Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: A new twist on pay-for-play
A new twist on pay-for-play
Dec 20 2009, 9:59 pm
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Jan 20 2010, 7:52 pm ClansAreForGays Post #61

@fatflyingpigs: It's a lot better if you quote the points you are talking to. Numbering is arbitrary. I'll just take it that you are talking to me.

This is SC2. Not WC.
I glad you started out with stating the obvious... When you make such an obvious statement(as if we need to be told this) I feel like you are talking down to me/us, so don't expect the most well mannered response from me.

Although many WC3 players will try it, including DOTA players, not all will. WC3 came out after SC, yet many people prefer SC to WC3. Same will happen with SC2. The majority of SC players will move over, and the majority of WC3 players will stick with WC3.
More with the over the top obvious statements. Ignoring that, I'll say this - SC2 is more WC4 really. A WC3 player/mapper will feel much more at home than the SC refugee. We'll look like refugees compared to the WC3 immigrants. We can debate this if you want, but I don't think anyone in their right mind could disagree.

2) Just how TS and HS were made, a similar game will be made in SC2. The key to getting the map to be the most popular AoS is how well you sell it. Just like any consumer product, a map must be treated the same. First, hype must be made, and rumors about it scattered before SC2 starts. When SC2 is released, OPEN TESTING must commence. This allows all players, good or bad, to get used to the name. It becomes familiar, and eventually popular.
I assume this isn't directed at anyone, and is just rant you felt like going on.

Also, here are the 2 dumbest things with your post that you felt assured to be true, despite the precedent, and what blizzard has actually told us as to what they are doing in their own words:
4) As for fake maps appearing, I'm sure blizzard will make it so you have a game "name" and a "version number".
Every time you log onto b-net, your maps will update (hopefully the player won't have the choice to not update/host older versions).
:lol: I haven't seen this much blind faith since I went to church. I'm sorry but I like to base my reasoning off of what blizzard has already told us they are doing, and what they have done in the past.

Don't think blizzard is stupid.
Don't think blizzard won't have corporate higher ups inject whatever the hell they want into the game, and have the designers work around it.
blizzard surely checks this site for information on the SC community.
You really think we're that important? I can tell you from precedent that they don't check this site. The single biggest achievement this site made in the SC world was EUD trigger discovery. Hiennerman had the biggest role in their discovery, while DTBK and LegacyWeapon made programs form the average mapper to actually use them. staredit.net bots would spam BW usa public channels that "god triggers" could be learned about at staredit.net, and thus maps were starting to be made be virtually everyone because now they could do virtually everything. This went on for some time. Blizzard never noticed this in their public channels, and they never cared. Then one day someone made a post on the official SC forums saying "this map gave me a virus". By then anyone involved with the community already about the advent of EUD triggers and the discussion in the topic mentioned them, and how everyone assumed some must have used the memory overflow in a malicious way. Blizzard actually did see this popular topic, and within a week of this topic we received the EUD actions patch. The funny thing is, said map actually didn't have any euds, it was just a frikin crash map, and had something funny injected into the MPQ, but the map was not malicious. Anyways, here's the smoking gun. If they actually went to the source of where this eud info was coming from they'd know about EAS(another type of eud) which went hand in and with it. Map makers could still write to sc memory in a limited way. Blizzard would have done it all in 1 patch if they ever bothered to really check SEN, but they didn't so they had to release another patch for it later(never mentioning euds in the patch).
They only give a dam about SC2 fan sites, sc.org, campaign creations, and pro melee playing sites. They really don't reach out to their community so they don't know who we are, and we don't reach out to them(that much) so they don't know who we are. We are one of the top 5 english sc sites, #1 in ums map making, and they aren't giving us a single beta key.

The majority of popular maps/map makers on west, east, and Europe have a SEN account.
How do maps have a sen account? Anyways, sometimes I just don't know if that's true. I join maps that are hosted the most, and they are almost never a senner. Temple Siege is really out only claim to fame that we have right now. Azala's lurker D maps are incredibly popular, but you can't really call him a senner when we(and by we I mean excalibur) have treated him so harshly he'd rather go to nibbits.

If a better alternative is found (and posted) for anything, blizzard may just adopt the idea.
Sooooo much faith.

