Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Temple Siege Tournament #6
Temple Siege Tournament #6
May 28 2010, 11:36 pm
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >

Jun 3 2010, 5:57 pm Decency Post #41

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
As an example, if you really want LM to not hallucinate other LM, instead of saying it isn't allowed, you could trigger the removal of LM hallucinations. That way there's no one "cheating" :wtfage: Just saying. This entire discussion of people "cheating" because they didn't follow "teh rulez" is fairly lame in my opinion.
It bugs the game, and may not even be triggerable to detect. I don't know how to, anyway. There are huge limitations in SC mapping, which you may or may not be aware of. For instance, even with hyper triggers forcing alliance certain units can kill their own spawn units by attacking them. This is an obvious imbalance that would take a ton of rebalancing to be able to play with and it's much simpler to say "don't."

Guncam, Camtasia, Hypercam2, and Fraps are the standard recorders for SC that Snipers have been using for a few years. You can still use certain hacks, anyway, if that's what the point of your recordings would be. Guncam is the best to use by far, imho, but after 14 days you get a huge watermark on your videos which sucks.

None.

Jun 3 2010, 6:01 pm OlimarandLouie Post #42

If you re-download Guncam the watermark goes away.

None.

Jun 3 2010, 7:01 pm ClansAreForGays Post #43

Thx jack for the guncam suggestion, it's way better than CamStudio and gets the colors perfect. My computer is still too slow to record without noticeable lag though :/

Quote from name:FaZ-
As an example, if you really want LM to not hallucinate other LM, instead of saying it isn't allowed, you could trigger the removal of LM hallucinations. That way there's no one "cheating" :wtfage: Just saying. This entire discussion of people "cheating" because they didn't follow "teh rulez" is fairly lame in my opinion.
It bugs the game, and may not even be triggerable to detect. I don't know how to, anyway. There are huge limitations in SC mapping, which you may or may not be aware of. For instance, even with hyper triggers forcing alliance certain units can kill their own spawn units by attacking them. This is an obvious imbalance that would take a ton of rebalancing to be able to play with and it's much simpler to say "don't."
This. M9e has some triggers that detect it and fix it, and although I haven't been able to trick it, I doubt they are %100 fool proof.

Jun 3 2010, 7:20 pm 24million Post #44

>:( I tried using it but the colors are all messed up. I have Windows 7, which I think messes up my colors in StarCraft, but in the game, only the color of the water is messed up. But when I tried to record, the video came out with the colors extremely messed up. Anyone know how to fix this??

None.

Jun 3 2010, 7:36 pm ClansAreForGays Post #45

If only water colors mess up, it means something is happening/changing on your desktop while sc is running. Like I had a background randomizer program in the tskbar that puts a different background up every 10 minutes. When ever the background changes then I got messed up water. I don't know where I'm going with this, just a lil bit of info.

Jun 3 2010, 8:06 pm Jack Post #46

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from 24million
>:( I tried using it but the colors are all messed up. I have Windows 7, which I think messes up my colors in StarCraft, but in the game, only the color of the water is messed up. But when I tried to record, the video came out with the colors extremely messed up. Anyone know how to fix this??
Don't start recording until the game starts, as in, everyone is choosing their heroes.

@FaZ with screen recording, you can at least prove that maphack wasn't used, which is the important one.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 3 2010, 8:29 pm Azrael Post #47

It bugs the game, and may not even be triggerable to detect. I don't know how to, anyway.
Oh you can detect and remove hallucinations. I'll come up with some kind of rudimentary system real quick and put it in a map to show you some hallucination-related triggers. I won't put a lot of time into optimizing it or anything but it will give you a general idea of how it works.

Quote from ClansAreForGays
This. M9e has some triggers that detect it and fix it, and although I haven't been able to trick it, I doubt they are %100 fool proof.
Ah alright, so you triggered removal of LM hallucinations and said it's not allowed :D Well that's okay then!

Edit: Actually, I'll just put this in a new reply as to not detract from the posts made while I was making this.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 3 2010, 9:47 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Jun 3 2010, 9:26 pm 24million Post #48

Quote from Jack
Quote from 24million
Don't start recording until the game starts, as in, everyone is choosing their heroes.
I've been doing that, and the colors still mess up.

None.

Jun 3 2010, 9:36 pm ClansAreForGays Post #49

Are u starting the recording by hotkey, or alt tabbing?

Jun 3 2010, 9:47 pm Azrael Post #50

Here you go FaZ. Didn't spend too much time on it, should work fine though. There are a number of ways it can be improved upon, I just wanted to make it as basic as possible to demonstrate the general concept.

If you hallucinate another High Templar, the triggers will kill the hallucinations. If you hallucinate anything else, they won't.

Also, to show another form of hallucination detection, you start with 3 hallucinated Civilians. You'll get a message informing you if they all die.

It's a 1-player map, try it out to see it in action.

Edit: Apparently people are having issues with opening it to see how it works. I didn't protect it though, I'm not sure what's wrong. I've saved it again, you should be able to open this one.

Edit2: Finally, I opened and saved it with StarEdit, seems to be opened easily now. If anyone still can't open it with SCMDraft, any other editor opens it fine, including StarEdit.

Attachments:
Hallucination Triggers.scx
Hits: 5 Size: 65.17kb

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on Jun 4 2010, 12:02 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Jun 4 2010, 1:28 am Changeling Post #51

So, who wants to be in my team

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 4 2010, 2:59 am by Changeling.

None.

Jun 4 2010, 2:55 am 24million Post #52

I've been using the hotkey to start and end it. It plays the right sound and everything. I thought it was supposed to record the screen exactly, it looks really weird. Maybe I'll be able to post the video with the messed up colors tomorrow.

None.

Jun 4 2010, 12:12 pm OlimarandLouie Post #53

MEMEME670 and I are looking for a 3rd teammate. Someone who knows they can play well with Mutant and Dark Mage, and are up to par on our skill level. You can find him on Steam and LoL under the same name, because he's not very active in SEN anymore.

None.

Jun 4 2010, 3:05 pm Changeling Post #54

Quote from OlimarandLouie
MEMEME670 and I are looking for a 3rd teammate. Someone who knows they can play well with Mutant and Dark Mage, and are up to par on our skill level. You can find him on Steam and LoL under the same name, because he's not very active in SEN anymore.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my best unit is mech

None.

Jun 4 2010, 6:18 pm ClansAreForGays Post #55

Too bad you can't find drakeclawfang

Jun 4 2010, 6:20 pm OlimarandLouie Post #56

Yea I miss Drake :-(

None.

Jun 6 2010, 8:39 pm Gladius_Tito Post #57

I'm out of the tournament. I'll be gone the whole week.

None.

Jun 7 2010, 8:24 am Decency Post #58

Quote from OlimarandLouie
If you re-download Guncam the watermark goes away.
Didn't work for me. I tried twice. =(

Quote from Jack
@FaZ with screen recording, you can at least prove that maphack wasn't used, which is the important one.
I won't go into detail because I know how many scumbags here are sympathetic to cheaters, but no, you can't.

Here you go FaZ. Didn't spend too much time on it, should work fine though. There are a number of ways it can be improved upon, I just wanted to make it as basic as possible to demonstrate the general concept.
That's wonderful, but you're missing the point. There will be these issues no matter how much time you spend triggering unwieldy systems; I already mentioned a huge one which I'd love to see tackled. Practicality says that we're using someone's software, not building our own. As such, we have concrete limitations and thus may find that we have to place others to artificially supplement them.

None.

Jun 7 2010, 8:45 am Jack Post #59

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Why would you not be able to detect maphack? Even if the GUI is turned off, you would still see if a player has vision when he shouldn't.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 7 2010, 9:27 am Azrael Post #60

That's wonderful, but you're missing the point. There will be these issues no matter how much time you spend triggering unwieldy systems
Wow, really? Pretty sure you're the one missing the point. I said if something can be triggered that it should be triggered, such as not hallucinating LMs. You said we shouldn't worry about it because it probably can't be detected, due to StarCraft's severe limitations which I "may or may not be aware of," and you cited an example of something else that people are able to exploit due to said limitations.

Then I designing a system to do it, to show you a concrete example of how it can be done, which can run while using a whopping 6 locations and no preplaced units, and you come back to continue arguing the point with "We can't fix everything so we shouldn't fix anything"?

Really? That's not a very useful ideology. By that logic, we may as well not even trigger Victory or Defeat conditions, we'll just say that you lose when your temple is gone, and the losers should at that point stop fighting and resign from the game. But we do trigger it, because it's easy to do so. The only reason to not trigger what's possible to trigger is to spend less time working on the map, and that's the only reason there is.

By the way, if you're going to go out of your way to be disagreeable just for the sake of doing so, starting your replies with flippant comments like "that's wonderful," you could at least not blatantly fabricate things in the process. I know it seemed like it'd be cool to throw in a snide comment about "unwieldy systems" along with your thoroughly sarcastic attitude, but there is no definition that exists for "unwieldy" that would describe a system which can run off 6 locations and no preplaced units. If you're going to be insulting then at least do it truthfully.

Anyways, it was my original intention to point out a way in which the map could be improved in general. It's easier to list the rules in the briefing than to trigger them, but the ones that can be triggered should be, in my opinion. To say that some of the items on that list can't be perfectly implemented is a valid reason to not trigger any of them is naive at best and ridiculous regardless.

If you still find my viewpoint unpalatable, then I apologize that our thoughts on the subject couldn't be confluent.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 7 2010, 9:33 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >
  Back to forum