Map Protection
Oct 27 2007, 6:32 am
By: woland  

Oct 27 2007, 6:32 am woland Post #1

Hello guys. I'm having protection problems, I am currently using uberation 2.0 to protect my maps, but it seems for some odd reason it is just fucking up. I am wondering if there is some other map protection program I could try since uberation 3.0 does some serious modifications to your maps and 2.0 doesnt work for me. Thx in advance

None.

Oct 27 2007, 7:18 am AntiSleep Post #2

Why protect it in the first place? Uberation2 works fine for protection, just don't use the compression. Uberation3 will just corrupt your map.

The only reason I see for protection is for tournament maps, and possibly maps that require a lot of post-release balancing, where you need robust version control.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 8:22 am woland Post #3

Well I'm making a really good map and I don't like other people gettin credit for it. As with the compression you were right, no longer do I get the sc shutdown error, but still, I get a new error. One I never seen before and it only happens after i use uberation2

Error Loading Scenario File: The map could not be loaded because it has too many obstructions. Try widening corridors and crannies to correct the problem.

Again, I have to make emphasis that I only get thir error after I "uberate" it

None.

Oct 27 2007, 10:17 am MindArchon Post #4

That error is caused by uberation2 splitting the MTXM section incorrectly

Uberation3 doesn't do this. You can try that. Or use OSMAP2 compression, which is basically the same thing as protection.

Uberation2 protection is actually more extensive then Uberation3.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 1:57 pm Akar Post #5

Except for the fact OSMAP 2 is an unprotector.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 2:51 pm Ganthos64 Post #6

Yea it is , ive tried it and got confused how to use it. :)
yaaaaay +2 minerals

None.

Oct 27 2007, 4:09 pm Fwop_ Post #7

OSMap 2 has a compression (or protection) feature, too.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 2:14 pm Viii_iiiV Post #8

Quote from woland
Well I'm making a really good map and I don't like other people gettin credit for it. As with the compression you were right, no longer do I get the sc shutdown error, but still, I get a new error. One I never seen before and it only happens after i use uberation2

Error Loading Scenario File: The map could not be loaded because it has too many obstructions. Try widening corridors and crannies to correct the problem.

Again, I have to make emphasis that I only get thir error after I "uberate" it

I got that same error when I uberated my map (see map showcase if you want to see it).
If you reeaaally need to protect it, you could always fiddle about in the hex editor.
Or just use GUEedit - I know its easy to unprotect but OSMAP opens anything, so it doesn't really matter.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 2:52 pm Akar Post #9

You don't need a fancy protector, any protector that is very weak will do (the ones that corrupt very little), because even the strongest ones will get broken. Although, there are A LOT of people that have no clue about hexedit and OSMAP. So they can struggle with unprotected maps, and never get them open.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 8:19 pm blacklight28 Post #10

I don't even know how to protect maps.... Does OSMap work for protecting maps?

None.

Oct 28 2007, 8:21 pm Twitch Post #11

Quote from Akar
You don't need a fancy protector, any protector that is very weak will do (the ones that corrupt very little), because even the strongest ones will get broken. Although, there are A LOT of people that have no clue about hexedit and OSMAP. So they can struggle with unprotected maps, and never get them open.
Yeah so why worry much thats why if I ever use protection I just use simple uberation2.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 8:45 pm Akar Post #12

Thats so contradictory it is funny. No, Legacy Weapon doesn't support the whole protection policy, thats why he made OSMAP.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 9:51 pm Fwop_ Post #13

Quote from MindArchon
Or use OSMAP2 compression, which is basically the same thing as protection.

@Akar: Did you not even read this? OSMap 2 has protection also.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 10:48 pm Ultraviolet Post #14

Quote from Fwop_
Quote from MindArchon

BASICALLY the same thing. I've never used OSMAP, but I think what happens is the compression removes all comments and whatnot so that the map basically becomes impossible to change. It's not actual protection, it just makes it hard as hell to edit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 20 2008, 10:50 pm by NerdyTerdy.

Oct 29 2007, 11:04 pm MindArchon Post #15

Quote from NerdyTerdy
Quote from Fwop_
Quote from MindArchon

BASICALLY the same thing. I've never used OSMAP, but I think what happens is the compression removes all comments and whatnot so that the map basically becomes impossible to change. It's not actual protection, it just makes it hard as hell to edit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Protection and compression are pretty much synonyms for each other. The majority of protection is compression, but protection takes it a step further by splitting up sections and corrupting other data.

I would say the majority of protection (>90%) can be considered compression techniques.

None.

Oct 31 2007, 4:57 am FatalException Post #16

Quote from Akar
Thats so contradictory it is funny. No, Legacy Weapon doesn't support the whole protection policy, thats why he made OSMAP.
... Didn't LegacyWeapon make Uberation? :0_o:

None.

Oct 31 2007, 5:07 am Ultraviolet Post #17

Quote from FatalException
Quote from Akar
... Didn't LegacyWeapon make Uberation? :0_o:

He changed his philosophy.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 20 2008, 10:50 pm by NerdyTerdy.

Oct 31 2007, 5:25 am modmaster50 Post #18

Make sure you keep a non-protected copy of ur own maps, or else you wont be very happy when you need to edit it.

None.

Options
  Back to forum