Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: RPG Submissions
RPG Submissions
Jan 14 2010, 7:03 pm
By: Kaias
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >

Jan 18 2010, 4:19 am CecilSunkure Post #81

I'm sure all of the judges can handle their bias perfectly well, and you don't need to worry about it :)

Clarification:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:23 am KilaByte Post #82

Yes I looked it up already. I still don't see how it fits in your post under that context.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:30 am LoveLess Post #83

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

KilaByte, I haven't finished a single map and that doesn't make me any less of a decent/good mapper.

You on the other hand, are arrogant like many mappers that will never grow in potential, because you think you're better than others. Never assume this, or you can never continiously learn more and grow in knowledge/skill. Such as where I said that I had used a system like yours many times. Instead of asking questions about how I did it, compare it to yours and see if theres anything that could improve, you shunned me off and said some crap about how you doubt my system was anything like yours.

I am going to end the argument here, because you should know your wrong and just shut up.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:38 am KilaByte Post #84

Loveless,

What was that? All I heard was 'blah, blah, blah I'm a dirty slut"
haha :)

I never said I was going to win, I just said I disagreed with you picks for winners. I also said that my chances of winning are better than yours, which is a fact. If anyone's arrogance is being shown here it is yours by deciding that you picks are right and nobody can disagree with you.

But I applaud you taking the high road and stopping the argument here, even if you did try and do it after you got in the last comment. We will see if that holds true.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 4:44 am CecilSunkure Post #85

Hey hey, just because I wanted to defend decisions made about the contest doesn't mean you two can go off arguing in this topic. Take it to pms; nobody wants to hear it.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:04 am Vrael Post #86

Yeah I already won the contest anyway, I bribed all the -- I mean, my map is so superior that it's a shoe-in for me.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:05 am stickynote Post #87

You guys should really stop bickering. It's a waste of pages.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 5:12 am KilaByte Post #88

I will agree that the last two post's were irrelevant and mindless bickering. But, there is no reason to get upset about a couple misdirected posts. I also think that any post related to the contest entry's, and judging (Considering there is a community judging) is completely relevant and belongs in the post. That being said, the rules have been cleared up, mostly, for me. Judges cannot win the contest. If I am wrong, and post's pertaining to contest winners, judging, and judging criteria, belong somewhere else then please direct me to that thread so I can post my concerns there.

EDIT: I lied, apparently judges can win. This contest / challenge is turning into a huge joke.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 18 2010, 6:08 am by KilaByte.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 11:26 am qPirateKing Post #89

Ahoy contestants!

I understand that there is a lot of confusion right now, and many people are unhappy with the way that things are being run. Be it because they feel that the original rules of the contest have changed or because they feel that things are not being the run the right way, there is a great deal of discontent.

Let's not dwell on it.

Instead, let's focus on getting the show on the road!

The first thing that I will address is the very idea of having judges. As some of you know, this was NOT the original plan. The original plan was to have the will of the people decide the winner, but it was decided that this would not suffice. There will still be a popular vote, and a very special award will be given to the winner of the voting process. But, because SEN is more than just that community -- because it is a site with knowledgeable people who are willing to graciously give their time and effort poring over every single map that is released -- we have decided that it would be worthwhile to have judges to recognise the finer points in ways a simple poll cannot express. We judges are here to provide a service, so I ask for your acceptance of our role.

Secondly, I would like to personally apologise for the lack of organisation! I know that things have not gone smoothly, and that the contest was supposed to closed more than two weeks ago. Some of you are displeased with the fact that new versions are constantly being submitted even though the deadline is past. I'm not happy with it either, and I understand it if you feel cheated because you busted your humps to get your map in on time. However, because we are still figuring out the judging process, no judging has actually been done yet. Similarly, no poll has been set up for the public voting. Rest assured that these things will be settled by the end of the week. I will announce the HARD deadline by Wednesday if possible. Until then, consider yourselves lucky -- you still have time to work.

Judging criteria will also be announced as it becomes available. Once again, I know that things aren't entirely fair for everyone and I apologise for not being able to please all parties. Hopefully I have lessened your fury at least a little bit. If you have any questions, please ask them in this thread. Otherwise, look forward to hearing more in the coming days. Have a good week, and happy mapping!

None.

Jan 18 2010, 11:57 am EzTerix Post #90

Quote from qPirateKing

Secondly, I would like to personally apologise for the lack of organisation! I know that things have not gone smoothly, and that the contest was supposed to closed more than two weeks ago. Some of you are displeased with the fact that new versions are constantly being submitted even though the deadline is past. I'm not happy with it either, and I understand it if you feel cheated because you busted your humps to get your map in on time. However, because we are still figuring out the judging process, no judging has actually been done yet. Similarly, no poll has been set up for the public voting. Rest assured that these things will be settled by the end of the week. I will announce the HARD deadline by Wednesday if possible. Until then, consider yourselves lucky -- you still have time to work.

Judging criteria will also be announced as it becomes available. Once again, I know that things aren't entirely fair for everyone and I apologise for not being able to please all parties. Hopefully I have lessened your fury at least a little bit. If you have any questions, please ask them in this thread. Otherwise, look forward to hearing more in the coming days. Have a good week, and happy mapping!

Hurray! The final version of my game will surely be tomorrow. Sorry if some of you feel cheated. I've been working on my map for about 5 months avidly. I just wanted to polish my map so I and others wouldn't be disappointed with the final product. Anyway thanks for the update

None.

Jan 18 2010, 12:06 pm The Starport Post #91

Quote from qPirateKing
Secondly, I would like to personally apologise for the lack of organisation! I know that things have not gone smoothly, and that the contest was supposed to closed more than two weeks ago. Some of you are displeased with the fact that new versions are constantly being submitted even though the deadline is past. I'm not happy with it either, and I understand it if you feel cheated because you busted your humps to get your map in on time.
You guys were far too naive to expect consistently making decent Starcraft RPGs to be anything even close to resembling a straightforward task. :P

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 18 2010, 12:13 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 12:19 pm MadZombie Post #92

Hah, I don't understand how the updates are even an issue. What you submitted is what you submitted. Should you choose to update your map then that's you updating your map outside of this contest. Nuff said. How is this even an argument issue :hurr:? w/e

double w/e D:

None.

Jan 18 2010, 12:21 pm EzTerix Post #93

Quote from MadZombie
Hah, I don't understand how the updates are even an issue. What you submitted is what you submitted. Should you choose to update your map then that's you updating your map outside of this contest. Nuff said. How is this even an argument? w/e

It's not an argument because they just allowed it until Wednesday.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 12:50 pm OlimarandLouie Post #94

Quote from KilaByte
Thanks OlimarandLouie. Also why does your sig say Majora when that is clearly skull kid wearing Majora's mask?
After the first person figures out the connection between my avatar and my signature, I will tell everyone. (It's one of those "Aha! How could I be so stupid?" things :teehee: )

However if you do have a guess, PM it to me or you can go too far and make a topic in Null about it :|

None.

Jan 18 2010, 2:08 pm ClansAreForGays Post #95

Be it because they feel that the original rules of the contest have changed or...
It's really misleading when you say it that way, as if it's a matter of interpretation. Do you feel bad just saying "Be it because the original rules of the contest were changed..." ?

Jan 18 2010, 3:09 pm TiKels Post #96

Quote from MadZombie
Hah, I don't understand how the updates are even an issue. What you submitted is what you submitted. Should you choose to update your map then that's you updating your map outside of this contest. Nuff said. How is this even an argument issue :hurr:? w/e

double w/e D:

It might be because some of the maps were updated completely, as in there IS no old copy on the main post, as in they UPDATED the map on the host website itself. Isn't that a problem ?

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 18 2010, 5:10 pm KilaByte Post #97

I feel like submitting an updated version of the map to fix bugs should be allowed, it would really suck for someone if they submitted the map, and later found a bug 3/4 of the way through that made the map unplayable past that part. That's really a waste of their hard work. As long as content has no been added, I don't see the big deal. But since updating is allowed now, I'm going to go ahead and finish my map and resubmit.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 7:59 pm Kaias Post #98

Apart from a quick fix that would otherwise dead end the game, and for instance, fixing Stickynote's obnoxious footsteps being constantly played, I haven't been updating the links. The only ones that can be updated without my editing the first post are the ones that link to DLDB files and while it hasn't been abused yet, I honestly don't really care. Some of you really need to cool off; the judges already downloaded the maps as they were- people really shouldn't get their panties in a twist over this.

My only objective when starting this competition was to make people make maps. As far as I'm concerned, it has done just that. Indeed the rules were change. I had always suspected that they would. It was always meant to be a community dealing, and when an overwhelming number of people complained to me that they thought it would be just a popularity contest and wanted judges, I changed the way it worked to accommodate just that. Among other things, like the fact that modding supplemented maps were allowed (though none actually did), the rules have changed. People should not be surprised that a great many of them changed around the end because that was when people's interest returned to the contest. The rules were always meant to be malleable to what people wanted.

As a manipulative director I'll confide that extending the deadline by two weeks was my plan from the very beginning. As a community of map makers, procrastination and inability to finish has always been our torment. Two deadlines made two crunch-time periods and I can tell you that more mapping was done in the last 3 weeks than has been done in a very very long time. In tandem with my goal of getting people to map, I would say this was effectual beyond just the maps that were turned in.

As for Kilabyte's concerns about completion: I didn't even ask qPirateKing to post his map, he had dropped the map a long time ago. It is the same case for Fwop's Cataclysm; Fwop isn't even here anymore to have any say (for the curious, he went on a mission for his church). If you'll notice I was careful to head the listing as 'Maps:' rather than 'Submissions' because of this. I posted these maps because I wanted to recognize the talent and effort people have put in- I was going to create another section for maps that didn't quite make it and add in things like Loveless's incomplete map and payne's ToG terrain. After gathering all those links, hunting down all those maps, taking and hosting all those screen-shots, and formatting it all together, however, I didn't have the will to do it. To me, at least, percent of completion is completely meaningless. What the map aspires to be ultimately doesn't matter, rather, what the map is is what does. Maps will be judged on the amount and quality of content. qPirateKing isn't even allowing Wonder to be judged.

None.

Jan 18 2010, 8:59 pm Kaias Post #99

Vote:
http://www.staredit.net/topic/9649/

None.

Jan 18 2010, 11:45 pm EzTerix Post #100

err I know this is a bad time but I have a new version (final). Major fixes...you can actually see the ending on Multiplayer. I wouldn't want people to get so far without an ending T_T

http://www.staredit.net/?file=1855&s=&sess=843c89 update? TY ^_^ (btw ur inbox ran out of space xD)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 7 >
  Back to forum