Jan 20 2010, 10:20 pm Decency Post #62

DotA will be on SC2, but it won't be what succeeds most. People who want to play DotA already have a much more refined version called Heroes of Newerth, so there need to be vast improvements over DotA because a direct port shouldn't go anywhere. I'm going to put my money on a first person shooter DotA-esque game destroying the competition. Seen the trailer with the ghost sniping people where they announce point and click capability? StarCraft 2 is by nature genre encompassing. There could be three different tournaments, all in different genres, all playing StarCraft 2. Unless Blizzard does something incredibly stupid (like releasing three different expensive games that fragment the community), and provided that the game editor is well designed, StarCraft 2 will be pretty much the only game worth playing competitively whether you're playing a DotA style game, a Fighting game, a First Person Shooter, or a Real Time Strategy game.

And about Temple Siege, please give it a rest. After two years the most effective strategy is letting the computer play for you- and the majority of people don't even think that's a problem. It's not going anywhere competitively.

None.

Jan 21 2010, 3:24 am OlimarandLouie Post #63

Quote from name:FaZ-
DotA will be on SC2, but it won't be what succeeds most. People who want to play DotA already have a much more refined version called Heroes of Newerth, so there need to be vast improvements over DotA because a direct port shouldn't go anywhere.
My bet, is that there will be bots hosting games advertising HoN, LoL, some future game of the same genre, and they might even take it so far as to have a bot hosting a game, titled: "Come play DotA on WC3 while we wait for it here!" until they actually make it for SC2. Otherwise, I agree.
Quote from name:FaZ-
I'm going to put my money on a first person shooter DotA-esque game destroying the competition.
I can't imagine an FPS styled game like that... maybe over-the-shoulder camera, though.

None.

Jan 21 2010, 3:40 am ClansAreForGays Post #64

I definitely forgot to factor in that DOTA players are going to be migrating to LoL, HoN, and Icefrog's Valve project.

Jan 21 2010, 6:12 am UnholyUrine Post #65

WE MUST MAKE TEMPLE SIEGE BEFORE DOTA COMES OUT ON STARCRAFT 2!
we do.. ?

But seriously, TS won't have a chance against DOTA [...]
From what it is now.. obviously not..

not to mention it's lack of hero's and items.
You try making one that's effective in SC....

"Blizzard announces another 6month delay on SC2, because they are stealing a new twist on pay-for-play idea from the nerds at Staredit.net."
NUuuuu

2) Just how TS and HS were made, a similar game will be made in SC2. The key to getting the map to be the most popular AoS is how well you sell it. Just like any consumer product, a map must be treated the same. First, hype must be made, and rumors about it scattered before SC2 starts. When SC2 is released, OPEN TESTING must commence. This allows all players, good or bad, to get used to the name. It becomes familiar, and eventually popular.
O shi- .. how'd u know?

And about Temple Siege, please give it a rest. After two years the most effective strategy is letting the computer play for you- and the majority of people don't even think that's a problem. It's not going anywhere competitively.
Just you wait. I'm changing that.

In all modesty, TS, if made the same in SC2, will not stand a chance. I thought that would be obvious enough. Things will have to change RADICALLY, and the systems and spells and everything will have to be COMPLETELY different and new, with some throwbacks to the old, in order for TS to succeed. Since SC2's engine is so much stronger than SC now, the bar for good maps will skyrocket... and I truthfully doubt I have to the time to create something that would be popular.. (Unless... we work as a team :O)

btw.. this isn't an SC2 TS topic ><" ...

Anyways, I also wouldn't give Blizzard too much credit. Their focus is on melee, and it should be. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with what they've shown us already. If they do take the premium map step, it probably still won't ruin our fun too much... I mean.. I have the most fun playing random fighters, and other short and fun games... which can clearly never become premium maps....
So .. don't wry so much...

O and... i like quotin' ppl :D

None.

Jan 25 2010, 3:36 pm DevliN Post #66

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

blizzard surely checks this site for information on the SC community.
They don't.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 28 2010, 5:54 pm samsizzle Post #67

Maybe like 2 starcraft developers check the community just to see whats goin on.

None.

Jan 28 2010, 7:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #68

No, maybe like 1 QA guy glances over the front page of their own official sc forum once a month. If they don't see the word 'virus' they go back to doing WoW related stuff.

Jan 28 2010, 8:48 pm DevliN Post #69

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

We aren't an official fansite, and I know Blizzard folk who have never heard of us. I'm sure none of them check SEN for anything.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 1 2010, 9:25 pm Ashamed Post #70

Hear me Raor!!

Yeah guys we aren't cool enuff!
:(

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum