Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Week #2 SEN Mapping Contest
Week #2 SEN Mapping Contest
May 2 2010, 1:24 am
By: LoveLess
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >

May 3 2010, 12:43 am CecilSunkure Post #21

PM the map to any of the judges or post up a link to it here.

None.

May 5 2010, 1:16 am SkLoped Post #22

Eh, not doing this one..
I already have other stuff to do

None.

May 6 2010, 3:20 am DavidJCobb Post #23

Much as I wish I could enter, I am quite confident that the idea I want to make cannot be completed in a mere 4 days. At the same time, however, I feel compelled to post what I wanted to do (and will still do -- just not in time for this contest)...

The map that would be my entry if I could complete it in time... Would be a map about an insane man. As you travel around a city, you play as a soul in search of answers... A man who frequently hallucinates. He quite literally sees sins and evil and character flaws all around him. He's haunted by ghosts of now-inaccessible memories. The map would/will use a lot of effects, like strange lights, ethereal beings flying through the air, etc.. The man also frequently lapses into poetic/alliterative, metaphor-laden, cryptic diatribes.

So hollowed and hidden, I go t'where I'm bidden: a hellish and heartless and haunting old haven: a hopeless and hateful and hind'ring harsh hole that hellhounds had dug into the filth.

"Harry's Bar".

His tendency to hallucinate -- and to have hallucinations that, in a way, are more candid than reality itself -- is very heavily inspired by Chief Bromden from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The poetic streak is inspired by an idea I had for the SEN Map Project (a man who has gone insane from long-term lack of human contact).

The reason I'm posting any of this is because I'm gonna work on a small "demo" version. I'll be late, but hopefully not so late that I can't at least be judged.

None.

May 6 2010, 3:46 am CecilSunkure Post #24

Thanks for the post David, I wish you luck.

None.

May 7 2010, 4:45 am CecilSunkure Post #25

Here is my submission: Recursion RPG

I just remembered: Don't use the mushroom until the intro is over or else you may bug the map.

None.

May 7 2010, 5:02 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #26

Judges submitting their own maps to the contest is a conflict of interest :(
Even if the other judges will be the ones judging the map, a judge's interest in winning could affect how he grades other people's maps :/

None.

May 7 2010, 6:03 am LoveLess Post #27

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Even if the other judges will be the ones judging the map, a judge's interest in winning could affect how he grades other people's maps :/
Not at all, you doubt us? The other judges will determine the score of their fellow judge's map, then we use our votes and select the two fairest gradings for each map, out of our three ratings. None of us would ever sway the votes and on top of that, we will not claim the prize for the contest. We simply want to get on the scoreboard.

None.

May 7 2010, 7:45 am Azrael Post #28

In the future, it might be a better idea to get more judges so the ones submitting maps won't be involved in judging their competition.

May 7 2010, 1:57 pm CecilSunkure Post #29

No, that would create less meaningful judgements. More judges will require more responsible and reliable people who have time to judge, which we are sort of short on. We aren't going to sacrifice quality for the sake of morality, or for the sake of quantity.

None.

May 8 2010, 4:05 pm CecilSunkure Post #30

There is a little over a day left for the contest!! Everyone start crunch crunching go go!!

None.

May 9 2010, 3:57 am UnholyUrine Post #31

If anything, I'd mark Cecil's map much harder.. :P

None.

May 9 2010, 4:32 am FoxWolf1 Post #32

Well, it doesn't look like I'll have a map for this round. I started something for it, but I'm just not going to have enough time before the deadline to finish it to my standards. Maybe next time...

None.

May 9 2010, 4:54 am LoveLess Post #33

Marianne

Sorry, I just don't have the focus to work on this right now. Home at a funeral and be glad I put a few hours into it today.

None.

May 9 2010, 5:16 am EzTerix Post #34

I'll probably definitely have some material by tomorrow, if not finished. Still working on triggers but after all that I'll have to go back and add in sounds :P

I swear my ideas seem small but then you try to make it and it just inflates by a thousand xD. Also I think my map is turning out interesting so that's good.

None.

May 9 2010, 5:49 am CecilSunkure Post #35

Awesome! Glad to hear it Ez. I look forward to trying the map out.

None.

May 9 2010, 10:12 pm LoveLess Post #36

Quote from CecilSunkure
There is a little overUNDER a day left for the contest!! Everyone start crunch crunching go go!!

None.

May 10 2010, 2:10 am lil-Inferno Post #37

Just here for the pie

I didn't get to finish my map because I had three days of being unable to access my PC due to real life reasons. I see that other people haven't completed their maps either so... HOW ABOUT A DEADLINE EXTENSION?

But here's my map so far. Note that the controls aren't explained and some parts are taken out for testing purposes, and I'm too lazy to fix that right now because it's pretty late and there are also a few bugs and parts that you may get stuck at due to them not being completed (IE: Trying to get to level 4 via the elevator). One Small Task.

May 10 2010, 2:23 am EzTerix Post #38

my map will be done in half an hour =)

http://www.staredit.net/files/2200/ Here's my game.

I only JUST worked on it for 8 hours straight ;p

Yeah it was fun and took way longer than I thought. I like the end product though. Any other version in the future will probably include minor things such as having friends observe you or footsteps. This however is a finished product =)

:D

btw it's a one player game. Play it on multiplayer though or else singleplayer centerview will not let you do anything ;p

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 10 2010, 3:22 am by EzTerix.

None.

May 10 2010, 2:58 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #39

Rescue Team - Two player RPG
http://www.mediafire.com/?djtg53gyxgh

Have fun!

None.

May 10 2010, 3:43 am CecilSunkure Post #40

Does anyone else need a slight extension? This isn't official at all and I haven't contacted any other judges, but since we had consecutive week long contests I'm willing to give a short extension. Although, if nobody responds to this I shall continue on as planned with the normal deadline.

Here is Azrael666's submission RPG: http://www.mediafire.com/?ytkhtcmyyog

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >
  Back to forum