Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Sep 19 2009, 2:57 am The Starport Post #21

Well you could have, for asking.

But meh.

None.

Sep 19 2009, 6:57 pm payne Post #22

:payne:

Quote from payne
So far, here are the parts we should get an article about. If you have any idea about something else to write about, please ask for it ^^ :

- Tile properties (elevation, blocking portions; especially with regards to unit widths)
- Painting techniques (drafting terrain in layers, revising, saving the details for last, etc.)
- Gameplay considerations (unit AI traps, firing distances, vision blocking, etc.)
- Badlands buildings (I'm not sure if this should deserve it's own part or if it should be into the "Ambiance" one under "City Landscape")
- Reproducing most known Jungle Blends (list to be established)
- Creating custom blends
- Isometric tiles comprehension
- Setting an ambiance (would probably contain sub-articles about how to make specific ambiances such as "Cave" or "Forest")
- Mixing up pieces nicely
- Doodads placement
- Tool usage (we'll only go over SCMD2 since it is the most used editor)
- Pro tips (that would be very general)

You can also start to claim your article :)

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Heh, I see you used some of my sample list. My list was very loose, just so you know. I'm not sure if you should prescribe specific article topics too heavily like that. At least, not first without careful consideration into the exact list of what's needed.

For instance: I think 'Doodad placement' could be covered with painting techniques and any tileset-specific tutorials, really. Also, tileset-specific stuff maybe should be organized and composed together, somehow. And each article should have a brainstorming thread before and while it's being composed into drafts. A 'who is doing what' compilation would also make this thread useful for organization.

In fact, I could even go as far as saying this entire wiki endeavor could be summarized with a single article or group of articles about the following:
  1. Using tools - SCMdraft 2's isometric placement, rectangular placement, subtile tweaking, individual tile placement (like for null, blocking tiles, and especially for blends), and copy pasta techniques (overlaps a bit with Isometric tile comprehension).
  2. Painting techniques - Starting with a draft, working in layers, refactoring existing terrain, cyclic drafting/re-drafting, and end polishing.
  3. Gameplay considerations (see above) - Vision blocking, unit attack ranges, unit pathfinding AI considerations, and trigger considerations (unplaceable errors and minimum clearance for 'create/move unit' with groups of units).
  4. Tile properties - Elevation, blocking properties, unit width considerations, special considerations (such as walkable null tiles and creep tiles).
  5. Isometric tile comprehension - Pattern of how isometric pieces of the terrain are configured out of regular, square tiles and how to work with those individual tiles out of the Tileset index list.
  6. Blending techniques - Defying isometric constraints, remixing terrain types, effects (with doodad tiles, especially), and sprite patching/enhancing.
That covers just about all the core elements of general terraining. Anything else is artistic/tileset-specific stuff that, really, is just a matter of playing around in the editor. There's no tutorial that can help against not being lazy, really. :bleh:

Edit: There's possibly room for additional sections on sprite work or, especially, on rectangular-only terraining; something a number of popular maps now utilize, such as that one Resident Evil map (I can't remember which), that Rainbow Six tactical map, Millenium Army's minigame map, and a number of others. But that's mostly just a specialized subset of blending, really, and is, again, a matter of playing around in the editor more than anything.
These 2 lists are getting more and more complete... should we start to think about the general format of the wiki itself?
How would we use the collapse, which article should come first, etc.?

P.S. I might do the "Tile Porperties" tutorial soon ;o

None.

Sep 19 2009, 10:20 pm The Starport Post #23

Ah excellent. Tile properties was one I thought I'd get to integrate into the isometric tutorial, but never managed to.

Collapse isn't as important in the wiki due to the Table of Content button on the side, which lets you jump around the document. Be sure to use those [h1], [h2], and [h3] BBCode tags for each chapter, sub-chapter, and section header, respectively, to facilitate that.

None.

Sep 19 2009, 11:01 pm payne Post #24

What I dislike is how the articles like Inferno's look... ugly in terms of format. You get what I mean?
It's a bit like Falkoner's tutorials... when they'll be incorporated into the wiki, the images will look ugly. Not exactly ugly in itself, but anyways... kinda hard to explain... I hope you get my point >.<

EDIT: I saw that TuxLar decided to post one of his tutorial as an individual work. What should we do? Post them all as individuals and create a little wiki with links to all of them as a "Table of Content"? I think we should have all the articles into the same wiki and have the Table of Content linking to parts of articles within the same page.
Also, should we delete all terrain related wiki and include them it our huge terrain wiki? Wikis like "Terrain Elevation" would get deleted and merged into ours. :O

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 20 2009, 1:40 am by payne.

None.

Sep 20 2009, 1:57 am The Starport Post #25

It's probably good design to decouple references and tutorials as much as possible, and thus use separate articles as much as possible. Then simply hyper link between articles as necessary. Having monolithic 'god' articles is a bad idea, generally. Though there's nothing wrong with a centralized 'hub' article that links to all the others accordingly.

That's how must wikis work, at least.

None.

Sep 20 2009, 2:10 am payne Post #26

That's how most wikis work, at least.
Fix'd ^^

Anyways, if you say so, it's probably right ;)

EDIT:
An article all ready for us: http://www.staredit.net/maplantis/index.php?sid=a44f42c60c;wiki=16

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 20 2009, 2:17 am by payne.

None.

Sep 20 2009, 2:25 am The Starport Post #27

Wow. I didn't even know about that trick. Neat stuff.

None.

Sep 20 2009, 10:04 pm payne Post #28

;)
Also, here is qPK's contribution:
Quote from PM from qPirateKing
Here are some thoughts I had on ambiance. I don't have time to write a full article.

Keep areas relatively small. This limits repetition and helps players notice little details. SC also has a weird scale, and huge sprawling rooms just don't make sense in terms of scale.

Use fog of war to create the illusion of darkness. SC doesn't do lighting very well, but you can use shared vision with neutral players or a unit's natural sight range to simulate it.

Don't use too many doodads. It clutters things and doesn't make sense.

For man made areas, repetition is OK, and possibly even encouraged. For natural areas, try to use as many different tiles and doodads as possible. Avoid mirrors.

Be imaginative. Use sprites and units in ways to enhance the look and feel of your areas. Try to imagine how an area would "feel" and try to capture that.
He gave us basic points about terraining itself. Thanks to him for this, it is probably enough so people can elaborate over those different points and make a nice article. Who wanna do so? :O

None.

Sep 22 2009, 5:47 am The Starport Post #29

I took down the Hub article topic. I figure the most important skill for any nub to learn is how to look up their own damn answers. The articles are all there now, so that shouldn't be difficult. If you're the kind of person that needs that kind of babying through each step, chances are you're not the kind of person who should be encouraged to make maps anyway.
pretentious elitism ftw!

None.

Sep 23 2009, 11:15 pm payne Post #30

Well, I think having a "Table of Content" as an individual wiki would help people to find quickly the articles... I guess I'll do it some times. ;o
Anyways, good job with your introduction to terraining's update, I've once again learned something new :D

None.

Sep 23 2009, 11:44 pm The Starport Post #31

ToC, a hub article... same difference. :P

I'll try to return to editing the rest of that article after the month so I can finish my Mafia map, first (among other things). If anyone wants a crack at it before then, be my guest!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 24 2009, 1:21 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Oct 17 2009, 11:55 pm xYoshix Post #32

I'd love to write a wiki article, but I don't know what to talk about. Does anyone have ideas?

None.

Oct 18 2009, 12:07 am payne Post #33

Either work on:
Terrain ambiance, draft by qPirateKing

Falkoner's site adaptation

Gameplay considerations

Blending techniques

Doodads placement, draft by samsizzle

You can also give us more terrainer-tips (anything!) and/or make us a nice "Table of Content" that would share links to all the external terrain-wiki articles (since we do not put everything in a single wiki).
There's also the Brush project that we must do for Suicidal-Insanity :)

None.

Oct 18 2009, 12:26 am xYoshix Post #34

I'll work on Blending Techniques xD

None.

Oct 18 2009, 3:34 am payne Post #35

Create your topic and work on it.
Have fun :D

None.

Nov 3 2009, 3:14 pm payne Post #36

Just a reminder : stickynote, tempz and samsizzle got unfinished articles. Please finish them? ^^
Tuxedo, if we could make a logical hub of everything in there, we could easily get it pin'd in the Terrain forum. A lot of people seems to find what they need in this project but do not know it exists :O
We'd also provide the ToC (Table of Content) in the Wiki section.
Anyone else would be willing to help on the project? It is still alive and still has things to get done.

Quote from payne
Either work on:
Terrain ambiance, draft by qPirateKing

Falkoner's site adaptation

Gameplay considerations

Blending techniques

Doodads placement, draft by samsizzle

You can also give us more terrainer-tips (anything!) and/or make us a nice "Table of Content" that would share links to all the external terrain-wiki articles (since we do not put everything in a single wiki).
There's also the Brush project that we must do for Suicidal-Insanity :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 3 2009, 3:26 pm by payne.

None.

Nov 3 2009, 6:11 pm samsizzle Post #37

Hey woah matey. I'm gonna finish it, don't get your buns in a knot! :hurr:

None.

Nov 3 2009, 10:02 pm Tempz Post #38

I second that...

This message was brought to you by The Russian Mafia *We break thumbs :D* jks XD

ill get on it then :stfu:

None.

Nov 4 2009, 1:47 am xYoshix Post #39

Ok I want to get started the "blending techniques" tutorial, but I'm not sure where to start. Will simple techniques like blends from high dirt to water and double cliffs be a part of it?

None.

Nov 4 2009, 4:08 am payne Post #40

Quote from xYoshix
Ok I want to get started the "blending techniques" tutorial, but I'm not sure where to start. Will simple techniques like blends from high dirt to water and double cliffs be a part of it?
Yup. It is pretty much in relation with Falk's site. Check it out, it has some work already done ;)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum