Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Temple Siege M8e
Temple Siege M8e
Oct 27 2009, 4:30 am
By: Moose
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 548 >

Oct 29 2009, 2:08 am stickynote Post #41

I like the terrain changes; they're a whole lot more open space-wise. I thought the tightness of the terrain was somewhat of a problem in the other TS's. Good job moose. I haven't tested it thoroughly though.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 2:35 am Neki Post #42

People said they don't like M8b because the bottom doesn't look like a base, what do you think of that comment Moose? :P

None.

Oct 29 2009, 2:53 am Moose Post #43

We live in a society.

Quote from OlimarandLouie
Quote from Mini Moose 2707
there's a test mode for single player that I added this version!
There's a single player testing version?! How does it work?
1. Host game.
2. Before anyone else joins, hit OK. You are done.

Quote from stickynote
I like the terrain changes; they're a whole lot more open space-wise. I thought the tightness of the terrain was somewhat of a problem in the other TS's. Good job moose. I haven't tested it thoroughly though.
Thanks, but I didn't make the terrain changes this time... they were done by xYoshix.

Quote from name:Ultimo
People said they don't like M8b because the bottom doesn't look like a base, what do you think of that comment Moose? :P
If you think the terrain is bad, then make me better terrain. Though I'd like better criticism than "it doesn't look like a base".
I have to say that I like the layout there... you can throw down a pylon and a pair of cannons by the geyser island right outside of the south post for guarded assim and route control.

Oct 29 2009, 4:38 am killer_sss Post #44

Quote from killer_sss
Top gyser guarded by cannons can be hit by mechs siege tanks, without taking dmg, and bottom base can't. In general bottom's gyser is more protected as 2 cannons will hit you no matter what unit you are if you attack it vs top one will hit you no matter your unit.
I moved the geyser slightly in the latest download. Test again, please.
No idea what gyser you changed I don't see a difference anywhere on the map Unless You maybe added some trees and thought that was good enough. First the gyser i'm talking about is the one defended by 3 of the top team's siege tanks. It is placed to the inside of the arena and the bottom's mirror gyser is placed to the outside of the area thus making the top gyser vulnerable to cannons. Also, when attacking the top gyser directly you will only be attacked by one cannon wether you are melee or ranged as you aren't in range of the other two. Compare this to the bottom where you will be hit by at least two execpt if you go thru the bottom base and attack it from behind which means youll be hit by cannons on the way to it.

Quote from killer_sss
bottom gysers seem more defensible than top gysers and also seem more clumped which can make defending easier.
So build by the bottom geysers and not the top ones. :P
well the one you talk of in another post along the bottom can defend spawn and guard the gyser fairly easily if you capture the outpost. My complaint here is it is better for bottom team beacuse if they cap the out post it completely cuts off the feed area between the base and outpost. If your the top it takes away your spawn microing space to accomplish the same thing and it doesn't cut off your feed very much due to where the spawn emerge/colide.

Quote from killer_sss
some of gysers still cannot be built next to.
Two*.
No idea where you get two from i count one middle left area of map. My point was some are not suitible to defend properly.

Quote from killer_sss
location at top still isn't set well with the ramps. Overall the interuption area is much smaller than the other two capture points.
I'd argue that the other two are too big.
Fine if they are too big regardless they aren't the same size and it is rather annoying. Also the top one is off center and if your someone that has never used a map editor to look at this location It is quite a pain to memorize its total bounds as it doesn't tell you that you interupted them and your only feed back is when they capture it.

Quote from killer_sss
top no cannons at beacon ???
Captor beware.
Still don't like the fact that 2 outposts are more important than 1 of them. I would be fine if it were just one outpost with an advantage but two kinda irks me. Guess i gotta get use to it since neither you or unholy wana change this ever.

Quote from killer_sss
Will the un buildable ground be reduced to make nexus more feasible to place arround map?
Not sure where you want it, there's plenty of places.
There isn't much area to place let alone defend one near uncaptured outposts either top or bottom which imo is where one would like if they didn't capture an outpost.

It's a shame nobody's given me the benefit of the doubt by asssuming that I would test something so simple before releasing it. ("Okay, let's put a Machine Shop here... test to make sure the players get it? Oh, okay, yeah the triggers gave it to me... let's quit the game before seeing if the upgrade to Vulture Speed does something considering the precedent of a majority of heroes!")
Honestly moose when i tested this It appeared quite fast and thus I never upgraded it because I was using minerals on attack which i thought would benefit me quite a bit more. This is the reason why I brought it up. In solo mode It appeared much slower which makes me quite confused. I guess the reason I thought it was fast is because I was gaming instead of just playing to test it out. Either way a simple yes or no answer would have sufficed instead of addressing it this way.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 4:57 am Moose Post #45

We live in a society.

Quote from killer_sss
First the gyser i'm talking about is the one defended by 3 of the top team's siege tanks.
????
Also, there's an e in "geyser". I thought it was a typo but you do it all the time.
Or I can actually refer you to this: http://www.staredit.net/?faq=2#grammar

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from killer_sss
Two*.
No idea where you get two from i count one middle left area of map. My point was some are not suitible to defend properly.]
My point was that it was improper to use the word "some".

Quote from killer_sss
Fine if they are too big regardless they aren't the same size and it is rather annoying. Also the top one is off center and if your someone that has never used a map editor to look at this location It is quite a pain to memorize its total bounds as it doesn't tell you that you interupted them and your only feed back is when they capture it.
Here's the thing. The other two locations have to cover the cannons as well, which the top base doesn't have. So, the location size on the top outpost is rather arbitrary. It won't matter when the capture system is redone because only the beacons will matter. Failing a redo of the capture system, I just make cap-blocking beacons only anyway.

Quote from killer_sss
There isn't much area to place let alone defend one near uncaptured outposts either top or bottom which imo is where one would like if they didn't capture an outpost.
I can understand for the bottom... top really isn't that bad, especially with all the widening that went on down there.

Quote from killer_sss
It's a shame nobody's given me the benefit of the doubt by asssuming that I would test something so simple before releasing it. ("Okay, let's put a Machine Shop here... test to make sure the players get it? Oh, okay, yeah the triggers gave it to me... let's quit the game before seeing if the upgrade to Vulture Speed does something considering the precedent of a majority of heroes!")
Honestly moose when i tested this It appeared quite fast and thus I never upgraded it because I was using minerals on attack which i thought would benefit me quite a bit more. This is the reason why I brought it up. In solo mode It appeared much slower which makes me quite confused. I guess the reason I thought it was fast is because I was gaming instead of just playing to test it out. Either way a simple yes or no answer would have sufficed instead of addressing it this way.
The relevant portions of that post was a flat-out lie that spawned 9 other posts about something that shouldn't have been discussed. Catching only sarcasm from me in return for the whole thing isn't too bad if you think about it. Please more thorough in your future testing as "bug" reports based on suspicion alone are more likely to be a waste of people's time.

Oct 29 2009, 5:09 am Neki Post #46

I just wanted to mention that the spawning in single player mode for the opposite team was extremely wonky (I was North), all the units just sat in base. You may already know that, but I just wanted to note it.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 5:09 am MEMEME670 Post #47

Quote from MEMEME670
Quote from MEMEME670
Ok, if you want a game thats completly 100% mirroring goodness, although itll lack depth, go make one yourself.

Quote from killer_sss
Two*.
No idea where you get two from i count one middle left area of map. My point was some are not suitible to defend properly.

Then make a decision. Do you sim those although you cant defend them and see if your opponent will kill them before they are cost efficent, or do you leave those as they are undefendable and therefore worthless to you?

Game is about choices, and more/more advanced choices=more depth.

Quote from killer_sss
location at top still isn't set well with the ramps. Overall the interuption area is much smaller than the other two capture points.
I'd argue that the other two are too big.

After a couple games, you can know the capture bounds by heart, its not that hard.
Again, depth. Do you run in even though theirs less of a chance youll make it? Leave it and go help someone else? Run behind to capture the weak hero on his way out? (situational, but not too rare of a possibility.)

Quote from killer_sss
Will the un buildable ground be reduced to make nexus more feasible to place arround map?
Not sure where you want it, there's plenty of places.
There isn't much area to place let alone defend one near uncaptured outposts either top or bottom which imo is where one would like if they didn't capture an outpost.[/quote]

Assuming both sides wanted an outpost, you wouldnt want one there because it would get killed during its building time, and not be worth the minerals at all. Also you put your probe in danger by simply moving it near a high-traffic area.

Quote from killer_sss
top no cannons at beacon ???
Captor beware.
Still don't like the fact that 2 outposts are more important than 1 of them. I would be fine if it were just one outpost with an advantage but two kinda irks me. Guess i gotta get use to it since neither you or unholy wana change this ever.[/quote]

This is another strategic decision making point, see above.

Honestly moose when i tested this It appeared quite fast and thus I never upgraded it because I was using minerals on attack which i thought would benefit me quite a bit more. This is the reason why I brought it up. In solo mode It appeared much slower which makes me quite confused. I guess the reason I thought it was fast is because I was gaming instead of just playing to test it out. Either way a simple yes or no answer would have sufficed instead of addressing it this way.[/quote]

Moose was slightly offended by your comment, and thus had to defend himself.

Blame his addressing it on yourself.

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from killer_sss
Top gyser guarded by cannons can be hit by mechs siege tanks, without taking dmg, and bottom base can't. In general bottom's gyser is more protected as 2 cannons will hit you no matter what unit you are if you attack it vs top one will hit you no matter your unit.
I moved the geyser slightly in the latest download. Test again, please.
No idea what gyser you changed I don't see a difference anywhere on the map Unless You maybe added some trees and thought that was good enough. First the gyser i'm talking about is the one defended by 3 of the top team's siege tanks. It is placed to the inside of the arena and the bottom's mirror gyser is placed to the outside of the area thus making the top gyser vulnerable to cannons. Also, when attacking the top gyser directly you will only be attacked by one cannon wether you are melee or ranged as you aren't in range of the other two. Compare this to the bottom where you will be hit by at least two execpt if you go thru the bottom base and attack it from behind which means youll be hit by cannons on the way to it.

This is a gameplay choice. See above.

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from killer_sss
bottom gysers seem more defensible than top gysers and also seem more clumped which can make defending easier.
So build by the bottom geysers and not the top ones. :P
well the one you talk of in another post along the bottom can defend spawn and guard the gyser fairly easily if you capture the outpost. My complaint here is it is better for bottom team beacuse if they cap the out post it completely cuts off the feed area between the base and outpost. If your the top it takes away your spawn microing space to accomplish the same thing and it doesn't cut off your feed very much due to where the spawn emerge/colide.

Possibly, possibly, the one actual true issue addressed in this post. I havent played yet so i cannot say for sure, however.

EDIT: Just read moose's post. I feel kinda repetitive because he posted his before mine and i neglected to check, but meh. Due to the fact that this is false, please check your facts before posting.

There we go. The last one is possibly an issue, and im fine with you discussing that, yeah.

But if you want to discuss how you feel a map should be mirrored, then go make your own.

Fair =/= Mirrored.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 5:11 am Moose Post #48

We live in a society.

I just wanted to mention that the spawning in single player mode for the opposite team was extremely wonky (I was North), all the units just sat in base. You may already know that, but I just wanted to note it.
Of course it is, I've used it myself.
There's more than fair warning on the single player test mode both in-game and on the changelist.
Another fun bit is that the game starts at night if you play the south team. :P

Quote from MEMEME670
EDIT: Just read moose's post. I feel kinda repetitive because he posted his before mine and i neglected to check, but meh. Due to the fact that this is false, please check your facts before posting.
Yes, but you typed out a lot on gameplay choices and strategizing that I didn't feel like typing out. Thanks.

Oct 29 2009, 5:22 am Neki Post #49

Also, mission objectives for special ops still says his L4 is Nuke, and why is the Assassin never removed at the bottom left after all the heroes are picked? :P Also, Dark Mage has a spell which creates a bunch of queens, and some of them cannot be built due to air restrictions, I haven't played TS in a while, so I'm not sure if that is intentional.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 6:47 am killer_sss Post #50

Quote from killer_sss
First the gyser i'm talking about is the one defended by 3 of the top team's siege tanks.
????
Also, there's an e in "geyser". I thought it was a typo but you do it all the time.
Or I can actually refer you to this: http://www.staredit.net/?faq=2#grammar

ok I spell bad gotcha.

Quote from killer_sss
Here's the thing. The other two locations have to cover the cannons as well, which the top base doesn't have. So, the location size on the top outpost is rather arbitrary. It won't matter when the capture system is redone because only the beacons will matter. Failing a redo of the capture system, I just make cap-blocking beacons only anyway.

So Certain units automatically lose outposts hmm? lets see lightmage too slow, sin slow and no dmg spells, ling no dmg. Idk i mean both sides i see where it is a pain to capture outposts but at same time units that can run arround like ling to interupt get no help at begining for doing that anymore.

If it stays as is or goes to size of beacons i think that favors the person on the beacon quite a bit. I can't tell you how many people i've seen die that thought they interupted and go in to interupt again and instead die to being trapped.

The relevant portions of that post was a flat-out lie that spawned 9 other posts about something that shouldn't have been discussed. Catching only sarcasm from me in return for the whole thing isn't too bad if you think about it. Please more thorough in your future testing as "bug" reports based on suspicion alone are more likely to be a waste of people's time.
Idk what to tell you. I had absolutely no trouble killing the ling who ran away a ton. I guess I made a mistake. Often times when I see a bug its difficult to reproduce it. Sometimes its not. Never even thought to check it again. Still seems wierd though i just don't remember it being that slow.

***something new*** if bottom captures middle outpost the spawn from the gate are redirected arround a different way to the other base. If you fight to far in front you won't get the extra 2 kills as the white spawn will goble them before they arrive at your position.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 9:14 am DrakeClawfang Post #51

Almost every time I host this, at least one person, sometimes more, spouts "this vers is gay" and bitches the whole game about the changes. It's sad how resistant people are to changes. My opinion on bottom is that it's a bit "curved" in relation to the other corners, maybe move it down and left to square it up a bit more?

Wish I could open the map to examine the terrain more closely. ><

Dark Mage has a spell which creates a bunch of queens, and some of them cannot be built due to air restrictions, I haven't played TS in a while, so I'm not sure if that is intentional.

That's in all TS games, it's a simple spacing problem, nothing you can do for that really.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 29 2009, 9:19 am by DrakeClawfang.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 2:02 pm Moose Post #52

We live in a society.

Quote from DrakeClawfang
Wish I could open the map to examine the terrain more closely. ><
LastReplay.rep

Also, mission objectives for special ops still says his L4 is Nuke
That's been in the known issues in the topic page for awhile now.

and why is the Assassin never removed at the bottom left after all the heroes are picked? :P
It should be... I'll fix it.

Also, Dark Mage has a spell which creates a bunch of queens, and some of them cannot be built due to air restrictions, I haven't played TS in a while, so I'm not sure if that is intentional.
The spell is weird. If the DM is moving, they'll place fine... standing still, they won't. I figured people are more likely to be moving towards or near a target when casting it.

Quote from killer_sss
So Certain units automatically lose outposts hmm? lets see lightmage too slow, sin slow and no dmg spells, ling no dmg. Idk i mean both sides i see where it is a pain to capture outposts but at same time units that can run arround like ling to interupt get no help at begining for doing that anymore.

If it stays as is or goes to size of beacons i think that favors the person on the beacon quite a bit. I can't tell you how many people i've seen die that thought they interupted and go in to interupt again and instead die to being trapped.
Since I've already written on the subject and saved my post, here you go:
Outpost Capture System Revamp
To be honest, two things about the capture system are rather lame:
1. You can stand on the beacon for 29 seconds and then have all your effort instantly negated.
2. Only the beacon matters for capturing but a capture can be blocked over a large area. (disadvantage to melee units)

My plan is to have it redone to work like this:

<< NORTH (0) | ==== | (400) NEUTRAL (400) | ==== SOUTH (800) >>

Standing on the beacon unopposed will shift the outpost 1 point in your direction.

An outpost is captured when you get it ALL THE WAY over to your side. (0 or 800)
A previously captured outpost will become NEUTRAL again if it is pushed back to 400.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 29 2009, 2:08 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Oct 29 2009, 8:43 pm ShredderIV Post #53

As to the base capture system, if that still doesnt work moose, you could always do away with the outpost idea altogether and just put cannons at intervals from the sides and middle to the base...

I've always thought that might work better, since the outpost system can be too easily skewed, having heroes who cap too easily and such making the game broken just cause they got those first outposts.

Anyways, I still dont like the terrain on the top outpost... I still think the cannons should be implemented onto the outpost so you dont have the ez night capping on it. It would be much better if they were there so they could at least attack the beacon. So many games with assault right now just go: ok guys, lets get mid n top, i can ez take top later, which gives that team a huge advantage.

None.

Oct 29 2009, 9:18 pm OlimarandLouie Post #54

To be honest, two things about the capture system are rather lame:
1. You can stand on the beacon for 29 seconds and then have all your effort instantly negated.
2. Only the beacon matters for capturing but a capture can be blocked over a large area. (disadvantage to melee units)

My plan is to have it redone to work like this:

<< NORTH (0) | ==== | (400) NEUTRAL (400) | ==== SOUTH (800) >>

Standing on the beacon unopposed will shift the outpost 1 point in your direction.

An outpost is captured when you get it ALL THE WAY over to your side. (0 or 800)
A previously captured outpost will become NEUTRAL again if it is pushed back to 400.

I for one think that is an EXCELLENT idea! I can't wait until you implement it! :)

None.

Oct 29 2009, 10:12 pm OlimarandLouie Post #55

I discovered what might be a gamebreaking glitch for the dark mage.

I use my l4, on a spec ops, who was on his last life.
He dies.
His Gateway dies, but broodlings AND scourges continue to spawn there, and kill the pylon.
The scourges had free roam on the entire map, however they had 50 HP and died in one hit from cannons. I experimented with them, and they don't do anything to the heros, however, since their suicide is 50 dmg, I was able to kill any airborne units with them.
There were about 60 scourges that spawned total.

Here is the replay

Attachments:
Temple Siege DM Glitchery.rep
Hits: 0 Size: 213.74kb

None.

Oct 30 2009, 12:22 am Moose Post #56

We live in a society.

Yeah, I actually had that happen to me too. The problem was when I redid how the L4 Broodlings spawn, I didn't factor in that someone might get eliminated or leave the game.

Oct 30 2009, 12:36 am xYoshix Post #57

Also, DM's l4 keeps on spawning broods regardless of how many broods are around the hero. This may be because of a small location being used for the counting of the broodlings.

None.

Oct 30 2009, 1:39 am DrakeClawfang Post #58

Got the devourer glitch again, this time it happened while an enemy Archer used theirL1 near me as I used my L1 as Light Mage.

None.

Oct 30 2009, 2:01 am ShredderIV Post #59

Quote from xYoshix
Also, DM's l4 keeps on spawning broods regardless of how many broods are around the hero. This may be because of a small location being used for the counting of the broodlings.
It probably just seeeeeems that way, since the brood count to spawn around a player was increased to 15 broods as opposed to the former 5.

None.

Oct 30 2009, 2:03 am ClansAreForGays Post #60

Quote from xYoshix
No, it just has a higher max count.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 548 >
  Back to forum