Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Time to plan a SC2 AoS
Time to plan a SC2 AoS
Feb 12 2010, 4:09 am
By: fat_flying_pigs
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Polls

Feb 13 2010, 11:00 pm OlimarandLouie Post #21

I personally think that a 3rd person AoS would function a lot better than a 1st person AoS, because you wouldn't be able to spot ganks very easily in 1st person.

Also, I think I will end up creating custom skins/unit models. Don't take this as the only thing I will do, it's just what I think I will do. This might change once I mess around with the new editor, and/or find something that I'm better at.

None.

Feb 14 2010, 10:17 pm Queen-Gambit Post #22

I'd like to help out with this map. I have started working on wc3 map editing and I really encourage everyone to do the same. The GalaxyEditor will undoublty be similar to Worldedit having all of this wonderful GUI functions map makers can work on as well as unlimited customizations of spells/buffs. Being familiar with Worldedit will reduce the learning curve of the transition from SC directly to SC2.

AoS will undoubtedly explode into the sc2 scene. You will have many DotA allstars clones but a FPS AoS is definately something that can be made and popularized. Who wouldn't want to go around using WASD and mouse control?

Rough Brainstorm Ideas:

With and FPS AoS map I like to throw in the idea of using the new terrain levels on scII. It would be fun if players in this new AoS FPS be able to go underground as well as high towers and bridges. There should also be hidden destructable doodads around the map that can only be discovered from positioning your view camera in a certain way. I'd like to see some spells where air units come into battlefield and drop bombs. If your gonna have Assimilators that help give out gas like in Temple Siege, how about making them actual buildings u can go into and power up. Foes can also enter the builds from underground to sabotage the flow of minerals. Place different obstacles around the map that give players element defense. For example if player was ducked behind a rock, they would get +10% reduce damage from spells that do earth damage. If player was nearby water, they get reduce damage from water spell. Each hero should have different unique vision restrictions. For example if chosen hero rine, player cannot see far away compared to a player that chooses hero ghost. Make the ghost have zoom. Have neutral defense systems in the map; have xel'naga towers to help vision. Instead of just simply one Temple building, how about a series of scattered buildings in a conquest type map. The AoS comp players will spawn in a total of 6 spawn areas, each team controls 3. When players dominate a certain area, they can control that spawn area. I've seen this on Star wars: battlefront and its really fun FPS. (Next idea) maybe have a Big Obelisk in the center of the map. Team that gets kills nearby obelisk would power up the obelisk. When the Obelisk gets enough power, it will do a Colossus like attack but greatly amplified. Instead of custom Heroes with custom spells, how about buildable Sentries that can be placed around in map (come from Team fortress idea from engineers). in that game engineers was able to build supply vending machines, turret sentries and warp gates. A AoS FPS map that is only made up of different islands would be interestin as well. Comp players will constantly spawn dropships and fly to different island with marines inside. Players in begining-game can only harvest minerals and defenses. In mid-game players will be able to construct bridges for tech units like tanks to go in. Players can 'hop' inside a tank or a scv just like in Storm the fort. By mid to end-game, hero players will be allowed to bring their hero unit to enemy fortresses and DotA it. Pyramid Abyss - AoS FPS comp stomp. Each team will have a massive pyramid that they must climb up to activate its colossus beam artillery power in the Top tip. The Pyramid will be a heavily fortified with comps. Players will be in 1st person and can acquire DotA like spells. Once team reaches the top of the pyramid, that team can go an seige the opponents own pyramid. mid-end game, each team will have reached the top of the pyramid and be able to siege each others base commensing a classic DotA match. What makes this unique will be the use of 3D tunnels that labyrinths the pyramid. Zombie Siege - in this crazy fps AoS. Each team starts out in an abandon town base located in the jungle (similar to Shi No Numa Nazi Zombies). Each team will have their own abandon town base in each corner of the map and must survive the assault of zombie comps. In mid-game players will walk around killing zombies as well as discovering more area in the abandon town. Players will be able to access different weapons from traveling to different complexes as well as powering up the abandoned defense turret systems. In this AoS FPS, players will have to gain control of their entire town base and power up the main bridge while surviving spawns of zombies. Once players power up their base, a drop bridge will connect the two cliffs thus accessing the opponents base. Be warned, Powering up the base and accessing the bridge changes the gameplay. Once that happens players will open up another flow of zombies from their opponents base to their own. It will also decesase the pressure of zombies from your opponents base to your own giving your opponents the advantage of powering up their base faster. in End-game, the two bridges will be connected and players will be able to get into a AoS FPS classic DotA game. Like in Custom Hero Wars, have a ragnarok or diablo comp player that u can challenge and get bonus point if u defeat it (seen in DotA as well) I'd also would like to have a Complete Port of AoS into SC2. With that, add and experiment with different rules and customizations. It would be really interesting to see a AoS thats only uses flying units. You start out in the underground with mostly zerg units and melees. Beg-mid game, teams can surface and start teching to mostly terran unis and ranged. Mid-end game players can access flying ships. End-game, players can access their mothership and commodore different ships as well as control the comp ground forces

None.

Feb 14 2010, 10:27 pm Queen-Gambit Post #23

Quote from ShredderIV
I pretty much agree with unholy... A first person AoS would ruin the genre imo.
The whole point of an AoS is that it's very team oriented and focused on micro. Only being able to see in front of you pretty much ruins the whole aspect.

One can argue that DotA has ruined the WC3 creativity scene being it so popular. Map makers shouldn't be bound to such political stance as trying to conserve ideas. SC2 will be great to discover, progress and evolved different types of maps and be able to experiment on styles of gameplay. The sc2 community will be big enough to have diverse players that will stick with different styles of custom maps and melees.

If it 'ruins' the aspect, might as well call it something else. Nevertheless, that won't stop the mass clones of Dotas, Towers, rpg, FPS maps from producing. For they are just ruining the aspect of (insert original idea).

None.

Feb 14 2010, 11:48 pm ImagoDeo Post #24

Quote from Queen-Gambit
I'd like to help out with this map. I have started working on wc3 map editing and I really encourage everyone to do the same. The GalaxyEditor will undoublty be similar to Worldedit having all of this wonderful GUI functions map makers can work on as well as unlimited customizations of spells/buffs. Being familiar with Worldedit will reduce the learning curve of the transition from SC directly to SC2.

AoS will undoubtedly explode into the sc2 scene. You will have many DotA allstars clones but a FPS AoS is definately something that can be made and popularized. Who wouldn't want to go around using WASD and mouse control?

Rough Brainstorm Ideas:

With and FPS AoS map I like to throw in the idea of using the new terrain levels on scII. It would be fun if players in this new AoS FPS be able to go underground as well as high towers and bridges. There should also be hidden destructable doodads around the map that can only be discovered from positioning your view camera in a certain way. I'd like to see some spells where air units come into battlefield and drop bombs. If your gonna have Assimilators that help give out gas like in Temple Siege, how about making them actual buildings u can go into and power up. Foes can also enter the builds from underground to sabotage the flow of minerals. Place different obstacles around the map that give players element defense. For example if player was ducked behind a rock, they would get +10% reduce damage from spells that do earth damage. If player was nearby water, they get reduce damage from water spell. Each hero should have different unique vision restrictions. For example if chosen hero rine, player cannot see far away compared to a player that chooses hero ghost. Make the ghost have zoom. Have neutral defense systems in the map; have xel'naga towers to help vision. Instead of just simply one Temple building, how about a series of scattered buildings in a conquest type map. The AoS comp players will spawn in a total of 6 spawn areas, each team controls 3. When players dominate a certain area, they can control that spawn area. I've seen this on Star wars: battlefront and its really fun FPS. (Next idea) maybe have a Big Obelisk in the center of the map. Team that gets kills nearby obelisk would power up the obelisk. When the Obelisk gets enough power, it will do a Colossus like attack but greatly amplified. Instead of custom Heroes with custom spells, how about buildable Sentries that can be placed around in map (come from Team fortress idea from engineers). in that game engineers was able to build supply vending machines, turret sentries and warp gates. A AoS FPS map that is only made up of different islands would be interestin as well. Comp players will constantly spawn dropships and fly to different island with marines inside. Players in begining-game can only harvest minerals and defenses. In mid-game players will be able to construct bridges for tech units like tanks to go in. Players can 'hop' inside a tank or a scv just like in Storm the fort. By mid to end-game, hero players will be allowed to bring their hero unit to enemy fortresses and DotA it. Pyramid Abyss - AoS FPS comp stomp. Each team will have a massive pyramid that they must climb up to activate its colossus beam artillery power in the Top tip. The Pyramid will be a heavily fortified with comps. Players will be in 1st person and can acquire DotA like spells. Once team reaches the top of the pyramid, that team can go an seige the opponents own pyramid. mid-end game, each team will have reached the top of the pyramid and be able to siege each others base commensing a classic DotA match. What makes this unique will be the use of 3D tunnels that labyrinths the pyramid. Zombie Siege - in this crazy fps AoS. Each team starts out in an abandon town base located in the jungle (similar to Shi No Numa Nazi Zombies). Each team will have their own abandon town base in each corner of the map and must survive the assault of zombie comps. In mid-game players will walk around killing zombies as well as discovering more area in the abandon town. Players will be able to access different weapons from traveling to different complexes as well as powering up the abandoned defense turret systems. In this AoS FPS, players will have to gain control of their entire town base and power up the main bridge while surviving spawns of zombies. Once players power up their base, a drop bridge will connect the two cliffs thus accessing the opponents base. Be warned, Powering up the base and accessing the bridge changes the gameplay. Once that happens players will open up another flow of zombies from their opponents base to their own. It will also decesase the pressure of zombies from your opponents base to your own giving your opponents the advantage of powering up their base faster. in End-game, the two bridges will be connected and players will be able to get into a AoS FPS classic DotA game. Like in Custom Hero Wars, have a ragnarok or diablo comp player that u can challenge and get bonus point if u defeat it (seen in DotA as well) I'd also would like to have a Complete Port of AoS into SC2. With that, add and experiment with different rules and customizations. It would be really interesting to see a AoS thats only uses flying units. You start out in the underground with mostly zerg units and melees. Beg-mid game, teams can surface and start teching to mostly terran unis and ranged. Mid-end game players can access flying ships. End-game, players can access their mothership and commodore different ships as well as control the comp ground forces

Quote from Combat Log
-Wall of text crits you for 42934097238074.
-You die.
-Your items take 10% durability damage.

Seriously, dude - how long did it take you to write that?!

On another note, I'll help in any way I can. Probably mostly by testing. But we'll see.

None.

Feb 15 2010, 12:08 am Wing Zero Post #25

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from ImagoDeo
Quote from Combat Log
-Wall of text crits you for 42934097238074.
-You die.
-Your items take 10% durability damage.

On another note, I'll help in any way I can. Probably mostly by testing. But we'll see.

If i wrote that it would have taken me days, in part because i write slow and in part because i would keep forgetting what i was writing.

BTW Queen i loved desert strike its such a fun map to play

Feb 15 2010, 1:38 am Queen-Gambit Post #26

Quote from ImagoDeo

not that long. I just wrote whatever came from my head. Im bored and waiting for a patch to finish downloading for a game

None.

Feb 15 2010, 3:27 am Lt.Church Post #27

I gave up reading queen-gambit's post after the third line, no formatting makes my brain and eyes hurt...

None.

Feb 15 2010, 6:28 am TiKels Post #28

You would probably do yourself and your ideas good if you provided SOME sort of structure, or at least bullet points, because that is UNREADABLE. And this is not a "TL;DR". That is really just... unreadable. The lack of spacing between the lines makes it so that (on my nice 1680x1050 moniter at least) so hard just to transition your eyes from one line to the next.

Organize your thoughts in a friendly fashion. I don't care how you do it. Make an outline (but don't tell dem0n ;o)

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Feb 15 2010, 6:35 am TiKels Post #29

Four out of four people find your post Too Long. I felt this deserved its own post.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Feb 15 2010, 5:03 pm Wing Zero Post #30

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Relax dude, he/she is only trying to help.

Feb 16 2010, 2:17 am fat_flying_pigs Post #31

Quote from Queen-Gambit
You will have many DotA allstars clones but a FPS AoS is definately something that can be made and popularized. Who wouldn't want to go around using WASD and mouse control?
This is why I wanted FPS: original + easy on nubs; most nubs know how to play a fps game.

Rough Brainstorm Ideas:

With and FPS AoS map I like to throw in the idea of using the new terrain levels on scII. It would be fun if players in this new AoS FPS be able to go underground as well as high towers and bridges.
Terrain height will most definitely be used.
There should also be hidden destructable doodads around the map that can only be discovered from positioning your view camera in a certain way.
I didn't know this could be done, but since it can, It will most definitely be used. This will mainly be used to provide advantages/disadvantages to ranged units attacking bases and ambushes.
I'd like to see some spells where air units come into battlefield and drop bombs.
A possible idea... The air unit would have hp and the other team would be able to shoot it down.
If your gonna have Assimilators that help give out gas like in Temple Siege, how about making them actual buildings u can go into and power up. Foes can also enter the builds from underground to sabotage the flow of minerals.
There will be many unclaimed outposts when the map starts. The players may choose where to send their computer to create a base. I intend for the computer to play an active role in the game. (ie: If a resource point is found, the computer will send a worker to build a building there. Later, that scv would build a bunker and turrets.)
Place different obstacles around the map that give players element defense. For example if player was ducked behind a rock, they would get +10% reduce damage from spells that do earth damage. If player was nearby water, they get reduce damage from water spell.
Potential idea. Keep in mind, I don't want this to turn into a WC3 like game, with elves, and magic. I'd like a more realistic out look at the game: electricity, gravity, time?, psionic, metal, organic matter, etc.
Each hero should have different unique vision restrictions. For example if chosen hero rine, player cannot see far away compared to a player that chooses hero ghost. Make the ghost have zoom.
Sight will be implemented depending on the map editor... If possibly, I'd like to make things look more blurry to certain heroes rather than restrict their vision of that area. In real life, when something is far away, it just looks blurry, but you can still see it.
Have neutral defense systems in the map; have xel'naga towers to help vision.
Neutral players will have prebuilt bases, (random start point) and attack both teams. Their bases can be killed for exp and to take their resources.
Instead of just simply one Temple building, how about a series of scattered buildings in a conquest type map. The AoS comp players will spawn in a total of 6 spawn areas, each team controls 3. When players dominate a certain area, they can control that spawn area. I've seen this on Star wars: battlefront and its really fun FPS.
As said above, each team can* start in 1 spot, and potentially expand to different areas. Possibility of 10-30 new expansion spots, some of which will be occupied by neutral players.
(Next idea) maybe have a Big Obelisk in the center of the map. Team that gets kills nearby obelisk would power up the obelisk. When the Obelisk gets enough power, it will do a Colossus like attack but greatly amplified.
No.
Instead of custom Heroes with custom spells, how about buildable Sentries that can be placed around in map (come from Team fortress idea from engineers). in that game engineers was able to build supply vending machines, turret sentries and warp gates.
This will be a job that the computer player does. Instead of being able to buy a probe, each human player may order his computer player to do certain actions at specific areas. (build gas, build defense, attack + occupy enemy outpost, destroy enemy outpost, etc.) The more tactical a unit is (by preset build and level) the more he can interact with his base computer.
A AoS FPS map that is only made up of different islands would be interestin as well. Comp players will constantly spawn dropships and fly to different island with marines inside. Players in begining-game can only harvest minerals and defenses. In mid-game players will be able to construct bridges for tech units like tanks to go in. Players can 'hop' inside a tank or a scv just like in Storm the fort. By mid to end-game, hero players will be allowed to bring their hero unit to enemy fortresses and DotA it.
Possible use of islands, but not the entire map... Entering vehicles will be available to certain units (a feature that SC: Ghost displayed).
Pyramid Abyss - AoS FPS comp stomp. Each team will have a massive pyramid that they must climb up to activate its colossus beam artillery power in the Top tip. The Pyramid will be a heavily fortified with comps. Players will be in 1st person and can acquire DotA like spells. Once team reaches the top of the pyramid, that team can go an seige the opponents own pyramid. mid-end game, each team will have reached the top of the pyramid and be able to siege each others base commensing a classic DotA match. What makes this unique will be the use of 3D tunnels that labyrinths the pyramid.
Not exactly what I was thinking...
Zombie Siege - in this crazy fps AoS. Each team starts out in an abandon town base located in the jungle (similar to Shi No Numa Nazi Zombies). Each team will have their own abandon town base in each corner of the map and must survive the assault of zombie comps. In mid-game players will walk around killing zombies as well as discovering more area in the abandon town. Players will be able to access different weapons from traveling to different complexes as well as powering up the abandoned defense turret systems. In this AoS FPS, players will have to gain control of their entire town base and power up the main bridge while surviving spawns of zombies. Once players power up their base, a drop bridge will connect the two cliffs thus accessing the opponents base. Be warned, Powering up the base and accessing the bridge changes the gameplay. Once that happens players will open up another flow of zombies from their opponents base to their own. It will also decesase the pressure of zombies from your opponents base to your own giving your opponents the advantage of powering up their base faster. in End-game, the two bridges will be connected and players will be able to get into a AoS FPS classic DotA game.
The idea of building/powering up bridges may be used.
Like in Custom Hero Wars, have a ragnarok or diablo comp player that u can challenge and get bonus point if u defeat it (seen in DotA as well)
I intended to include some super creeps, or possibly heroes for the neutral players.
I'd also would like to have a Complete Port of AoS into SC2. With that, add and experiment with different rules and customizations.
What is a "Complete Port"?
It would be really interesting to see a AoS thats only uses flying units. You start out in the underground with mostly zerg units and melees. Beg-mid game, teams can surface and start teching to mostly terran unis and ranged. Mid-end game players can access flying ships. End-game, players can access their mothership and commodore different ships as well as control the comp ground forces
This map will use air units. It will also use burrowed+moving units. It's unrealistic to think that at the end of a war, both sides start making huge air ships. More likely that they have been making a verity of units since day 1, and as their buildings+production facilities die, they spawn less units. The game can* start with 1 base, and a small production. As the computer takes over different outposts, they gain more money, and therefore more unit production.

God damn you type a lot... (that's 5 out of 5 now :P)

None.

Feb 16 2010, 3:09 am fat_flying_pigs Post #32

This is just a theoretical layout of the map. It's not fancy or well thought out at all. Feel free to submit layout you can think of. The description is just my out look at the map. It is in no way the final product of what this map will be.

Black: Space - air units only
Brown: Ground
Red: Possible base start point. The other 2 red dots will be occupied by a neutral player
Green: Outpost
Purple: Outpost occupied by neutral player
Blue: Outpost occupied by neutral player

I was thinking of making this map similar to a real life war (+aliens!).

Your group is an expeditionary group on some planet, and have scouted another force (other team). Although the natives seem nice, the other team does not, and they have killed several of your scouts and diplomats. Since diplomacy does not seem a possibly option, there is only one left: war. You begin the game at this point, with 1 base (randomly chosen start base), as a soldier. Your rank may vary: a more tactical unit will start higher, like a lieutenant, while an elite soldier (think master chief) starts as a private/Sargent. Psionic units will most likely play a "special ops" role, and be more of a solo unit that tends not to issue mass orders to the rest of the army.

Now your each human player per team has some choices: go level their hero, explore the map for their computer (and issue orders to build/rally units), attack enemy bases, attack neutral units (aka: natives), defend the base, etc. Obviously the first move of most teams will be to expand. However, if this is done without proper scouting, it may provoke a neutral computer (territory)(the aggressiveness of a neutral player will be random). Or perhaps, a hero will scout the enemy base (keep in mind that it is randomly chosen), and possibly kill a worker building an outpost; this would affect the enemy progress (time) and resources (to build scv). [a scv is required to start a building, and as it builds, it accelerates the build process; it is not required to finish the building.]

Now some decision must be made: it is likely that air units will be in play, that a neutral player is attacking you, and the enemy team is scouting/poking your allied computer. Maybe the enemy has found your unprotected assim, or maybe a neutral player has. The game unfolds...

A "spell" may be the ability to get a new weapon, use a psionic ability, call some spawn to your control, etc.
There will be advantage of terrain heights, cliffs, trees, and buildings?
You win when you kill the other team (and all neutral computers that are attacking you?).

None.

Feb 16 2010, 3:28 am OlimarandLouie Post #33

I was thinking, with that 4 base layout, would it be legit to do these things?
1 - Random Start Locations with everywhere covered with Fog of War, to promote "scouting" the enemy early game?
2 - A four team FFA (With 2-3 players per team)
3 - A *gasp* 2base VS 2base, with 2-3 players per base? (Kind of defeats the purpose... but...)
4 - Any other combination of teams, 1v1v2, 3v1, etc.

These of course would be optional rule sets determined before the game started.

None.

Mar 21 2010, 3:27 am fat_flying_pigs Post #34

This map will be either a third person shooter, or third person aerial view.

Ok, so I've finally created a balanced system with unique abilities. A lot of things haven't been listed (the below collapsible box). I created some unique variables that can/will affect the others, making the game very much more complex, yet still balance-able.

Unit Attributes

Try using some real world ideas/physics. Poison/radiation wont work on a non organic unit. Decay could, since acid can "decay" things. Large units probably won't move fast, but will be stronger, etc.

He are some hero builds I made. I will be making 10 of each T, P, Z, TP, TZ, PZ, and possibly TPZ (thats 60-70 heroes). Tell me what you think of the ones I made, or post your own hero ideas. Feel free to expand on heroes I or others have made (looks, attributes, spells/abilities, personality, background story, etc.).

Hero Builds

note that low energy regen = normal energy regen rate
psi dom = psionic dominance
"elemental" spells/attacks are things like lightning, gravity manipulation, emp, etc. Things that aren't just bullets and laz0rs.

Quote from OlimarandLouie
I was thinking, with that 4 base layout, would it be legit to do these things?
1 - Random Start Locations with everywhere covered with Fog of War, to promote "scouting" the enemy early game?
2 - A four team FFA (With 2-3 players per team)
3 - A *gasp* 2base VS 2base, with 2-3 players per base? (Kind of defeats the purpose... but...)
4 - Any other combination of teams, 1v1v2, 3v1, etc.

These of course would be optional rule sets determined before the game started.
1) yes. I'd like the start points to be random enough that the computer + human players must scout, then formulate a plan and attack accordingly.
2) Different options + game types can be added, it wouldn't be hard. However, the main game type would be 1 team vs 1 team
3) maybe, but it would just be another game option, not the main game.
4) said above.

None.

Mar 21 2010, 3:48 am Centreri Post #35

Relatively ancient and inactive

I recommend not trying to put together a group yet. No one has the game, let alone has had time to see what they're good at and what they'll need to spend a lot of time practicing.

None.

Mar 21 2010, 6:25 am fat_flying_pigs Post #36

Quote from Centreri
I recommend not trying to put together a group yet. No one has the game, let alone has had time to see what they're good at and what they'll need to spend a lot of time practicing.
There is much that can be done before the game comes out. Hero idea, spells, general descriptions, possible map layouts, and other things.

None.

Mar 21 2010, 10:43 am NudeRaider Post #37

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from UnholyUrine
Also it's Variety* :)
*variety

Quote from Lt.Church
because first person melee seems REALLY awkward :ermm:
You obviously haven't played Brick, the most fun character of Borderlands.

Yes, first person will not be the same as DotA, but who says it has to? First person offers its own gameplay elements, like sneaking up from behind, lurking in a tree, blinking out of sight, crawling behind cover, the list goes on.

Mar 24 2010, 9:27 pm ShadowFlare Post #38

I don't think there would really be anything wrong with it being a first person view.

One thing that came to mind was that respawn times will probably need to be shorter than a typical AoS, partly because a skilled player may be able to solo an entire team even with the other team having higher levels. That is, if it is possible to dodge things, anyway. Sometimes people do it on FPS games, using one of the weaker weapons to kill multiple players who had stronger weapons.

None.

Mar 25 2010, 3:31 am fat_flying_pigs Post #39

Quote from ShadowFlare
I don't think there would really be anything wrong with it being a first person view.

One thing that came to mind was that respawn times will probably need to be shorter than a typical AoS, partly because a skilled player may be able to solo an entire team even with the other team having higher levels. That is, if it is possible to dodge things, anyway. Sometimes people do it on FPS games, using one of the weaker weapons to kill multiple players who had stronger weapons.
FPS Melee would either be a cool new concept, or immediately be rejected for being "weird"

Many of the good weapons will spawn with the hero. It is likely that there will be no ammo system, as weapons such as "swords" and "claws" and "fangs/tusks" will have unlimited usage. Other things such as "acid" (hydra) would have to either regenerate slowly or be unlimited.

Dodging things will be passive; no spell will make a unit a 100% invulnerable. There will be counter spells, abilities, and possibly purchasable items.

Things to add:
Random flying "shop" come into map; it lands/lifts off and moves around. Any hero can purchase his wares till he leaves. Items do not regenerate (new shop = new items).
A team can decide (and order spawn) to kill a shop. The shop auto allies the other team when attacked. Killing the shop = money, exp, and special items.
If a shop allies a team, it flys to their base. The shop then gives out free common items, spawns some units (ie: medics), and generates gold for the team (randomly).

All buildings will be able to load units like bunkers. Not all unit types can go into buildings. Certain units/heroes can order spawn to enter a building to protect it.
Some heroes will be able to enter bunkers/buildings (depending on size of unit, and size of building). Melee units won't be able to attack.
Base medics/workers will heal/repair you. The repair is free, but is slowww. Option to turn off healing your hero (so meds can help your spawn).
There will be base operations, such as mining, building men, and scouting. base mining affects the amount of computer units built, and amount of income allied heroes receive.
Full tech tree available from day 1. Base computer is limited by resources, time to build the unit, and the current need of the unit (air won't be as important if their base is packed with anti air units).

Random start locations. Random native tribe start locations. Random native tribe aggressiveness. Some tribes will fight w/ each other. Some tribes will ally you (conditions must be met). This adds a diplomacy portion to the game, as well as side quests.
Tribes will have their own mineral fields (possibly high yield if you are lucky :D), gas, production buildings, and shops.
It will be possible to take over a building. Since most buildings function as bunkers, if the building is dealt 100% damage, 50% of the max units amount will die. To capture a building, there must be no units inside. So if the max is 20, and the building has 9 inside, doing 90% damage to the building will kill all units inside. The building can then be captured (by hero order, or if a computer hero order) or destroyed if you are in a hurry.

Special buildings may be included that expand the resources to more than just minerals and gas. Such things would include: fuel, energy, a rare substance of some sort. Maybe minerals can be melted to make fuel, or perhaps fuel will have to be drilled for.
NOTE: Vehicles will not use fuel to move. It will be a 1 time cost to produce a unit.
Heroes only use minerals at shops. Other resources may be needed for spells/abilities. Resource conversion from anything -> minerals is free. From minerals -> other resources will have an extra fee.

Heroes will not be able to fly by them selves. At best, they will be transported by a dropship.

Computer player will have some units that are stronger and run better ai scripts around them. The better they are, the higher their rank. The #1 ranking general is in a building at your base. If your main is getting raped, he will get out and run away. The main base will always have the best ai. These computer units are considered to be "computer heroes."

Lastly: This map will be based on coding, and unit/building/spell graphics. Terrain graphics/terraining in general will be kept a separate factor so that other terrain could be potentially used for the same game.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 25 2010, 3:45 am by fat_flying_pigs.

None.

Mar 25 2010, 7:51 am ShadowFlare Post #40

Passive dodging in an FPS? I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum