off its arse with a patch, the only other option for full safety in light of the apparent exploitability of bnet's code may simply be to not play on it anymore. Short of that, until someone gets around to fully reverse engineering SC or the bnet client or something (which I've actually considered doing, myself), I would just file this under the "who cares" category, personally. Not like CD-keys are really worth anything anymore, anyway. :rolleyes:

Edit: But privacy and system security, on the other hand...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 22 2010, 10:44 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 10:48 am NudeRaider Post #54

Quote from Aristocrat
How very helpful, thanks...
Quote from Aristocrat
That was not the question.

Does that mean you don't pay taxes? :bleh:
Actually, I don't... (except sales tax on my Internet)

Sep 22 2010, 1:45 pm Aristocrat Post #55

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Aristocrat
How very helpful, thanks...
Quote from Aristocrat
That was not the question.

This prevents CD key theft while still allowing you to play StarCraft. I do not see why you would so rudely dismiss the suggestion.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 5:36 pm NudeRaider Post #56

Because it's not battle net. I don't consider running away from the hacker theft prevention.
Also, how sure are you that playing on iccup makes your CD key safe?

Sep 22 2010, 7:41 pm Frost Post #57

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from NudeRaider
Which is incidentally the reason I would consider trusting them rather than not.
Usually treating people with respect is no problem at all, actually, it's a basic principle of mine. However I have a hard time respecting people that join my game and use hacks against me. But that is what they are expecting apparently. Internet bullies in my eyes. They are allowed to push you around, but if you push back then you get a knife in your stomach.

I would trust Heinermann to use this knowledge responsibly from what I've seen of him on SEN, but shady characters like Frost who are spamming and hacking on a daily routine I cannot trust.

Anyways, I had 3 questions. Can someone please answer them?
- How long does a hacker need to get your key when you're online?
- Does spoofing your name help?

Luckily you don't have to trust me. The actions will speak for themselves. To answer your three questions:

1) Instant. They just have to know you're on, /whois.
2) Not at all. Also, that's more hacks. Exactly what you criticize me for.
3) Yes, being pleasant on Battle.net. Also, staying out of the channel "Op Hacker"

None.

Sep 22 2010, 8:46 pm Fisty Post #58

Frost's narcissism makes me laugh.

None.

Sep 22 2010, 11:33 pm Aristocrat Post #59

Quote from NudeRaider
Also, how sure are you that playing on iccup makes your CD key safe?

I said "change your CD key, then play on iCCup". Because iCCup does not authenticate CD keys, you can just change it to 0000-0000-0123 or something similar, either using a CD key changer or doing it yourself.

None.

Sep 23 2010, 2:59 am Monstrous Post #60

Or you can not play on USEast. Everybody who has it plays on USEast.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 510 >
  Back to forum