Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: Musical Guilty Pleasures
Musical Guilty Pleasures
Aug 13 2009, 12:57 pm
By: Hug A Zergling
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Aug 31 2009, 10:51 am MadZombie Post #21

Quote from name:Almost Alive
Escape The Fate.
...Embarrassed? But why, I don't even...

None.

Aug 31 2009, 11:04 am Excalibur Post #22

The sword and the faith

Quote from MadZombie
Escape The Fate.
Because they're generic, terrible, and generic.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 31 2009, 2:59 pm Hug A Zergling Post #23

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from MadZombie
Escape The Fate.
And this is just skimming the surface.

None.

Aug 31 2009, 7:50 pm Phobos Post #24

Are you sure about that?

Quote from Hug A Zergling
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from MadZombie
Escape The Fate.
And this is just skimming the surface.
They said all I had to say.

this is signature

Sep 1 2009, 4:30 am Dapperdan Post #25

I don't have any musical guilty pleasures. If I like it, I like it. No feeling guilty about it involved.

I think i used to have guilty pleasures, but I guess I grew out of it. Now, I don't really understand the thought process of liking something but being ashamed of liking it.

None.

Sep 1 2009, 5:28 am Vrael Post #26

Unfortunately, we cannot all be so clear-thinking as you, and many of us are subject to certain psychological pressures induced by a society which indoctrinates us with certain stereotypes. Not conforming to these stereotypes can induce a sense of guilt in the subject, by nature of association between "bad" and non-conformity, or because the subject desires to please his or her peers through conformity, and non-conformity leads the risk of being shunned or disliked, hence the feeling of being "bad" again through the actions of shunning and dislike, and from there arises the "guilt" in "guilty pleasures." Surely you can recognize some of these stigmas, merely by their generic names: "girly" music, for instance, can be reasonably defined as those genres which typically females enjoy according to statistical precedence, and if a guy were to like such music, he might be induced to feel guilty about it.

None.

Sep 1 2009, 1:11 pm Dapperdan Post #27

Quote from Vrael
Unfortunately, we cannot all be so clear-thinking as you, and many of us are subject to certain psychological pressures induced by a society which indoctrinates us with certain stereotypes. Not conforming to these stereotypes can induce a sense of guilt in the subject, by nature of association between "bad" and non-conformity, or because the subject desires to please his or her peers through conformity, and non-conformity leads the risk of being shunned or disliked, hence the feeling of being "bad" again through the actions of shunning and dislike, and from there arises the "guilt" in "guilty pleasures." Surely you can recognize some of these stigmas, merely by their generic names: "girly" music, for instance, can be reasonably defined as those genres which typically females enjoy according to statistical precedence, and if a guy were to like such music, he might be induced to feel guilty about it.

Quite the thorough review of it. I certainly understand it all. I just don't see how I would subject myself to that anymore.

None.

Sep 1 2009, 7:58 pm Zhuinden Post #28

I once looked at Meatspin only for the music... Otherwise, I try to keep my musical taste in its cage, where it belongs.

None.

Sep 1 2009, 8:04 pm Phobos Post #29

Are you sure about that?

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from Vrael

Quite the thorough review of it. I certainly understand it all. I just don't see how I would subject myself to that anymore.

In my particular case, I like the way Escape The Fate plays their instruments, while I acknowledge that their lyrics are certainly not at the level of some other writers from other bands I listen to. Same goes for Alesana.

this is signature

Sep 5 2009, 4:06 am Urahara Post #30

Escape the Fate and Johnny Cash ._.

None.

Sep 5 2009, 5:11 pm Norm Post #31

I have tendencies to enjoy Metalcore, Stoner Rock, Power Metal, and some Punk Crossover bands.

I'm still mainly a Death Metal kinda guy though.

None.

Sep 6 2009, 2:15 am Fierce Post #32

I'm a rock, metal and heavy metal kind of guy but I actually like the song Beautiful by Eminem. His other songs are pure garbage.

None.

Sep 6 2009, 2:34 am Norm Post #33

Quote from Fierce
I'm a rock, metal and heavy metal kind of guy but I actually like the song Beautiful by Eminem. His other songs are pure garbage.

Why do you list Metal and Heavy Metal seperately?

None.

Sep 7 2009, 5:25 am Centreri Post #34

Relatively ancient and inactive

Honestly, I know next to no one who listens to the music I listen to, so there's not much to be embarrassed about there. No one can understand it. Otherwise...

I listen to ABBA, Linkin Park, Serj Tankian, Depeche Mode and Alizée. Which should I be embarrassed about?

None.

Sep 7 2009, 7:34 am Jack Post #35

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Eh, I don't know how embarassing this is, but I enjoy Lily Allen songs from time to time, specifically 22.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 7 2009, 2:47 pm Dapperdan Post #36

Quote from name:zany_001
Eh, I don't know how embarassing this is, but I enjoy Lily Allen songs from time to time, specifically 22.

Fuck You Very Much

None.

Sep 7 2009, 9:14 pm Fierce Post #37

Quote from Norm
Quote from Fierce

Why do you list Metal and Heavy Metal seperately?
Because I say heavy metal instead of death metal, speed metal, and the likes. It makes things much easier to keep up with instead of figuring out which band belongs to a certain category. Metal, for me, is like Metallica while Heavy Metal for me would be Gorgoroth even though they belong in a death metal category, I just categorize other hardcore metal bands as Heavy Metal. I know its wrong to categorize them like this but its much easier to understand.

None.

Sep 7 2009, 11:50 pm Norm Post #38

Yeah, I know what you mean, It was just confusing to me because my image of Heavy Metal is the genre definition (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar etc.) I could see how you would want to classify the heavier Metal as "Heavy Metal" Though.

None.

Sep 8 2009, 2:11 am Riney Post #39

Thigh high affectionado

I listen to more rap then rock :|

Bet nobody knew that

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Oct 1 2009, 7:49 pm Ultraviolet Post #40

I like some of 3OH!3's songs :\ I've only told a couple of people.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum