Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Tux's Last Mega Map
Tux's Last Mega Map
Dec 30 2009, 12:51 pm
By: The Starport
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >

Jan 4 2010, 4:15 am TiKels Post #41

You cant really say "Open Rpgs Suck" simply because (outside of starcraft) there is a big market for sandboxey open rpgs. Take bethesda for example, they released oblivion and Fallout 3, both are "open" rpgs and are largely successful. (Albeit flawed in a lot of aspects) The "Quests Open Rpg" isnt even a RPG by my standards, and lacks "Quests" and has a terrible ending (if any of you have ever finished it.) Judging Open Rpgs by the maps we have been given in SC is a mistake.

In my opinion, i do not doubt your capability in creating either an open RPG or a Space Fighter or a movie, but i think that it would be a better show of talent and prestige to show off a Space Fighter, rather then an open rpg or a movie. (That is ofc, as long as it has enough pizazz and fun doodads/functionalities in it.) The movie would lack replayability and would likely simmer out of peoples' view, but PvP maps have always proven the most popular, allowing for strategy upon strategy to be built and rebuilt, creating tons of different possibilties in terms of gameplay.
The gravity system sounds like it would be quite cool, and it would probably generate a lot of "ooh's" and "aah's".
My Conclusions: (You dont have to like them)
Movie map- Fun for a little while.
Open Rpg- Fun sounding idea, though less likely to be completed. Moderate Replayability
Space Fighter- Unique gameplay, major replayability, unique systems. Probably the best choice.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 4 2010, 4:52 am payne Post #42

:payne:

Quote from Doodle77
Definitely Space Dogs, or preferably a different pvp map. RPGs are long and boring and aren't really worth it, and movie maps are better done outside starcraft.

If you make a pvp map, make sure it's fast-paced.
THIS!
+1

None.

Jan 4 2010, 5:00 am The Starport Post #43

Quote from TiKels
The gravity system sounds like it would be quite cool, and it would probably generate a lot of "ooh's" and "aah's".
Actually what would be really cool is a fully-functional 2d physics system used for some sort of actual gameplay...

Offtopic. :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 4 2010, 5:05 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 4 2010, 5:19 pm poiuy_qwert Post #44

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Actually what would be really cool is a fully-functional 2d physics system used for some sort of actual gameplay...
Make mini golf! I remember starting one a looong time ago using iso terrain with ramps and stuff like that, i would love to see someone make something like that!

Jan 7 2010, 3:23 am The Starport Post #45

Alright I think I have a good idea of what I want to do... just that doesn't yet mean that's what I'm going to do (if I do anything at all, even).

An A&O movie sounds fun, but I think since I'd be abusing file size limits it would never be a real bnet map, where otherwise the novelty of a quality movie in Starcrap might begin to resemble being something worthwhile. Probably be just as well done as a machinima skit of some sort, therefore (though there's no reason I couldn't record a movie map into a youtube movie or something like that...)

Space Dogs sounds like a whole lot of work for a genre of maps that is easy to satisfy with much less and is already nearing the saturation point as is. Novelty and tech could make it worthwhile, but I just don't fucking know if I have the patience for that kind of shit. So if in doubt, throw it out.

Sin, however, leaves me a bit unsatisfied in its current form, but I think it's sorta become the logical choice. I might however change my plans and, you guessed it, squeeze off a big deuce and put in a fancy gunner/general interface system of some sort as a compromise. Full-range click-based aimability ftw!

No EUDs, though.

So yeah. Probably won't be seeing it any time soon, though.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 7 2010, 3:37 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 7 2010, 3:28 am Positively Post #46

Yay! Take as long as you need... but not too long ;). We might protest.
I'm honestly fine with any map you make and especially since this is your last map which I hope it shan't be... I'll be sure to play it ;).
Good luck Tux!

None.

Jan 7 2010, 3:56 am The Starport Post #47

Well it had crossed my mind that I could alternatively fire off a huge stream of small-ish maps as well, but that doesn't seem as satisfying. I'd probably get more out of it personally, though.

Well whatever. I've already done many times more Starcrap maps than any sane person should do in a single lifespan.

None.

Jan 7 2010, 3:59 am Positively Post #48

That's true.. but the community of Battle.Net would miss you if you quit! Sure most of the players don't have the brainpower to actually play your games but they're not harsh on the eyes!

None.

Jan 7 2010, 10:09 am NudeRaider Post #49

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I'd enjoy Spacedogs the most probably. I like my StarCraft maps full of strategies and options.
Sin lacks replayability but if it's fun to play I'd surely play it a few more times with some weeks/months in between.
Your concept for the Movie map sounds nice too, but it'll probably keep you occupied the least. Most bnetters will like it though.

I can understand your desire for junk food, but I still hope you'll find the patience for the greatest of the options: Spacedogs.

However how about a 5th option? Someone mentioned it already: Make a turn based map of any kind. I looooove maps where the computer fights for me. ;)
(yes I know turn-base doesn't necessarily mean auto attack but for me it's close enough)

Jan 7 2010, 10:56 am LoveLess Post #50

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

If you have decided to go with Sin, make every boss fight a challenge to figure out how to fuck it's world up in different ways. That's why games like Shadow of the Colossus were so successful, you had to figure out how to kill them, even if it did always involve stabbing them with a sword in the end.

I wish you the greatest of luck, as you taught me how to take my triggering to what I feel was the final level. Best of luck Tux.

None.

Jan 7 2010, 7:47 pm Neki Post #51

Quote from Doodle77
Definitely Space Dogs, or preferably a different pvp map. RPGs are long and boring and aren't really worth it, and movie maps are better done outside starcraft.

If you make a pvp map, make sure it's fast-paced.

Definitely Sin RPG, or preferably a different RPG map. PVP maps are all the same and boring and aren't really worth it, and movie maps are better done outside Starcraft.

If you make a RPG map, make sure it's long and filled with story.

:)

None.

Jan 7 2010, 9:40 pm The Starport Post #52

I don't think there are any significantly procedural maps out there. Let alone RPGs or whatever.

Between the fudge room with player goals and the procedural nature of the game world (and even a few gameplay elements, depending upon how far I'm willing to go), I'm hoping to have a great deal of replay value with Sin.

None.

Jan 7 2010, 9:42 pm Biophysicist Post #53

Make an RTS.

None.

Jan 7 2010, 9:48 pm The Starport Post #54

Naw.

None.

Jan 8 2010, 1:09 am LoveLess Post #55

So is Sin going to use Rantent's almighty units to make a unit idea?

None.

Jan 8 2010, 1:12 am The Starport Post #56

Eh?

I only intend to use a handful of base ideas. I'll roll out all the rest as I get to it.

None.

Jan 8 2010, 1:23 am LoveLess Post #57

The Kraken thing from Barge Defenders fool.

None.

Jan 8 2010, 3:32 pm Heinermann Post #58

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Quote from LoveLess
So is Sin going to use Rantent's almighty units to make a unit idea?
Possibly Merrell's "mass o' flying shit" (Mass of a couple hundred Terran buildings 1px apart)?

Jan 8 2010, 3:41 pm The Starport Post #59

Actually, I keep thinking of the intro sequence for FFX where Sin is represented largely as a sort of chaotic force of nature rather than a specific entity. I might do something like that and make it appear (on the surface) as nothing more than an abstract maelstrom of devastation. Then require some kind of procedure before you even get to see the beast itself.

THEN it'll be a "mass o' flying shit". :P

None.

Jan 8 2010, 7:50 pm Kaias Post #60

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I might however change my plans and, you guessed it, squeeze off a big deuce and put in a fancy gunner/general interface system of some sort as a compromise. Full-range click-based aimability ftw!
How do you plan to accomplish that?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >
  Back to forum