Week #2 SEN Mapping Contest
May 2 2010, 1:24 am
By: LoveLess
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Jun 4 2010, 8:30 pm EzTerix Post #101

Quote from UnholyUrine
've been busy with Alpha Marines..
srsly... :stfu: :(

We're also waiting for Cecil to finish his exams before doing the 4th.. but hopefully, loveless and I can get the reviews done for this before that...
tho.. I haven't seen loveless a lot either :O

DISORGANIZED :facts:

the judges response: :drunk:

None.

Jun 6 2010, 12:02 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #102

Quote from UnholyUrine
srsly... :stfu:
Just don't go around making week-long mapping contests if you can't be committed. That's all I'm saying. Oh and if continues like this, don't be surprised when less and less people participate.

None.

Jun 6 2010, 4:55 pm TiKels Post #103

Leeroy, you realize you are probably one of the most organized and committed members of SEN in terms of productivity? I am not saying that you shouldn't push your standards, but I -am- saying that you need to teach me how to do what you do.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 11 2010, 9:36 pm EzTerix Post #104

Can we get an update on how the judging is going? It's been about a month since they were due and it's summer now so... :P

None.

Sep 5 2010, 6:23 am UnholyUrine Post #105

Oh man Oh MAN!

I've finished writing the review for all of the RPGs except Mental Asylum and Autocracy.
Autocracy takes hours to finish, and azrael demands that I actually finish the game to give it a fair rating.

ETEFT, firstly, you need to clear your freaking inbox so I can PM you
secondly, you need to send me an uncompressed/unprotected version of Mental Asylum. The map, as I've finally figured out (I was so perplexed as to why the game felt too difficult and broken).. was compressed using Tinymap. It has broken it. So you need to send me the original ver.

Thanks.

None.

Sep 5 2010, 10:24 pm ETEFT(U) Post #106

Quote from UnholyUrine
Oh man Oh MAN!

I've finished writing the review for all of the RPGs except Mental Asylum and Autocracy.
Autocracy takes hours to finish, and azrael demands that I actually finish the game to give it a fair rating.

ETEFT, firstly, you need to clear your freaking inbox so I can PM you
secondly, you need to send me an uncompressed/unprotected version of Mental Asylum. The map, as I've finally figured out (I was so perplexed as to why the game felt too difficult and broken).. was compressed using Tinymap. It has broken it. So you need to send me the original ver.

Thanks.

Okay, No problem. Will do all that ASAP.

None.

Sep 17 2010, 4:30 am UnholyUrine Post #107

Just so you all know that I still care

This took me, minus all the procrastinating... at least 3 days to do... and 3 weeks to play thru all the rpg'ish maps. and I haven't even been able to finish Autocracy yet. X.X
But srsly, everyone's map was spectacular. I hope everyone will still spend this much effort in their maps.

Judging

tl;dr WINRARS

None.

Sep 17 2010, 4:49 am ETEFT(U) Post #108

Grats to Azrael.Wrath, Chia and Loveless & EzTerix!! and well done to every1 else who participated, now on to the next one. (FINALLY!) :)

None.

Sep 17 2010, 2:43 pm Azrael Post #109

Unholy, I'm still going to catch you online sometime and finish it with you :P Congratulations to the other participants!

Quote from UnholyUrine
In the forest-ish stage, the entire bottom area of the map is just so.. bland.
Quote from UnholyUrine
I swear that little doodads here and there, or have areas that look different from others would make the map SOO Much better.. But the forest of doom is just SOOO bland. There just could’ve been more color everywhere.

You're 100% right of course. I wanted the entire map to be like the starting town, with each room handcrafted individually with details and whatnot. I was even doing that just outside the town, where you can see there's blends for horizontal and vertical rock ledges. After making 30 rooms like that though, it became quickly apparent that I wouldn't have enough time if I continued doing it :/

The forest area was far more generic than I originally wanted, as I had to basically create it all at once. I tried adding a few special things (random doodads, the Woodsmen room, tree-concealed passages, Mystical Stones) to try to make it feel less bland, but the area is a shadow of what I planned for it originally.

Quote from UnholyUrine
The text, however, is great. I didn’t think it’d be humanly possible to compile so many strings.

Yeah, it was a pain in the ass :P Many of them will never be seen, but I figured I would implement them for the few times they are.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Another thing is that there’s no variation between the enemies. There’re marines, medics, and ghosts (and those faggish woodland creatures). That’s it…

There are a few more variants of enemies in the last third of the map ;) There's also a boss battle at the end of the first castle that has some very unique mechanics. I'd have liked to have some more variety along the way to be sure, but balancing is time consuming, and the time constraints killed a lot of what I was going to do.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Also, while Gold being random is fine, the increments to getting more gold is just too marginal to notice.

It is hard to notice at first, though at some point you'll see how much gold you have and know something must have been helping :P I would have liked to use a leveling system other than that (even something like "You've gained reputation, prices at the store are now lower" would have been a better implementation of the same system). When I make a new version and have plenty of time to work on it, I'll put in something more sophisticated.

Quote from UnholyUrine
the Music is absolutely amazing.
Quote from UnholyUrine
And of course, the music syncs very well, and the fade-in fade-out effects of battle music is really, really well done.

Thanks :) I spent way more time on this than I should have, but it's certainly what I'm proudest of in the map.

Oct 3 2010, 12:29 am EzTerix Post #110

woot finally a review :)

I'm glad you liked the game and I definitely agree with some of the complaints. Overall I'm just happy the reviews finally came out. Thanks! :D

None.

Oct 15 2010, 3:47 pm Azrael Post #111

When does the next one start? I was told it would be something awesome :O

Oct 15 2010, 3:52 pm FoxWolf1 Post #112

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
When does the next one start? I was told it would be something awesome :O

Presumably after the results from the #6 contest come out.

None.

Oct 15 2010, 4:07 pm Azrael Post #113

Quote from FoxWolf1
Presumably after the results from the #6 contest come out.

You know what? That's a pretty good point :awesome: I suppose I asked the wrong question then.

Nov 29 2010, 10:27 am LoveLess Post #114

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Oh hey, this was judged. Never knew. :hurr:

Third place? Really? That map was like half way done before I just rushed for 5 minutes, gave it the final ending and presto. There was actually going to be a boss battle with Daddy, Marianne's bestest friend in the whole wide world. *cry* *cry* "Why big brother? ...Why did you hurt Daddy?" *cry* *cry* "...You had Mommy. So I took Mommy away like Daddy told me to. So it's only fair that now you took Daddy..." *RAWR* [/use of L4D witch sounds]

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum