Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Tux's Last Mega Map
Tux's Last Mega Map
Dec 30 2009, 12:51 pm
By: The Starport
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Jan 8 2010, 9:30 pm The Starport Post #61

Not sure yet. I have an idea involving some stuff you guys discovered earlier, but the question is really how far I'm willing to abuse the game with it, since I've mostly decided to do this map for playability rather than tech (which was the Space Dogs option)... with a few exceptions. I could wrap every aspect of the player's user interface within a single, generalized system, even.

None.

Jan 9 2010, 12:00 am Positively Post #62

Ooh ;). That sounds interesting.
To be honest, it doesn't matter to me what map you make.. as long as you make one of course ;). I'm sure whatever you make will fly over my head ;)

None.

Jan 9 2010, 12:41 am LoveLess Post #63

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Kaias
Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I might however change my plans and, you guessed it, squeeze off a big deuce and put in a fancy gunner/general interface system of some sort as a compromise. Full-range click-based aimability ftw!
How do you plan to accomplish that?
With just about any system Lethal has made? I mean seriously. Pick one.

None.

Jan 9 2010, 12:53 am Falkoner Post #64

Well, one question for you, Tuxlar, what tools are you planning on using to work on the map with this time?

Or the full range gunner system Tuxlar made himself.. :P

None.

Jan 9 2010, 1:15 am Kaias Post #65

Quote from LoveLess
Quote from Kaias
Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I might however change my plans and, you guessed it, squeeze off a big deuce and put in a fancy gunner/general interface system of some sort as a compromise. Full-range click-based aimability ftw!
How do you plan to accomplish that?
I didn't ask how it was possible, I asked how he planned to do it.

Quote from Falkoner
Well, one question for you, Tuxlar, what tools are you planning on using to work on the map with this time?
The rally point system would be worthless in this situation; and good luck trying to make a comprehensive interface with Waypoint casting. That pretty much leaves Frags.

On second thought, direction detection on Waypoint casting would work pretty well for a radial like menu (Like Mass Effect dialogue selection).

None.

Jan 9 2010, 1:35 am Falkoner Post #66

No no no, the unlimited range dark swarm gunner system he made.

None.

Jan 9 2010, 1:37 am Kaias Post #67

Quote from Falkoner
No no no, the unlimited range dark swarm gunner system he made.
Worthless for multiplayer

None.

Jan 9 2010, 7:57 am The Starport Post #68

Quote from Falkoner
Which was basically the first directional select implementation. :P

My current draft is becoming more action-oriented than I originally planned, so it seems appropriate to make a fairly robust gunner system of some sort if I'm going to use that approach. I might just use a FRAGS variation with a more simplified intersection detection method to get the job done. I'll deal with proper math stuff later when I can get my API ready.

None.

Jan 9 2010, 6:41 pm ImagoDeo Post #69

Quote from TiKels
You cant really say "Open Rpgs Suck" simply because (outside of starcraft) there is a big market for sandboxey open rpgs. Take bethesda for example, they released oblivion and Fallout 3, both are "open" rpgs and are largely successful. (Albeit flawed in a lot of aspects) The "Quests Open Rpg" isnt even a RPG by my standards, and lacks "Quests" and has a terrible ending (if any of you have ever finished it.) Judging Open Rpgs by the maps we have been given in SC is a mistake.

I agree. Having finished Quests Open, I can truthfully say that it does suck. An open RPG utilizing a random quest generator and all the amazing mapping tech that this community now encompasses would be ten times better. Thinking about it, I wonder why I haven't ever realized it before. So many amazing things could be done. Including D&D stuff, a decent ending, and lots of pwnage features would seriously improve that genre.

None.

Jan 9 2010, 6:42 pm The Starport Post #70

Quote from ImagoDeo
I agree. Having finished Quests Open, I can truthfully say that it does suck. An open RPG utilizing a random quest generator and all the amazing mapping tech that this community now encompasses would be ten times better. Thinking about it, I wonder why I haven't ever realized it before. So many amazing things could be done. Including D&D stuff, a decent ending, and lots of pwnage features would seriously improve that genre.
I must point out that Sin would be an open RPG in name only. It has a lot more in common with something like Left 4 Dead than Oblivion or Fallout or whatever, really.

I actually hate that term RPG, though. It's more like a non-linear, open Action/Adventure map with RPG elements. I'd prefer just Open Action/Adventure, if I'd be able to get away with calling it that. :P

Meh. Fuck the taxonomy.

Speaking of "proper math stuff". I'm contemplating putting a lot of you guys's advanced trigger shit into reusable MacroTriggers or TriggerScript modules (my goofy javascript API... if I can ever bother making it release-worthy) to actually be fucking useful for a change. I guess I've spent enough time making gameplay-only crap to get the hang of it, so I might as well go back into tech now. This seems like the first logical step, though (after finishing the API itself, of course).

Though I personally shudder at the concept of anything like a game engine being built out of Starcrap triggers. :lol:

Guess there's no way to do things but the right way.
or not at all

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2010, 6:58 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 10 2010, 5:56 am Jack Post #71

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

You could use EUD rally point position detection for spell casting.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 10 2010, 6:00 am Positively Post #72

Using EUD's would make the map single player only wouldn't it? Or make it work for that one patch? I definitely wouldn't want that ;). Tux's maps should be shared and loved by all.

None.

Jan 10 2010, 6:07 am Jack Post #73

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Rallypoint detection is shared, I believe, so it would work for multiplayer. It wouldn't work on macs or if a new patch comes out, but I doubt a patch will come out, leaving mac users.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 10 2010, 6:27 am Positively Post #74

Ohh ;). Mmkay :D.

None.

Jan 10 2010, 5:17 pm Kaias Post #75

Quote from name:zany_001
Rallypoint detection is shared, I believe, so it would work for multiplayer. It wouldn't work on macs or if a new patch comes out, but I doubt a patch will come out, leaving mac users.
It is shared, yes. I think a patch is likely to come out around the time BattleNet2 comes out, even if SC1 doesn't benefit from it.

In any case, like any real mapper Tuxedo doesn't plan on using EUDs.

None.

Jan 11 2010, 7:14 am pneumatic Post #76

You should have 'levels' of gameplay, where players can change the state of reality. Once they accomplish something significant, or they kill a certain part of Sin, the world changes and intensifies and weird things start happening.

On the other hand, I always did want to see a customizable spaceship.

None.

Jan 11 2010, 7:22 am The Starport Post #77

Wait till you see my Sin draft v1 outline. ;)

None.

Jan 12 2010, 1:40 am Positively Post #78

Can't wait ;).

None.

Jan 12 2010, 9:16 am The Starport Post #79

Oh man! I just came up with the most awesome idea!

Tell you what. I'm putting Sin on hold for a bit. brb

None.

Jan 12 2010, 4:59 pm Neki Post #80

Tux's Last Mega Map(s)?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum