Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Impossible SEN (lol pun)
Impossible SEN (lol pun)
Jul 27 2009, 5:00 am
By: CecilSunkure
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Jul 30 2009, 6:48 pm Conspiracy Post #41

I'm in.

I would like the Kakaru as my unit. As long as you don't mind that is :P If you don't want air units I can pick another.

I will have my scenario ready by the time it reaches me. You may have to remind me on USEast, or PM me here.

Also, I would suggest everyone show which Dcs and which switches they have used by changing the names, then we can reset the names aftwerwords. This will make for easy identification.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 30 2009, 7:14 pm by Conspiracy.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 1:26 am Demented Shaman Post #42

I don't like the idea of editing any stats at all, even heroes. If you want something strong just use more than one hero.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 1:28 am CecilSunkure Post #43

Quote from name:Pariah
I don't like the idea of editing any stats at all, even heroes. If you want something strong just use more than one hero.
Agreed.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 1:56 am XGenesis Post #44

Wait I dont understand! D:
After you accept our "registrations", we start making a tiny 1 level impossible map, then we send it to you? :3

I'm a fairly beginner map maker, so I'm just wondering how you will extract the triggers, terrain, etc. Would you just copy + paste units and terrain?

P.S. If my question is answered, then I would like to join as a ghost or battlecruiser. My level would be : each player gets some (number is arrangable) ghosts and one ultralisk each. There are tons of battlecruiser and they need to lockdown all of them before they die. Battlecruisers CAN detect cloak. To beat it, you need to quickly lockdown all the battlecruisers, then focus fire to kill them faster.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 3:23 am CecilSunkure Post #45

We will take turns editing a single map, so you don't make your own, I'll have it set up once I have most of the people signed up.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 9:54 pm Kaias Post #46

I vote 5 human players. Having and keeping six players can be a major pain and the more players there are makes coordinating sloppier. Having an extra computer could also be useful.

None.

Jul 31 2009, 10:33 pm XGenesis Post #47

Quote from CecilSunkure
We will take turns editing a single map, so you don't make your own, I'll have it set up once I have most of the people signed up.

Count me in then! My Unit will be the battlecruiser, or ghost. Whichever is open!

None.

Aug 1 2009, 1:06 am CecilSunkure Post #48

Quote from Kaias
I vote 5 human players. Having and keeping six players can be a major pain and the more players there are makes coordinating sloppier. Having an extra computer could also be useful.
Fine with me, if there aren't too many objections we can have 5 human slots and 3 computer.

The amount of people signing up to help out with this map has stopped growing at a fast rate. So tonight I will edit the OP and include some specific instructions on how to edit the map during your turn, more specific details on how the editing will be done, and I will create a list of available units to use as deathcounts.

Also, pertaining to specifics I have mentioned in the OP like the randomization of the sets, and the level picking system will be put into the map unless someone comes up with a better suggestion at some point. If I have missed any important details that need to be dealt with before editing on the map can be done, now would be a great time to speak up.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 1 2009, 1:11 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Aug 1 2009, 9:18 am Sie_Sayoka Post #49

Is the tileset jungle?

Also may I suggest a rescuable player. I thought it would be a good idea to have a level where all players colors are the same (not saying that I would do that) It would require greater teamwork and communication than normal. Also because there really isn't any need for that many computer players.

Regarding the random unit selection: I think this should be expanded upon regarding the difficulty of the level. ie. short levels would have only have simple tier 1 units and longer, more complex levels would have heroes and tier 2 along with tier 1 units. (tier 1 and tier 2 are basically marine/zealot and tank/guardian respectively) All levels should have a third choice of spellcasters. This is to ensure that the randomization process is not TOO random leading in the level literally being impossible.

Player colors: I personally hate purple, orange, brown, and yellow.

Banning system: minimum of 3 votes, ending in crash of the program. There really is too many hackers out there.

Briefing: Briefings are always a waste of time, especially on impossible maps and by extension in-game intros. The sheer number of remakes will accumulate in a horrendous amount of time wasted. All you need are mission objectives that change each level.

Level failure ending in defeat: This will lead to overall increased spread of the map and replayability.

None.

Aug 1 2009, 7:44 pm Kaias Post #50

Here's the alpha version of my entry; don't worry about integrating it- I can do it easily.

Level Name: Tunnelers
Tileset: Jungle
Human players: 5
Terrain usage: 50x23 tiles
Number of units: 72
Altered stats: None
Triggers: 13
Locations: 4
Difficulty: Unknown

Attachments:
Imp Sen Kaias.scx
Hits: 4 Size: 43.7kb

None.

Aug 8 2009, 7:58 am CecilSunkure Post #51

OP updated, the map will be available very soon to begin editing. Sie and I will each have our levels to be the "standard" at which the rest of us can create their own level.

To keep all the levels similar and professional looking as possible, I want to go around each level with a vision blocking tile, like this:

I will incorporate a dropban, a level picking system as described earlier by Sie, and a randomization method that randomizes a static set of units specific to each level.

None.

Aug 8 2009, 7:27 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #52

If the levels are that close together we should enable invincibility to the units.

None.

Aug 8 2009, 11:50 pm payne Post #53

:payne:

I really loved how worked Imp Crepuscular:
- The choose system was nice and simple
- The levels' initiation: all units were placed as player 9 to 12 and were given respectively to some computers (like p9=normal unit -> p8, p10=heroes -> p7)

That's it :P

None.

Aug 13 2009, 1:31 am Funkapotimus Post #54

Im excited to see what all of you come up with, its nice to see a impo collab map thats being done outside of clan ximp. Hope everything goes well for you guys.

None.

Aug 13 2009, 3:05 am Pyro682 Post #55

Count me in. I'd like to collaberate with payne a bit, and design a level in which people micro Tassadars (It can be done) with Vultures.

Btw, I'd like the Fenix (Goon) or Tassadar (High Templar Hero)

I can come up with two levels, if you want. I'd love to throw my microing vulture in there.

None.

Aug 13 2009, 7:03 pm LolCakeLazors Post #56

Could I join?
I'm kind of a noob mapper but I've done well at Warcraft 3 map making.

I would like Siege Tank or any other unit.

Also, can I PM you if I have any questions later?

None.

Aug 13 2009, 7:30 pm rockz Post #57

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I've always wanted to have a level where you actually have to use infested terrans properly. Perhaps each player gets 2 ITs, then have 3-4 cloaked photon cannons (bunkers?) you have to destroy. Scanner sweep is disabled during this level (if you have it). It should be simple, and very easy to make harder, especially if you start stacking the photon cannons.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 13 2009, 8:18 pm CecilSunkure Post #58

Quote from Ahli
I want the sunken colony because my name should appear in my level and I don't want to show that there are infesteds before you start the level :D
-> Ahli claims "Zerg Sunken Colony"

Well.. A sunken colony in the level selection box would be.. Creepy. I'll need a different unit for the selection box with your name on it (you can still have your name on the sunken as well).

For now I'll give you the Unclean One. If you want me to change that, lemme know ;o

Quote from LolCakeLazors
Could I join?
I'm kind of a noob mapper but I've done well at Warcraft 3 map making.

I would like Siege Tank or any other unit.

Also, can I PM you if I have any questions later?
Yes you can join, someone JUST took that unit, I'll give you the goliath. Lemme know if you don't like the goliath though. And sure, feel free to pm me or Sie_Sayoka.

@ Rockz
Sounds like a fun level, do it.

For the intro to this map, I used an ascii generator (found here) and made a large text picture of "Imp Sen". I used the lean font since it was simple to tweak in the editor, and it looks nice. The I is red, the S is green, and the rest is <1e>, which is a greyish color. It looks pretty good. I'll have the view start in a black corner of the map, and then after a second display the text, then after a couple more seconds center view on the selection box. The selection box will have a help menu on the LEFT of the ghost (used to shoot junkyarded units with our names) in case people get confused on how to work the map. I also want a border around each level of a 1x1 rec tile, something to block at least low terrain view. I have an example posted in an earlier post, and since nobody complained I will go along with it. I should have the map available to view with mine and Sie's level shortly. Then we can discuss what should be changed//added to the map concerning the overall properties, layouts, and functions. Once the map is finetuned to all our liking, we can begin adding on levels.

As for the randomization method.. We will have 5 humans. If we wanted each human to have a random choice between two different unit/groups of units, then each level would need a total of 10 different units to choose from, or 10 different groups of units to choose from. As for the randomization technique, we can just use single switch randomization.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Aug 13 2009, 8:43 pm by CecilSunkure.

None.

Aug 14 2009, 12:43 am LolCakeLazors Post #59

Questions:
1. Do you have to have 3 computers? If so, do they have to be on the other team?
2. Can the humans be split up into groups like two humans distract the enemy while the other 3 destroy the base?

Btw, the Goliath was taken. I would like Torrasque (Ultralisk)

None.

Aug 14 2009, 3:32 am payne Post #60

:payne:

Okay, again, I must complain (:P) on certain things and I also had some ideas to share with you:

1) Changing units' names is so unprofessional (at least, to me) and why is it that important to all have a unit named to our name? If it's for credits purpose, simply set-up a list of creators at the end of the map, once beaten (just like AstroGears is doing) or in the Mission Briefing
2) Intro in impossible maps are especially annoying because of the fact that you get to remake often and you must always fucking look at this stupid animated text intro made by a retarded Korean who thinks he's cool by casting a lot of pings on each of his levels without having them shown yet by the mini-map (lol, had to say that). Anyways, the fact is, even an intro of only 4 seconds will become obviously annoying/hated (and is unprofessional, once again, to me) if this map gets popular and played often. One of the reason why Impossible Crepuscular didn't get thrown into the trash by players is also (without necessary having them knowing it) because it do not contain such an intro
3) We do not need to have random sets of units to be chosen for each of our levels (I hope so!), true?
4) I'd love my level to look like this, but it may require more locations then what is currently being given for each of us: at start, a computer owns a Civilian (he's allied to us) and says "Let's move on!" and starts running through the ennemies' army and your goal is to keep him alive to any cost. It would then require very fast action/thinking/scanning/ etc... to save his ass up. On this level, I'd also love to have access to a bigger terrain to make the randomization not into the player's units but into the civlians' path :O That would simply... be epic, seriously :D If you refuse this, I'll probably simply make my own Imposs map with this idea on many levels, lol (I really love it :P). How do you like it? I may also want to randomize some enemies (which would suck up even more locations), but if this level becomes too repetitive, it'll probably become too easy to work with it

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum