Staredit Network > Forums > > Topic: ISSUE #1
ISSUE #1
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jul 23 2009, 9:55 pm
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Jul 29 2009, 1:18 am Moose Post #21

We live in a society.

Perhaps you want seek the author's permission (assuming he is the original author) to include this. It's a decent satire, regardless of how many people demonstrated that it went over their heads by replying seriously.

Jul 29 2009, 3:24 am Jack Post #22

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Lol moose, I doubt anyone who replied were being serious, they were just playing along.

Does anyone know where that list of bnet stereotypes is? It might fit for humour.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 29 2009, 6:42 am UnholyUrine Post #23

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from JaFF
Quote from UnholyUrine
Also, the spray effect of the interceptors when ordered to Junk Yard Dog was also pioneered by this map.
JYD works on Interceptors?!

And I think you should remove the sperm references in the article. :P
Plan to.

I knew you would.
It's unfortunate that you are going to do that instead of suggesting another, more appropriate reference.
Which goes back to what I've been saying all along, an editor cannot correct the articles' style. If you don't like it, then suggest changes. Do not remove/mutilate parts yourself unless there are factual/grammatical mistakes. You can simply not accept the article if you dislike the style <.<... That's the Writers' problem.

Yep... I'm pretty worried that this is going to be shit boring, and just a bunch of bogus people blabbing about a GAME and trying to sound mature while doing it.. It's a GAME folks!!! you guys take this way too srsly... :\

On that note, change the sperm thing into Feces and make Shuttles = Monkeys.. so it's Monkey throwing Feces at each other :D.. Or, if that's not your bag, then change Interceptors into Screeching notes and Shuttles into Fat Ladies and name it Opera Arena... Or whatever you seem fit.

None.

Jul 29 2009, 7:51 pm Demented Shaman Post #24

Making it shit stupid is just as bad as making it shit boring.

None.

Jul 30 2009, 12:20 am ClansAreForGays Post #25

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Perhaps you want seek the author's permission (assuming he is the original author) to include this. It's a decent satire, regardless of how many people demonstrated that it went over their heads by replying seriously.
Humor (now Untitled Scenario) - this
Moose, I am.... disappoint.

Jul 30 2009, 2:02 am ClansAreForGays Post #26

All further criticism of SENzine as a whole can be directed here - http://www.staredit.net/topic/8094/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 30 2009, 11:53 pm by ClansAreForGays.

Jul 30 2009, 11:35 pm Demented Shaman Post #27

What is your target audience? B.netters.. Are they 1/2 retarded? Yes! So what'd you write? Half retarded stuff!!
That might be the best point you've ever made. However, when I first heard of the zine I thought that people in other communities would be looking at it and I think we should show that we can put out a serious "product" and that we are a legitimate community that is passionate about what we do. Humor does not have to be something completely silly, immature, or stupid.

None.

Aug 4 2009, 4:12 am FatalException Post #28

What's the deadline for article submission on this issue?

None.

Aug 4 2009, 5:47 am ClansAreForGays Post #29

There can be no deadline when there is nothing to enforce it with. There is only a goal to be reached.

Aug 6 2009, 12:17 am FatalException Post #30

There can be no deadline when there is nothing to enforce it with. There is only a goal to be reached.
... And that goal is...?

None.

Aug 6 2009, 2:59 am ClansAreForGays Post #31

Read the first post.

Hell, break out of the box and contribute to one of the listed things while you're at it.

Aug 14 2009, 10:33 pm Doodle77 Post #32

Extended Unit Deaths
by Doodle77 (Channel ops, former moderator, Static SEN owner)

If you've ever visited the Mapmaking Assistance forum, no doubt you have seen a topic of "Useful EUD links." You may even have heard of Devilesk's Eggball using EUDs. But what are EUDs?

In short, EUDs (Extended Unit Deaths) are a way of using the Deaths trigger condition to read things other than death counts, or the Set Deaths action to write to things other than death counts. Now we'll take a closer look at how they work.

Starcraft's data memory is located in a single block starting at 0x00510000 (the 5308416th byte of memory) <<check this>>. At 0x0058A364 (about 500 kilobytes later) the area used to store death counts begins. The data is arranged in a manner that is efficient for Starcraft to access: there is one group of twelve numbers (corresponding to players 1-12) for each unit (228 in all). So when Starcraft wishes to get the death count of Terran Goliaths (unit #3) for player 5, it goes to the fourth group of numbers (because the first unit is unit#0) and then takes the fifth number from that group.

But what happens when we tell Starcraft to get the deaths for unit 1340? This isn't a real unit, but Starcraft does not check this. So it goes to the 1340th group of twelve numbers, which is past the end of the death table. Since Starcraft's data is (for the most part) all in one block, this data is something unrelated to deaths. If we read the deaths of 1340 for Player 1, we have ended up reading the piece of data at 0x599EA4. Through the use of extended units, we have made it possible to read any part of Starcraft's memory after the deaths table

<<will write more later>>

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 14 2009, 10:39 pm by Doodle77.

None.

Aug 15 2009, 4:47 am Jack Post #33

Its too complex for a bnet noob. Is the observer for speading the word about SEN, or for SENners?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 15 2009, 6:00 am ClansAreForGays Post #34

I like it, and will put it in. If you read the other topics in this sub-forum and the original idea topic, you would already know zany.

Aug 15 2009, 7:03 am Jack Post #35

I like it, and will put it in. If you read the other topics in this sub-forum and the original idea topic, you would already know zany.

I did, although I forgot much of what was said. I re-read it and it seems it's supposed to get out to as many people as possible, to gain recognition and beta keys from blizzard. Bnet noobr and other, non-mapping communities are probably the best bet for that, and most won't understand or care about what EUDs. Not that it's not a great article, but most SENners already know and almost everyone else doesn't care.

Red classic.

Aug 15 2009, 11:00 am LoveLess Post #36

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

SC2: Today's SC2 Topic is... StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3, which one will come out first? Cast your votes now for a limited time only gift: Cake! Yes folks, you read right... Cake! If however, you do not participate, we will track down your IP through this newsletter and you will get the wonderful pleasure of spending the day with Excalibur! Then you tell us, man... Or woman.

Humor: That actually works out. And if you run out of room, just take a quote from Tux or something. Humorous maps from the past can get some light, like Tux's old random missile defense or what-not.

Trends/Rumor Mill: Remove this portion. Immediately.

Modding & SEN: Not my cup 'a tea.

None.

Aug 15 2009, 5:56 pm Heinermann Post #37

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Starcraft's data memory is located in a single block starting at 0x00510000 (the 5308416th byte of memory) <<check this>>. At 0x0058A364 (about 500 kilobytes later)
What the hell is that? The rest of the explanation is even worse. Also, we don't modify the unit number anymore.
START OVER

Assume that
1) The reader doesn't know what 0x######## or a "memory address" is.
2) The reader doesn't know what a "deaths table" is.
3) The reader doesn't know that death counts are stored in a block of memory.
4) The reader doesn't know ANYTHING except for basic english.

Aug 16 2009, 3:17 pm Doodle77 Post #38

Quote from Heinermann
Starcraft's data memory is located in a single block starting at 0x00510000 (the 5308416th byte of memory) <<check this>>. At 0x0058A364 (about 500 kilobytes later)
What the hell is that? The rest of the explanation is even worse. Also, we don't modify the unit number anymore.
Yes we do. Maybe not over in Conceptland where you've figured out about players, but this is about extended unit deaths.
START OVER

Assume that
1) The reader doesn't know what 0x######## or a "memory address" is.
2) The reader doesn't know what a "deaths table" is.
3) The reader doesn't know that death counts are stored in a block of memory.
4) The reader doesn't know ANYTHING except for basic english.

Sorry, I figured I wasn't writing for wikipedia, lemme fix that:

Extended Unit Deaths
by Doodle77 (Channel ops, former moderator, Static SEN owner)

If you've ever visited the Mapmaking Assistance forum, no doubt you have seen a topic of "Useful EUD links." You may even have heard of Devilesk's Eggball using EUDs. But what are EUDs?

In short, EUDs (Extended Unit Deaths) are a way of using the Deaths trigger condition to read things other than death counts, or the Set Deaths action to write to things other than death counts. Now we'll take a closer look at how they work.

Starcraft's data memory , which is used to store everything related to the game is located in a single block starting atthe memory address 0x00510000 (the 5308416th byte of virtual memory) <<check this>>. At 0x0058A364 (about 500 kilobytes later) the area used to store death counts begins. The data is arranged in a manner that is efficient for Starcraft to access: there is one group of twelve numbers (corresponding to players 1-12) for each http://staredit.net/wiki/Unit_Types (228 in all). So when Starcraft wishes to get the death count of Terran Goliaths ([url=http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Units_(Types)">unit #3 - units (along with everything else) are numbered starting with zero) for player 5, it goes to the fourth group of numbers and then takes the fifth number from that group.

But the units are just represented as numbers here, so what happens when we tell Starcraft to get the deaths for unit #1340? This isn't a real unit, but Starcraft does not check this. So it goes to the 1341st group of twelve numbers (remember that units are numbered starting with zero), which is past the end of the area used to store unit deaths. Since Starcraft's data is (for the most part) all in one block, this data is something unrelated to deaths. If we read the deaths of 1340 for Player 1, we have ended up reading the piece of data at the memory address 0x599EA4. Through the use of extended units, we have made it possible to read any part of Starcraft's memory after the deaths table

<<will write more later>>

Also, tell ip to fix this escape() bullshit.

None.

Aug 17 2009, 12:43 am Heinermann Post #39

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Yes we do. Maybe not over in Conceptland where you've figured out about players, but this is about extended unit deaths.
Heh, so this tabloid thing is nothing but old news with a new face.

I expected at least something decent or worthwhile for others to read, but I guess I was wrong. The "SEN Observer" has just lost my interest.

Aug 17 2009, 1:07 am ClansAreForGays Post #40

I suggested that you write the EUD article a long time back and you never do. Doodle comes along and gives his spin on it and you . One person writes one thing on one subject and you're ready to throw the baby out with the bath water because of one thing that irked you. I always thought of you as one of the more reasonable and intelligent people here at sen...

Nothing's stopping you from improving anything.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum